How can people afford expensive cruises?

ellasabe

Many who responded missed the point. The original question...how do you afford very expensive cruises? I have been on 36 cruises and have been pleased with the mid level cruise lines such as Princess and Celebrity. I look for the special sales and upgrade to a suite if the price is right.

I agree. I have a budget and I stay within it. But, then I have not really done any really expensive cruises. I have done some nice itineraries, like a transatlantic, a Mediterranean, Alaska,etc. but they were all on mainstream lines. I have done more of the Caribbean cruises than anything since they fit my budget better. My husband and I try to do a nicer trip every 3 to 5 years.

I would love to try Amazara or Oceania, and perhaps will one day, but I doubt Crystal or Regent will ever be possible for me. It is not important enough for me to throw away my retirement, lol! as one person indicated she thought people were doing. I do honestly believe most people have vacation budgets they work within like me. Some may just have more disposable income than I and so can afford better. I see nothing wrong with that.

I have not read this entire thread but I was really pleased today when I called Princess about applying future cruise credits (FCC) to the cruise I booked for March. We purchased 100 FCC each back in Sept while on a cruise to Alaska. Now we have booked a Panama Canal cruise and have received 200 bucks in on board credit (OBC).

What a lovely surprise. I had no idea that by purchasing FCC, we'd get OBCs. It's a win-win situation and we'll be doing this all the time now. I know we will want to book a cruise for 2015 so I plan on doing this on the ship in March and topping up on FCCs.

Just remember, you can only purchase the FCC while on board a Princess ship. Also, you will want one for you and one for your traveling companion. When I am on a cruise, I make sure I have enough for anything we might want to book before our next cruise.

Paul - I was just looking at the price of stock with Carnival (as it includes Princess) and it's trading around $35.00 a share. We are seriously thinking of investing as we see lots of cruises in our future.

With buying FCCs and then receiving OBCs combined with being a shareholder and points for airline/hotel fees - why one can "almost" cruise for free. :D

Paul - I was just looking at the price of stock with Carnival (as it includes Princess) and it's trading around $35.00 a share. We are seriously thinking of investing as we see lots of cruises in our future.

With buying FCCs and then receiving OBCs combined with being a shareholder and points for airline/hotel fees - why one can "almost" cruise for free. :D

Yes, you can get the FCC, shareholder, military, loyalty, credit card, Princess and TA OBC. All are combineable.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

All I can say is....."thankyou Mr Hooker"...

Just sold my big house and now live in a tiny one on the beach - bliss!!!! - palm trees and surf all night - done the pool, done the acreage and done the 4 bedrooms.... have money put aside for my lovely children

I work 3 days a week

Just coming off The Eden - over a period of 5 days I spent only 53 dollars .... that was a couple of coffees, a couple of Hot Dogs by the pool, some NZ icecreams by the pool again and a sarong on one of the islands... don't do alcohol and had a free Soft Drink package

Hoping to stretch my money over a period of time.... to include 2 big RTW cruises and quite a few smaller ones

Edited by irukandjisting

You know this thread is 2 years old, right? Why not just start a new one.
I call threads like this zombies. They're dead and then come back to life. I wish Cruise Critic would have a feature that would automatically close threads after a certain period of time without any responses--such as three months.

I guess the good news for anyone who bought Carnival Corp. stock two years ago at $35 or $40 a share is that it's now trading at $54 a share.