China, Asia and the Far East

Hydrokitty

I'm looking at one of two possible cruises for my second Celebrity adventure....the first one was fantastic!!

China and Asia.12 nights on Century visiting China and Japan;

Far East..14 nights on Millenium visiting Japan, Korea and China.

Has anyone done this itinerary, or similar? I'm concerned about the length of flights from JFK, which believe it or not, is shorter than from LAX. We fly business class but don't seem to have many options in airlines.

Interested in ANY and EVERY thing prior cruisers have done. :D

We have booked the China/Japan on the Century for April 2015. It was the only cruise I could find that did Bejing, Shangahi and Tokyo. We have flown to SE Asia before and the flights were very long; but quite worthwhile. It would probably be a shorter flight going to China, since you probably go over the North Pole from NY.

I'm looking at one of two possible cruises for my second Celebrity adventure....the first one was fantastic!!

Has anyone done this itinerary, or similar? I'm concerned about the length of flights from JFK, which believe it or not, is shorter than from LAX. We fly business class but don't seem to have many options in airlines.

Fly cathay pacific business class....dont even look at others.

I would not visit these countries on a cruise....we have been to japan and china many times and you would see more by just flying to tokyo and beijing. Sorry...but cruising is not the way to see or experience these countries.

I'd recommend the singapore to hong kong cruises...and/or singapore to indonesia rt.

Both are great itineraries and visiting them by cruise ship is fine.

Both will be great. I would look closely at the pre and post cruise ports for ease of flying and also considering stays there on land and factoring in which you might be more interested spending extra time in.

Keith

Disclaimer first: my only cruise to the far east was a 16-day cruise on Princess from Beijing to Bangkok. In addition to the cruise, we included a 4 day pre-cruise trip to Beijing and X'ian and a 5 night post-cruise to Cambodia and Siem Reap. I reasoned that it was unlikely we would be visiting the area often (or ever again), and I wnted to see the most as possible in the time allotted. Accordingly, my comments are not on the Celebrity cruise experience, but on a visit to the area. I also note that many folks can not take off 28 days from work at a time. For me, since I planned the trip 18 months in advance, it was a bit easier planning..and hubby was able to secure a week of unpaid leave for the trip (also because we had planned in advance --and the recession was still 3 years away). In hindsight, I think it was worth it. This is a great cruise to take at middle age [45 and 54]--when you can get around more easily, relish and enjoy the memories, and check off some big items from your bucket list. I am particularly glad that we went when we did -- especially now since health problems have made it more difficult for me to climb hills.]

First, the flight. We flew from Bos to NYC to Hong Kong. Total flight time,1 hour to NYC, 1 hour layover in NYC and then 16 hours flight to Hong Kong-- we crossed the international dateline too. We were in Hong Kong for 6 hours -- just short of enough time to visit the city and then flew to Beijing--another 3 hours. Our flight to X'ian was 2 hours afer arriving in Bejing-- and our baggage had not arrived from NYC. Cathay Pacific gave us $$ and held our luggage for the night while we were off to X'ian to visit the terra cotta warriors [in hind sight I woud have packed a carry-on bag for the side trip to X'ian]. On the way back to Beijing, we picked up our luggage and made it into the city. [i must say, we flied Cathay Pacific in coach -- the business class upgrade at the time was $7K more, per person, and I decided to spend our vacation money more efficently] I understand for some folks money is no object, for others it is. For us, Cathay Pacific coach was the nicest/most pleasant coach travel that I have ever experienced.

After exploring X'ian and Bejing for 4 days, we were off on the cruise. We were fortunate enough to have an excelent rolll call where lots of folks took charge in helping to plan excursions in various cities. Since this was one of the first asian cruises on Princess, most experiences/excursions were new and we were (after much study) feeling our way around. BTW, the cruise visited the following ports: Beijing (Tianjin), China; Busan, South Korea; Nagasaki, Japan; Shanghai, China; Hong Kong, China; Ho Chi Minh City (Phu My), Vietnam; Singapore, Bangkok (Laem Chabang), Thailand .

Anyway, the ports were exceptional. Since many CC roll call members took the lead on different areas -- and the planning for each port was extensive-- the overall enjoyment and experiences were fantastic! Pre and post cruise expericences were also enjoyable, because since we had "met" folks on roll calls, many of the members went on planned excursions post-crusie too.

In hindsight, I am very glad we traveled the entire asian coast in one cruise. In actually, it was more cost efficent to do so rather than to break it into 2 or 3 cruises. In the same vein, I cannot imagine doing such a cruise without an active, inclusive, participating roll-call.

IN any event, I think it is a wonderful area to visit and explore. Not only does it give you a taste of a different culture, for me, it made me much more appreciative of the american culture.

Enjoy your cruise!

We have done China, Korea and Japan twice. Once on Azamara B2B and once on the Millennium B2B2B.

The flight is very long and expensive. We flew business class both times. I would recommend that you do B2B (or more) since otherwise the airfare will be more that the cruise (unless in the Penthouse).

We are scheduled on the Century B2B2B in 2015 to pick up Vietnam and some other countries we have missed.

I am VERY happy that Celebrity has expanded into this part of the world:)

I would not visit these countries on a cruise....we have been to japan and china many times and you would see more by just flying to tokyo and beijing. Sorry...but cruising is not the way to see or experience these countries.

I'd recommend the singapore to hong kong cruises...and/or singapore to indonesia rt.

I think I'm going to take your advice! In reading Frommer's China, there's way too much I want to see and most of it is inland, so I'd either be spending all my time on buses doing excursions, or missing a lot. Vantage has a combination land and river cruise and I know several people who have raved about it on CC....and I've done many trips with them too so I know I'll be getting money's worth. Killer is going to be the airfare, since we fly business class on flights over 6 hours. Oh well, kids will just have to learn to do without their inheritance!!:D

Agree..I was also considering an Asia cruise...but the more I looked into it the more I realized the best way was going to be a land tour. This past October we did a two week land tour of Beijing, Xi'an & Shanghai and no doubt it was the best way to see this country..Can't wait to go back to Shanghai it was amazing.

Agree..I was also considering an Asia cruise...but the more I looked into it the more I realized the best way was going to be a land tour. This past October we did a two week land tour of Beijing, Xi'an & Shanghai and no doubt it was the best way to see this country..Can't wait to go back to Shanghai it was amazing.[/quote

Thank you for responding, I was worried when I saw that CC moved my post from the Celebrity page to this one. Now for some questions: I'm planning on going in October (after the Oct. 1-7 national holiday) and weather seems to range for all the cities we would be visiting at between 50 and 70 degrees. Is that true? (I have trust issues!) Also read in Frommer's that rainy season is early spring and summer..also true? Should I be concerned about crowds first week in Oct. because that was the first date I had in mind, but after reading Frommer they said that's NOT a good ti:)me to go. Ashland, do you mind if I drive you bonkers with questions? I've traveled all over the world too, so if I can help you at any time, I'd be glad to.

PS: I'm a NYer by way of Huntsville Alabama!

Agree..I was also considering an Asia cruise...but the more I looked into it the more I realized the best way was going to be a land tour. This past October we did a two week land tour of Beijing, Xi'an & Shanghai and no doubt it was the best way to see this country..Can't wait to go back to Shanghai it was amazing.[/quote

Thank you for responding, I was worried when I saw that CC moved my post from the Celebrity page to this one. Now for some questions: I'm planning on going in October (after the Oct. 1-7 national holiday) and weather seems to range for all the cities we would be visiting at between 50 and 70 degrees. Is that true? (I have trust issues!) Also read in Frommer's that rainy season is early spring and summer..also true? Should I be concerned about crowds first week in Oct. because that was the first date I had in mind, but after reading Frommer they said that's NOT a good ti:)me to go. Ashland, do you mind if I drive you bonkers with questions? I've traveled all over the world too, so if I can help you at any time, I'd be glad to.

PS: I'm a NYer by way of Huntsville Alabama!

We arrived into Beijing on Oct 5, 2012 Friday just at the end of the National Holiday week..and as far as we're concerned our timing was great..The cities were still very festive but most locals seemed to be heading back home..We were amazed at the small crowds in Tiananmen Square and the Forbidden City on Saturday since we heard the crowds the last few days had been record high. I wouldn't hesitate to go again at this time of the year (just avoiding the holiday week). Our weather in each of the cities was very nice and warm nothing like what we were expecting. I can't express just how amazing our entire trip was and we will go back without a doubt, even if it means using the "squatty pottys" again. :eek:

Thanks so much for the offer of travel help..always much appreciated when I'm going on some new adventure. I had much help from a couple of people here on Cruise Critic and it was priceless when planning our China trip.

Any questions you may have that I might possibly (in my limited knowledge) be able to help with will be my pleasure.

PS..What is it about us southerners that end up in the big cities :D

We arrived into Beijing on Oct 5, 2012 Friday just at the end of the National Holiday week..and as far as we're concerned our timing was great..The cities were still very festive but most locals seemed to be heading back home..We were amazed at the small crowds in Tiananmen Square and the Forbidden City on Saturday since we heard the crowds the last few days had been record high. I wouldn't hesitate to go again at this time of the year (just avoiding the holiday week). Our weather in each of the cities was very nice and warm nothing like what we were expecting. I can't express just how amazing our entire trip was and we will go back without a doubt, even if it means using the "squatty pottys" again. :eek:

Thanks so much for the offer of travel help..always much appreciated when I'm going on some new adventure. I had much help from a couple of people here on Cruise Critic and it was priceless when planning our China trip.

Any questions you may have that I might possibly (in my limited knowledge) be able to help with will be my pleasure.

PS..What is it about us southerners that end up in the big cities :D

I am thrilled to hear about the date being ok, since early Oct. was my first choice...

I don't know excitement, employment, marriage!! Actually, in the interest of total honesty, I am not a native of Alabama. I only lived there and then moved to NY.

The aviation nerd in me is going to chime in on those aspects ;)

JFK to Hong Kong, for example, is 800 miles longer than LAX to Hong Kong. Not significantly longer considering how far apart they are in the US, but interesting nonetheless. The savings is a result of JFK-HKG being a polar route, while LAX-HKG often goes no further north than the southern part of Alaska (having flown that route more times than I can count).

http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=lax-hkg,+jfk-hkg

Cathay Pacific has great business class on the B777-300 aircraft that they fly to New York. I would recommend trying to get on that. The Middle Eastern airlines (i.e. Etihad and Emirates) have very nice business classes as well. Flying via the Middle East adds about 2500 miles, but may be worth it if prices are decent.

http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=jfk-auh-hkg,+jfk-dxb-hkg,+jfk-hkg

Aside from that, you really do have many options to Asia (Tokyo, Seoul, Hong Kong, Shanghai, wherever) from New York, just not necesarilly nonstop (though there certainly are nonstops to all of those cities I listed, and more)

The aviation nerd in me is going to chime in on those aspects ;)

JFK to Hong Kong, for example, is 800 miles longer than LAX to Hong Kong. Not significantly longer considering how far apart they are in the US, but interesting nonetheless. The savings is a result of JFK-HKG being a polar route, while LAX-HKG often goes no further north than the southern part of Alaska (having flown that route more times than I can count).

http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=lax-hkg,+jfk-hkg

Cathay Pacific has great business class on the B777-300 aircraft that they fly to New York. I would recommend trying to get on that. The Middle Eastern airlines (i.e. Etihad and Emirates) have very nice business classes as well. Flying via the Middle East adds about 2500 miles, but may be worth it if prices are decent.

http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=jfk-auh-hkg,+jfk-dxb-hkg,+jfk-hkg

Aside from that, you really do have many options to Asia (Tokyo, Seoul, Hong Kong, Shanghai, wherever) from New York, just not necesarilly nonstop (though there certainly are nonstops to all of those cities I listed, and more)

Thanks for explaining the difference.....i love it when I learn something new from fellow posters! I've heard great things about Cathay Pacific and of course Emirates looks really wonderful. You've given me some good ideas. I really hadn't considered flying Middle Eastern and of course, when flying business class every $1000 helps!! :D

thank you to all who responded and helped me decide whether I wanted an ocean cruise or a land/river cruise. You're input was extremely helpful and I just want to let you know that I have taken your advice and booked land/river with vantage. I'm usually on the river cruise forum, so anyone considering a river cruise to Europe, Egypt or Costa Rica, I'm available to answer questions. :D

• 3 weeks later...

Hydrokitty,

Hello, fellow Vantage traveler. We are booked on the Around Japan cruise with Celebrity Century April 2015. The cruises you mentioned look great, but I am sure you have to get a visa for China. After doing three weeks in China, we loved it, but don't wish to pay another $200 pp for a visa.

• 2 weeks later...

I am going to state outright that I am from Singapore and hence I am partial towards Singapore.

Why not cruise out of Singapore and spend a few days here in the process?

Business class flights? Wonderful.

I would strongly recommend Singapore Airlines (SQ). SQ flies to New York (JFK) via Frankfurt, and they now operate the Airbus 380 on this route. I think the flights are daily, but you have to double check to confirm.

In my own personal and biased opinion, I think SQ Business is superior to CX Business.

Here is a recent trip video I made of a Singapore-London flight on SQ 322, flying Business Class. Happy to answer any questions you may have.

Here are some pictures of the SilverKris Lounge at Singapore Changi Airport, Terminal 3. This is SQ's flagship lounge.

http://guitar123foodandtravel.blogspot.sg/2013/10/singapore-changi-airport-silver-kris.html

Archived