Enchantment Questions- New to Cruising

Garland1

We will be cruising on the Enchantment in a few weeks and this is all new to us. Please help answer some questions:

1. Do I need a hair dryer

2 Do we have to dress up (suit and tie, gown/dress) to dine in the MDR on formal night

3. Should we purchase the drink package, I like the fancy fruity drinks and DH usually drinks beer. No idea how much a drink costs

4. Any suggestions on excursions when we get to Nassau, do they have any ATV or Jeep tours.

5. Is there a beach in Nassau you can walk to or do you have to take a tour and pay

6. We have MTD, do we have to make a ressie or can we just show up when we are ready to eat.

7. Is it cold on the ship

8. Do I need to bring towels for the beach

9. Will I get sea sick, any remedies if I do

Thanks all in advance for your input, like I mentioned we are new to this and have no idea what to expect on this trip.

We are in our 40's very easy going, like to have a good time

Can help with some questions.

There is a hairdryer in every stateroom. You need to keep the button continuously depressed to keep them on.

You can walk to Junkanoo Beach in Nassau.

You don't need a reservation for MTD, you can just walk up.

You don't need to bring towels, you can check out towels from the ship. Any towel you don't turn in by the end of the cruise will cost you $25.

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

A few answers

You don't need to dress on Formal Night. They will let you in wearing about anything. It would be nice though (personal opinion).

Never did a drink package, so it depends on how much you drink. About 8 to 10 beers a day (everyday). You'll be on shore for much of the cruise. However it would be convenient. Again, I don't drink enough to warrant the price. But others love it.

My wife is always cold, I'm always comfortable to hot.

Dramamine. Take non-drowsy for day, regular for night. My wife has never been sick (23 cruises). I don't get motion sick. The ships are stabilized and ride great.

I didn't think it was cold on Enchantment, but one person's comfortable is another person's too cold or too hot.

You'll get lots of opinions on the drink packages, but it depends on how much you are planning to drink and what you plan to drink. We did it once, and I was more concerned about trying to get my money's worth than just relaxing and enjoying. Personally I wouldn't recommend it to anyone unless they can drink 7-8 alcoholic beverages a day (including port days).

Whether you get sea sick or not depends on how prone you are to getting sea sick, how rough the water is, and where you are on the ship.

We will be cruising on the Enchantment in a few weeks and this is all new to us. Please help answer some questions:

2 Do we have to dress up (suit and tie, gown/dress) to dine in the MDR on formal night

3. Should we purchase the drink package, I like the fancy fruity drinks and DH usually drinks beer. No idea how much a drink costs

4. Any suggestions on excursions when we get to Nassau, do they have any ATV or Jeep tours.

5. Is there a beach in Nassau you can walk to or do you have to take a tour and pay

6. We have MTD, do we have to make a ressie or can we just show up when we are ready to eat.

Thanks all in advance for your input, like I mentioned we are new to this and have no idea what to expect on this trip.

1. There is a cheap one in the room that my wife complains about, but uses. She doesn't bother packing one.

2. No. Dress nicely and enjoy your meal. Don't look like a slob and don't worry about it, but that doesn't mean you have to wear a tux or suit.

3. That depends on how many drinks you have in a day. If you are going to drink a lot, yes. If you are just going to have a couple each a day, no.

4. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=58

5. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=58

6. We never make MTD reservations and always show up. The longest we have waited was 15 minutes and that was when we saw a specific table we wanted was eating dessert. We waited them out.

7. Is is cold in my house? Is it hot at the mall? This is 100% relative to who you are, your definition of hot and cold, and the day and what you are wearing. No one can answer that for you. My wife brings a wrap to dinner just in case. She has occasionally used it and often hasn't.

8. Take ship towels, but avoid the $25 fee by bringing them back.

9. I don't know you or your medical history or your tendencies to get seasick, so I can't say if you will. I could lie and say NO or lie and say YES. Talk to your doctor about options. Some people use seabands and some people say they are hoaxes. Some people use the patches behind the ears and some people say they make them feel worse. Ginger ale, ginger pills, bonine, dramamine, etc. There are tons of options. I can tell you one thing... I think a lot of seasickness in calm seas is in a person's mind. If the boat is bouncing on the water like a ping pong ball in an 80s lotto machine... getting seasick is just going to be a reality. If the ship is just slowly moving, it's mostly a mental thing unless you have some ailment.

Towels are provided for the pool and off-ship....no need to bring towels.

I bring my own hairdryer....the ship's get hot, but do NOT blow hard enough to "blow dry" my hair! That's the whole point of "blowdrying"!

I've never needed any of the wraps I bring.....pack something small/lightweight...if you need it, you'll have it. If you don't...oh well!

1. No. There is a hair dryer in the stateroom.

2. This is a touchy subject here on CC. We dressed up because we enjoy dressing up. Also, imho, the venue is so nice you kind of feel wrong if you don't. But people still roll in wearing shorts and tshirts. Saw an old dude wearing one of those tux tshirts (hand on Bible). SO, again imho, if you don't wantto dress for the venue, eat at the WJ. Besides, the food is better there anyway.

3. Alcoholic drinks range in price from about $6-9. Multiply that by the number of beer/cocktails you may think you'll have.

4. Do your homework (like you are doing) on Nassau. We didn't. Get away from the port but safely. We just walked around and was unimpressed. Should have taken a tour of some type.

5. Junkanoo.

6. You can just walk up but may have to wait. If you want a table to yourself a res is a must.

7. In the Orpheum, yes. Everywhere else, not so much. And I base that on my wife who is somewhat anemic. The thermostat, at least in our stateroom, worked great.

8. Yes. Don't pack any, just check them out. Like mentioned above there is a $25 charge if you don't bring back your soggy sandy towel. One word: cabanette. No need to bring towels and you get a whole host of other perks for $50.

9. My wife gets carsick just trying to look down and read while the car is moving. She called our doctor and they called in a prescription for Transderm Scop, a patch you wear behind your ear. She got four. One patch last 3 days. She was good to go.

I thought I would offer my opinion on sea sickness. I cruise with the assumption "prevention is better than the cure" about sea sickness. I take a daily dose of Bonine (over the counter almost grocery stores, pharmacies). For me, it works wonderfully, there have been times I have forgotten to take it, and boy have I paid the price (and it wasn't even very rough)!

Enjoy your cruise!!

1. Do I need a hair dryer There is one in the room, but it isn't exactly powerful. If you have a lot of (or thick) hair or little time to blow dry it, you probably want to bring your own

2 Do we have to dress up (suit and tie, gown/dress) to dine in the MDR on formal night About half do, and half don't. We dressed "business casual" on formal night and didn't feel at all out of place.

3. Should we purchase the drink package, I like the fancy fruity drinks and DH usually drinks beer. No idea how much a drink costs. Fruity drinks (like MaiTai's" go about $8-9 each. Beers range from $4.50-6.00 depending on brand

6. We have MTD, do we have to make a ressie or can we just show up when we are ready to eat. We always do MTD, and had reservations for 7PM. However, we were always somewhere else at 7, so we just wandered in when we got there. First night it was around 8PM, the other two nights it was around 7:45. Never had a problem.

7. Is it cold on the ship Not overly cold. We never felt the need to grab a sweater.

8. Do I need to bring towels for the beach. You can take the towels you check out from the ship onshore with you - just remember to bring them back. We usually make a stop at the towel station as soon as we get back onboard to exchange our beach towels with fresh ones.

9. Will I get sea sick, any remedies if I do The ship has an ample supply of Meclazine (bonine) on board at no cost. If it gets rocky, they have them at guest services, and there's a bin full of them in the Medical Center.

We just got off of Enchantment this morning, and my responses are in red in your post.

Archived