Oosterdam stuck in Seattle overnight due to storm

Milvain

Just after the muster drill the captain announced we were staying in Seattle dockside tonight due to severe low pressure system causing high wind (60mph) and waves 30 ft.

We'll know more tomorrow between 9-10 about the new sail away time.

I just saw coverage about that storm on our local weather.

It sounds awful.

Stay safe everyone.

Oosterdam was to be in LA on Tuesday. If she leaves mid day tomorrow, can she still arrive in LA by Tuesday morning?

We are on the Hood canal in Washington and it has started here- if this is the beginning this is going to be a bad one. Wind howling- raining sideways just hoping power stays on and trees stay upright.

No way in Hell I'd want to be sailing out of the Strait of Juan De Fuca tonight.

We are north of Seattle about halfway to the Canadian border and it's been blustery here all day but it hasn't been raining. We were supposed to go to BC to see my parents for the afternoon but they called at noon and my dad insisted we stay home. They are supposed to get winds in excess of 100kmh (60 mph). The ferries between Tsawassen and Schwartz Bay are shut down. The Westerdam is staying in port at Vancouver and I'm guessing the Statendam will as well. Norwegian Pearl did leave Ballantyne Pier for her next port.

Batten down the hatches!

Karen

Statendam was up around Glacier Bay when the storm hit. Capt. Albert skipped one day of his blog, with apologies, because of the bad weather. I think he spent the night on the bridge.

Haven't heard from her today.

Others may have more recent news.

we were due into LA on Wed... I guess if we leave 10 am tomorrow we might make it to LA late Wed night instead of 8 am...

Sorry.... I lost a day.

I was thinking of someone who is flying to LA to meet the ship and they fly the day before, thus I was thinking Tuesday. :)

Wow. We just got back home to Seattle yesterday from the Westerdam's last trip to Alaska for 2013. We had a fantastic trip! I'm glad to be safe at home and not on the water. Glad Oosterdam is staying here--lots of wind and rain! The news is saying hurricane-grade wind gusts over on the coast. :eek:

btw, I always wonder what Capt. Dreper does when the Oosterdam is in port. (He lives here.) :)

I'm going to check my flashlight batteries and candle supplies, and hoard some water!

Charge your cell phone too.

Find your "crank" (non-electric) can opener.

And hoard WAY more water than you would think you would need -- when we had our flood this summer, I was SHOCKED at the amount of water we went through each day, even being VERY conservative :eek:

Just after the muster drill the captain announced we were staying in Seattle dockside tonight due to severe low pressure system causing high wind (60mph) and waves 30 ft.

We'll know more tomorrow between 9-10 about the new sail away time.

So did they raise the gangway or are they still allowing people on and off? ( though it would be hard to believe someone would want to go ashore with those conditions....

When Maasdam hurried back to Boston on our Canada/NE cruise two or three seasons ago, the ship was tied up in Boston from Thursday afternoon on to ride out what was a very dangerous hurricane. Saturday was to have been end of cruise day but we missed three ports and during the time it was to be tied up for the storm, the gangway would be pulled. Captain was going to put it in place for certain specified time and after that there would be no leaving or boarding the ship until the storm passed.

As it turned out, the storm changed direction and never hit Boston. However, it was a decision made for safety and had the storm hit, it could have been very bad.

So did they raise the gangway or are they still allowing people on and off? ( though it would be hard to believe someone would want to go ashore with those conditions....

We live about a mile from the pier, and it's only lightly raining here for now. We did have nasty wind this afternoon, though.

Statendam sitting out the storm in Vancouver...I think the Westerdam is on the other side of Canada Place......

http://www.visioncritical.com/the-view-from-here

Actually that is the Westerdam you are looking at in your web cam shot. The Statendam is on the other side and you can only see it from the North Vancouver webcam.

According to another thread

Westerdam has just announced that they are staying overnight in Vancouver. They wil leave tommorow the passengers and crew are confined to the ship as us customs said no to shore leave. The captain also mentioned oosterdam was stuck in Seattle overnight aswell

We are half way between Seattle and the Canadian border. We have the wind but no rain so far. The wind is definitely increasing though.

Karen

Seas given as significant wave height...which is the average

height of the highest 1/3 of the waves. Individual waves may be

more than twice the significant wave height.

Pzz081-301015-

cape flattery to cape lookout-

304 pm pdt sun sep 29 2013

storm warning

tonight

w to sw winds 40 to 50 kt...becoming w to nw 45 to 60

kt in the evening...then becoming w and diminishing to 30 to 40

kt after midnight. Seas 18 to 30 ft. Rain and chance of tstms

with vsby 1 nm or less.

Archived