Most cost effective way to book stateroom(s) for 5 people

marjosagb

Hi,

In the very rough stages of planning a cruise for early 2014.

Would like to take a Freedom or Oasis class cruise. We live in Vancouver, BC so getting to Florida is quite costly for us to begin with, so I'm looking for some advice when it comes to booking staterooms.

There will be 7 of us cruising in total.

(ages are as follows: 55, 52, 31, 30, 22, 20, 18)

2 will have their own stateroom for sure, so no issue there.

I am looking for advice for the other 5 people. I'm sure it varies slightly from ship to ship, but in general, what would be the most cost effective way to book stateroom(s) for 5 people (sharing beds if fine)?

2 inside staterooms (3 in one, 2 in the other)

or

1 inside family stateroom (that sleeps 5)

or

Something else that I have not thought of...?

We've all cruised together once before, and we booked 3 staterooms (2, 2, and 3)...which worked well, but I'm not sure I realized that inside rooms that sleep 5+ were even an option.

Thanks!

The benefit to booking 2 insides is...2 bathrooms.

Ditto! Not enough price difference and you can always watch for price drop/upgrade possibilities. I am interested to know which ship people feel like they will get a better price.:confused:

The benefit to booking 2 insides is...2 bathrooms.

This is actually a big point to consider.

Plus the family staterooms that accommodate 6 people might actually be more expensive per person than two insides.

Happened to us on Rhapsody in August.

I wanted to book a Family Oceanview for 5 people and the total was about $70 more per person than two large, adjoining inside cabins for 2+3 people.

Plus two adjoining cabins with a door in between is a must if there are romantically involved people in the party. ;)

Hi,

In the very rough stages of planning a cruise for early 2014.

Would like to take a Freedom or Oasis class cruise. We live in Vancouver, BC so getting to Florida is quite costly for us to begin with, so I'm looking for some advice when it comes to booking staterooms.

There will be 7 of us cruising in total.

(ages are as follows: 55, 52, 31, 30, 22, 20, 18)

2 will have their own stateroom for sure, so no issue there.

I am looking for advice for the other 5 people. I'm sure it varies slightly from ship to ship, but in general, what would be the most cost effective way to book stateroom(s) for 5 people (sharing beds if fine)?

2 inside staterooms (3 in one, 2 in the other)

or

1 inside family stateroom (that sleeps 5)

or

Something else that I have not thought of...?

We've all cruised together once before, and we booked 3 staterooms (2, 2, and 3)...which worked well, but I'm not sure I realized that inside rooms that sleep 5+ were even an option.

Thanks!

I would book 3 cabins for the extra bathroom alone. As far as what will be the cheapest, it really depends on the ship and the week you are sailing. If you are looking at a popular spring break week, don't wait too long because you will have trouble finding a cabin for more than 3 people. Make sure you at all rates available because you might find a lower rate on a better cabin that is not selling well.

Thanks for your help everyone :)

I think 3 cabins makes the most sense...it worked well last time.

We would love to get to Florida to try a Freedom or Oasis class ship...but it's just so much more expensive and difficult to get to from Vancouver, BC.

Also, I see that the Navigator is getting a bunch of Oasis class upgrades in Jan 2014, and sails out of Galveston (much easier and cheaper to get to for us). We have done a 7-night Western Caribbean on her in 2011 out of Galveston and had a great time. The W/Carib itins in 2014 are different than the one we did (2014 is Roatan, Belize, Cozumel...in 2011 we did Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Falmouth) so it might be tempting to just do that again, considering the new stops, and new upgrades. Doing so would work out to $400-450 per person less expensive than Freedom/Oasis class out of Florida.

Decisions, decisions.

Archived