thinking of getting insurance for coming cruise

Crazykat945

I think you can purchase insurance up to 2 weeks before your cruise, but unless you buy it within 2 weeks of having booked your cruise you won't get coverage for pre-existing conditions.

I also use insuremytrip.com and usually go with Travel Guard or CSA.

I just bought insurance for our Sept 1 cruise, 10 days before sailing. Used insuremytrip also. It won't cover us for preexisting conditions, but at least we're covered for lost baggage, delayed flights, missing the ship, etc.

Thanks all. I checked out insuremytrip.com and looks like CSA is a winner.:)

I also checked the chase business card benefits (which is the card I used to pay for the trip), it also covers trip cancellation/trip interruption/lost luggage/travel accident insurance etc. Is this enough?

I just purchased a policy today for my cruise on 9/7/13 on insuremytrip.com. I got a medical policy for DH and I for $20 total for $100,000 in coverage. Medical was my main concern. I wanted something in case we got sick or injured during the trip and had to be evacuated or just needed treatment.

I think you can purchase insurance up to 2 weeks before your cruise, but unless you buy it within 2 weeks of having booked your cruise you won't get coverage for pre-existing conditions.

I also use insuremytrip.com and usually go with Travel Guard or CSA.

You can buy insurance right up until the morning you leave. You are correct about the 2 weeks from deposit to cover pre existing conditions.

Bill

Would you know how CSA covers in case of a hurricane? I could not really find the answer to that in their policy.

I found something from CSA weather related that might answer your question: (#3 and #4)

Reasons for Cancellation and Interruption:

The following reasons apply to you, a Family Member, or a Traveling Companion and must occur while coverage is in effect:

1. Trip Cancellation or delayed arrival at your destination due to Sickness, Injury or death of you, your Family Member or Traveling Companion that occurs before departure on your Trip. The Sickness or Injury must commence while coverage is in effect, require the
    examination by a Physician, in person, at the time of Trip Cancellation or delay and, in the written opinion of the treating Physician, be so disabling as to prevent you from taking your Trip or delay your arrival on your Trip;
  2. Trip Interruption due to Sickness, Injury or death of you, your Family Member or Traveling Companion. The Sickness or Injury must commence while you are on your Covered Trip, require the examination by a Physician, in person, at the time of Trip Interruption
    and, in the written opinion of the treating Physician, be so disabling as to prevent you from continuing your Trip.
  3. Common Carrier delays resulting from inclement weather, or mechanical breakdown of the aircraft, ship or boat or motor coach on which you are scheduled to travel, or organized labor strikes that affect public transportation;
  4. arrangements canceled by an airline, cruise line, motor coach company, or tour operator, resulting from inclement weather, mechanical breakdown of the aircraft, ship or boat or motor coach on which the Insured is scheduled to travel, or organized labor strikes that affect public transportation.

I also checked the chase business card benefits (which is the card I used to pay for the trip), it also covers trip cancellation/trip interruption/lost luggage/travel accident insurance etc. Is this enough?

Unless your regular medical policy covers you outside U.S., medical coverage is way more important than trip cancellation/interruption. That is fixed amount and presumably you can afford it or would not have booked the cruise. What is at risk is medical emergency and you cannot control the cost of medical care. Even if you are young and healthy, anyone can have a bad accident.

I saw something interesting the other day about trip insurance. It said to never purchase trip insurance through your cruise ship. Something I've always done. The reason being that the language in your policy will favor the cruise company. Second, make sure the language in your policy states that you can be brought to a medical facility of your choice. This poor couple were on RCC and the elderly husband fell and broke his hip. RCC brought him to a hospital in Turkey which was substandard and no one spoke English. They were just left there while the ship went on it's way because this facility was the closest to where they were. These are things I never thought about before.

Unless your regular medical policy covers you outside U.S., medical coverage is way more important than trip cancellation/interruption. That is fixed amount and presumably you can afford it or would not have booked the cruise. What is at risk is medical emergency and you cannot control the cost of medical care. Even if you are young and healthy, anyone can have a bad accident.

That's very good point, sail7seas! I'm traveling with my mom also. I don't want to worry about medical emergency. Thanks.:)

Guest maddycat

I buy our travel insurance through the Trip Insurance Store. Their site is very informative and easy to understand. If I do have a question I call one of their agents. They're very knowledgeable and helpful. Lately I've been buying Travel Safe Insurance. I purchase it with in 21 days of booking the cruise so that pre-existing medical conditions are covered.

I also have MedjetAssist insurance for medical evacuation. With Medjet, if you are hospitalized 150 miles or more from home, they will transfer you to the hospital of your choice. I purchase the Medjet as a AARP member and receive an 18% discount.

***Trip Insurance Store***

MedjetAssist

I purchased yearly travel insurance for my next trip(s) and it was about the same cost as insurance I have purchased in the past. Less than $100 for an entire year. I even bumped up some of the covered items to the next higher limit. I used squaremouth dot com and clicked on their yearly tab.

I buy our travel insurance through the Trip Insurance Store. Their site is very informative and easy to understand. If I do have a question I call one of their agents. They're very knowledgeable and helpful. Lately I've been buying Travel Safe Insurance. I purchase it with in 21 days of booking the cruise so that pre-existing medical conditions are covered.

I also have MedjetAssist insurance for medical evacuation. With Medjet, if you are hospitalized 150 miles or more from home, they will transfer you to the hospital of your choice. I purchase the Medjet as a AARP member and receive an 18% discount.

***Trip Insurance Store***

MedjetAssist

Agree with Maddycat. We always use Trip Insurance Store and have always been satisfied with the customer service. We, too, have been buying Travel Safe as the coverage fits our needs. Have not gotten Medjet Assist but we are beginning to think it would be a good investment.

I don't think anyone ever responded to your question on the coverage that comes with your credit card.

I've got that top, and scanned the provisions the other day for the first time. I think mine covers $10,000 for interruption/cancellation, but I seem to remember there were some exclusions, like pre-existing conditions.

You really need to compare the credit card coverage in a 'line up' against other policies on a site like insuremytrip in order to get an apples to apples comparison.

I don't think anyone ever responded to your question on the coverage that comes with your credit card.

I've got that top, and scanned the provisions the other day for the first time. I think mine covers $10,000 for interruption/cancellation, but I seem to remember there were some exclusions, like pre-existing conditions.

You really need to compare the credit card coverage in a 'line up' against other policies on a site like insuremytrip in order to get an apples to apples comparison.

I think you are right about the need to compare side by side.

We had purchased plane tickets using my Chase Sapphire card and later called to find out the covrage. Unlike most purchased policies, the Chase Sapphire cancellation coverage related to the Cardholder and did not include things that might effect a travelling companion, even if the travelling companion's trip was purchased on the credit card.

This would probably not be an issue if you were only travelling with your immediate family. In our case, we were travelling with friends and the grandmother of one of those friends was diagnosed and became terminal after we purchased the trip. -- Suzanne

To research travel insurance, and compare the offerings and pricing from MANY companies this is the BEST site ever, http://www.squaremouth.com .

It does pay to shop around. Consider the feature "All Event Cancellation" offered by only two companies that will reimburse up to 95% in cash (not cruise credit) for the duration of the trip (some stop that benefit two days PRIOR to sailing). Without this feature there are MANY exclusions to trip cancellation coverage.

Read the exclusions!

Taking cruise from Auckland to Sydney. Will travel on own around NZ for one week prior and stay in Sydney additional 4 days. Not sure what to insure.

I know some suggest just insuring cruise as airfare can be rebooked (rebooking fee will apply). Most of the hotels in pre-cruise trip we can cancel with 24 hrs notice. We pre-paid for one hotel (about 300 USD). So, question is:

Should we just insure cost of cruise or do we add in airfare (or just rebooking fees), hotel, etc?

Thanks

Taking cruise from Auckland to Sydney. Will travel on own around NZ for one week prior and stay in Sydney additional 4 days. Not sure what to insure.

I know some suggest just insuring cruise as airfare can be rebooked (rebooking fee will apply). Most of the hotels in pre-cruise trip we can cancel with 24 hrs notice. We pre-paid for one hotel (about 300 USD). So, question is:

Should we just insure cost of cruise or do we add in airfare (or just rebooking fees), hotel, etc?

Thanks

I have been told you should insure the NON-REFUNDABLE portion of your vacation. So, things like hotels that can be fully cancelled with no penalty, I don't insure that. On airfare, I usually insure only the rebooking fee.

Archived