Jazz Club on Allure/Oasis of the Seas

laedw

If you like jazz, you would probably enjoy the Prohibition Party. It's a limited size party in the jazz club with cocktails and food.

Gregg,

This sounds fabulous? This is the first I have heard about a Prohibition Party on the ship. Do you have to have an invitation? What day/time does it occur? Any information you can provide would be helpful. Thank you.

On my sailing, it was primarily the RKO Jazz Quartet and Jim Maneri. It was mainly traditional jazz standards. Some nights it was an All-Star Band pulling from the other ship musicians. Very good every time we stopped by.:)

Well, I know where I will be spending some time on the ship. Oh yeah!:D Thanks!

We loved it! It's real jazz, now the Kenny G stuff, and wow was it awesome. Sadly, it seemed underused. I guess it all depends on personal taste.

I prefer the real jazz to Kenny G or smooth jazz stuff. I hope more people take advantage of this entertainment. I would hate for RCCL to repurpose this venue!

I know another cruise line has several smooth jazz cruises but they do not interest me. In the past, I cruised on NCL which offered jazz cruises with traditional jazz bands and singers --- Count Basie Orchestra, Joe Williams, Dorothy Donegan, which were heavenly.

Thanks for the input.

Gregg,

This sounds fabulous? This is the first I have heard about a Prohibition Party on the ship. Do you have to have an invitation? What day/time does it occur? Any information you can provide would be helpful. Thank you.

Hey! You can reserve ahead of time. It's under "Specialty Restaurants, " usually the 5th night of the cruise.

I'm signed up for my cruise in November. People who have been there say it's Fun, fun, fun.

Gregg,

Hey! You can reserve ahead of time. It's under "Specialty Restaurants, " usually the 5th night of the cruise.

I'm signed up for my cruise in November. People who have been there say it's Fun, fun, fun.

Here's a thread about it. The max is 50 people so you should sign up ASAP to make sure you get in. Make sure you keep it a secret. ;)

PS: Not everyone goes in costume.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1908406&highlight=prohibition+party

I've enjoyed almost all of the jazz combos that I've seen on Oasis and Allure. They do play different styles of jazz and the combos have different compositions depending on the instruments played.

One combo did have a Frank Sinatra style crooner who sang pretty much the same songs every night. One night he had a special "Frank Sinatra tribute show". Lots of people showed up, but I had to laugh because he sang the very same songs he had been singing the other nights!

Sometimes the combo will have a singer and other times one of the musicians is also the singer, usually a pianist.

Usually once a cruise the ship's orchestra musicians will do a jazz show, I guess to give the combo a break. That is often very enjoyable because the orchestra musicians are quite versatile. They play everything from big band swing to Miles Davis and Coltrane renditions to New Otleans Dixieland.

Some combos will accept or even solicit requests and others do not.

Some combos are very friendly and interact with the audience. Others are more reserved, serious and not given to banter.

I try to get to the jazz club for a set or two every night of a cruise on Oasis and Allure. In all that time, I have never seen or heard a Kenny G stylist.

I hope you enjoy the Jazz Club as much as I do. It is one of the things I love about Oasis and Allure.

Archived