Cruise Critic Community
janmcn

Budapest is GREAT!

Check out the Marriott Millenium court Apts

If you do not want to cook the breakfast places across the road are cheap

We had a 2 bedroom apt for 2 nights very reasonable

Lots of eating places around the corner

Walking distance to many places

We stayed in the Intercontinental August last year, full price is quite expensive, but we booked direct a few months out and paid a very good price and they even upgraded us. Its so central and with magnificent views of the Royal Palace and the Danube.

Loved Budapest, we had 3 days pre cruise. Walked everywhere, from Castle Hill, Parliament, House of Terror, market, Heroes Square, Chain Bridge, Shoes on the Danube ...then a river cruise and we also did a free walking tour, which was great too. Lots of yummy meals and shopping..love the local crafts.

Was hoping to go back next year, but it'll have to be our next trip.

We loved Budapest as well. The people, the food, the history, it's all amazing.

We stayed 4 days on our own after our cruise at the Hotel Palazzo Zichy. I found it on tripadvisor. Read the reviews there. If you're like me, you'll wonder how all of them could possibly be true. But they are!

Wonderful hotel, staff, breakfast, and the price is much better than the Sofitel and the others on the river. Granted, you won't have a river view. But the price makes up for it. Seriously, how long do you sit in your hotel room looking out the window? The hotel is about a 10 minute walk to where the ships dock. You can walk to the bus or subway line, or to shopping, or the National Museum and the Jewish Museum. It's in a mostly residential neighborhood with restaurants nearby. I booked it online and there was a discount for payment in advance, as well.

http://www.hotel-palazzo-zichy.hu/

We decided to try the Hotel Victoria. It is on the Buda side and the reviews on Tripadvisor are very good. For a very reasonable price you get river views of the Chain Bridge and Parliament, free wifi, a complete breakfast (including hot items), completely refurbished rooms, and complimentary afternoon tea in the historic Hubay Music Hall on property.

THere were so many good choices out there. Seems like you can't go wrong!

I really don't think there could be any bad hotels in Budapest that have been given good reviews…locations are all probably great for one reason or another. Just do plan to spend several days (if you can) either before or after a cruise…you won't regret it.

We loved Budapest as well. The people, the food, the history, it's all amazing.

We stayed 4 days on our own after our cruise at the Hotel Palazzo Zichy. I found it on tripadvisor. Read the reviews there. If you're like me, you'll wonder how all of them could possibly be true. But they are!

Wonderful hotel, staff, breakfast, and the price is much better than the Sofitel and the others on the river. Granted, you won't have a river view. But the price makes up for it. Seriously, how long do you sit in your hotel room looking out the window? The hotel is about a 10 minute walk to where the ships dock. You can walk to the bus or subway line, or to shopping, or the National Museum and the Jewish Museum. It's in a mostly residential neighborhood with restaurants nearby. I booked it online and there was a discount for payment in advance, as well.

http://www.hotel-palazzo-zichy.hu/

We also stayed at the Hotel Palazzo Zichy, and I agree that it is fantastic. The rooms are a little small, but very quiet. Service is fantastic; no request was too much. The included breakfast is excellent. The hotel is an old mansion that has been fully restored in a modern style. The pricing was very reasonable by American standards. We were there for five wonderful nights.

Edited by Lobes1

Consider the Corinthia in the Jewish Quarter, especially if you can upgrade to the Executive King room with lounge access:) The pool and spa area is amazing. The #4 & #6 tram are right outside your door. Less than a 5 minute walk to the Oktogon Metro and Andrassey Ave. Bock Bistro was the best, too!

Janmcn-loved your pictures! Lake Balaton is definitely on my list for a return trip

PS my photos are up on my smugmug site under "Travel"

Jan,

Your photos are beautiful! Are you using an HD camera?

Ann Marie

sippican,

You are in for a treat! We did a night "sail away" from Budapest. It is MAGICAL. That city is beautiful by day, and spectacular at night.

Knowing that we had the night sail away, we opted not to do the Legenda.

Enjoy!

Hello, bobalink - and everyone!

I fully agree with Budapest being spectacular at night!

I did Passau to Budapest and back in April. We booked an evening guided coach tour and it was certainly a highlight on our cruise. The coach took us to the citadel hill from where we had a great view over the town and we took lots of photos!

We had decided against the daytime tour offered and explored the town centre on our own, as we had done the long Esztergom excursion in the morning. From what I have read on cruisecritic so far the itinerary on my cruise was quite different in parts from what the other cruise companies offer. I reckon this is because of my cruise having been a round trip and it also catering more for European / German customers.

Budapest is one of my favourite places I have visited so far in my life.

notamermaid

We decided to try the Hotel Victoria. It is on the Buda side and the reviews on Tripadvisor are very good. For a very reasonable price you get river views of the Chain Bridge and Parliament, free wifi, a complete breakfast (including hot items), completely refurbished rooms, and complimentary afternoon tea in the historic Hubay Music Hall on property.

THere were so many good choices out there. Seems like you can't go wrong!

Im eager to hear about your trip...we take the same one in Sept and I'd love to hear all about it when you get back.

FOR ALL: who have stayed in Budapest...I searched this out and am adding a question about the Millennium Apartments in Budapest. The Sofitel concierge level is almost $1300 for 3 nights, the Marriott concierge level is $1000- the Millennium is a block off the main drag and is less than $500 and includes a modest breakfast, I'm having a tough time justifying that much money for a view. Has anyone stayed at Millennium? The TA reviews are good, but should I be aware of any negatives?

Dear Jan,

Thanks for your posts. We will spend an additional two nights in Budapest after an Avalon cruise. We hava already booked the Parliament and plan to see the opera and tale the night boat ride. We'd love some recommendations for restaurants or cafés. We are staying in the Intercontinental near the Parliament.

Thank you,

Nancy

We stayed @ the Intercontinental last month.

A couple places we ate meals at include the Cafe' Kor, which is down the street from St. Stephen's cathedral. If you're facing the church, turn left down that street. The restaurant is on the right...the signage is hard to see; but there is a white awning.

Another place, right down the street from the Intercontinental, facing the river, is Dunacorso. We ate there twice. Then, up and down Vaci Utca there are little cafes. We had lunch at Cafe' Gerbeaud Bistro one day.

Dear Jan,

Thanks for your posts. We will spend an additional two nights in Budapest after an Avalon cruise. We hava already booked the Parliament and plan to see the opera and tale the night boat ride. We'd love some recommendations for restaurants or cafés. We are staying in the Intercontinental near the Parliament.

Thank you,

Nancy

Im eager to hear about your trip...we take the same one in Sept and I'd love to hear all about it when you get back.

FOR ALL: who have stayed in Budapest...I searched this out and am adding a question about the Millennium Apartments in Budapest. The Sofitel concierge level is almost $1300 for 3 nights, the Marriott concierge level is $1000- the Millennium is a block off the main drag and is less than $500 and includes a modest breakfast, I'm having a tough time justifying that much money for a view. Has anyone stayed at Millennium? The TA reviews are good, but should I be aware of any negatives?

We stayed at the Marriott Millenium Executive Apartments and LOVED it. Very nice rooms, spacious, and affordbale. The location is also excellent. They don't have many of the extras others may have. Wi-fi is extra, breakfast is extra, etc. but we didn't use any of those things so we were very pleased. For a group of four in a two bedroom two bath apartment, the cost is likely what we would have paid for one room at another hotel. I highly recommend it.

Thanks for your Budapest reviews and the recommendation about the evening Legenda Boat. We will be there in early September after our Viking Cruise. I see they offer a dinner menu option...did you eat on board, and if so, was it good? Has anyone else on this thread paid for the meal package?

How many people fit on the boat would you say? Since we will have just spent the week on a river boat, not sure my husband will want to do more LOL

Margo

We used Andras Novak at contact@mypersonalbudapest.com. If you go to their website (mypersonalbudapest.com) you'll see the various options for tours. We chose the morning tour of the highlights in the Trabant which was outstanding. Bolesz, the Trabant driver, was able to hold the car while Andras took us into places...very time saving. We followed that with the "Lunch with a Local Family" which was wonderful. Agnes runs her own cooking school, so the lunch was delightful and fun to meet locals. The next day we went to Lake Balaton to see the countryside. This tour was not to be missed...it got us away from the city, saw some beautiful country and ended with a marvelous wine tasting at a small winery. EXCELLENT! I highly recommend those two days. Andras was wonderful...felt like my son taking me around his college town ;-)

We stayed at the Budapest Marriott with points, but upgraded when we were allowed to for 50 euros per night to the Club Floor which had been recommended and we now do too. It gave us an AMAZING view from a terrace for breakfast and a light dinner (we did it all the time we were there...had our big meal at lunch.) The food was delicious, wine, beer, soft drinks, coffees, etc. Breakfast was scrambled eggs, fruit, pastries, toast, etc. We had plenty...but sitting on the terrace (high up) just watching the ships go by, the lights come on, etc. was so relaxing after a busy day. Totally worth it...oh, and you get free HIGH SPEED wifi with it.

THe Marriott was right on the Danube, just a short walk to the main areas. We took Rick Steve's recommendations for the "Legenda boat" to do a night tour on the river (mention Rick's name and you get a small discount). The boat was right below us on the river.

ENJOY!

We had the most fantastic meal of the entire trip at a charming little restaurant - BorlaBor, right in the heart of Pest, Delicious local cuisine and wine. We requested a wine pairing for our group of 12, and from start to finish everything was amazing. Service is top-notch and prices are reasonable. I can't recommend the restaurant highly enough.