p&o drinks expensive!

caziann

We have just returned off ventura, we found in a few of the bars they don't have beer and lager on draught. My hubby likes a pint of lager and they only sold bottles, two of which make a pint, worked out £7.20 for one pint, we thought this was really expensive!

In relation to most other lines P&O seem to me to be very competitively priced although I don't drink beer, but enjoy cocktails and wine. On most other lines their is a gratuity of anything between 15-18% added to all alcoholic drinks. Inconvenient I know, but you could always buy your beer in one bar and move to another for the entertainment?

Edited by Host Sharon

We have just returned off ventura, we found in a few of the bars they don't have beer and lager on draught. My hubby likes a pint of lager and they only sold bottles, two of which make a pint, worked out £7.20 for one pint, we thought this was really expensive!

This has always been the case. If you only drink pints then that will determine the bars you use. The price of the bottles is the same as in pubs at home. In fact they seem fairly consistent in Europe and N America. £3.00 to £4.00 a bottle.

If you want a pint they will sometimes go to another bar to get you one. But not if they are busy.

Gan Canny

Dai

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I think £3.50-£4.00 for a bottle of beer very good, no matter where you are.

I also agree with others in that P & O prices are really good compared to others. We've been on Royal Caribbean and you had 15% on top of that with every purchase. We learnt from that.

I also found on P & O prices for bottles of wines and Prosecco were excellent. You also had the duty free shop and you could drink your own purchases which was fantastic as we've never been allowed to do that on any other ship.

Yeh, all in all well impressed with their bar prices...

P&O's prices for spirits are quite low, but from the most recent bar menu I saw they give you only 25 ml, which is .8 of an ounce. That barely wets the bottom of the glass. On my earlier cruises a standard measure was "one-fifth of a gill" which I believe to be a full ounce. Cunard charges about US$5.75 for a G&T, but it is 1.5 ounces of gin, so basically a P&O double.

Unfortunately for British drinkers, 25ml is the standard measure in most British pubs so we are used to that measure, however I still think Pand O have some of the cheapest drinks afloat, Dennis

Edited by dthompsond1

Comparison with other lines prices isn't an exact science, exchange rate is one issue, size of spirit measures another.

On our recent Celebrity trip a bottle of beer started at £3.50, both 330 ml and 500/568ml in some beers, but some were as much as £7.

Spirits were more on face value, but the measures are huge, no measuring, just a five second pour through a pourer, which is about a third of a highball glass for £4.60 for a G&T. One is enough before dinner!

Similarly a martini cocktail was about £7, but the spirit measures filled the glass.

Wine in the restaurant started at about £20, but you could get the buffet wines served at your table and they were much cheaper. Half a bottle in a carafe about £6.

• 2 weeks later...
We find P & O drink prices very very reasonable. They also don't charge the 15% service charge on drinks which most other lines do.

RCCL 750ml can Fosters works out at £5

P&O 330ml £3.50

so P&O almost triple the price

if P&O were to sell lagers in the normal sized 500ml cans it would be much better

or get rid of Stella Yuck lol

Don't forget on P&O UK, you can bring on your own beer at embarkation and ports, that would reduce your booze bill.

Only if you drank it in your cabin or on your balcony.

I remenber comments about passengers sneaking alchohol into the bars and theatres. If you did that in your local pub they would show you the door!.

P&O spirit prices are not very good compared with another british 'budget' line. For example a G&T on P&O is 25ml measure for the gin and you pay for the tonic. Thomson is? 40ml measure and free mixer for the same brands for a similar price. Plus on Thomson if you book early you can get a free drinks package including popular brands of spirits.

I think you are comparing apples to pears. They are two different experiences.

One Bombay Sapphire and tonic tastes pretty much like the next one to me ;)

ps - we are talking about P&O drinks prices, not whether you consider another cruise line more chavvy.

As the saying goes. Give Thomson modern ships and they would have a world beating product.