Flash sales?

SparklingBlonde

I sometimes see people mention "flash sales". Could someone elaborate on this please? Are these through HAL? Are they via e-mail or through a website? Are these through your travel agent? How long do they last? Any information is appreciated. I typically get 1-3 e-mails a week from HAL, but am not sure if these are considered FLASH SALES or if I am missing out on something. Thank you in advance!!!!

Sorry if any find this annoying, but I am really trying to help OP. I noticed that the entire link did not transfer to my reply. It matched what people found on google which opened to a blank page. My bookmarked link opens to a page on the HAL website. I am going to type the link, not just copy and paste it.

http://www.hollandamerica.com/find-cruise-vacation/FlashOffers.action?destCode=&specialOfferType-Flash&specialOfferCode=

This is all one line.

I sometimes see people mention "flash sales". Could someone elaborate on this please? Are these through HAL?

To answer your question FLASH SALES are reduced fares that HAL initiates to fill ships. Normally they need to be paid full in full at the time of booking and they are non refundable (unless you buy insurance), I have seen them offered on HALS website when browsing particular cruises.. not so much on other sites although TA's should have access to these booking codes as well.

If you are sure you are going on a cruise... they can save you hundreds/thousands of dollars depending on Itinerary.

OP, I am going to try one more time. Sorry everyone else. I am typing what exists in the link between hollandamerica.com and the rest of the link

http://hollandamerica.com

Here is the rest of the link.

/find-cruise-vacation/FlashOffers.action?destCode=&specialOfferType=Flash&specialOfferCode=

If this does not work - I give up!

Perhaps none are currently offered.
I think that's the answer, although that would be a rare thing.

I noticed that the entire link did not transfer to my reply.
That doesn't matter. The ... means that part of it isn't showing. It is going to the right page, but it is not functioning right now.

Pschweig- I really appreciate all of the help. The link you typed took me to a Hal page with nearly nothing on it. The copy and pasted one always takes me to their flash sale page, but no cruises to choose from and nothing in the 3 drop down boxes. Is you page showing cruises and options in the boxes?

Sparkling Blonde from Brainy Blonde,

We have been burned by "Flash Sales" twice, and I think we are less likely to believe the hype next time. Specifically, a flash sale on a Eurodam Baltic cruise made us pull the trigger before the Sunday evening deadline. The very next day HAL REDUCED PERMANENTLY the fares, including our verandah guarantee to below their super duper flash sale weekend prices. I managed to get an upgrade, no OBC, when I complained to HAL that their advertising was misleading.

On our current cruise booked took I took the bait again. I booked in late July for an October TA on the Noordam. Since then the fares have been reduced considerably on a permanent basis. I thought the flash sale was a sale for that weekend, not a lead in to permanent pice reductions down the road.

I understand that ships must be filled, and I sincerely hope that the crew gets the Hotel Service charges from a full ship. I understand it is supply and demand, hotel rooms unfilled, and that HAL runs a business. Personally, though, I can be an informed consumer and perhaps see a "flash sale" as a means to book cruisers before HAL looks at reducing prices permanently.

Just my experience......

Sparkling Blonde from Brainy Blonde,

We have been burned by "Flash Sales" twice, and I think we are less likely to believe the hype next time. Specifically, a flash sale on a Eurodam Baltic cruise made us pull the trigger before the Sunday evening deadline. The very next day HAL REDUCED PERMANENTLY the fares, including our verandah guarantee to below their super duper flash sale weekend prices. I managed to get an upgrade, no OBC, when I complained to HAL that their advertising was misleading.

On our current cruise booked took I took the bait again. I booked in late July for an October TA on the Noordam. Since then the fares have been reduced considerably on a permanent basis. I thought the flash sale was a sale for that weekend, not a lead in to permanent pice reductions down the road.

I understand that ships must be filled, and I sincerely hope that the crew gets the Hotel Service charges from a full ship. I understand it is supply and demand, hotel rooms unfilled, and that HAL runs a business. Personally, though, I can be an informed consumer and perhaps see a "flash sale" as a means to book cruisers before HAL looks at reducing prices permanently.

Just my experience......

I would think the only reason HAL (or any company for that matter) puts up a flash sale is because the cruise is not selling all that well. Kind of a no-brainer that if the flash sale doesn't fill the empty cabins, a further reduction is on the way.

If you are willing to take the chance of no cabin, or the least desirable cabin that's left over, just wait till after the final payment date.

Thanks for the link. It worked fine for me I will keep checking it. I am a four star Mariner and don't get any e-mails from HAL. I usually have a cruise booked (cruise about every 18 months) but would still like a chance at an occasional spur of the moment cruise.

And yes, I frequently tell them what length and destinations interest me when that annoying pop-up page appears if I visit the HAL website.

HAL did wish me a Happy Birthday earlier this month so they do know I exist and know how to find me.

Brainyblonde- now that their site is working again I have to say I don't think the flash sales seem any different than the prices they already show for the cruises. I guess I expected something different. We are trying something new this year - we bought our flights and booked our hotel planning on going on a specific cruise and we have just been waiting for the price to drop. It's past the final payment date so their has been quite a bit of movement, but I just don't know when to pull the trigger. I'm thinking it is going to be soon but I am afraid the day after I book it will drop again. I've already waited this long....

Archived