NCL - Great Customer Service Stories

hpecorari

Had outstanding customer service from on-board staff while on the Star (at least I think it was the Star).

We were in an inside room and I had been woken up two nights in a row by a group of people coming in late (after midnight) to an adjoining room and being quite loud, laughing and just generally partying it up. Night three and I am again woken up (DH sleeps like a log). I'd had enough and called the front desk to complain about the noise. I heard a knock on the door within 10 minutes and the noise immediately stopped.

The hotel manager called the next morning to apologize for the noise and offered to move us to another room (and inside to an inside). DH and I decided it was too much of a pain to move so we declined the offer but thanked them for taking care of the issue. Imagine our surprise that evening when we returned to the room to chocolate covered strawberries and a note from the hotel manager.

It cost NCL very little to leave that small gesture of the strawberries and another note but it meant a lot to us.

Was on a 12 day med cruise a few days after my mums funeral when we were treated to some real poor customer service at the excursion desk feeling how we did we couldn't be bothered getting into it but did happen to mention it to a rep we met on a tour we received a call from hotel director and received a free meal at cagneys no way did the one person at the excursion desk ruin our cruise but the hotel director helped to make it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

We seem to always hear the negative more so than the positive. How has NCL given you great customer service?

Harriet

My husband died on the Norwegian Spirit during our Christmas cruise in 2010.

NCL did everything possible to help our family. I'm not going to go into details. But will say NCL handled a difficult situation professionally and with great kindness. We were and continue to be grateful to every staff member on that cruise.

We were on Sky in May and went to several events hosted by "Boston Chris" on the cruise director's staff. He was AWESOME! After 5 cruises (including one last month), he is the only cruise director/staff person whose name I remember! He was funny, engaging, informative, and so much fun!!

All it takes is one person. This is a story about how NCL let us down, but one person turned it into a story about great service.

Our first cruise was a B2B2B and the middle "B" was a 1-night cruise from Seattle to Vancouver. Since the overall trip was 17 nights, we were inexperienced travelers and no flights were involved, we had a lot of luggage. Plus, DH is disabled with COPD. No one told us that the 1-night cruise had no luggage handling getting off the ship. :eek: That was a major problem since we could not handle the luggage ourselves. We let the front desk know when we boarded that we must have help getting off. We were told to call down for help. The next morning we called, then called 20 minutes later and called again. Finally someone came to help, saw the luggage and said he would get a cart. He never came back. We called again. Again no response. By now it was long past last call.

Finally the deck captain came by and saw that we couldn't/wouldn't get the luggage and that we needed help. He got the cart. He loaded the luggage. He shepherded us off the ship. All the luggage had to be taken off the cart and put through the Xray machine and put back on the cart. He did all that . He got us out the door and to the taxi. His concern and help turned a really frustrating, bad experience into one that brought tears to my eyes. I still remember that his first name was Hobden.

My husband died on the Norwegian Spirit during our Christmas cruise in 2010.

NCL did everything possible to help our family. I'm not going to go into details. But will say NCL handled a difficult situation professionally and with great kindness. We were and continue to be grateful to every staff member on that cruise.

I'm so sorry. I'm glad that NCL was able to extend a hand to you to help at a time like that.

Harriet

Never had any problem with NCL's customer service (crossing fingers, lol, I don't want to jinx it). One day, we had a problem during an excursion and they agreed to refund it. Another time, they called us before the cruise started to offer an (almost free) upgrade. Lately, I had trouble finalizing a booking on line and when I called them, they added a free dinner at a specialty restaurant for my trouble (although I wasn't asking for anything!) On board, if there is a billing error, they correct it right away and they're very polite. At least, that has been my experience so far. I wish all customer services were as easy to deal with! (anti-jinx required again ;))

I have a few as I've taken many a cruises with NCL.

One time they forgot to bring me my birthday cake at the MDR. That evening I received the birthday cake in the room with a bottle of Champaign along with an apology note. The next night they delivered another birthday cake and sang to me.

My nephew and his wife complained about the noise from their inside cabin one time on another cruise. They were moved to a balcony cabin and they comped them and us a meal at Cagney's along with a bottle of wine.

On another cruise my gf passed away suddenly. My husband had called a few times to let me know as well as e-mailed me, however I wasn't in our cabin for most of the day. Somehow, he contacted the ship.....they looked for me, found me, and I was able to call my husband. they also delivered flowers to my stateroom with a note of sympathy.

When booking a cruise my PCC has called me more than one time to notify me of a OBC that I qualify for and made the changes on the reservation for me. I do use NCL for my reservations and always call them rather than book online.

I'm sure there are more but I just can't think of them at the moment.

Any minor problem I've had has always been made right - sometimes with a little something and sometimes not.

We are all human. Customer service in all areas have problems, mistakes, etc. It's how they're handled afterwards that actually counts.

Harriet

I've only cruised twice, both times with NCL. My DH has cruised with other lines. We only met, well it'll be 5 years this November, and decided to try a cruise since I'd never done it and he hadn't been on 1 for many years. I researched and debated and looked here and there and finally made the call to NCL.

Well, that was the beginning for us. I was lucky enough to contact our current PCC and he's been great. We went on our first cruise together, Feb. 2012 on the Star. We had a fabulous time, from the moment we stepped onboard until we disembarked it was an unforgettable experience.

Our steward, Jerald, was so kind and sweet, he made sure we always had whatever we needed and he was so nice to talk to and always took time with us. The bartenders, including sweet Vince in the Star Bar, and the rest of the crew were wonderful as well.

We got engaged on that cruise, got married in November last year. We went on another cruise in Feb. 2013 on the Epic and while it wasn't my favourite ship, the staff were still very kind and the food was wonderful. We ended up having a great time anyway.

So now we're looking forward to another couple of cruises that I'm sure will be just as great. I don't know whether it's attitude or just dumb luck but we just seem to meet the nicest, kindest people and it makes everything just seem so much better. :)

Sorry this is long...wanted to make up for some who can't think of anything positive, LOL. :eek:

Kcwingwalker, I'm really sorry to hear that. :( I hope you are coping well.

As for our story:

We were given (2) $100 OBCs via our TA. We did not know that a portion of it was non refundable and that it could not be used toward the gratuities. (Inexperienced)

The night before disembarkation (midnight), we talked it over with the reception agent and we learned that we owed $68 to settle account although the $100 OBC was still present. Long story short, we paid our balance and then two kind NCL workers helped us buy liquor from the (already closed) shop. The receipt had to be manually written and the amount had to come close to, but not over what we had remaining of the OBC. I think we lost out on $3.

They didn't have to do it. We could have just lost the entire OBC. But they cared and they helped.

Thank you NCL!!!

I have done over 20 cruises. Two of them were on NCL. Been on royal Caribbean, carnival, princess, and Disney. NCL does not compare to any of the other cruise lines! Sorry to knock down NCL,but it is the truth. My #1 choice would be royal Caribbean however they have decided to outprice me. Have done 7 with royal Caribbean. Started sailing strictly on Carnival. Almost as good, however for the price, you cannot compare

Sent from my KFTT using Forums mobile app

I have done over 20 cruises. Two of them were on NCL. Been on royal Caribbean, carnival, princess, and Disney. NCL does not compare to any of the other cruise lines! Sorry to knock down NCL,but it is the truth. My #1 choice would be royal Caribbean however they have decided to outprice me. Have done 7 with royal Caribbean. Started sailing strictly on Carnival. Almost as good, however for the price, you cannot compare

To be honest I've never sailed Carnival and was thinking of doing so around a year ago.....

however, with all the problems Carnival has had I've since changed my mind. I'll take a little 'bad customer service' over ship/cruise problems! LOL

Harriet

To be honest I've never sailed Carnival and was thinking of doing so around a year ago.....

however, with all the problems Carnival has had I've since changed my mind. I'll take a little 'bad customer service' over ship/cruise problems! LOL

Harriet

I agree we were booked for a carnival cruise because of the price but my dh and I decided to switch to breakaway instead even though the price was higher.

I've always recieved great customer service on all my cruises with ncl.

No, it is not the TRUTH. It is OPINION.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I really don't think I have had really bad customer service with NCL. I didn't think the desk people on the Epic were particularly helpful or friendly, but they were efficient.

However, once on the Pearl I mentioned on a comment card that the lamb in the MDR was not up to par. The head chef and the hotel director tracked me down the next night at La Bistro, comped me that meal and the next night at the MDR left word that I was to get rack of lamb that night. A guy at the next table saw my rack of lamb and requested it also -- and he got it!! They certainly got some "hero" cards from me at the end of the cruise.;)

You know....one can appreciate the sentiment here and yes I have nothing but good to say about NCL BUT...

The timing of this post seems a little off to me and seems kinda like a knee-jerk post to the guy with a legitimate issue with NCL.

My experience is totally opposite. Having sailed the same as the above mentioned except Disney with an addition of HAL, I think Norwegian's customer service on land and on the ships is the best. I think it great we each have our favorites! For me, Norwegian might not do want people always want...but they always seem to do what is right. JMO

coka

So, the title of the thread is "NCL-Great Customer Service Stories"

If you don't have any that's fine, but why post?

For that matter why even read this board?

I normally don't read the Carnival board even though I have cruised with them, because I prefer Norwegian.

I will never understand people who waste their time and everyone else's posting on threads that they obviously have no connection with, just to make a Negative Nancy point.

That may well have been the 'truth' in your eyes 8 years ago when you last sailed with NCL. Both of those ships are no longer in the fleet. There have been a lot of changes since then. You may be limiting your choices with this attitude - just saying...

Edited by SteveH2508

You know....one can appreciate the sentiment here and yes I have nothing but good to say about NCL BUT...

The timing of this post seems a little off to me and seems kinda like a knee-jerk post to the guy with a legitimate issue with NCL.

I have to say that I disagree completely. The timing is perfect because if there were only threads titled like "NCL - HORRIBLE customer service" etc on the first page, it'd give out completely wrong picture to a newcomer here on CC.

The fact is that only a very small minority of customers have any major problems with their cruise but they are a lot more vocal than the ones that are happy after getting the normal, great experience with NCL. It's the same with most other websites too, very few happy people will take the time to wrote positive reviews but most of those that feel that they've been wronged in someway will blast their anger everywhere they can think of.

I feel for rhinomike for their problems with the reservation but while there have been mistakes from NCL's part, not getting calls returned by one person does not make NCL's customer service in whole "horrible" in my books - especially since it was a mistake of one specific supervisor, not multiple people there. People do mistakes and NCL has proven to usually make things right once the mistakes are spotted - there are exceptions of course, but with these prices and volume, I truly think that NCL delivers great value even if things sometimes go wrong.

Edited by Demonyte