Just back never again

Capri73

Just to clarify, I do fully understand that seeing whales, much less swimming with them, is never guaranteed, even on a “whale watching” excursion. I am *hoping* to swim with whales, not *expecting* it. And while I will be very disappointed if I do not get to swim with whales, that disappointment will certainly *not* ruin my trip. I am confident that the diving and snorkeling will be stellar.

On a related note, if you really want to see whales, I recommend the Cunard Queen Victoria’s annual LA to Hawaii round-trip cruises each February. I went a few years ago, and while in Maui we saw literally dozens of whales. Our snorkeling excursion actually “mutinied” and “forced” the guide to stay off-shore in the channel so we could watch the whales breaching and fluke slapping and fin slapping. One even breached so close to us that we became concerned about being hit and capsized. But you cannot get in the water with them ... I think it is even illegal to do so in Hawaiian waters (or so our guide said).

The Gulf of Baja (a stone’s throw from my location in Palm Springs) is also a good whale watching place, but the murkiness of the water makes swimming with them almost pointless.

Your guide in Hawaii was correct. The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration notes:

"For All Ocean Users -

The Basics: Staying Safe and Legal

All ocean users (power boaters, sailors, jet skiers, kayakers, paddlers, windsurfers, swimmers, divers, etc.) must:

~ Keep a Safe Distance – Do not chase, closely approach, surround, swim with, or attempt to touch humpback whales.

~ Follow federal regulations that prohibit approaching (by any means) within 100 yards (90 m) when on or in the water, and 1,000 feet (300 m) when operating an aircraft. These regulations apply to all ocean users throughout the Hawaiian Islands."

Also, apropos of expecting a "5+ star" "Luxury cruise ship", that is what the "About Us" page on the Paul Gauguin website mentions. If someone looked up the definition of "5+ star" cruising and went believing the PG would be all that, then we can understand their surprise. Our TA loves French Polynesia, and told us we ought to experience the PG - and he also told us what to expect and not expect plus we did our own research. He said the PG wouldn't be Seabourn or Silversea - and it wasn't - but it was a perfect fit for the area and the only way to see FP.

I really feel bad Capri73 that your trip of a lifetime wasn't what you hoped it would be! When you put out 15K you are expecting more than you would for a relatively inexpensive trip. It is true that everyone has different expectations and different people find different things important. On one of our Carnival cruises there were people all down the buffet line and about 9 people that extended past the end of the buffet. I was the 8the person that extended past the end. This lady came by and said quite disgusted

Do you believe this line? My response was "ya, isn't it great. Too me I felt the line only had 9 people in it-which was a positive, to her it was a negative. Also, many people complain about the long lines getting back on big cruise ships. To me -it gives me more time to socialize with the people in front and behind me or sit at the bar at the end of the dock until the line gets shorter. What is a big deal to one person is no big deal to another. So Capri73, if you get a chance to give us details of your trip so each of us can decide for ourselves if the things that were very disappointing to you would be disappointing to us. You don't have to defend your point of view--it is your point of view.

Awesome two cruises I just had. Amazingly good in all aspects except the whales did not cooperate in Rurutu so of course some people blamed the captain!! It was am amazing day anyway. One person told me the food was Inedible and I thought it was the best ever of any cruise I have been on including my previous PG cruises. Son people just are destined to not enjoy what most do. A different kind of one presenter!

Capri- don't let anyone make you feel bad about your cruise experience opionion. Many times people with negative experiences dont even take the time to share. They just make sure not to recommend and return. Cruise Critics happens to be a platform with more positives. Review compensations are very real in many industries. Period.

The issue most were having with Capri was her vague comments. When asked for details it still remained vague. At that point one thinks, 'what is the objective'?

I may also add that one of the very fundamental rules on this board is: "Please post your recommendations ONLY in response to request...do not start a new thread. Thanks!"

When Capri went over to another cruise line forum and complained about PG Cruises when no question was asked about such (probably because it was a different cruise line forum) she overstepped this fundamental rule. Again, one may ask themselves, 'what is the objective'?

Enough said

This was our third cruise on the PG - did the 7-day itinerary under Radisson in 2002, the 10-day under Regent in 2008, and now this one under PG cruises. There were definitely a few things that changed for the worse. But let me start with the fantastically good and then go from there. Swimming with the whales was one of the most fabulous and memorable experiences of my life! Almost too incredible for words. This excursion hadn't been offered before on our other sailings. The reason is that due to the Beach Soccer World Cup held in Papeete that week. Since no hotels were available for day rooms, we could stay on the ship or do excursions on departure day in Papeete. I had already done the whale watching tours with Dr. Poole and in other countries and they were good but there is NOTHING as incredible as going in the water with them! We were on one of three boats that were looking for whales. OUr guide said it is not guaranteed that we would be able to get in the water with them but normally they are successful. It took racing to three sites to find the right one. (The seas can be choppy so if you are prone to seasickness, take something for it before leaving.) We quietly got in the water, quietly swam a ways out, put our masks in the water and we were incredibly close to a mam humpback whale AND her baby! (Whales often sleep near the surface so it is often possible to watch them as they remain in one place. The baby frolicked all around the Mom and surfaced often. We were all awestruck. Later those who took photos/videos got our email addresses for they could share with us the pictures. In one, the entire frame is the Mam whale's mouth - that's how close we were! I will never forget this as long as I live. It's right up there with swimming with a baby Tiger that I did last year:)

Anyway. about the cruise, the service was great, our cabin was perfect, as usual. We don't do any of the entertainment since we do active excursions all day and are pooped.

One area where costs were cut is the food. Instead of an abundance of shrimp, filet mignon, asparagus, and other "pricey" ingredients there were lots of pumpkin (almost every day!), green beans, suckling pig, and root vegetables. I am not an adventurous eater - I prefer predictable but good quality American-style meals, rather than exotic ones (so many of you will probably not relate). In the past two PG cruises, you could order shrimp cocktail, crème brulee (or other off-menu items) from room service or in the dining room. The first time I ordered room service lunch I ordered pizza, shrimp cocktail and potato chips. Twenty minutes later someone comes to my door and tells me that the shrimp cocktail would be $25. I declined. When the pizza came, it was like a cardboard crust frozen pizza. Very different from before! I later learned that it was not possible to order off menu at dinner, and the menu no longer offered an "always available" steak option. Chicken breast was the only "only available option.

I used to LOVE Le Grill because of the ambience, friendly service, and that they were always offering me surf and turf, shrimp cocktail, or other delights whether it was on the menu or not. I didn't have to ask! On Polynesian night, we sat on the deck under the stars - heavenly! But I watched my husband eat all 5 courses there was nothing I cared to order except the entrée) since there are no choices that night. During that meal, one of the waiters remembered me from our "$25 shrimp cocktail discussion" and started up a conversation about what else had changed under the new management. In a Cat. C room, for instance, there is no longer a complimentary bar setup.

So food wasn't great for me, but my husband loved it - loves fish - and so your mileage may vary. The other thing that was totally screwed up were our shore excursions. Since you couldn't reserved these online, I asked when phone registration would start and called back on the first day. We had MANY excursions booked. When we arrived in our cabin and opened the envelope with excursion tickets, almost ALL of them were wrong! Since this is what we travel to FP for, I went to the excursion desk as soon as it opened which meant only 4 hours of sleep for me because of our late embarkation. The woman at the desk couldn't have been nicer and more apologetic, but it took a half-hour to straighten things out, and there was not space for my husband and I to both do the Raiatea excursion we had reserved months before, do I gave the ticket to my husband and stayed on the ship and read. No the way I wanted to start our vacation:(

Loved ALL of our excursions - especially the waverunners and 4 x 4s in both Moorea and Bora Bora. Of course the private motu is also a highlight but I was REALLY disappointed that there were no drinks in coconuts as in the past - just plastic cups! When I asked, because the sign at the bar says the drinks ARE in coconuts, he said :they weren't there yet." I stayed on the island all day and they never arrived:(

I truly believe this is the most beautiful place on EARTH - I guess we like it since this was our third cruise. I wouldn't do the PG again, though. Maybe another cruise line or something on land.

Thank you for saying what you did. We both found the food to be not to our liking.Shore excursions were always messed up.Staff were wonderful.We find this site to be monopolized by a few people.They are always positive but if you look at where they travel opinions not valid.They travel on ships that are not 5* They are Carnival people so PG looks great.Explore the world beyond PG and Carnival and you will see the different.I will be shocked if this gets on board.Tiki you are a board.Travel the world and your word might become beneficial.

In response to Capri, and as one of the cheerleaders of this cruise line I just wanted to say that I have never been on carnival !!! I have however travelled extensively largely staying in luxury resorts run by the 4 seasons and orient express hotels so have a good feel for quality and service.

I am however a gold member on regent and have tried a number of other lines. I currently have two cruises booked on crystal one on Regent and one on RCCL for the next few months.

Now about the positive comments....if you read my review of my feb cruise you will see my comments on the food particularly the beef. Even Under Radisson/Regent the food has been a bit of a moving target when I consider my 5 pg cruises under that flag. Under pg cruises some of the food choices have gone away and gone down in my opinion and i have never hesitated to state that. however, I had so so food on Regent in Alaska and awful food on Oceania in the Far East. On rccl we tend to dine in the specialty restaurants mainly so have better food than in the rest of the ship.

I still maintain that the service is uniformly wonderful and the various activities and lectures add ambiance to the exotic south sea location.

I have been on 8 Carnival cruises and 7 were great. Food much improved and much better than Royal. I was on the PG 9/14 cruise also and LOVED the food - yes I love fish. Of course there were a few misses and if I want a shrimp cocktail I will go to Morton's - nowhere is there a better one. I live in NJ - would never get pizza on any cruise ship! Yeah I guess I have become one those PG cheerleaders but I am also a realist and this realist has realized that the PG has gotten better each time I have been on since 2010. No I was never on when it was Regent. No matter - #5 for me on the PG next year. I offer no apologies for loving this ship. If they want to screw up the sweet potato soup one night (it was awful yet the previous cruise the week before it was awesome) fine - the service and people more than make up for any shortcomings. I know there are a lot of places in the world to see but I think if you really love a place there is nothing wrong with returning when you can in lieu of places you have not seen. I am tired and still have not recovered no forgive my rambling.

Food is an important part of travel for many of us, but is very subjective and variable. We were on the PG about 6 weeks ago (same trip as Capri73) and I thought the variety and quality of the food was good - as good or better than on previous PG trips or on Regent, which we have sailed numerous times. I believe the PG is under a lot of provisioning constraints. Ivan told us that they are now subject to numerous supply regulations, which didn't exist in the past, and this is why they weren't serving lobster at all. As I understand it, most of the food (and all in some categories) has to be locally produced in French Polynesia, and there isn't the necessary quality or quantity of lobster available, so they don't use it any more. That could also be the reason for things like shrimp and asparagus that janesm noticed were not offered.

Ah ............... that's it, make it personal. Contrary to your accusation I've traveled much of the world. I was a professional sound engineer for decades and I would be on contract with some well known artist. Made 35 contract trips around the world and we always stayed at 4+ star places.

Also don't forget I've made 18 trips to FP with 4 of them by cruise ship, the others were on land. ;)

Most of what I share is about things to see & do on the islands, I let others who have been on the PG answer 90% of the questions asked about the ship.

My/our complaint was you were very vague and then went a' hoppin' over to a competing cruise line telling people who hadn't ask about your experience you ........... experience. The board rules specifically say not to do what you did.

As far as "beneficial" I will simply say I receive at least a dozen thank you's every week for what I share on this forum.

Enough said

Not a big deal for many but I used to love dining on our balcony. On this cruise there was new furniture. No table but a low, square footstool faux wicker thing. Room service delivered food to the table in the cabin. And for the first time of our three cruises, we were served out of a plastic tray, not a linen tablecloth half of the time. There was no rhyme or reason.

As far as the downgrading of food goes, I understand there may be sourcing issues but not to offer even a plain salad while I watched my husband eat 5 courses was a bit sad:(

Bu the way. They have lobster again after not having for awhile due to FP politics. It was awesome. Still not a reason to take a cruise. My lobster on Carnival this summer was almost as good. Just did not have the awesome vanilla sauce!

I never had a problem getting something. Last year I asked my server if he could make sure I have Crème Brulee for desert every night. I not only got it after dinner the first night they had it delivered to our room at 9:00 pm for a night snack ............. All you got to do is ask, they go to great extent to make sure your happy.

That's funny about the creme brulee. On the original PG (circa 2000 and 2003, for example), this dish was only available on one particular menu, for one night. In those days I never would have thought to special order it. Just as well. What I remember most in desserts, aside from this, was a chocolate concoction named "The Bounty". Shaped like a ship. In 2008 it was no more. Anybody else remember it?

But when I made the room service order for my fav lunch (I made a calendar of my PG trip 5 years ago and included a photo of my favorite room service lunch - Balcony lunch, A great pizza, shrimp cocktail, potato chips, and a Diet Coke - I still look at the photo fondly) I ordered potato chips and it is not a specific order on the room service menu - it is the side order listed for just about EVERY room service order. When the guy came to my room and told me shrimp was a no go, he was not sure I would be able to get potato chips but he would check on it (I did get them). I was afraid to ask for anything off menu after that.

Archived