Canceling gratuity

Thebes

As a retired government employee (local government, but government nonetheless) who worked very hard and "gave it my all" I resent that generalization!

Thank you for that. My parents were both government employees, and they also worked very hard.

Personally, I resent HAL for continuing to make the whole issue unclear. HSCs are getting to be standard in land-based hotels, and they're non-negotiable. Are they used in part to "tip" housekeeping staff which seems to have waned in popularity? Whatever.

HAL should add the per diem HSC to the fare and be honest about it. But that would make the cruise seem more expensive, so they won't. They'll leave us to waste time debating and doing the math and getting nickle-and-dimed to death.

Just another of the many HAL annoyances that are really getting to me lately, and why I've jumped ship to Silversea and Regent.

I've said this numerous times. This is such an easy fix. Hal should just have all passengers sign a document that they are being charged a daily service charge. Tip whatever you want to call it. It is non removable.

If you don't sign the paper you don't get on the ship. Easy peasy

This also frees up staff from dealing with all these simpletons who show up the last day of the cruise to have the charge removed.

I've said this numerous times. This is such an easy fix. Hal should just have all passengers sign a document that they are being charged a daily service charge. Tip whatever you want to call it. It is non removable.

If you don't sign the paper you don't get on the ship. Easy peasy

This also frees up staff from dealing with all these simpletons who show up the last day of the cruise to have the charge removed.

Yep! :)

As a retired government employee (local government, but government nonetheless) who worked very hard and "gave it my all" I resent that generalization!

Thank you for that. My parents were both government employees, and they also worked very hard.

As a retired federal government employee, I also used to resent that generalization but I have developed thicker skin over the years and simply disregard comments from people who have no idea what they are talking about.

Although I was never a government employee, I met and worked with many as a contractor for almost 40 years. The vast majority earned their pay, and some regularly went "above and beyond" ... but unfortunately I met a handful that started "coasting to retirement" around age 40 who couldn't be fired as easily as if they were non-government. It is this small minority that is the cause of the bad generalization. Oddly, I remember the slackers more than many of those who did their jobs honestly. :(

we used to always use cash but the last cruise we just did the prepaid tips, everything works out so much better and if you want to hand them some cash after then so be it.. Last Cruise i dont think any of them besides out head waiter deserved anymore.. We are doing my time this time so that should be alot different

wait just a minute here. the hch is 'optional.' it can be removed. it is not a part of the cruise fare. removing it simply means the staff performed as they should have. leaving it on your account IS the 'tip.' for better than expected service. average, expected service to me means no hch; remove. above that to me means leave hch, exceptional service means to me keep hch and add a little extra at the end of the cruise. just 'average' means, again, revoval of hch. i don't 'tip' just because someone is cute, sweet, makes a towel animal or shows you pictures of their family; they have to perform as the cruise line promises. if i want to contribute to charity, i have other sources. i am not the source of these folks' income; the cruise line is. if there is truly wonderful service, i leave on the hch. if it is really exceptional, i always tip extra. and i understand the 'rules.' for 'average' service, i feel no qualms whatsover about removing the hch.

We all seem to have different standards that we are comfortable with. I disagree with your assessment of the "rules" and having "no qualms" about removing the daily hotel charge for merely average service. If my service was non-existent, cabin dirty or inoperable, and my requests to rectify the situation were ignored, only then would I consider removing the charge.

truth in advertising, you know.
Anyone over the age of 7 knows there is very little unembellished 'truth' in advertising anymore. If you don't pay the standard charge for standard service you are cheating the stewards of their legitimate pay. Worse still, you are cheating many who may have done superior work behind the scenes.

We all seem to have different standards that we are comfortable with. I disagree with your assessment of the "rules" and having "no qualms" about removing the daily hotel charge for merely average service. If my service was non-existent, cabin dirty or inoperable, and my requests to rectify the situation were ignored, only then would I consider removing the charge.

I agree with you. Anything over average deserves extra in my books. I'm amazed at what people think they s/b getting.

Why can't these lines pay their employees a living wage and pass the costs on to the passengers? Either way we are going to pay, but wouldn't it be easier if we didn't have to put up with the Cruise director's constant shilling?

Because a LOT of people won't pay the higher fares that the cruise line will have to charge. And I don't recall the CD mentioning it a lot - could be that our charters are different. I do hear that we tip a lot more than regular cruises (AND or fares are much higher! :) ). ;)

Anyone over the age of 7 knows there is very little unembellished 'truth' in advertising anymore. If you don't pay the standard charge for standard service you are cheating the stewards of their legitimate pay. Worse still, you are cheating many who may have done superior work behind the scenes.

No kidding. It sounds like an excuse to me. Brutal! I don't know how some people sleep at night.

dear cat/331. if service does not measure up to the promises in the brochure, and it rarely does, it is substandard, and deserves no hsc. that 'service' is by definition 'inferior.' truth in advertising, you know.

If you are so dissatisfied with the service on HAL, seems to me you should be looking for another cruise line.

I might add that I find the service on HAL to generally be exceptional. Certainly deserving of having the service charge remain in place, if not giving a little extra when warranted.

You've said it all ladies:D:D Totally agree:D

Just have to wonder about the US posters who object so strenuously to the Hotel Service Charge---even to the extent of removing it. Do they never go out to dinner on land? If they do go out, do they not tip the wait staff? :eek:

Do they object to the restaurant owners, saying they want the tip to be included in the price of the meal? :rolleyes:

The Hotel Service Charge is pretty much the same thing.

Just have to wonder about the US posters who object so strenuously to the Hotel Service Charge---even to the extent of removing it. Do they never go out to dinner on land? If they do go out, do they not tip the wait staff? :eek:

Do they object to the restaurant owners, saying they want the tip to be included in the price of the meal? :rolleyes:

The Hotel Service Charge is pretty much the same thing.

I actually look at it as less than the same thing.

If you go to a restaurant the tip for "normal" service is 15%. BAD service still gets 10% and excellent service gets 20%.

With that base in mind, $12 per person per day is ONLY about 10% of the average daily cost of a cruise. On average, from what I've seen, cruises cost $120 per night per person. The nightly rate goes up, obviously with the booking of a suite, etc. The service charge still says around the $12 rate ($12.50). So at that point you're actually paying LESS than 10% daily.

I call that a steal. Even with bad service, it's still a steal.

Another question I've been wondering about, is whether the crew on your current cruise know that you have removed the HSC from you last cruise? I don't think I've seen anyone post about this.

Just curious.

there have been posters reporting that there are indeed lists - one even ran across one! The purpose of the list is to advise the staff that they cannot keep any tips and must turn them into the pool.

It is also my understanding that if you remove the hsc the stewards and staff that take care of you are spoken to in terms of improving service. So, yes, they WILL know one way or the other.

If we have terrible service in a land based restaurant, the tip will be anywhere from 0 to 5 percent. Often 0. Rewarding someone for terrible service just encourages them to give the next person the same terrible service. This is assuming it is a server issue and not a restaurant issue.

We will tip up to 20 percent for service on the other end of the scale, ie great service. We believe that the tip should reflect the service.

We would never, ever consider pulling our daily service charge. Like it or not, the cruise lines pass on this labor cost to us in order to appear more competitive.

After that we tip for good service. We consider ourselves fortunate to be able to cruise and vacation as often as we do. And we admire those that leave home for extended periods to support their families or to accumulate savings for a dream. For the most part they give us such great service and are always very pleasant.

Another question I've been wondering about, is whether the crew on your current cruise know that you have removed the HSC from you last cruise? I don't think I've seen anyone post about this.

Just curious.

I doubt that there's any official list, but in today's internet world I would not be the least bit surprised to learn of an "underground" data base among the stewards!!

there have been posters reporting that there are indeed lists - one even ran across one! The purpose of the list is to advise the staff that they cannot keep any tips and must turn them into the pool.
OVgirl is asking if there's any "carryover" of names from previous cruises: "whether the crew on your current cruise know that you have removed the HSC from you last cruise"

Just curious.

I wouldn't be a bit surprised, at least to the extent that people who are regular HAL cruisers are known throughout the fleet.

Many of the stewards have had multiple contracts, they get around, and they know each other. I'm sure they talk about us.

I doubt that there's any official list, but in today's internet world I would not be the least bit surprised to learn of an "underground" data base among the stewards!!

OVgirl is asking if there's any "carryover" of names from previous cruises: "whether the crew on your current cruise know that you have removed the HSC from you last cruise"

sorry John - I missed that - but you know what, I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't some sort of note made and passed on.

My reason for this is if there is letter waiting for you in your room from the HM because you wrote Seattle (whether good/bad) or made notes on your survey from the last cruise (whether good/bad), the odds are they also know this as well.

When we cruise we pay the HSC without question, and we don't complain about it. We tip extra to those folks (like room stewards, favorite waiters, bar help, etc.) who really made an extra effort to make our trip special and comfortable. I would never DREAM of removing the HSC. The staff works hard on those ships, and deserve the money, IMO. I can't believe that a cruiser would think removing the HSC was okay, but that's just me.

Archived