Who would you pick?...

callajl

Here is the scenerio:

2 families- 1 with 2 A/1-13DD, and the other 2 A/2-DS's 11 & 13

We have never been to Alaska. Our kids are pretty easy to please, they love to travel but love actual "outdoor" activites. Not too much for organzied, sit around playtime. Love sports of all types and to eat!

The adults enjoy nighttime comedy, not much on broadway type shows but love 60's until about 80's music, and to eat! We are pretty laid back and not formal but don't mind dressing up at all. We all have tuxes and formals, if needed.

Our choices so far, unless someone else has a different opinion are:

1- Royal Caribbean Radiance of the Seas

2- HAL Ryndam

3- Diamond Princess

Not necessarly in that order...

2006- I have been on the Princess site and can't get pricing, just itineraries. RCI has given me a decent price online and had to call HAL.

What is Diamond Princess doing next year? We are going in May.

Have sailed HAL Zaandam out of Vancouver, and Diamond out of Seattle - both Inside Passage routes. I would not sail out of Seattle, unless the route goes inside (east side) of Vancouver Island. Diamond went on the West side - ocean side - of Vancouver Island and so 2 full days were spent literally at sea, whereas out of Vancouver you go through gorgeous scenery most of the time. I think the bigger ships (Diamond and Oosterdam, etc.) can't go through the narrow straits out of Vancouver, but that is soooo beautiful. Study your route WELL before you book. Kids usually do not enjoy all of that sea time. This is just my honest opinion.

I'm on the NCL SUN in a couple of weeks. It is doing the "V to V" run. The Wind used to be the Winward, and went into service in 1993. It was stretched in 1998 and in 2001 went back into service to accomidate freestyle dining. I was on the Sea (used to be Seaward) in 1988 in it's first year.

We were on NCL Majesty 2 yrs ago to Bermuda. It was a nice enough ship, but I prefer the "mega" ships like the RCCL Mariner that we were just on. Could have been also we had an inside cabin and there were no balconies.

My son's are now 11 & 12 and they enjoyed the kids activites on the Majesty. They didn't do as much on the Mariner, but I think it was because the club wanted to do more "girl-boy" things and they are not into that yet!! :o

http://www.ncl.com/itinerary/it_ak.htm#

At any rate, have fun on your cruise!

Jacquelyn :D

The Diamond and Sapphire are sailing one ways (Vancouver to Whittier and then Whittier to Vancouver) in 2006. The Sun and Dawn Princess are doing RT out of Seattle in 2006.

Princess' website does not list prices.

Here is the scenerio:

2 families- 1 with 2 A/1-13DD, and the other 2 A/2-DS's 11 & 13

We have never been to Alaska. Our kids are pretty easy to please, they love to travel but love actual "outdoor" activites. Not too much for organzied, sit around playtime. Love sports of all types and to eat!

The adults enjoy nighttime comedy, not much on broadway type shows but love 60's until about 80's music, and to eat! We are pretty laid back and not formal but don't mind dressing up at all. We all have tuxes and formals, if needed.

Our choices so far, unless someone else has a different opinion are:

1- Royal Caribbean Radiance of the Seas

2- HAL Ryndam

3- Diamond Princess

Not necessarly in that order...

I would suggest you also make a priority list for Alaska. From your list above, you could easily go to the Caribbean for a fraction of the cost. :)

Consider ports, time in ports, glacier, route, price. Frankly the shows take a back seat for me with Alaska :)

Don't forget that by next May the girls may be 14 and 12! Their activity preferences may have changed by then, especially the two older ones.

There is lots of hiking/nature observation available in Alaska, with or without ship excursions. Would fishing amuse them? There's lots of history you can be talking up over the next 10 months to prepare them, as well.

Excursions are extremely expensive. To take a helicopter and go dogsledding would cost your family alone over $1200.

Also, since the girls are not really old enough to have a cabin by themselves, unless it is an adjoining cabin to yours, have you considered getting two suites that would accommodate all of you? It might be cheaper in the long run since add on fares for 3rd and 4th passengers in a cabin are fairly cheap. You would have the benefit of lots of balcony space with most suites. Some have two bedrooms and two baths, others just a curtain between the parents and kid/s, with one bath. But be careful in that, too. See a diagram of each suite you are looking at, with square footage given. Don't assume, but find out exactly what you'd be paying for. You would have the added benefit of a butler to bring you meals in the cabin if you don't want to dress up.

Are you thinking of renting a van to take a pre or post cruise land tour? If so, flying in to Anchorage or Fairbanks and working your way south to a departure port such as Whittier or Seward will give you more of a feel for ALL of Alaska (rather than a round trip from Vancouver, for instance).

Archived