Welcome!

LauraS

;) LOL...don't get too excited, guys! My books aren't on the shelves presently. This due to having to pull from one publisher and move to another...very old story for any struggling writer.

After retiring from labor/delivery nursing, and getting the kids out on their own, I picked up an old 'want to' from my youth. With Larry's help, we wrapped a story around a nightmare I had one evening. Larry's deeply involved in the plotting of each book, especially all the technicals and equipment the characters use.

Being a gal of the 60/70's, my lead character's an intelligent, feisty, strong-willed female with complicated issues she struggles with while battling the bad guy. There is a romantic interest, but she keeps him at arm's length almost to the end. That relationship isn't so much a romance as it's a study in human emotions and conflicts.

Jeez, I've run on way too much. I'll be banished before I get to know everyone on this terrific board. :eek:

My dh and I must belong to this forum. me-58,dh just turned 62 yesterday. He gets to retire,I get to keep on working and looking forward to our cruises. Went on the fantasy 01/05. First time for both. Am going back on the Fantasy 10/05. It is what we can afford and we really like the cruising. Hope to save and go on something and some where different next time. But am looking forward to October.

My dh and I must belong to this forum. me-58,dh just turned 62 yesterday. He gets to retire,I get to keep on working and looking forward to our cruises. Went on the fantasy 01/05. First time for both. Am going back on the Fantasy 10/05. It is what we can afford and we really like the cruising. Hope to save and go on something and some where different next time. But am looking forward to October.
So many cruises, so little time 'n money:rolleyes: It will only get better with the Fantasy being your "first" ....

Mrs. Dfolks: If you take a cruise to do research for a book, can you deduct the price of the cruise? For instances, how about a little mystery about a honeymoon couple and the new husband somehow disappears on a cruise???:confused:

RobiesAbulela, sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you I've been busy with my new business.

I signed up with Aunties Beading Cruise in March after I started a bead making business, SAJ Beading by the Bay. You get three lessons while on the cruise. I soon dlscovered I was late in getting into this profession. Alot of really good beaders out there. One day I read about Petlane a new company for companion pets and their owners. I signed up the first of June as a pet advisor and am loving the company and learning so much about our pets. I deceided to still go on the cruise because I love to cruise and I can write off part of the trip. Sally Ann

Hello everyone,

We're taking our son and DIL on a cruise this November on the Princess Grand, our first on this line. ..... We're planning the Alaska cruise/land excursion in 2011, shortly after he's non-working seasoned senior. We love the idea of this group and look forward to getting to know everyone and all your life experiences.

We just got back from our first Princess cruise, and it was to Alaska. Trust me when I say that 2011 can't get here fast enough. Be sure to check out the Alaska board when doing your prep - it's chock full of great info.

Enjoy. :)

Terry

Terry, I'm going to Alaska this time next month on the Vision of the Seas - goes from Vancouver to Victoria, Skagway, Juneau, San Francisco, and ends in L.A. My second cruise to Alaska - first was on NCL two years ago.

I am booked on Princess this time next year out of Copenhagen for 26 days. I am really excited about that one - never been to that part of the world before. Now to lose weight so the plane ride doesn't kill me before I get there. I've never cruised on Princess before - or even HAL for that matter. Should be wonderful.

Just wish I could afford to retire and just travel - but unfortunately need the job to afford the trips. So, I'll have to work for a few more years - I also have a car to finish paying for.

Are we allowed to join y'all? I am not 55 but getting there fast (53) but DH turned 56 yesterday so he surely qualifies.....however he has no idea how to do a board - he has all he can do to check his email! ;) Sounds like a lively board and everyone loves to cruise - that is all we need in common! DH and I retired 4 1/2 years ago - very fortunate to retire so early - DH taught school for 30 years and has a good retirement. I "got retired" even though I didn't plan on it - long story short - a pharmacist filled a RX at 38,000 times the dose -who knew? You go to the pharmacy and expect it will be correct. So, 2 pills later I went into a lonnnngggg coma - weeks in the hospital, etc - but I am ok now. Took a lot of rehab but I am back! Just wasn't my time to go thank the Lord. DH has had 2 heart surgeries - so we both have been "to the other side" and have come back and we live each day as if it were our last. We cruise and travel all the time - we never know when our last day is so we will travel til we either run out of time or money. We know so many people who say "I wish we had....." and something happens to one of them. This way, no regrets for us when one of us is gone. We are on the 10/22 HAL Westerdam - Rome to Ft. Lauderdale - can't wait! Then taking a river cruise up the Rhine River through Germany and Holland over Christmas/New Year's-first river cruise so really looking forward to it. Any others out there going on either one of these? Let me know if I can join you as an "honorary" member since I am almost there! Smooth sailing to you all! Cindie :cool:

"Success is the best revenge" :D

Tee hee . . . tis so true. A very good friend told me as I was going through my divorce . . . (when I told her I was too old to go to law school) she said, "do you want to be a bitter divorcee or an attorney?" Hum? You are so very right . . . "success is the best revenge" . . . and as he told me that he had made the biggest mistake of his life . . . I smiled sweetly . . . and said, "yes, you did . . . get over it." :D Anyone going with me on my April 1st Liberty cruise? :p

What an awsome thread....and what AWSOME people here!

I'm definitely part of this group. I'm 61 and DH is 62. We're going on our 13th cruise on the NCL Jewel in October. I'm still trying to convince DH that cruising is a wonderful way to travel and vacation. Don't get me wrong...he enjoys it while we are on the ship, but he would never plan or suggest a cruise......that is until we did Disney in July with the kids and grandkids. When you realise that it takes a 20+ min bus ride just to get to your stop...and then another 10 minutes to get to your room....a cruise looks pretty darn good!

It looks like this group has some wonderful stories and experiences to share. Count me in as a frequent visitor. Enjoy your weekend everyone. Back later!

Jackie

• 3 weeks later...

What a great site this is! I'm 60,recently divorced (found out after 28 years of marriage that my DH had been 'dating'!) and ready to cruise again!

I'm curious about the cave tubing in Belize. I am not in good physical condition( maybe in 'no' physical condition) and have a bad knee. My friend who is going has some respiratory problems. Has anyone done this excursion? Is it strenuous? Does it involve alot of walking? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

Just checking out this site since I am 61 and hubby will be 64 in Nov. We are going on our second cruise together to Southern Caribbean with Princess at the end of Nov. Our very first cruise was 10 years ago to Alaska with Princess. He isn't big on traveling so most of my cruises have been with the girls. Jan and I have done them all together since her hubby isn't much on travel either. She and I have been friends since kids. I love long friendships.

Not thinking of retirement yet. Want to travel as much as possible while I have my health, thus need to keep working to pay for the travel. Retirement will give me the time to do the things I want but not enough money to do them!

After this cruise will try to save enough to go back to Switzerland (friends are living there for a while so can stay with them). Would like to take 2 weeks this time and include Paris and Vienna. After that would like to do a Med Cruise. Gotta have dreams and then work to make them real.

Happy cruising, Carol

Well I'm 50 and my dh is 62 - he's retired and I am on the 4 year plan retirement or the package whatever happens first. We've been cruising for a couple of years now, dh thought he would hate it; turns out that he loves it and wouldn't consider anything less than 10 days now. We have two booked cruises coming up - the Noordam out of NYC on 2/22/06 (it's the inaugrial cruise). Really looking forward to this one since we live in CT and requires no plane travel. We also have a 12 day booked on the Crystal Symphony in July 2006 Athens to Venice. This one is kind of our dream trip; once we do this one we will likely just do Caribbean since we both love the warm weather. We still have kids at home:eek: the only time this plays in our favor is when we need a pick up at the pier. LOL!

I'm also a young 55 and would love to be able to find someone with whom I could cruise once or twice a year. I'm just now going on my first cruise but am hooked after reading about cruising so much on this sight. I always vacation alone anyway...so it would be nice to cruise alone with a nice roomate.

Rebecca

Rebecca, I'm the group leader for the August 19, 2006 Caribbean Princess Cruise Critic group cruise. There is a lady who is older than you, but active and "young at heart" who is interested in sharing a stateroom on this group cruise.

Our cruise has great group rates and offers additional amenities, including shipboard credit and a photo voucher. We will have a sailaway party and a meet and mingle. But there is no requirement that you participate in any group activities--you can do as much or as little with the group as you want. Some people just book for the pricing. Also, there is no group dining--you eat when you want.

Click on the links in the banner for pricing information or email me at kacruiser@ev1.net if you have any questions or are interested in more information.

Rebeccajo68: I live in your hometown! Myself and a female friend, both of us slightly over age 55 cruise as often as we can afford to do so. We're semi-retired and do a lot of part time work about Ktown. We've done Alaksa (LOVED IT), cruised from Galveston on the 13 day Panama Canal cruise, loved Costa Rica. We have recently booked the Celebrity Summit round trip out of Los Angles for St Patricks Day 2007, (3/17/07), to Hawaii and return. We have two friends from New England who are also going along. If I hear of any other friends who might be interest and are looking for a room-mate, can I post here, or is there a direct way to contact you?

Oh my, what an exciting thread to stumble across on a rainy Saturday morning. Good morning my fellow Baby Boomers! Joan (known henceforth as The Lady, she who shall not be disobeyed) just turned 60 and I'm 63.

My first cruising experience lasted three years aboard the USS Canisteo (AO-99) - Ports of call were interesting but midnight buffet left a great deal to be desired.

We have cruised to Alaska on Princess, Western Carib on HAL, and last year to Hawaii for our 35th wedding anniversary. In Sept' 06 we'll be going to Copenhagan to pick up the Star Princess for the cruise & bruise (North Atlanctic can be rather rough at that time of the year) to NYC.

Joan is a part-time RN and I work for the Ohio Department of Rehabilitation and Corrections.

So, it is nice to join this group and get to know everyone. We'll be checking in from time to time.

• 1 year later...

MagnumPI--Do you look anything like Tom Selleck? I LOVED that show and occasionally watch the reruns. AND he's still a hottie!

DH and I were older than you when we discovered cruising--60 and 57. That was almost five years ago. It's not so bad being older. I actually got carded last week. A local department store has Senior Days every month and when I asked for the discount, the young girl at the register looked at me and said I didn't look a day over 50 and asked to see my ID. :D :D I told her I was 62 and she repeated her request for my ID. LOL I didn't know whether to be flattered that she thought I looked so much younger or insulted that she thought I was lying about my age. ;)

DH has retired twice,at 55 and later after his post-retirement job at 64, and now it is permanent. We are enjoying our leisure and traveling, long weekends at our lake house and spending time with grandkids.

He is more into cruising than ever. When we got home from our European cruise last July, he almost immediately started talking up the Mex. Riv. just because he'd overheard fellow Jewel cruisers raving about it. In less than a month he asked me to do the research and to call my step-sis, our TA, and book it. I almost asked, "Who are you and what have you done with my husband?" lol Next winter there is a good chance we will be doing Aus/NZ. (Also due to overheard comments)

Life is short--live while you can!

1/02 Explorer E. Carib.

1/03 Explorer W. Carib.

8/03 Summit Alaska cruise/tour

2/04 Adventure S. Carib.

2/05 Galaxy Panama Canal

6/06 Jewel Brit. Isles/Nor. Fjords + 3 days in London

1/07 Mercury Mexican Riviera

Here's a forum *just* for seniors to share their cruising experiences!

What is the "best" cruise line for those 55+?

Are there any special perks seniors can expect from the cruise lines?

Browse Cruise Critic's Hot New Options for Seniors, then share your own "hot" tips for other senior cruisers!

Laura

I have only been on 3 different lines, but HAL is the best for seniors, in my opinin. NO KIDS, good food, and nice service. Also very clean.