Cruise Critic Community
LauraS

Welcome!

Is there a cruise line that's better geared for seniors ?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

DW and I are close to 63. We have tried Norwegian, Carnival, Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, Holland America, and Cunard. Currently, we prefer them in that order from worst to best. I don't know if age is the determining factor. It depends on what is important to the individual. We will probably not do Norwegian or Carnival again because we prefer a more formal, elegant, conservative, classic environment and we love to dance. You will notice that I said currently. We used to prefer Celebrity, but they recently have changed their policies and quality of music. No more a capella groups and no more string ensembles for entertainment. Their dance music is geared for people who do not "couples dance" where the dance partners touch while dancing. The music is geared toward people who do what I call "rhythmic bobbing". No need for a partner - which is fine - I'm just not their target audience any more. Cunard has huge dance floors and an orchestra in their ballrooms.

There are seniors who prefer the excitement, liveliness and versatility of Norwegian and Carnival and they like hanging out with younger people and families. Even Carnival has an older clientele on cruises over 11 days because younger people usually don't take longer cruises. It's nice that there are so many choices for all tastes. If you know what kind of environment you prefer, Cruise Critic can provide a lot of guidance.

Happy Cruising, Jerry of Jerry and Lady Kathryn

Jerry ,

I want to thank you for such a nice response. It really helped me understand things

Much better. I'm not afraid to ask for advice if someone's more experienced.

Thanks again and take care.

Don

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Don,

You're welcome. Right now, Lady Kathryn and I are planning a Cunard cruise on the Queen Victoria in April. In fact, I just made my final payment. We're looking forward to 19 nights from Los Angeles through the Panama Canal to New York City. We haven't cruised on the Queen Victoria before, but from what I can see, the layout is almost identical to that of the Queen Elizabeth, which we really enjoyed last year in a transatlantic from Southampton to Ft. Lauderdale.

It sure is nice being retired and having the time to catch any cruise that we can afford. I'm thinking of trying Crystal for our next cruise. They're considerably more expensive than the other cruise lines that we've tried, but I'm curious to try a luxury brand to see if it's worth the extra money. (To be truthful, I'm a little afraid to try Crystal because I'm afraid that Lady Kathryn will decide it's the only way to cruise, and then where will I be?) Which cruise lines have you found most enjoyable so far?

Jerry of Jerry and Lady Kathryn

Morning all!

I never mind being a "senior citizen" (56) but I sure hate being CALLED one! Isn't there some other, more accurate and complimentary "title" for us? I don't know about all of you, but I'm still very active, very healthy and very far from a rocking chair!

Cindy,

When I turned 55 last year, I coined the word Tweenior for the 55 - 64 age group in which I now fit . . . old enough for some senior's benefits but not yet a full pensionable senior. I Googled it and discovered that I am not the first to use it but I like it anyway.

Karen

Karen, I haven't heard the expression "tweener," but it's clever. I say "seasoned citizen" for those over a certain age. I can't be pigeon holed because I'm so often told I look much younger that I never think of myself as "senior." It's silly because I enjoy the perks. Fifteen percent discount at Denny's restaurants so I bring my adult children and it's a bargain. Discounts at most chain places but I don't frequent them as I prefer neighborhood cafes and small quaint restaurants and music clubs. Then there are also the cruise discounts and special senior offers. Speaking of cruising, I cruised twice in 2014, January with my then-18 year old daughter and her friend on the Carnival Splendor and September 2014 with two friends on the Norwegian Breakaway. I preferred Carnival. I made the mistake of buying ahead on another Norwegian cruise so I have to take something in the next four years. I do want to cruise Carnival again but I think my next one will be on Royal Caribbean (my favorite line!), which I haven't cruised in too long. Happy trails! Cheryl

Just joined Cruise Critic, have cruised 4 times, and am in the 55+ group. Hubby LOVES to cruise, and I'm good with it.

Welcome aboard? So much to learn, and contribute for others. :-)

OMG - I was already 5 years past when this original post was started!:) Now after 28 cruises (ocean and river cruises) with two more booked, I have decided to read through these "aged" threads" to see what I might have missed and to seek out the good advice for our future cruises.

My wife and I are really fortunate and blessed to have our health and the resources to travel a little at our "advancing age," as occasionally referenced by our youngest son!

Many Cruise Critic folks of all ages have already significantly enlightened our lives since we began following the posts on various subjects and we have made many wonderful acquaintances aboard ships.

Morning all!

I never mind being a "senior citizen" (56) but I sure hate being CALLED one! Isn't there some other, more accurate and complimentary "title" for us? I don't know about all of you, but I'm still very active, very healthy and very far from a rocking chair!

Cindy,

I have always liked 'Age Challenged' :cool:

we are planning a cruise from bangkok to shanhai. we are concerned about the long flight.

We did some research and looking at an Emerites flight from Ft. Lauderdale, FL changing planes in Dubai then on to Bangkok. Does any one have experience with this flight.....specifically it is a change of planes in Dubai. 3 hour layover. Easy?

we are planning a cruise from bangkok to shanhai. we are concerned about the long flight.

We did some research and looking at an Emerites flight from Ft. Lauderdale, FL changing planes in Dubai then on to Bangkok. Does any one have experience with this flight.....specifically it is a change of planes in Dubai. 3 hour layover. Easy?

This is the wrong place to ask this sort of question, but I was trolling the boards.

We fly Emirates often. Cabin crew are from all over the world, including the UK. Service is excellent. Dubai Airport is fantastic. There is lots to see and many eating places with different cuisines. The route you describe is pretty direct, so if the price is right, go for it. Hapoy travels.

My DH and I are proud that we are growing "old" together- Unfortunately, some people postpone doing things and never live to enjoy. We are over 55 and enjoy our grandchildren and enjoy cruising with family and just together! We have been on almost 50 cruises and our preferred lines are Celebrity and Royal.

Will be fun to talk to likeminded people!