Aruba & Curacao

ccladdict

Just a couple of question for those of you who have been to Aruba and Curacao, as I will be stopping at these ports for the first time on my cruise in November

Curacao - is this port wheelchair friendly?, I am travelling with my daughter who is confined to a wheelchair (manual chair and I will be pushing) a we would like to walk around the town and visit the floating market, do we have to cross the bridge? if so do you think would this be a problem?

Aruba - we are planning on going to a beach in the morning and shopping around the port area in the afternoon, does anyone know if the the buses are wheelchair accessible? which beach would be the best option?

thanks

Lynda

My Husband and I did a tour in Curaçao and were dropped off in downtown area afterwards. I use a wheelchair and he pushes, we made our way back to the ship across the floating bridge and through the market. We had no problems. Just keep an eye on the bridge for movement lot's of people stayed on it when it moved we got the wrong info and thought we would be stuck there for hours and miss our cruise ship departure(not true it was just open for a short time but, you really should ask there's a way to tell something about colored flags)be sure to ask before you crosss maybe someone on your cruise can help with that. Any way we had no problems getting around Curaçao and really enjoyed the day.

Rhonda

I have been to each port three times. Curacao is quite accessible. Even if the bridge opens, it only takes a few minutes. Do not worry. I did not find an accessible tour in Aruba. Try a private company, or check the roll call and ask there. The port is easy to get around.

Just a couple of question for those of you who have been to Aruba and Curacao, as I will be stopping at these ports for the first time on my cruise in November

Curacao - is this port wheelchair friendly?, I am travelling with my daughter who is confined to a wheelchair (manual chair and I will be pushing) a we would like to walk around the town and visit the floating market, do we have to cross the bridge? if so do you think would this be a problem?

Aruba - we are planning on going to a beach in the morning and shopping around the port area in the afternoon, does anyone know if the the buses are wheelchair accessible? which beach would be the best option?

thanks

Lynda

I have been to both ports twice and plan to go again this upcoming January. I use a mobility scooter and have no problem in either port. Curacao is a beautiful port and you won't have any problems with the bridge. Most of the vendors are along the waterfront as the bridge has to swing open to allow ships and boats in an out of the inlet. There is so much to see that, as the one pushing the wheelchair, you could tire fairly easily. Just allow for frequent breaks for photo taking and beverages to stay hydrated. It can get hot in the southern Caribbean.

Aruba is my favorite port in the Caribbean. You won't have any problems getting a handicap accessible bus or taxi. My favorite beach is Eagle Beach. You can rent beach umbrellas and chairs and there is a nice beach bar close by for food, music and drinks.

Good Luck and Enjoy.

I have been to both ports twice and plan to go again this upcoming January. I use a mobility scooter and have no problem in either port. Curacao is a beautiful port and you won't have any problems with the bridge. Most of the vendors are along the waterfront as the bridge has to swing open to allow ships and boats in an out of the inlet. There is so much to see that, as the one pushing the wheelchair, you could tire fairly easily. Just allow for frequent breaks for photo taking and beverages to stay hydrated. It can get hot in the southern Caribbean.

Aruba is my favorite port in the Caribbean. You won't have any problems getting a handicap accessible bus or taxi. My favorite beach is Eagle Beach. You can rent beach umbrellas and chairs and there is a nice beach bar close by for food, music and drinks.

Good Luck and Enjoy.

Do they have any beach wheelchairs that you know of in Aruba?

I don't remember seeing any but that's not to say they don't rent them. There is a long walk to the beach from where the taxis and buses let you out but it is paved all the way to within 50-75 feet of water.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

• 2 weeks later...

Willemstad, on Curacao is very accessible and on our last two cruise stops there we have just walked (I walk and push DW) from the ship into the town and back. We have found Oranjestad on Aruba a little more difficult but still doable. I have never seen an accessible public bus there but you will have no trouble getting a van taxi if you want to go to a beach.

Archived