Elite: Starting to feel less appreciated by Celebrity

djjoe

I have a dumb question.

You always ID yourself in "Drydock" Why?

Until i'm on board a floating ship, I'm confined to dry dock.

That will change when we board Constellation for five cruises in October-November.

But you DO get the benefits that were spelled out to you when you joined the Captain's Club - all the Elite benefits. You get what was bargained for.

When we joined Captain's Club after our first cruise back in 93, we arrived for our second cruise, flashed our Captain's Club card and we were allowed to join the cordoned-off suite line.

Once a person is given a perk, one notices when it is taken away. It does not show up in print but there have been extraordinary boarding experiences as well as onboard recognition for frequent cruisers.

When we joined Captain's Club after our first cruise back in 93, we arrived for our second cruise, flashed our Captain's Club card and we were allowed to join the cordoned-off suite line.

Once a person is given a perk, one notices when it is taken away. It does not show up in print but there have been extraordinary boarding experiences as well as onboard recognition for frequent cruisers.

Let me try this from a slightly different perspective. There are what I'd call "official" benefits. These include all the benefits listed for each Captain's Club level and stateroom benefits. These benefits have been fairly constant over the years. There is another type of benefits. For the lack of a better term I'll call these "past practice" benefits. These are things that have typically be done for specific categories of cruisers such as top cruisers. These benefits have included invitations to Captain's Tables, Special check in and boarding, bottles of wine, flowers and complimentary specialty dinners. Not benefits in the sense of being listed, but rather special treatment that has developed over the years. It is this area of benefits that has seen reduction or elimination. The newer cruiser is most likely not even aware that they exist. However, many long time cruisers see the removal or reduction of these past practice benefits as a real loss of recognition. Arguments can be made for both sides.

By cruising frequently in balconies or concierge a person can spend way more than the occasional suite cruiser in any given year.

We spent four months cruising with Celebrity last year and there are at least a dozen couples who have a similar habit. When Celebrity recognizes one type of big spender and ignores others, there will be consequences when loyalty is not reciprocated.

Understandable. If one cruises for four months a year you would think you would receive very special benefits and certainly would never have any benefits removed. Perhaps the anticipated changes to the Captain Club program will benefit your type of cruiser. It was not that long ago that the overall program was very weak without any significant benefits at any level. I remember paying to be a member.

On the other hand as I have stated previously I believe Celebrity needs to find ways to improve the benefits that come with a full suite especially for those that do not find value in a Butler. Just to remain competitive.

I would hope that the end result is not a choice, but an improvement in both.

Good luck and hopefully you will enjoy the "new program".

I've only got 20 on Celebrity, but it is my preferred line (despite what just happened to me this week, having just missed my Aug 23 Millie sailing).

I'm a solo traveller, and could never get near a suite.

But 2 or 3 cruises ago, I was recognized by a ship's officer, who called me by name and told me how many cruises I'd done with them. Never ever had THAT happen before. Made me feel like a million bucks, and it dodn't cost Celebrity a penny.

THAT's why I will always give them my business and recommend them to everyone I know.

Marc

I guess I must walk around in a daze while on a cruise. In over 20 cruise on Celebrity, I have NEVER noticed that I was sailing on a dirty, shabby, or rusty ship.

I don't recall ever having to wait on a long line to check in, I go the the line marked for my class cabin & may have to wait for a few people ago arrived before I did.

Some sailings the Elite cocktail function is in Michael's Club, some it's in the lounge forward, or there may be coupons. No matter.

I have never noticed that there are too many suite passengers crowding the cocktail hour, or that there were too many of those :eek: Royal Caribbean passengers drinking MY free cocktails. I certainly never noticed that they were given more attention than me, & I am ELITE!

Are there too many at the Elite level of the Captain's Club?, sure & they most likely will be adding a level or two. (I am sure there will even more bi#~+ing then!).

Whatever the new perks, if any, I will use them or not, depending on if they appeal to me. I'll probably just keep on walking around in my fog, enjoying my cruise.

Love your attitude. :)

If you can afford to go on all those cruises, you can likely afford to pay for your hotel room and taxi like the rest of us. Sounds like a first world problem to me.

I'm a loyal customer, but I can only afford to cruise once a year. But, I pay for my own transportation and hotel. Why are you more loyal because you're wealthy enough to go on more cruises?

Tom

While I find this "I'm special, Bow to me" attitude distasteful, I think you are missing the point.

Celebrity should do these things for the multi multi Elite cruisers because it is in the company's own interest to cater to them.

End of story !

"Let me try this from a slightly different perspective. There are what I'd call "official" benefits. These include all the benefits listed for each Captain's Club level and stateroom benefits. These benefits have been fairly constant over the years. There is another type of benefits. For the lack of a better term I'll call these "past practice" benefits. These are things that have typically be done for specific categories of cruisers such as top cruisers. These benefits have included invitations to Captain's Tables, Special check in and boarding, bottles of wine, flowers and complimentary specialty dinners. Not benefits in the sense of being listed, but rather special treatment that has developed over the years. It is this area of benefits that has seen reduction or elimination. The newer cruiser is most likely not even aware that they exist. However, many long time cruisers see the removal or reduction of these past practice benefits as a real loss of recognition. Arguments can be made for both sides."

If these perks were things you got on all your past cruises, and they have suddenly been eliminated, then yes I can see why you would be upset.

But on the other hand...if Celebrity meant them to be surprise perks, special recognition, then by definition they were not to be "expected" like the listed Elite benefits, and I don't think treating them as an entitlement is right, either.

I've only got 20 on Celebrity, but it is my preferred line (despite what just happened to me this week, having just missed my Aug 23 Millie sailing).

I'm a solo traveller, and could never get near a suite.

But 2 or 3 cruises ago, I was recognized by a ship's officer, who called me by name and told me how many cruises I'd done with them. Never ever had THAT happen before. Made me feel like a million bucks, and it dodn't cost Celebrity a penny.

THAT's why I will always give them my business and recommend them to everyone I know.

Marc

Sometimes it is just the little things that can make a big difference:D. Unfortunately, this can work both ways though.

By cruising frequently in balconies or concierge a person can spend way more than the occasional suite cruiser in any given year.

We spent four months cruising with Celebrity last year and there are at least a dozen couples who have a similar habit. When Celebrity recognizes one type of big spender and ignores others, there will be consequences when loyalty is not reciprocated.

You are absolutely correct.

In your four months you also ate enough to feed a small African tribe for a year and cruised thousands and thousands of miles. Food and fuel are the two largest variable costs for the cruise line. In consuming so much you generated enough profit to pay for the captain's taxi to the airport on his way home at the end of his segment. A suite guest paid for his flight.

you are absolutely correct.

In your four months you also ate enough to feed a small african tribe for a year and cruised thousands and thousands of miles. Food and fuel are the two largest variable costs for the cruise line. In consuming so much you generated enough profit to pay for the captain's taxi to the airport on his way home at the end of his segment. A suite guest paid for his flight.

lol, :D

When DH and I were children we often went to bed cold and very hungry. When we first got married we lived from day to day and most times there was more week than money, so again cold and hungry. Through the sheer hard work ethic of DH, working very long hours at a very physical job, and me working long hours as well as bringing up two children we have managed to save a little over the years and started cruising many years ago managing outside cabins for very short cruises but we were happy. I will never forget the look on DHs face when for the first time we managed to afford a concierge suite. He was so proud of us and said "Who would have thought people as poor as us could afford this." It brought tears to my eyes. We sail with different companies now snd book where the itinerary and price suits us, sometimes balcony, sometimes suite, but never ever once for the perks.I do not need to eat with the crew to know my DH is special and we have only ever been to one cocktail party, where the constant " What status are you? Oh I am diamond plus you know" made us laugh. The only people we need to "recognise" our achievements and booking preferences are us.

I have been Elite status for a long time now (started cruising X in 1993, and have 23 cruises since). I think in fairness, there is a definite change in how it 'feels' to be Elite now versus say 10 years ago. Please know - I still love Celebrity, still appreciate the Elite benefits, and so forth. At the same time, the change is noticeable and I think if you have cruised X for awhile you can feel the difference, and honestly you do miss feeling more 'special' than you do now. It is only human. I am not sure where the fine line is on this point between stating it for the record and just commiserating with other impacted passengers, and being seen as an ungrateful complainer.:)

There are basically two reasons for this. One is of course sheer numbers. No one is special if everyone is special (ok, not everyone but the Elite numbers are now huge). Second, Celebrity is making no bones about their intent to go after the more affluent customers. This has been blatantly stated by the CEO in pretty much so many words. This is a change from the past where loyalty was seemingly valued over sheer cost per cabin. I know behind the scenes there was often some extra attention given to high level suites and so forth, but now it is blatant. Now someone is saying to your face, you are not as important because you are not paying as much. It is one thing to know it, it is another to have it be so obvious. Yes, that's life. Yes, it's a business and this is no different from most businesses. At the same time, for many people it is a statement that before you were an important and valued guest; now not so much. It is more about that, than about what others are getting per se. It is human to react (but not overreact) to that message IMHO.:)

So true. My last cruise was a B2B on Millie and I got a bargain rate. X lost my luggage--all of it. (X took possession at the airport and it was put on the wrong ship and later recovered after the first 4-day cruise.) Anyway, the Guest Rel Mgr. Phillip said they'd "need to check to see what I paid for my cruise" before deciding how/if they'd help me. It didn't matter that I am elite he told me. That was two years ago. Very disappointing response from X for their mistake. Long story and I don't want to hijack the thread but I haven't been back.

In my opinion, the most dangerous word/concept in the world is "entitlement". Look how much energy (and not inconsiderable anger) is generated on a cruise forum where everyone involved is among the more fortunate people on earth.

I don't care if the CC program defines benefits. We are not entitled to a single one of them. They are free and in addition to what we all cruise and pay for (although too many people lose sight of that fact). When I choose a sailing, I do it for what I have come to expect in the way of facilities, service, ambiance, etc. and for the friends that are sailing or that I expect to make. All of that comes for a price that I am satisfied with at the time of booking. If the price goes down and I can get it, wonderful. If not, I am still satisfied or I wouldn't have booked it in the first place. I would have a serious ulcer if I booked something I didn't like in the hope of getting a better price.

I will gladly accept any "extra" any loyaylty program offers me (and that includes some of the very valuable benefits I get from Delta because of my over 2 million miles with them) but I will not feel mistreated if a business makes changes in order to stay in business. I would rather cruise with a great basic product and no extras than see Celebrity either go out of business or cut the basics to pay for perks.

And I really don't understand flaming people who have spent more money than I have (in some cases by hundreds of thousands) who expect that they will continue to receive a little something that recognizes their contriubtion to the bottom line, whether that be on the current cruise or over a period of time.

Going on any holiday with the wrong attitude will spoil if before it even starts.

My advise would be to expect nothing extra (Even if you have lived on a Celebrity ship for the last 10 years constantly).

Then you will be pleasantly surprised if and whenever you get special treatment, and will have a wonderful holiday regardless.

You are absolutely correct.

In your four months you also ate enough to feed a small African tribe for a year and cruised thousands and thousands of miles. Food and fuel are the two largest variable costs for the cruise line. In consuming so much you generated enough profit to pay for the captain's taxi to the airport on his way home at the end of his segment. A suite guest paid for his flight.

In Economy Class

And in the tough economic climate, why should we automatically expect any "benefit" whether offered to the great and the good or to everyone should continue from one day to another?

Cruiselines are no different to airlines, other hotel chains etc - what they give as benefits and free of charge add ons is reducing and changing. I think it was nice whilst we had it, but if I have to pay a small % more for something, maybe that is it.

OK we maybe do not like the beancounters but they are contributing to ensuring the line is still there in the future. Maybe how that line looks in the future does not fit our personal preferences, but hey that's called change and maybe it is our preferences that are out of line for the future.

Now wait a minute. Do you think that you deserve the same perks over each and every one of your 12 to 18 cruises cruises per year (or however many you take during those four months) that the highest paying customer on the ship has purchased for one single cruise?

I might not cruise 120 days a year, but I've cruise a whole lot more than 120 days over the years. Should I receive the exact same benefits on every one of those as well?

If not then when do these kick in? When you have 120 days over 5 years, 120 days over 2 years, 120 days over one year, or 120 consecutive days and when along the way to they decide that you are a VIP rather than a commoner.

Likewise, I've made well over a million dollars over my career, so why doesn't my bank treat me like a millionaire just because I don't have a million dollars in the bank?

Sorry but when a couple spend $20,000 for 10 nights they can, and should, expect more perks than someone spending $20,000 for 100 nights.

Who say a suiteguest pays more than I do? When I compare Concierge Level to a suite it starts at a difference of something between $1200 and $1600 (comparing the lowest categories).

We always book a C1, both have the premium drinkpackage, book all our excursions through Celebrity, eat almost every night in a specialty restaurant, regularly buy -although we have the premium package- an expensive bottle of wine, I never take sunlotion and aftersunlotion but buy it onboard at the perfumery.

Two years ago we shared a table at breakfast with a lovely couple from Florida. They were staying at a penthouse suite (at first they booked a sky suite, but kept an eye on the prices and kept upgrading, because of the cancellationpolicy not so easy or interesting for us in Europe), only drank water and an ocassional Pepsi, he used to have his alcoholic drink during the free elite-hour and they stayed onboard during the entire cruise (so no excursions).

It's their good right and I have no comments on it, but I think at the end we paid quite a bit more than those suiteguests. Do I think we deserve special service? No, not at all since we think we have been threated special on every single cruise we made. Do I think those suiteguests deserve special service and not us? No, not if it's about money, than they have to look at the final amount of spend money.

Brings me back to the Captain's Club. I would love to see Celebrity add what HAL already does: Onboard Spending Bonus Earn one bonus cruise day credit for each $300 in eligible onboard purchases. This is calculated on the combined folio charges for all guests on the booking, regardless of who signs each charge and who pays the bill.

Noticing is different than complaining about it. If my husband brought me home flowers every week for a year, but then stopped, there is no way I'd be demanding my weekly flowers. I might tell him how much I enjoyed them and ask why he stopped, but I would be satisfied with the answer he gave, even if it was he was just tired of stopping by the florist every week. And if those flowers were so very important to me, I'd set up a weekly delivery myself.

Noticing is different than complaining about it. If my husband brought me home flowers every week for a year, but then stopped, there is no way I'd be demanding my weekly flowers..

However if you found out that the flowers were now being delivered to a more desirable person, I think that your reaction would be a bit different.

When a business changes its focus to attracting new patrons by changing their behaviour towards faithful long term customers, there will be consequences.

To paraphrase a famous line... "Heaven has no rage like love to hatred turned, nor hell a fury like a cruiser scorned." ;)

However if you found out that the flowers were now being delivered to a more desirable person, I think that your reaction would be a bit different.

It's not a valid analogy. Do you believe Celebrity had promised to be faithful to you?

When DH and I were children we often went to bed cold and very hungry. When we first got married we lived from day to day and most times there was more week than money, so again cold and hungry. Through the sheer hard work ethic of DH, working very long hours at a very physical job, and me working long hours as well as bringing up two children we have managed to save a little over the years and started cruising many years ago managing outside cabins for very short cruises but we were happy. I will never forget the look on DHs face when for the first time we managed to afford a concierge suite. He was so proud of us and said "Who would have thought people as poor as us could afford this." It brought tears to my eyes. We sail with different companies now snd book where the itinerary and price suits us, sometimes balcony, sometimes suite, but never ever once for the perks.I do not need to eat with the crew to know my DH is special and we have only ever been to one cocktail party, where the constant " What status are you? Oh I am diamond plus you know" made us laugh. The only people we need to "recognise" our achievements and booking preferences are us.

Doesn't seem to me that you were ever "poor people"; you have something worth more than riches, a fantastic attitude.

"Let me try this from a slightly different perspective. There are what I'd call "official" benefits. These include all the benefits listed for each Captain's Club level and stateroom benefits. These benefits have been fairly constant over the years. There is another type of benefits. For the lack of a better term I'll call these "past practice" benefits. These are things that have typically be done for specific categories of cruisers such as top cruisers. These benefits have included invitations to Captain's Tables, Special check in and boarding, bottles of wine, flowers and complimentary specialty dinners. Not benefits in the sense of being listed, but rather special treatment that has developed over the years. It is this area of benefits that has seen reduction or elimination. The newer cruiser is most likely not even aware that they exist. However, many long time cruisers see the removal or reduction of these past practice benefits as a real loss of recognition. Arguments can be made for both sides."

If these perks were things you got on all your past cruises, and they have suddenly been eliminated, then yes I can see why you would be upset.

But on the other hand...if Celebrity meant them to be surprise perks, special recognition, then by definition they were not to be "expected" like the listed Elite benefits, and I don't think treating them as an entitlement is right, either.

As I said there are good arguments on both sides of the issue and I guess much of one's position is shaped by where they are on the food chain. At one time people who reached 100 cruise points were given a free cruise, then it went to a discount on a future cruise; now nothing. One could reason that too many are reaching the 100 point mark and Celebrity can long longer afford a "free, or discounted" cruise. Who has built the "expectations" the passenger or Celebrity? Probably a bit of both. There is a real problem when I person receives a "special" benefit and the next one doesn't. We all know of Celebrity's "constant inconsistency". Perhaps at least some of these unlisted benefits that have routinely been given in the past should be part of a top tier in a new program. Really Celebrity's call. I just enjoy cruising and whatever they decide to do or not do is fine with me.

Archived