Yes/ No - Steakhouse!

purplemusik

Steakhouse worth it?  

256 members have voted

1. 1. Steakhouse worth it?

• Yes- totally worth it - even just for the experience
    • No- If you don't know the difference- why waste the $

Going on the Dream in Feb. and a few of us were thinking of doing the Steakhouse. My Mom is a HUGE steak person but my sister and I ( the two who would be going with her ) enjoy the main dining room options just fine. We wanted to try the steakhouse because I've only seen GREAT reviews. So, if I'm not a huge steak person ( I enjoy it but can't tell a difference in different cuts/ etc ) would it be worth it?

Going on the Dream in Feb. and a few of us were thinking of doing the Steakhouse. My Mom is a HUGE steak person but my sister and I ( the two who would be going with her ) enjoy the main dining room options just fine. We wanted to try the steakhouse because I've only seen GREAT reviews. So, if I'm not a huge steak person ( I enjoy it but can't tell a difference in different cuts/ etc ) would it be worth it?

It's a very nice meal. Great service and food. We love it and go once every cruise (that had one).

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app from my IPhone

It will be the best meal you have your entire trip. My hubby and I booked the first time on the Glory in 09 we were doing a back to back cruise. We booked the first night and it was amazing. When you book for embarkation day they give you a free bottle of wine with your dinner. The steak melts in your mouth, the crab cakes are to die for and the cheesecake is traditional NY style it is huge about 4 inches high..not like the crap they call cheesecake on the rest of the ship. Before we left we made a reservation for our second week on embarkation day as well again.

We are cruising on the Liberty in 11days and I have booked it again. The food is upscale better than you will have in the MDR.

Enjoy.:)

I did the steakhouse on the Pride. I have never ever had a meal as good as that. The $35 is highly underpriced, IMO. I say do it, but research the MDR menus first and pick the one that appeals less to you and go that day.

Good idea on the looking at the menu.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app from my IPhone

I consider myself a "huge steak person", but I rarely go to fancy Steakhouses, so I wanted to try it on my last trip. My wife and I were traveling with my buddy and his wife. It was thier anniversary so we wanted to treat them to the Steakhouse. (and it gave me an excuse to go :))

I will say it was VERY nice and all the food up until the steak I ordered was excellent. I (and my buddy) ordered the 16 oz ribeye, it was OK but I thought to myself at the time I've cooked better steaks. As it turns out my buddy thought the same thing but didn't want to be rude and say anything.

By comparison, the same said buddy and I, went camping this last weekend. I bought two ribeye steaks from costco and we grilled them on a little weber grill. Service and ambience aside, the steak we grilled ourselves was superior to the one we had at the Steakhouse (in my opinion).

Would I recommend the Steakhouse? Yep. They have other things besides steak. I probably wouldn't do it again, but it was very nice and the food was good.

AZT

The pay restaurants are great for special occasions. Usually I pass because it just doesn't mean that much to me and would rather spend my money elsewhere.

I just ate at the "Taste of Texas" on I-10 in Houston; one of the best steakhouses in our town and the Carnival Magic ribeye was on par with the ribeye that I paid 59.00 for this past weekend (that was for steak and salad; additional cost for sides...)

Just say YES to Magic Steakhouse; two for two in my past experiences - Homeruns! And yes- we will eat there again on our next cruise. Make sure to save room for the Chocolate Sampler (or get it "to go") I can't speak for other ships but if sailing on the MAGIC.... Yup!!!!!!

-Boomer

Although there are likely to have been staff changes, service and cuisine on Dream in July was first rate. For the first time I brought a very special bottle of wine fully willing to pay the corkage fee. The sommelier, opening the wine, commented on it favorably and said a wine like that..she couldn't charge the fee. I tipped her$10 and poured a glass for her. The next night I received a complimentary bottle of a very nice cab in the mdr courtesy of the Steakhouse. Exceptionally nice gesture.

I just ate at the "Taste of Texas" on I-10 in Houston; one of the best steakhouses in our town and the Carnival Magic ribeye was on par with the ribeye that I paid 59.00 for this past weekend (that was for steak and salad; additional cost for sides...)

Just say YES to Magic Steakhouse; two for two in my past experiences - Homeruns! And yes- we will eat there again on our next cruise. Make sure to save room for the Chocolate Sampler (or get it "to go") I can't speak for other ships but if sailing on the MAGIC.... Yup!!!!!!

-Boomer

We've eaten there a few times (Taste of Texas). Steaks are good, but you would think when paying that much for a steak, they could throw in a 5 cent potato. It's always been a turn off for us at that place.

We love the steakhouse on Carnival. It's definitely worth the $35. We have confirmed reservations for the steakhouse on Magic for our upcoming cruise. We are actually having our Thanksgiving dinner there on Thanksgiving evening and we can't wait.

I will say it was VERY nice and all the food up until the steak I ordered was excellent. I (and my buddy) ordered the 16 oz ribeye, it was OK but I thought to myself at the time I've cooked better steaks. As it turns out my buddy thought the same thing but didn't want to be rude and say anything.

AZT

I have read a few bad reviews on the ribeye. I won't be ordering that! Every time I've gone I've ordered the surf & turf and that is also nice because it's not SO HUGE like the other steaks. All of the other food is so good, I don't want to just fill up on a ginormous steak!

Lets just say that it compares to some of the best steak houses I have been in. And for the price it is an upgrade well worth it. A similar diner with my wife at a smith and Wolenskys runs me around 275.00 with the tip. so for 100.00 it is well worth it.

Will be in the chefs art steak house three week from today.

I voted yes. It was easily the best meal on our cruises on the Valor and the Breeze and the service was excellent.

Is it worth the $35? That depends on your point of view. If I were to go to a comparable steakhouse in the Chicago area and order two appetizers, two steaks with sides and two desserts it would cost me at least $100/person, so comparing it to a similar steakhouse around here it is a bargain.

Also, Check the Fun Times to see when they have the cooking demonstration in the steakhouse. On the breeze it was the morning of the first sea day. The chef's demonstrated 4 or 5 dishes from the steakhouse menu and gave everyone a tasting portion. It was very interesting.

Wife and I are both 'wishy-washy' at this point, as we have tried Steakhouses on most every ship we have sailed...:o

Once we went back to a Steakhouse on the Liberty, I believe, as our first trip was GREAT.. 2nd was nowhere near the first..:( Totally disappointed..

Guessing if my options at home were $100.+ per plate for the same thing, it may be worth it, but Texas Roadhouse and Outback in this area, can be had for close to the $35. charge.. (remembering I could have also had a good meal in the MDR for $00...;))

We will be sticking to the MDR from now on, as a previous poster mentioned something like "we can grill a $12.00 steak on a small charcoal grill" on the patio, and have a better steak than we got in the Steakhouse.. And the wife and I agree.. !! $70. can be spent more wisely IMHO! :D

Although I do like steak now and then, I'm a big seafood lover. The sea bass at the steakhouse is EXCELLENT!:) And for $35.00, well worth the price, in comparison to one of the seafood restaurants here that we go to occasionally. Just my two cents worth.;)

It's totally worth it to us. I almost always get the lamb chops. They are cooked perfect unlike any lamb I've ever had in the MDR. We usually go on a formal night since I stopped caring about the lobster. When we sail thanksgiving we always go that night

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

Archived