Weather this year in Alaska (2013)

Fat Bottom Gurl

We are southbound on the Sapphire Princess on Sept. 13. I've been looking at the weather for August and see that it has been very cool and quite rainy in Alaska. I live in the Canadian prairies and right now we are in a heatwave with temps in the high 80s (going to be 33 C today) and have had no rain for the month of August and the heatwave looks like it will be continuing into September.

Anyway - last time I went on the Alaskan cruise (Sept 2008) the weather was just incredible and the seas smooth as glass.

I realize that we are still 3 weeks to sail date, but was just wondering if the weather has been unseasonably cool and rainy this year in Alaska.

Thanks,

FBG

Have been to Alaska five times --- always had been rainy EXCEPT THIS YEAR. We were there for two weeks end of July, beginning of August and did not have rain. It was also very warm by Alaska standards (70s). Very enjoyable and a wonderful trip. I was prepared for any type of weather though basically wore my sandals and my one pair of capri pants most of the time. Locals were "complaining with a smile" that it was too warm.

Got to remember that Alaska is geographically huge and we have many different regional weather differences. Cruises visit Southeast Alaska (aka The Panhandle and the location of the inside passage) where the mountains and proximity to the ocean create wet and rainy conditions throughout the year. For those who visit Southcentral Alaska or the Interior, things can be different. There's no one set weather model for the state and pinpoint weather forecasting is difficult due to our diverse geography.

Got to remember that Alaska is geographically huge and we have many different regional weather differences. Cruises visit Southeast Alaska (aka The Panhandle and the location of the inside passage) where the mountains and proximity to the ocean create wet and rainy conditions throughout the year. For those who visit Southcentral Alaska or the Interior, things can be different. There's no one set weather model for the state and pinpoint weather forecasting is difficult due to our diverse geography.

Thanks Chenega - I was looking at the Weather Channel and saw all this rain for Anchorage and temps seemed to be around 55 to 65 for the month of August. And then looked at the ports like Skagway, etc and forecast (at least for next week) is looking like rain. I would imagine the interior to be much different temps than the coast.

Thanks Chenega - I was looking at the Weather Channel and saw all this rain for Anchorage and temps seemed to be around 55 to 65 for the month of August. And then looked at the ports like Skagway, etc and forecast (at least for next week) is looking like rain. I would imagine the interior to be much different temps than the coast.

Just prepare for possible rain and you'll be fine. Right now at our home in Chugiak (about 20 miles north of Anchorage), the temperature is 61 degrees and sunny. Good lawn mowing weather;).

On, I think it was Thursday, they said after our lovely 38 days in a row of 70+ temperatures in July/August, that over the past 3 weeks, we had gotten 6 inches of rain, including 3 in the last week (that's why I have such a large variety of mushrooms in the yard). It was been nice for the last 2 1/2 days, but, the forecast is for the rain to move in again.

Susan in Anchorage :)

I would imagine the interior to be much different temps than the coast.

While Fairbanks didn't have many days in the 90sF we did set a record for number of days over 80F. While Fairbanks' climate is described as an arctic desert, we were even dryer than normal this summer. It is remarkable that we didn't have a bad forest fire season.

Archived