Jamaica shopping..

Crisha85243

Hi everyone

I realize there is a ports of call board but I thought I might get responses here more quickly...

In October we are doing Dunns RIver falls and a dolphin swim in Jamaica...

I have heard the merchants are very aggressive, and you cant tell them your name or they will engrave your name in things and expect you to buy it ...

I have also heard to keep your hands closed so none of the merchants try and slip something into them...

The thing is...

AFTER the falls, I would LIKE to be able to shop a little and buy a trinket or two with my two teenage girls..

Am I going to be able to do this safely? Should I just forget about Jamaican souveniers?

Thanks !

Hi everyone

I realize there is a ports of call board but I thought I might get responses here more quickly...

In October we are doing Dunns RIver falls and a dolphin swim in Jamaica...

I have heard the merchants are very aggressive, and you cant tell them your name or they will engrave your name in things and expect you to buy it ...

I have also heard to keep your hands closed so none of the merchants try and slip something into them...

The thing is...

AFTER the falls, I would LIKE to be able to shop a little and buy a trinket or two with my two teenage girls..

Am I going to be able to do this safely? Should I just forget about Jamaican souveniers?

Thanks !

Been to Dunn's River Falls........ No way would I buy anything there. Our guides told us to stay "Clear" of the vendors there at the Falls. One of the passengers didn't listen & got scam'd .... real bad. If it were me ..... my advise is to do your shopping where your Tour guides say too.

Been to Dunn's River Falls........ No way would I buy anything there. Our guides told us to stay "Clear" of the vendors there at the Falls. One of the passengers didn't listen & got scam'd .... real bad. If it were me ..... my advise it to do your shopping where your Tour guides say too.

Thank you - but ( it's a Carnival excursion ) Will there be an area they tell us it is ok to browse in?

Hi, i was in Jamaica last month and we did the bobsled excursion and we shopped afterwards. A good safe place to shop would be the Taj Mahal Shopping plaza at the port in Ocho Rios. It is about a 5-10 min walk from the ship straight out of the gates. The vendors that try to shove stuff in your hands are a little closer to the ship with their stuff lined up on tables and on the ground. We did not shop from the vendors but if you want to you will be fine as long as you don't say your name like you said and etc.... Also i've heard that there have been some vendors by dunns river falls so u can shop there too! :)

Thank you - but ( it's a Carnival excursion ) Will there be an area they tell us it is ok to browse in?

we were on a Carnival Excurion ..... after the Falls ...... I would go back to the tour Bus. Do your shopping back at Mo Bay. Just follow your Tour Guides .... you should be fine. But ...... stay away from the Local Vendors there at the Falls. That my Opinion ..... based on my experience there.

run don't walk past the vendors at the end of the falls; they are horrible! Carnival makes a stop for shopping on the way back to MoBay and it is a real nice place.

Also, inside the port DO NOT take pictures of anyone! They expect you to pay them if they are in the pictures.

It doesn't really matter if you are on a Carnival excursion or not. If you stop and look at anything anywhere, you will be expected to buy it. Do not make eye contact with the people calling out to you, do not let anyone touch you in any way, do not let anyone put anything in your hand, on your arms or around your neck, do not let anyone touch your hair. This may sound paranoid, but be very careful or you will pay.

I know of one lady in my party who was walking not far from the ship and a woman ran up behind her, grabbed her hair and began to braid it. When she was told "No Thank you" the Jamaican woman got up in the passenger's face and told her that she had already started and if she wouldn't pay up, the police would be called. She paid 10 dollars.

I think this is scary.

You need to understand, it's a different culture, and their way of communication is different than a tourists' way. We say "no thank you". In the Jamician culture, "no thank you" literally means -- no - yes. "Thank you to a Jamician means "yes". So they understand "No - Yes", and keep after you. Say, "No" and nothing else.

Head down and not make eye contact? Are you for real? You have missed some of the fun of exploring new ports and meeting new people. Some of our best memories are in Ocho Rios talking with the locals.

About the vendors at Dunns River Falls. At the exit of the Falls, at the top of the stairs, the vendors have a large sign that says "EXIT" with a arrow pointing to the right, which leads to smack in the middle of all the shops. The REAL EXIT at the top of the stairs is to the LEFT. Walk around to the left and you will pass the entrance where you came in and will AVOID ALL the vendors.

At Ocho Rios, as you exit the ship the pier, and through the building to the taxis, there are a few vendors who put out their displays in the parking lot. This maybe a more pleasant experience than with the vendors at the Falls.

One of the best excursions would be on a tour. I'd recommend Phil Lafayette Tour's. You will come away with an entirely different outlook on Ocho Rios and Jamaica. Find out at Jamaicaphil dot com

My personal experience in Ocho Rios was not positive. This is the only place I have ever visited where I did not feel safe. I experienced a panic attack due to the extremely aggressive vendors/locals. And I will note that I do not suffer from panic attacks. The best way to describe my experience would be to compare it to The Temple scene in Jesus Christ Superstar where everyone is competing for attention to be touched, heard, seen, etc. Just horrible.

It was so bad we hired a taxi to drive us two blocks so we could get away. People were following us down the street, shouting at us, trying to get us to stop and were shoving things into the taxi window and demanding money.

And for the explanation of 'no, thank you' literally means yes/no.......I don't buy that at all. The locals deal with tourists every day. They sure know enough about the American dollar and how to try to get it out of your pocket. I believe they understand the words 'No, thank you.'

Please be cautious.

I love the cultures of all the islands including Jamaica - if you all are that scared please stay on the ship so it will be less crowded on shore. Treat the world the way you want to be treated and they will treat you the same. No is no, but sometimes it is interesting to stop and listen and learn. IMHO

[quote name=IslandSliderGirl;39762470

And for the explanation of 'no' date=' thank you' literally means yes/no.......I don't buy that at all. The locals deal with tourists every day. They sure know enough about the American dollar and how to try to get it out of your pocket. I believe they understand the words 'No, thank you.'

Please be cautious.[/quote]

So, do you actually think I made all that up? If you had read a few of the other threads about Jamaica, you would have read the explantion that was published BY A JAMAICAN. Believe what you want. :rolleyes:

Archived