msc questions

sprint180

I am considering going on the MSC Poesia in Northern Europe. I have read a fair amount of comments about her. A lot negative and some positive.

Here is some back ground. Going would be 5 children ages 16-25 and me (45) We have been on Carnival and Princess. I loved them both. My questions are,

I have heard you pay for a lot that you don't on other lines. What does that mean?

Do they have the same entertainment that the other lines have...shows, trivia, etc.

What lines does MSC compare to?

Thank you in advance. Any help is appreciated.

The only truly unique MSC expenditure I could think of is the UNICEF "donation", about 1 Euro per person. :D

Well, most complaints are about having to pay for water during dinner. But if you book through a North American agent, you get a bottle of water per cabin per night anyway.

Others may include paid for gelato (you do get free version during meals), use of certain entertainment equipment (such as mini bowling), "recommended" daily service charge (some claims are difficult to remove), use of internet onboard, specialty restaurant and charge on room service (outside allocated breakfast time).

To me, it's not unusual, as some other cruiselines also charge for most, if not all of, the above items. I even know a cruiseline that charges for use of kids club...

If you are going with 5 children, you may need to seriously consider the various drink packages available, or else, the bills will add up quickly.

Also do beware that MSC is introducing new cruise schemes, and for the most basic fare in future, some of the "freebies" could become chargeable items (eg. breakfast room service).

The night time shows include theatre and live music performances at the lounges. Theatre is mostly mini broadway, MJ lookalike, opera, magic or hand shadow etc. But no ice skating or talk show.

Though they're advertised in the daily, but I personally never joined any trivia or bingo session on MSC.

Some consider Costa as MSC comparable (in terms of their Italian lineage), but I personally think MSC is better, to me Costa is the Italian Carnival.

Archived