Rome In Limo - Continuation of Previous Thread, Community Guidelines Apply

palermo22

I have used Rome in Italy on two separate cruises. This last cruise October 18 I used them for Florence, Rome and Sorento. My three guides Simona,Giovanni,and Alex were the best. I highly recommend this group. 5 stars!!!

Lynne

What fun we had on Oct 3,4,& 5th. Used RIL on the advice of a friend - great friend. Used a car for 6 each day. Fabio (Rome), Alex (Naples) and Luca (Messina) were great and much more than "just" drivers. They helped customize our days from the "planned" tours on the web site to help us see the most - and still spend time so we could enjoy the differences between each region and our "homes". In Rome - that meant an unscheduled stop for photos overlooking the Coliseum and Forum. From Naples - a visit to the villa at Stabaie - all to ourselves. And - on our way to Taormina - in Savocca - a morning chat with one of the actresses from "The Godfather".

Great fun, great service and a great time had by all. We'd use RIL again - in a heartbeat.

There is not much more that I can add to the rave reviews about Romeinlimo.

Your first interaction will be with Jany. Let me tell you she never sleeps ! Jany will work hard to meet your needs.

Last month was our 3rd time booking excursions with RIL.

In Naples we had Diego. We went to Ravello and Positano as well as a few other stops along the way.

Diego was absolutely delightful , knowledgeable and thoughtful.

In Messina , Luca was our driver. What a magnificent day. We opted for The Godfather Tour. Since RIL is ready and waiting when the ship docks, we were off to see some medieval type towns and had them all to ourselves. Actually met a few older gentlemen anxious to tell us their stories. Luca kindly interpreted.

Our day was filled with laughter thanks to Luca's sense of humor.

Livorno, we had Laura as our driver and she was equally delightful. We traveled to SAN Gimiagno and Lucca , 2 enchanting towns.

I can't imagine traveling through Italy without the benefit of Romeinlimo's drivers or guides.

Thank you very much for your feedback, I would LOVE to hear from those who lately used this company and learn more about your day, drivers and guides.

So, please share your experience!

Do you provide the credit card info as a security in case you don't show up, but then you can pay cash when you finish your tour, right?

We used RomeInLimo for transfer from the Roma Termini station to Civi for our cruise. We had a late evening train and Stephan was timely and friendly and got us to our hotel in Civi safely and promptly.

We were very please with our dealings with Jany-in spite of several changes on our part, everything was taken care of quickly with excellent communication.

As far as credit cards, they take a credit card to guarantee against a no show but ask for cash at time of service. If you want to pay by credit card, that must be done 10 days before the service date.

Susan

We returned 10 days ago from a Transatlantic Cruise departing from Rome. We flew to Rome 4 days early and used Rome in Limo for our touring. We had Wlad and Sal as our drivers from the airport to Rome. Our touring started the next day with Franco & Peter who were always on time, clean vehicles, and knew there way all around the city. They took us to the Colliseum, Catacombes, Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps, the Pantheon and a couple of wonderful restaurants. We especially liked Osteria dei Pontefici. Plenty of food, wine and Lemoncello!

Marina was our tour guide at the Vatican. She was very friendly, knowledgeable and got us thru right away.

Nick & Sal picked us up at our hotel and brought us to the pier where we began our 15night Transatlantic cruise on the Celebrity Silhouette!

Raffalle and Sal were our drivers in the Tuscany region. They were very knowledgeable and we enjoyed our time with them. They took us to Florence & Pisa.

If you are planning a trip to Rome, I would highly recommend Rome in Limo!

Special thanks to Jany for your patience and quick response to my emails.

This company goes abovce and beyond. They notified me that the port had changed from Spezia to another port and made arrangements for the guides to pick us up at the new port.

I would highly recommend Rome in Limo when traveling to Rome!:)

I would give them 5 Stars!

We used Rome In Limo while in Rome in November 2016 and we loved our driver. He was very nice and informative. He got us where we needed to go and he helped us make some decisions on the way. He found us a place to eat and he got us back to the boat on time!! It was a great day!! I would definitely use them again.

We just returned from our Mediterranean cruise, and our best ports were the ones we did a Rome in Limo tour at. We chose Florence/Pisa and Rome. In Florence we had Vinnie. He gave us so much insight about how Italians live, what the local culture is like, etc. We were able to customize out tour by asking him to take back roads instead of the highway and hitting a winery along the way. Things like this are what makes this tour so much better than one through the ship. In Rome, we had Big Luca, who was hysterical! We thought we had our own family member showing us around. Both guides definitely made us feel comfortable and welcome. Plus, with small tour sizes, you can ask any question you want, spend extra time at a place you decided you need to see more of, less another or skip it all together. So easy to personalize the tour without having to do a ton of research, thinking and worrying. I wish we had booked more tours for our vacation. They were extremely reasonable, and made the city tour that much better because you didn't have to do any work yourself. Just hop in the new Mercedes mini van and enjoy!! You were able to see so much more because the guides were so knowledgeable and familiar with everything. Plus they know the local tips for things like where to get tickets without waiting, where to eat to have the local experience, etc. I can't wait to go back and use this company again. I highly recommend them!!!!

I have read great reviews of Rome in Limo so I booked with them to take us from the ship and then to Rome with sightseeing all day in Rome with drop off at hotels. We are two people but the price is not per person but per tour which is high if you don't have others to split the bill. My tour is listed on their tour sharing site plus I have posted on my roll call. I have two other people but can't seem to get the last two people needed to bring the price down.

Any one else have a problem like this? Don't like the fact that things in Italy are not done on a per person basis. Makes it hard if you are only two.

Edited by dickinson

I have read great reviews of Rome in Limo so I booked with them to take us from the ship and then to Rome with sightseeing all day in Rome with drop off at hotels. We are two people but the price is not per person but per tour which is high if you don't have others to split the bill. My tour is listed on their tour sharing site plus I have posted on my roll call. I have two other people but can't seem to get the last two people needed to bring the price down.

Any one else have a problem like this? Don't like the fact that things in Italy are not done on a per person basis. Makes it hard if you are only two.

The drivers and guides are doing a job, and they have set an hourly charge (plus the fixed cost of the vehicle). This is generally the way it's done, at least in the Western Med countries....

Just like someone working at McDonalds gets the same wage whether they serve two customers or twenty.

By the way, it is extremely easy to do Rome on your own. Why not just use transport to get to your hotel, then plan a day of sightseeing on your own. Less expensive and you don't have to find others to share.

We so much enjoyed our day with Giovani of Rome in Limo. We were in port Civitavecchia in November 2016. Giovani met us at the ship, no searching required. He is a native of Rome and very much in love with his city. We felt this made for the perfect companion for the day. On the drive to the city he gave us wonderful commentary and information. Driving and parking being very tricky in Rome, most of our stops were made by him giving us detailed information and instructions and then staying with the van (or maybe moving it to stay out of trouble) We visited the Coliseum, Palatine Hills, Trevi Fountain, Pantheon and more before lunch. For lunch he recommended a small place with a wonderful full meal including wine or other menu choices. In the afternoon we visited the Vatican with a guide arranged by Rome in Limo who was also excellent. After an amazing tour including the Sistine Chapel, St Peters Basilica and square and so much more our exhausted group walked a few blocks to meet our old friend Giovani who drove us back to the port with free wifi hotspot all the way. Other points to mention: the Mercedes minibus was new and very comfortable. We walked and visited inside and around all areas. This was not a drive by tour. All arrangements were made in advance by email and tickets were pre-purchased online for Vatican and Coliseum. It was all easy to accomplish and Rome in Limo was very responsive and gave excellent directions. We would definitely use Rome in Limo again and would ask for Giovani!

I assume this is for the Princess cruise in your cruise listings coming up in April of 2017. If so you are still over 4 months out from that cruise, I would think you will have no problem filling the tour as you get close to sail date. Have you joined the roll call thread for your cruise? You might easily find someone to join you that way too. Rome In Limo has always done a great job for us especially on our 1st visit to Rome. We had such limited time and hiring a company like RIL gave us the opportunity to see so much more than if we had tried to do it all on our own. We are more confident now of the city but still have gone back to Rome In Limo for some special tours and transfers. They have always taken such good care of us. Good luck, I bet you fill the tour with no problem!!:)

I assume this is for the Princess cruise in your cruise listings coming up in April of 2017. If so you are still over 4 months out from that cruise, I would think you will have no problem filling the tour as you get close to sail date. Have you joined the roll call thread for your cruise? You might easily find someone to join you that way too. Rome In Limo has always done a great job for us especially on our 1st visit to Rome. We had such limited time and hiring a company like RIL gave us the opportunity to see so much more than if we had tried to do it all on our own. We are more confident now of the city but still have gone back to Rome In Limo for some special tours and transfers. They have always taken such good care of us. Good luck, I bet you fill the tour with no problem!!:)

Yes, it is for our upcoming cruise which is 28 days. I booked this last July and soon after I got 4 others from my roll call to join. Ultimately one couple cancelled the cruise. That was August or September. I haven't been able to get anyone else to join. I sent an email to the other couple yesterday but have yet to hear back (need to make sure they too have not cancelled). We are listed on their tour sharing site. I actually did get an email just before Thanksgiving from someone looking for more info. I sent them the info but have not heard back. They are not on our roll (I don't think). I'm getting a bit anxious on filling up these last two spots. We have never been before and don't feel comfortable touring on our own in a foreign country where language can be an issue.

Also, I have looked at some of the tours on their tour sharing site and some seem like they are coming up soon yet they still need slots to fill. Not sure how popular their tour sharing site really is.

Yes, it is for our upcoming cruise which is 28 days. I booked this last July and soon after I got 4 others from my roll call to join. Ultimately one couple cancelled the cruise. That was August or September. I haven't been able to get anyone else to join. I sent an email to the other couple yesterday but have yet to hear back (need to make sure they too have not cancelled). We are listed on their tour sharing site. I actually did get an email just before Thanksgiving from someone looking for more info. I sent them the info but have not heard back. They are not on our roll (I don't think). I'm getting a bit anxious on filling up these last two spots. We have never been before and don't feel comfortable touring on our own in a foreign country where language can be an issue.

Also, I have looked at some of the tours on their tour sharing site and some seem like they are coming up soon yet they still need slots to fill. Not sure how popular their tour sharing site really is.

From everything I've read over the years it seems to work pretty well. I do think it's early still. On all of our cruises which involved the Med (5 of them now) the roll calls picked up A LOT the last few months of the cruise. If I were you I would post about the openings on your roll call every week or so, or when you see new people joining. I would be very shocked if you didn't fill the tour. You may also find that someone else is organizing a private tour with Rome In Limo and is looking for participants at around the same amount of money that you could join and then drop off the tour share one. Good luck, I think you'll be fine. Congratulations on your first trip to Rome, it is such a wonderful city!!!!:)

From everything I've read over the years it seems to work pretty well. I do think it's early still. On all of our cruises which involved the Med (5 of them now) the roll calls picked up A LOT the last few months of the cruise. If I were you I would post about the openings on your roll call every week or so, or when you see new people joining. I would be very shocked if you didn't fill the tour. You may also find that someone else is organizing a private tour with Rome In Limo and is looking for participants at around the same amount of money that you could join and then drop off the tour share one. Good luck, I think you'll be fine. Congratulations on your first trip to Rome, it is such a wonderful city!!!!:)

Thanks! We are looking forward to it!

Anyone used them for an Amalfi Coast tour recently? The title of the tour lists Positano, Amalfi and Ravello but the description only mentions stopping in Ravello and Positano. Can you give a rundown of how your day went and what you saw. Where did you have lunch? Any recommendations for someone planning to take this?

This make sense, that thread was really long.

I would LOVE to hear from those who have used this company lately.

Tell me more about your day in Rome out of Civitavechia, Amalfi coast out of Salerno and Florence out of Livorno, I am planing a cruise to Italy next year and need your help.

Do you recommend a private guide for the Vatican and Herculaneum?

This is not my first cruise but have never used a private tour company in the past, just getting little old for those trains :)

Thank you in advance for all your help and recommendations.

I heartily recommend Rome In Limo. In early November I booked RIL for a day trip from the cruise port to Florence and Pisa. The company provided advice on booking tickets to avoid standing in line and on how to schedule the time in each location. Simona was our driver and she was outstanding. She met us promptly and changed the times to take advantage of the traffic, so we visited Pisa early Sunday morning when there were almost no other tourists there. Then she drove us to Florence and picked up our tickets and guided us to the door of the Accademia Museum. After that she took us to a splendid small restaurant and ordered us a sampler meal with wine, which was wonderful. Because of her knowledge and expertise, she was able to drive us through the Tuscan hillsides on the way back to the ship.

The next day Giovanni drove the van from the port to Rome. We had prepaid tickets to the Coliseum and he dropped us close to the entrance and then we toured there. Although we only were booked to go to the Coliseum and Vatican, he drove us from the Coliseum to the Palatine Hill, then the Pantheon and then to the Trevi Fountain. Following that good bit of sightseeing, he dropped us at a small local café for lunch, ordering dishes that we wanted to try, including a sampler meal including appetizer, entrée, dessert and wines. Following lunch he drove to the Vatican where we met our guide and toured the Basilica and the Sistine Chapel and walked through St. Peter's Square. I found RIL provided exceptional service for a reasonable price and would not hesitate to recommend them. Be advised, though, that my Fitbit registered 4 1/2 miles for this day trip. Hope this helps you.

One thing you should know is that the driver will likely take you to a place for lunch where they have an arrangement with the owner. Now this can be good and bad. We took RomeInLimo at three different ports one year. The first port, Naples, the driver took us to a small place off the main roads and the lunch was the best I've ever had. The second, in Rome, the driver took us to a place that two other drivers also used. They sat us all down at the same table and we no longer felt comfortable. And the service and food was terrible. On the third trip outside of Pisa we felt we needed to control our lunch, and instead of the driver taking us to a place we found our own by asking locals for a place they would go to for lunch. That turned out to be another fantastic lunch. I suspect all limo companies do this with lunch.

Note that I'm only commenting on that one driver and the lunch experience. The service for all three days was fantastic and I'm already book with RomeInLimo for another trip.

Do all you posters travel with others? Or do you get groups from your roll call? I have an end of cruise excursion from Civitevecchia to Rome with sightseeing in Rome (and drop off at hotels) planned for next May. I only have one other couple from my roll call join. I have emailed that couple 2x and have not heard back (want to make sure they are still going). I can't seem to get a 3rd couple. I don't want to be responsible for the whole price as if we were 6 people. What do others do?

Many people have been commenting on being able to find others to join their tour to fill it. I booked a six person tour for Rome and for Florence, then posted on the roll call for joiners. I did get it filled about 2 mos out from the trip. 3 days before, one of the couples was not able to take the trip, so I posted again on the roll call for 2 open spots last minute. I got them filled quickly and could have filled additional spaces. I would say don't panic, many people are just not planning to that extent just yet, but when it gets close will jump at an inexpensive option that fills the day and is much less hassle. Not that I would recommend waiting until a few days out, but maybe a few weeks out would be a good time to repost if you still have open spots.

Some have also asked about the tour guide for the Vatican. I did get one and would recommend it if you are looking to learn anything about what you see there. I am not Catholic and had a small collection of knowledge about the Vatican. The tour guide was very helpful as it is a lot to cover in a very little amount of time! There is so much to see in Rome and by having the guide it makes you quick stop much more informational.

I also want to comment on the lunches. Yes, I am sure the drivers have deals with local restaurants, but that can be said for any tourist town. Our drivers always gave us the option, and we could choose whatever we wanted. We ended up going with their suggestions and one was good, but not amazing while the other was the most amazing experience. Opinions on restaurants vary from person to person, as does what one finds 'good food' to be. Our two restaurants could not have been more different, but if you thought about our drivers, they fit their personalities. One was more upscale while the other was loud and family style. Ironically the loud one was our favorite as it seemed more authentic, though at home we would probably choose the more upscale style.

I highly recommend Rome in Limo, and wish we did more trips with them during our vacation. Our best memories are of those trips, and our favorite cities are the ones we took tours in. Yes, you can do it on your own and spend less, and in some cities I would say that is perfect. But if there is a lot to see and only a day to see it all, Rome in Limo would be my first choice!!!

Edited by Dntcruisintime

I'm glad to read these recommendations. We are traveling as a party of two and I wonder how hard it is to get together a group of 6-8 to make the tours more cost effective. I've noticed they have a share page on their website but haven't see our ship or dates. Thanks.

I'm glad to read these recommendations. We are traveling as a party of two and I wonder how hard it is to get together a group of 6-8 to make the tours more cost effective. I've noticed they have a share page on their website but haven't see our ship or dates. Thanks.

I don't know how others have fared but I don't feel I'm doing so good. I originally had 6 people but two cancelled their cruise. I haven't been able to get two others. Just to make sure the other couple is still going I emailed them over 2 weeks ago and have not heard back from them. Their email I think is a dedicated one for their wedding. They are supposed to be going on their honeymoon for my cruise. I don't know what to do but hope I hear back from them soon. If not I will contact Rome in Limo for advise. Either way I don't like the fact that we have to find the people to fill up the van as opposed to them filling it up with people contacting them.

I believe you need to contact RIL to set up the tour share for your cruise on their website. Once that's done you will need to post the availability on your cruise roll call so people are aware of it. There is also the chance that others will randomly join you. When I have done tours with RIL in the past I haven't used the tour share page, though I do know others who have. I just set up the itinerary I want then book the tour and go to my roll call and find others who want to join. Have never had a problem filling the tour, usually have to turn people away. Yes, this means that you are in "charge" of the tour and organizing your group but we've never had a problem. RIL does a wonderful job and we would ALWAYS hire them when in Italy.

I don't know how others have fared but I don't feel I'm doing so good. I originally had 6 people but two cancelled their cruise. I haven't been able to get two others. Just to make sure the other couple is still going I emailed them over 2 weeks ago and have not heard back from them. Their email I think is a dedicated one for their wedding. They are supposed to be going on their honeymoon for my cruise. I don't know what to do but hope I hear back from them soon. If not I will contact Rome in Limo for advise. Either way I don't like the fact that we have to find the people to fill up the van as opposed to them filling it up with people contacting them.

Sorry you're having such a problem but it really isn't up to RIL to find people to join you, am sure if they have interest from someone who wants to join a tour like yours that they will indeed refer them to the tour share program. Hopefully it will work out for you soon. Not a lot people do much planning over the holidays so hopefully you will get more interest in the coming weeks.:)

Sorry you're having such a problem but it really isn't up to RIL to find people to join you, am sure if they have interest from someone who wants to join a tour like yours that they will indeed refer them to the tour share program. Hopefully it will work out for you soon. Not a lot people do much planning over the holidays so hopefully you will get more interest in the coming weeks.:)

actually I have been needing two more people for at least 4 months now :( I did get an email from someone looking for info (saw it on the tour sharing site). I sent the info and then have not heard from them.

You say it isn't up to RIL to find people. My only other experiences which is a British Isle cruise and TA, Alaska, and Hawaii and the South Pacific. All those places you contacted the independent company and if they still had room you signed up with them. Prices were per person not per tour divided between how many others you got to go. Maybe lots of other European countries are this way too. I hope not.

actually I have been needing two more people for at least 4 months now :( I did get an email from someone looking for info (saw it on the tour sharing site). I sent the info and then have not heard from them.

You say it isn't up to RIL to find people. My only other experiences which is a British Isle cruise and TA, Alaska, and Hawaii and the South Pacific. All those places you contacted the independent company and if they still had room you signed up with them. Prices were per person not per tour divided between how many others you got to go. Maybe lots of other European countries are this way too. I hope not.

My experience with tour companies in Italy, Israel, Turkey, Spain, Morocco, England, Portugal & France are exactly the same as Rome In Limo does it. As I said I found it easier to just book the tour myself and find people to join us rather than using the tour share way. Never, ever had trouble filling tours and most times turned people away. Hopefully by now the people who showed interest yesterday have gotten back to you and booked also so you can relax and just enjoy planning your trip to Rome....just no better city in the world!!:)