Almaplena v Nohoch kay

Honeytea31

Need help!!!!

I need help deciding on what beach to hangout for my trip to Costa Maya.

Me and DH anniversary. Looking for a nice place to hangout.

Unable to book at MAYA CHAN sold out.:(

Please Someone Help me pick!!

:confused:........ I have only have 13 days until sail:D

Check in Mitsugirly's review here

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1755846&page=10

starting at post #190 for Almaplena....

Great pictures and in depth review.

And her review of Nohoch Kay here

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1851647&page=19

starting at post #372

Personally I would do Almaplena after reading and seeing her reviews...

Not even a close call.

Bill

Also check out the sticky on Beach Clubs at the top of this board.

You'll note that Almapena is NOT on the malecon and is further south of Maya Chan, as I recall.

You may also wish to review some of the reviews on Almapena, to get an overview of pros and cons.

Personally, DW and I like Nohoch Kay, but we're biased;)

Personally, DW and I like Nohoch Kay, but we're biased;)

I love Nohoch Kay too - it's my happy place. The overwhelming majority of people love Nohoch Kay, as you'll find if you do a search for reviews of the place. Trip Advisor is how I found it initially, but there are other websites you can check out too. My best advice is to do a search of reviews for both places and see which one sounds more like what you are looking for.

:DOMG!!!!! Almaplean look so beautiful. Just finish reading the review from Mitsugirly.

And it is the same distance from the pier as Maya Chan is, just 20 minute ride in the opposite direction.

Don't think you can go wrong with either place.

More of a decision if you want the more private beach experience at Almaplena, with nicer water or the shorter ride to the Maleceon with all the beach clubs side by side....

No matter which, you are spending a day on a beach in Mexico...:D

Its all good.

Bill

Edited by bguppies

Ok ..I did it!! I book Almaplena. Me and DH decided tonite this will be the place for us.:p

You are going to have a great time at Almaplena. The place is just absolutely gorgeous! The water is beautiful and so is the beach. The family that owns it is really nice too (their English language was a little broken, but it didn't stop us from talking to the them and having a blast. They actually remember me from when we were there and they had just had a new baby.) :)

Make sure you come back with your thoughts on the place. Most people recommend Nohoch (or Maya Chan) because they have never went to Almaplena before and can't comment on it. It's still this little secret in Costa Maya that not many have discovered yet. :D

We're booked for Almaplena at the end of February. Can't wait! It looks beautiful and quiet, which is much more appealing to me than a bunch of beach clubs in a row.

The owners have been very accommodating so far, I requested Italian food rather than Mexican and they were happy to comply. Going to book a massage as well soon.

February is sooo far away!

We're booked for Almaplena at the end of February. Can't wait! It looks beautiful and quiet, which is much more appealing to me than a bunch of beach clubs in a row.

The owners have been very accommodating so far, I requested Italian food rather than Mexican and they were happy to comply. Going to book a massage as well soon.

February is sooo far away!

Aww how nice of them. Have a wonderful time and don't forget to come back and let us know how things went. :)

Well.... I thank you Mitsgirly. It was your review that help me and DH pick Almaplena. I am from Long Beach, CA. I see brownish water all the time and sea- grass. We was Looking for a place that will be unforgettable. After reviewing your post and picture I knew this is where I want to spend my day. :D:D:D Thank You!!!!

Well.... I thank you Mitsgirly. It was your review that help me and DH pick Almaplena. I am from Long Beach, CA. I see brownish water all the time and sea- grass. We was Looking for a place that will be unforgettable. After reviewing your post and picture I knew this is where I want to spend my day. :D:D:D Thank You!!!!

Yea, it's definitely different than most of the places you find people on here going to...along the malecon or Maya Chan. Maya Chan was super nice and the people there were amazing and I love them, but the water, not so amazing. I just knew there had to be a place somewhere there in Costa Maya were the water was beautiful. I'm so happy I found that place. I just wonder how many other places are there around that area that people have yet to discover. :confused: Some day, I will find more. hehe :p

• 3 weeks later...

We booked through Island Marketing for the Costa Maya Beach Break All Inclusive to Nohoch Kay (14 of us)

The cab ride was $2 pp and a short ride from the port. We had a fantastic time there!! The staff was amazing!! The beach was beautiful. The food was delicious!!!! My only regret is that we didn't get to spend more time there!! Absolultely worth the $$ in my opinion!!

mitsugirly I know you like Sapphire on STT, we're considering a cruise that includes a short stop in Costa Maya (7 - 2 or so:rolleyes:). It looks like enjoying a beach is a good option for this port and Almaplena sounds perfect. How does that beach compare to others you've been to? Any spots we'll want to hit after?

Thanks!

mitsugirly I know you like Sapphire on STT, we're considering a cruise that includes a short stop in Costa Maya (7 - 2 or so:rolleyes:). It looks like enjoying a beach is a good option for this port and Almaplena sounds perfect. How does that beach compare to others you've been to? Any spots we'll want to hit after?

Thanks!

7-2pm tells me you are coming in on Carnival ;). I love Almaplena, but I'm not sure if you'll find it worth it to go that far if you are only in port from 7-2pm. It's a 20 minute drive from the port AFTER you get to the cab stop, which is outside the port and down the road. Then you have to factor in the time coming back and the time they want you back on the ship. Almaplena is definitely my favorite spot there, I just don't want to steer you there if it's not going to be worth it. Even Maya Chan is a little bit of a drive.

"Most" people coming in on Carnival during the 7-2pm usually just head to the Malecon for a quick day. It's only 5 minutes away from the port. However, it's not the beautiful Caribbean water you are probably looking for. :( It wasn't my favorite place to go (since you know what I'm always looking for...Paradise), but it was just a relaxing day to chill. Nohoch Kay in my signature line is where we went the day we were there. It will give you an idea of what this area looks like. It's just a beach, with a huge walk way all the way down it between the beach and the restaurants that line it.

7-2pm tells me you are coming in on Carnival ;). I love Almaplena, but I'm not sure if you'll find it worth it to go that far if you are only in port from 7-2pm. It's a 20 minute drive from the port AFTER you get to the cab stop, which is outside the port and down the road. Then you have to factor in the time coming back and the time they want you back on the ship. Almaplena is definitely my favorite spot there, I just don't want to steer you there if it's not going to be worth it. Even Maya Chan is a little bit of a drive.

"Most" people coming in on Carnival during the 7-2pm usually just head to the Malecon for a quick day. It's only 5 minutes away from the port. However, it's not the beautiful Caribbean water you are probably looking for. :( It wasn't my favorite place to go (since you know what I'm always looking for...Paradise), but it was just a relaxing day to chill. Nohoch Kay in my signature line is where we went the day we were there. It will give you an idea of what this area looks like. It's just a beach, with a huge walk way all the way down it between the beach and the restaurants that line it.

Yes such a short day, but it didn't look like there was a lot to see and do as compared to other stops so a beach day works if the weather cooperates. And yes we would stay closer to port because of the limited time and I'll look at your report on NK.

Thanks for your help! :)

I'm so happy to hear that it still so great. We were there last year and I have booked for this January already as they fill up fast..

Its starting to get cold here and I'm already dreaming of laying on the beach drinking margaritas and eating those amazing fish tacos!!!!!

How crowded is it there? And is the beach and water that nice? We're in port just a short time and this is probably our destination. Sounds great, just don't want to find ourselves in a jam packed party spot!

Thanks!

They limit their capacity to 40 people per day, so no chance of being crowded. They also don't have music playing overhead, so it will definitely appeal more to someone looking for a quieter spot. The service is fantastic, and the whole staff could not be nicer. I love Nohoch Kay - it's my happy place!

Here's a map of the port area and outside the port area. The taxi cab stop is there at the top on the right hand side where you see the #7. That's where you'll have to go to catch a cab to Almaplena.

bigmap-L.jpg

Thanks for posting this..just copied it to my desk top. Makes me feel much more comfortable about where we need to get to to catch our cab for Almaplena.

We booked there because of your review as well. Going January and really looking ff to it.

Perfect spot for Rob (DH) and I as it is only 20 people max (we don't like the big crowds), clear water and good snorkeling for me, Sandy bottom for Rob to puddle. Food looks great and when I emailed about it, they were excellent. Very professional..and accomadating.

I booked a massage, but don't want to be on the beach for it so she is going to find a more private spot, and she is going to have a cake for DH birthday.

Definately a little known spot, and a hard sell for a lot of people.

I will for sure post pics (if I can figure out how) and doa review here when I get back...I am sure it will be lovely. Peaceful and quiet.

It is our last stop and we will be running morning to night for almost 2 weeks by then (1 week in New Orleans then the cruise) with very full days, so this one is our relax and un wind and do nothing but swim and lounge and eat day.

Ok ..I did it!! I book Almaplena. Me and DH decided tonite this will be the place for us.:p

WOO HOO!! is'nt it great to find a spot you know is going to be perfect for you!

Did you ask them to have an anniversary cake for you?

If not email and make the request and they will do it!

We are celebrating DH birthday on our Cruise in Jan and spending our Costa Maya day at Almaplena ...also thanks to M's review!

I asked if it was possible to have a birthday cake for DH and she said absolutly!

Another perk of the more intimate places...much more personalized. :)