Which island to skip??

akowilm

They are talking about St. John a USVI. St. John's is a village in Antigua. So they are same name but different place.

Village??? St. John's is the capital city of Antigua with a population of over 32,000. I hear that they even have electricity and running water now. :D

You and 2500 other people. Having been to every Caribbean port at least once and some over ten times we use the port days to lounge around the pool

Not a biggie for us. No different spending a sea day with 2500 plus Cruisers on the same ship. Too each their own!

It is similar to the confusion between St. John's, Newfoundland and Saint John, New Brunswick that often occurs on New England - Canada itineraries. :D

Wait- I thought New Brunswick is in Jersey!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I got off to stretch my legs in St. Thomas after a full day on an empty ship. I love Caribbean ports, but I've been to most of them numerous times, so I stay on sometimes. I'm happy that my next cruise has a stop in San Juan. I've been there every year since 2006. Probably will stay on altogether or get off to get some toiletries in CVS!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We stayed on in San Juan last trip, while the rest of the shop apparently went to Senor Frogs????? We had a relaxing restful day with a massage, some mimosas and an afternoon siesta by the pool on one of those huge shaded sunbeds. It was perfect. We have no days away from work except for the day we fly/sail, and the day we return to port and fly home, so a little down time is important. I love the 5 island itinerary for the choices, but I truly don't think I will make every island. Everyone's input has left me completely undecided!!!! Looks like I can rest when I'm dead, lol!!!

I would be careful, wandering around St. Thomas, on my own. Most (but not all) reports of tourists being victimized there occur in areas "off the beaten path". :eek:

Yes, I agree with you that this is true. However, you just have to be attuned at all times as to what is going on around you. We had no idea where we were going, so we asked an elderly couple (out walking their dog) about the safe parts of town. They told us about the synagogue (and it was fascinating) and from there we met some other ex-pats who told us about the neighborhood with all the art studios.

Sometimes i think we as tourists miss out on the most enriching experiences out of fear. It is smart to be cautious, yes. On the other hand, being overly careful can lead to a safe but boring life. I try to be somewhere in the middle. But I agree that you need to be aware of the risks.

Village??? St. John's is the capital city of Antigua with a population of over 32,000. I hear that they even have electricity and running water now. :D

Well my town is considered a village and it has electricity and running water. A village doesn't have to be a place with no rubbing water or electricity.

Well my town is considered a village and it has electricity and running water. A village doesn't have to be a place with no rubbing water or electricity.

Possibly true, but then again, your village (Town? You confuse me.) isn't a national capital. :)

I've been to all these islands many times before and will be going to them all again in March on the Summit. I would not skip any of them to stay on the ship. Any one of them has more to offer than does an empty ship.We have spent four land vacation son St. Thomas and love the beaches there. If you have never been there, going on a tour of the island that you can hop on at th taxi area would be my advice. It's an island well worth seeing. The ship also offers a reasonably priced tour that transports you to St. John for the day. The cost is close to doing it on our own and you won't be anxious about missing the ship. St John is our favorite island in all of the Caribbean. We rent a villa there every other year. Love it!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

Barbara .... Agree with you! What we do on a land vacation in St. Thomas is different from what we do on a cruise stop.

Using an excursion thru the ship is a very stress free and convenient way to go to St. John when it's a port stop. Actually, saves time because you don't have to deal with taxis and ferry schedules. :)

LuLu

~~~~

If you want to get off the ship at St. Thomas it's really easy (you just walk off) and you can get to interesting shops in just a short walk and spend about an hour or so walking around. There are touristy things to do there like Megan's Bay and trips to St. Johns and the view from the Big House is pretty amazing, but if you really want to skip an island that's the one I would skip as well. Although, unless you really like beach time Barbados is really just a big commercial place. We didn't think it was too thrilling.

Tom

Get off in STT and have a cab take you up to Bluebeards Castle (the one that overlooks the cruise port) It is a resort/condos. The view is awesome. They have a pool, pool bar with snack/bar food and a hot tub. There was no charge to go there and use all of it. You will find amazing liquors in the stores in STT that you will find no other place at really good prices. Or take the ferry over to St John and do some hiking. To us it's all about "no regrets" in life and have amazing stories to tell and remember.

We have an itinerary of 5 islands in 7 nights (only 1 sea day). They are in order: Barbados, St. Lucia, Antigua, St. Maarten and St. Thomas. We think we will want to skip one day in port and just lounge around the ship, take in some spa treatments, and enjoy the pool deck. For those of you that have sailed this itinerary, which island would you skip, and why? My DH says Barbados is non-negotiable, since he plans on surfing the 'soup bowl', and I have chosen St. Maarten and Captain Bob's tour as my (once again) must do, so that narrows it down to three! Help us decide or let us know if they all are must be visited! Thanks!

I have done a 5/7 and didn't skip any island.

All the islands are worthy of getting off the ship.

Been to all of those islands many times. Each has interesting things to do. Instead of picking an island to skip now, wait. Let your mood dictate which place to skip. If you get up one morning and feel like lounging, skip that port. I love staying on the ship when it is quiet. St.Lucia would be my vote. You may decide to get off in some ports for a short time. I enjoy getting off in the morning, returning for lunch, and relaxing on the ship in the afternoon. I used to insist on seeing and doing everything. Not anymore. Now I like to relax. Sunshine is the same on the ship or on the land.

Archived