SERIOUS Tuxedo Question.....

ozarkseyeguy

Going on Westerdam East. Car. out of FLL on Nov. 2nd with the DW, 14 y/o son, and 10 y/o daughter. It's our 1st HAL cruise. My kids both celebrate birthdays on the cruise, which just so happen to correspond with our at sea days, which I assume will be our formal nights, pretty neat, huh?

My dilemma: My DW REALLY wants me to wear a tuxedo on formal nts. I don't own one, will have to buy or rent, obviously. My son on the other hand does own one. He is a violinist and plays in a string quintet (they do weddings, banquets, corporate events, etc.-he's good). My DS is indifferent to wearing his tuxedo, he will or will wear his suit or a sport coat, makes no difference to him. I have no problem with dressing up, I kind of like it. But I do not want to stick out like a sore thumb. If there are a number of men on the ship wearing tuxedos I would not have a problem doing so. But like I said, if we are two of the 20 or so on ship that are wearing them, I will not be thrilled.

So my question is, how many will be wearing tuxedos on formal nights? Will we really be in the minority if we do? I'm trying to get a feel for my odds of looking out of place. I do realize it would not be the death of me if I did wear one, and my DW may just put the squeeze on to where I feel I have no choice, but I would like to make an informed decision. I can think of other places for my $$ to go than a tuxedo if there won't be many on the ship. Let me know what you think. Do I wear one and keep the peace or take a stand?

*****Honestly, I am not really to worked up over this, if this is the worst issue I face this year, I am doing OK. Just wanted to know everyone's thoughts*****

The percentage of tuxes seems to be steadily dropping, but on a 7-day Carib cruise I would expect to see maybe 25% to 30%, with a little more at Main dining (8:00p). I think it would make for a more memorable cruise if you wore tuxedos. I would keep the peace with DW and rent one. :)

The percentage of tuxes seems to be steadily dropping, but I would expect to see maybe 25% to 30%, with a little more at Main dining (8:00p). I think it would make for a more memorable cruise if you wore tuxedos. :)

I agree with Jtl's percentage estimates. That is about what we have seen on our recent cruises and maybe a smidge fewer. DH wore his tuxedo every formal night for 20+ years of HAL cruising but no longer brings it. He started to be amoung the increasingly fewer gents wearing one and we are always 8:00 Main Traditional Dining.

However, your family will look fantastic, sounds like your DW :) will be happy and you'll have the opportunity for lovely family photos. That is worth it IMO :)

Going on Westerdam East. Car. out of FLL on Nov. 2nd with the DW, 14 y/o son, and 10 y/o daughter. It's our 1st HAL cruise. My kids both celebrate birthdays on the cruise, which just so happen to correspond with our at sea days, which I assume will be our formal nights, pretty neat, huh?

My dilemma: My DW REALLY wants me to wear a tuxedo on formal nts. I don't own one, will have to buy or rent, obviously. My son on the other hand does own one. He is a violinist and plays in a string quintet (they do weddings, banquets, corporate events, etc.-he's good). My DS is indifferent to wearing his tuxedo, he will or will wear his suit or a sport coat, makes no difference to him. I have no problem with dressing up, I kind of like it. But I do not want to stick out like a sore thumb. If there are a number of men on the ship wearing tuxedos I would not have a problem doing so. But like I said, if we are two of the 20 or so on ship that are wearing them, I will not be thrilled.

So my question is, how many will be wearing tuxedos on formal nights? Will we really be in the minority if we do? I'm trying to get a feel for my odds of looking out of place. I do realize it would not be the death of me if I did wear one, and my DW may just put the squeeze on to where I feel I have no choice, but I would like to make an informed decision. I can think of other places for my $$ to go than a tuxedo if there won't be many on the ship. Let me know what you think. Do I wear one and keep the peace or take a stand?

*****Honestly, I am not really to worked up over this, if this is the worst issue I face this year, I am doing OK. Just wanted to know everyone's thoughts*****

1. The % of men actually wearing has been going down over the years. For a 7 day Caribbean cruise I'd estimate the % is lower than the earlier poster's estimate. I'd say (for formal nights):

Overall the % of men wearing a tux will be no more than 20%; however, a very high % of the men will wear what I would call a nice "business suit". Also keep in mind the % will probably be slightly lower for early seating than the main seating. The earlier seating will get more families with kids. Overall the number of men wearing a tux will be a lot more than 20. Suit or tux, you won't stick out like a sore thumb either way.

2. It's your call, you can figure out how much a tux costs and how serious your DW is on the issue. Do what you think is in your (and your family's) best interest and don't worry what any other passengers think, it's your vacation.

The percentage of tuxes seems to be steadily dropping, but on a 7-day Carib cruise I would expect to see maybe 25% to 30%, with a little more at Main dining (8:00p). I think it would make for a more memorable cruise if you wore tuxedos. I would keep the peace with DW and rent one. :)

I agree the percentage of tuxes are about 20% & also agree there are more men in a Tux at the late seating (8:p.m.) especially on the longer cruises..

My DH has always taken his Tux, however on our next Caribbean cruise on the Ryndam in Nov. not sure what he plans to do..When we went to Bermuda several years ago not many Men were in a TUX..DH has a dark suit but it constantly wrinkles while his Tux does not wrinkle..I enjoy seeing him in a TUX.

IMO you should definitely rent a TUX & not purchase a one until you sail on HAL at least once..Then you can decide if you wish to purchase one after your first cruise..

Also agree keep your DW happy..Your whole family will look wonderful if your children are in Formal wear too..It will make a lovely family portrait..Hope you enjoy your cruise on HAL..

Betty

If you decide to wear one, prepare not to be thrilled. On formal nights there will be more women in sweat suits on HAL than men wearing tuxes. If you were on Silversea, Residensea, etc. a tux is almost required.

Gary

Your family will look great with you and your son in tux and the two ladies all dressed up! The opportunity for a wonderful family photo that you will treasure. Kids grow up so fast - capture this moment.

And have a fun cruise, not worrying what anyone else is doing.

Absolutely nobody here can predict how many will be wearing tuxs, because every cruise is different. As a trend, the longer the cruise, the more tuxs.

I can absolutely guarantee you won't stand out. Go and have fun.

By the way, own a tux, and wear it regularly on cruises. And I am a 4 star Mariner with over 200 days on HAL.

If you decide to wear one, prepare not to be thrilled. On formal nights there will be more women in sweat suits on HAL than men wearing tuxes. If you were on Silversea, Residensea, etc. a tux is almost required.

Gary

Seriously? Sweat suits? Got to ask how many HAL cruises you have been on, particularly 10 days or better.

If you decide to wear one, prepare not to be thrilled. On formal nights there will be more women in sweat suits on HAL than men wearing tuxes. If you were on Silversea, Residensea, etc. a tux is almost required. Gary

Can you tell us on which ships and what itinerary. Thanks. I ask because I have never seen a women in a sweat suit on formal night.

Thanks so much for the input. Sounds like maybe 20% give or take wear tuxedos, I can live with that. It will also make my wife a little happier with me. Unless maybe I can get her just to wear one of those sweat suits.:D

My DH will be the last man to give up his tux. Don't worry about what others think ... they will think "there's a nice family all dressed up, how nice."

So you may stand out - because you and the family will look great! :D

I say go for the tux and look great! My DH lost a lot of weight and had to get an entirely new wardrobe. For our daughter's wedding the men rented very nice tuxes and they all looked fabulous but there was no way DH was going to buy one for cruises. So we opted for a nice black on black fine wool suit. We vary the shirts, ties, and pocket squares to coordinate with what I am wearing. We always chose open seating dining and on formal nights the men's dress ranges from tuxes and suits down to sport coats. But what varies more is the ladies' attire!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

We did 20 days on the Westerdam this past spring and there were very few men wearing tuxedos. We have done long cruises before on this ship and there used to be quite a few men dressed in tuxedos and white dinner jackets.

My DH did wear his, but when we got home, he put it in the back of his closet. He said that he felt out of place.

But only you can decide if you all want to dress up considering the children will be celebrating birthdays.

Gary

I have never seen a woman in a sweatsuit in the dining room on a formal night on a HAL ship and we always do the formal dining nights.

Gary

I have to disagree with this statement. I actually haven't seen any sweat suits on any night.

I've seen you do this a lot lately. Is it intentional, or do you not realize that colon-p gives you :p ? :)

I do not do it purposely..It just happens & don't know how to stop it..if I put a number "00" such as 8:15 p,m. after the colon does it still happen..

8:00 p.m.

Never mind guess I must remember to put the "00" after it..

P.S. Test: 8:00 p.m.

Thanks..Betty

Hmmm..does that little funny face mean something?

Archived