Unspent OBC: will Regent refund?

Quester2

On our Alaska cruise with Regent 3 years ago, at the end of the cruise, each of us were given our unspent OBC back (in cash or check, don't remember.) We are likely to have a large amount of unspent OBC this cruise. I'd like to be sure Regent still gives it back so I don't walk off the ship leaving money on the table. We'll be on the Mariner in October.

On our Alaska cruise with Regent 3 years ago, at the end of the cruise, each of us were given our unspent OBC back (in cash or check, don't remember.) We are likely to have a large amount of unspent OBC this cruise. I'd like to be sure Regent still gives it back so I don't walk off the ship leaving money on the table. We'll be on the Mariner in October.

Typically, your invoice from Regent or your TA will tell you what portion is refundable or non-refundable.

It depends upon whether your OBCs are refundable or not. Most of what we receive is not refundable so we end up spending it in the boutique, spa and excursions. Refundable OBCs are given out in cash.

Also, if you book and pay for excursions before your cruise and the excursion is not full, you can go to Destination Services and have them cancel your excursion and rebook paying with OBCs. The money you paid on your credit card will be refunded.

Hope this helps:-)

Aloha All,

I just looked at our final invoice for our upcoming cruise--3 weeks away! I can not find on this document any breakdown of refundable vs non-refundable OBC. Easy answer would simply be to go and ask at reception early in the cruise. We had around 300-400 USD in refundable OBC last year and took it in Euro for our post-cruise day in Rome.

Aloha from Hanalei,

Mark

Simple rule of thumb, if the OBC is from Regent: nonrefundable; if from your TA or a consortium such as Virtuoso: refundable in cash...My TA always sends me two invoices at the same time, one from Regent and one from the agency. The agency invoice gives a more complete break down including all OBCs and there origins as well as whether they are cash refundable or not. Hope this helps.

Who decides whether the OBC is refundable or not? We have OBC on our next cruise and our TA said to spend it all because it is not refundable. The OBC is offered by TA.

The answer is really quite simple; if the OBC is paid in full to the cruise line by someone or a business in full, that OBC is refundable. If the OBC comes from the cruise line in full or any portion, it is non-refundable.

In this case, since the TA told the OP that it is not refundable, at least a portion is coming from the cruise line and thus the full amount in non-refundable.

It is not a matter of someone deciding, the money must be paid in full by other than the cruise line to be refundable. Many OBC's that come from your TA are tied into promotions by the cruise line that may not apply to all TA's but, still non-refundable as the full amount of the OBC was not paid by the TA.

Archived