Will I be arrested?

Esilef

Recently on a trip to Hawaii I was badly injured and needed to go to hospital x 3 times.

The American hospital system cost over $10000 USD.

I had travel insurrance and every month I am still getting demand letters.

I'm concerned with boarding an American cruise ship in Australian water with this amount still owing.

Could I get arrested or refused access to the ship?

Seriously I paid my travel insurance why can't they pay my hospital bills???

Sounds like a complicated situation. Perhaps someone here can help, but you might want to seek out resolution through legal representation if you haven't done that yet, especially if you are battling with the travel insurance company.

Sorry for your injury and I hope you are doing better.

Did you file the bills with the insurance company. Read your contract,. My brother had to pay his bill and then they reimbursed him.

No you want get arrested, but they sure as heck are dinging your credit score.

Remember none of these ships are registered in the US so are not American ships.

Recently on a trip to Hawaii I was badly injured and needed to go to hospital x 3 times.

I'm concerned with boarding an American cruise ship in Australian water with this amount still owing.

We do not have debtor's prisons in America anymore. You are safe.

As soon as the Accident happened my dad was on the phone to the issurrance company. Details were logged and medical treatment approved. It's now been 5 months and I have constantly had to scan in the invoices and send them to the insurrance company.

I have followed every step they have told me to but still they are dragging out payment.

I hate owing money and owing $10k to the US hospital system is a lot.

I really want this finalised by the time we cruise.

I don't understand the US hospital system.

Legal advice maybe needed.

It sounds as if you haven't filed with your health insurance. Have you filed with them? Did you get a EOB (explanation of benefits?

Thats the first steps in getting your travel insurance to pay your bills.

I think there may be more to the story.

The issue is that my private health insurrance is Australian but the expense occurred in the USA. Only travel insurrance covers you for overseas medical.

I think part of the issue is the differing procedures and policies between the 2 countries.

What makes me cry is that if the accident happened in Australia it would have cost $0 due to the Medicare cover & private ambulance cover.

At least we can still go on our cruise....

Drat the insurance company

What makes me cry is that we don't have Aussie-type medical coverage in the u.s.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forums mobile app

I just wonder how many Americans are forced to go without medical treatment due to the cost.

The cost could cause deaths.

Did you have travel insurance? Or was it included in your cruise fare? If you didn't....you might ask your regular medical how much is covered out of the country.

Only some private medical insurance policies or travel insurance will cover US patients out of the country.

As soon as the Accident happened my dad was on the phone to the issurrance company. Details were logged and medical treatment approved. It's now been 5 months and I have constantly had to scan in the invoices and send them to the insurrance company.

I have followed every step they have told me to but still they are dragging out payment.

I hate owing money and owing $10k to the US hospital system is a lot.

I really want this finalised by the time we cruise.

I don't understand the US hospital system.

Legal advice maybe needed.

Story of my life....if I may offer this ...ask for an itemized statement might widdle that bill down a few thousand by questioning what they actually billed for...but really is the travel ins company saying what the hang up in processing it?

Did you have travel insurance? Or was it included in your cruise fare? If you didn't....you might ask your regular medical how much is covered out of the country.

Only some private medical insurance policies or travel insurance will cover US patients out of the country.

In a nutshell, in Australia, travel insurance does not form part of your cruise fare, you have to seek out travel insurance. Most cruisers tend to buy online travel insurance for each cruise they take or in our case we take an annual overseas travel policy for $390 which covers us for all travel to almost anywhere on the world (Egypt at the moment wouldn't be covered) for the year.

Some cruisers/travellers rely on the insurance provided by their credit card provider (there are a couple of qualifications needed for this and one is they must have paid the majority of their fares with their credit card). We prefer to have the back-up of an independent policy. Every policy itemises its limit on each "procedure" and whilst I dont know what the OP went through I would be surprised if $10,000 wasn't covered.

Cheers

Di

Ring the insurance company and ask what is causing the payment to be held up. Once you have that information attend to it straight away so thy can process the payment.

If they can't tell you what the problem is or are just procrastinating tell them you will be referring the matter to the Insurance Ombudsman...then do just that. The office Of the Ombudsman will take up your case.

We have had a number of claims on a number of different travel insurance companies over the years and always found them prompt and helpful.

Nobody here can tell you why the insurance company has delayed payment...the only one who knows why is the insurance company. Go straight to the horses mouth :)

What makes me cry is that we don't have Aussie-type medical coverage in the u.s.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forums mobile app

What makes me cry is people think there exists such a thing as free health care. :D

The issue is that my private health insurrance is Australian but the expense occurred in the USA. Only travel insurrance covers you for overseas medical.

I think part of the issue is the differing procedures and policies between the 2 countries.

What makes me cry is that if the accident happened in Australia it would have cost $0 due to the Medicare cover & private ambulance cover.

At least we can still go on our cruise....

Drat the insurance company

Esilef -- Does your Australian Policy specifically include "out of country" medical coverage?

If NOT, does it state that you are covered at a lower coverage for "out of Network" treatment, that might cover you wherever you're treated?

ken

What makes me cry is people think there exists such a thing as free health care. :D

I don't think anyone thinks it is free however IMO other countries have a better system then the US. No one should have to go in debt for the rest of their life to receive necessary medical treatment. Even having good insurance, I still pay a lot out of pocket each year.

Archived