Travel tip for carry on luggage

Jean1946

In June we went on the Eurodam on a Baltic cruise. When we were checking in at the Airport in Copenhagan, we checked on checking our carry on luggage and were told it would be $100, we said no, then the agent said $80, $50, so we declined. Then she said, oh, I can check both of them for free because the plane is full and you'd have to leave them at the gate anyway. So, it would not hurt to ask if your flight is full, especially if you have a long layover for a flight.

Since I rambled so, the tip is to check with the agent and see if they can add your carryon for free if the flight is full.

I would never check my carry-on. The reason many things in our carry-on bag(s) are in there to begin with is because they are indispensable and we will take no chance on having them lost or delayed, especially medications. I've never heard of having to leave a carry-on at the gate because the plane is full, but ours are always of reasonable size and more of the tote bag variety rather than real luggage. Don't get me started on people who carry on bags that are almost impossible to put in the overheads.

I don't want to check carry on luggage either. All that's it are valuables and medications. I would never pack those in a suitcase as those items stay with me at all times. Glad it worked out for you though:D

I have had to check my carry-on as it was too big (and it's regulation size) for that plane's overhead bin. I completely forgot some of my jewellry was in it. Luckily it was still there when I retrieved it in Santiago, Chile. I also hate to check it as my regular checked suitcase has gotten progressively more damaged each time I fly. It's only a few years old, but now I have to put tape around the rips that have occurred on the back from different trips. There are also many stains on it which I assume have come from items leaking out of other people's luggage, as nothing has spilled in mine.

In June we went on the Eurodam on a Baltic cruise. When we were checking in at the Airport in Copenhagan, we checked on checking our carry on luggage and were told it would be $100, we said no, then the agent said $80, $50, so we declined. Then she said, oh, I can check both of them for free because the plane is full and you'd have to leave them at the gate anyway. So, it would not hurt to ask if your flight is full, especially if you have a long layover for a flight.

Since I rambled so, the tip is to check with the agent and see if they can add your carryon for free if the flight is full.

What airline was this?

Mine never leaves my sight, maybe something to do with the thousans of dollars in camera gear, but I am afraid to let go of it. Even had a longgggg 'discussion' with a flight attendant in Quebec City who wasn't going to let me carry it on an Air Canada dash-8, in the end it came with me in the cabin!

We fly mostly Delta and Southwest and I've seen people forced to check their carry-on bag because other passengers who boarded ahead of them brought large bags (and no one stopped them!).

The attendant gave them time to remove their medications and valuables from their bags.

These were not happy exchanges. But the only other option was not flying.

So I carry our meds in my under the seat bag.

We fly mostly Delta and Southwest and I've seen people forced to check their carry-on bag because other passengers who boarded ahead of them brought large bags (and no one stopped them!).

It always amazes me when I see this happen. Last flight a man took on a bag that was at least 24-25" and nobody said anything. On international flights I see many people with 3 or more carry-ons and again, I have never seen any of these people stopped.

I've been forced to check mine as well because everyone else filled up the overhead bins. I tried to argue one time when they wanted me to check my CPAP machine. I was told to either check it or not fly. It only cost me $379 to have it repaired.

If they had reasonable policies for checked bags and really enforced the carry on rules, there would be no problem. This is a problem the airlines created trying to make us think fares were low, but nickel and diming us every way they can.

Debbie

Hi

I neve never check my carry ons. Not going to have my camera gear stolen or broken. ples all other valuables. This is why will pay a litle more to board the plane early so I make sure someone in the back of plane does not put in the cubby space over my seat.

I was once on a plane and seated. A man walked by with more than two pieces of luggage one very large. He stopped at my row and put the larger piece in the overhead with mine and walked to back of plane. A pax came to my row and there was nor room for her carry one. The flight attended came by and tried to stick it in. She pulled out the large piece and ask us in the area was this ours. Some one said I man in the rear of plane put it there. She made annouchment asking who bag it was. The man said it was his and she mad him come forward and she removed the bag so it would be put in checked luggage. This was a full plane. This did happen a few more times before we took off.

Mary

I would never check my carry-on. The reason many things in our carry-on bag(s) are in there to begin with is because they are indispensable and we will take no chance on having them lost or delayed, especially medications. I've never heard of having to leave a carry-on at the gate because the plane is full, but ours are always of reasonable size and more of the tote bag variety rather than real luggage. Don't get me started on people who carry on bags that are almost impossible to put in the overheads.

Flying back to new York foprm Portland, OR, recently the plane was indeed full and the overhed bins did fill up. They did ask passengers to take bags that would not fit to the front of the plane to get it gate checked - and they reminded peopel to take out things they do not want to leave their sided e.g. medications, before handing it over.

I've been forced to check mine as well because everyone else filled up the overhead bins. I tried to argue one time when they wanted me to check my CPAP machine. I was told to either check it or not fly. It only cost me $379 to have it repaired.

If they had reasonable policies for checked bags and really enforced the carry on rules, there would be no problem. This is a problem the airlines created trying to make us think fares were low, but nickel and diming us every way they can.

Debbie

We don't fly very much so have not run into this, so thanks for the info. However, it is obvious when we do fly how so many passengers abuse the carry on privilege and make it hard for everyone else. It is one of my main gripes about flying! You've got to blame the airlines for allowing it. Why can't every passenger be limited to one reasonably sized (meaning small, not a piece of luggage) carry on piece that is big enough to have to be stored overhead (laptops and purses can be in your seat). Then there would be room for everyone's one carry on in the bins. I hate flying!!!

Edit: Thanks for your experience, too, Peter.

Ditto. If these things weren't essential or very valuable, we wouldn't be carrying them on. We cannot part with them and hope they will still be there when our bag is returned to us.

Our carryons are always at or below regulation size but JUST in Case they demand we check them, I lay an HAL tote across the top of the contents of each carryon. In the event, they want to gate check them, I can quickly remove our medications and jewelry and put in the the tote which will always fit under the seat in front of us. I have sewn velcro across the top of a few HAL totes so know I can close them and contents will remain safe.

It only happened to us once but because we connected from a large jet to a commuter aircraft and they were taking all carryons that did not fit under seat. I was very happy I had those totes quickly available.

Mine never leaves my sight, maybe something to do with the thousans of dollars in camera gear, but I am afraid to let go of it. Even had a longgggg 'discussion' with a flight attendant in Quebec City who wasn't going to let me carry it on an Air Canada dash-8, in the end it came with me in the cabin!

Where did they put it? Mine is smaller then regulation and it would not fit in the overhead bin on that plane. After the fiasco I had in February I didn't want to part with mine either.

We don't fly very much so have not run into this, so thanks for the info. However, it is obvious when we do fly how so many passengers abuse the carry on privilege and make it hard for everyone else. It is one of my main gripes about flying! You've got to blame the airlines for allowing it. Why can't every passenger be limited to one reasonably sized (meaning small, not a piece of luggage) carry on piece that is big enough to have to be stored overhead (laptops and purses can be in your seat). Then there would be room for everyone's one carry on in the bins. I hate flying!!!

Edit: Thanks for your experience, too, Peter.

Air New Zealand weights the carry on luggage at the gate and tags the bags. You are allowed 15 lbs. if you are in Business or other elite classes, the limit is two piece not more than 30 lbs.

It annoys me too that the airlines don't enforce the rules. I purchased a roll-on tote where I can carry medication, cameras and other valuables such as iPad and kindle. It is 8.5 inches high so it fits under the seat. Came in handy recently on a flight from Montreal to Chicago. Overhead bins were so small that the luggage people brought aboard wouldn't fit in the bins and just about everyone was having to check their luggage. I just walked onboard. My rolling tote from travelPro fit right under the seat.

And I am glad there wasn't an emergency on a recent flight. The aisle neighbor couldn't get is large duffle into the overhead bins so he shoved it under the seat most of it blocking the space between his seat and and the seat in front and then covered his lap with his coat so that the stewardess didn't notice that it wasn't fully under the forward seat and was actually blocking the space for my husband and I to exit the row.

Hi

I neve never check my carry ons. Not going to have my camera gear stolen or broken. ples all other valuables. This is why will pay a litle more to board the plane early so I make sure someone in the back of plane does not put in the cubby space over my seat.

I was once on a plane and seated. A man walked by with more than two pieces of luggage one very large. He stopped at my row and put the larger piece in the overhead with mine and walked to back of plane. A pax came to my row and there was nor room for her carry one. The flight attended came by and tried to stick it in. She pulled out the large piece and ask us in the area was this ours. Some one said I man in the rear of plane put it there. She made annouchment asking who bag it was. The man said it was his and she mad him come forward and she removed the bag so it would be put in checked luggage. This was a full plane. This did happen a few more times before we took off.

Mary

There are no reserved spaces in the overhead bins. ;) Yet. I saw something about airlines maybe charging for that.

Technically anyone can really put their luggge anywhere on the plane; some seats don't have much overhead space due to it being used to for airline equipment storage.

We take a rolling carryon that is within carryon size, but now put all "must carry" items in a zipped shoulder carryon bag and insert that bag into the rolling carryon. It takes up about 2/3 of the carryon. We fill the other 1/3 with prefer to carry items that could be gate checked. Why don't we just used the shoulder carryon bag? My shoulders and back don't do well with that. We've been back a week and my shoulder is still bothering me from just having to carry it for one stretch.

Archived