Yes/ No - Steakhouse!

purplemusik

Steakhouse worth it?  

256 members have voted

1. 1. Steakhouse worth it?

• Yes- totally worth it - even just for the experience
    • No- If you don't know the difference- why waste the $

If you think of the MDR as like an Applebees or Olive Garden.

The Steakhouse is a nice restaurant where you go for a special dinner, like on Valentine's Day.

And they serve much more than just steak. There's a menu floating around here somewhere. Maybe check it out to help make your decision.

Cruise food is not that gourmet, but it is okay. The steakhouse therefore is not in our plans, never has been. I don't pay 35.00 for a meal at any local restaurant, in fact, can't recall in 50 years I have ever paid that much for a meal? Since I save and save for a year or two to afford a cruise, I am not about to dump 35 bucks for a meal?

Maybe just my morals, I am a big drinker and in 3 cruises have never "bought" a drink, just can't get my head around paying more than 4 bucks for a freakin beer or drink?

DH and I went to the Steakhouse on the Liberty last year, and though the food was good (honestly it's easily worth $35 a person), and the service was stellar, we decided we liked the MDR so much that it wasn't worth paying extra to miss it. Maybe we lucked out but our serving team in the MDR was amazing, the food was really good, and we enjoyed our table mates too.

For the meal and experience we had it was worth the extra cost, but we won't be doing the Steakhouse on the Glory in April. We just really love the MDR. Plus I don't want to miss Bitter and Blanc again!

I definitely agree! It was the BEST meal we at on the Valor! In fact, we went twice! Go at least once and enjoy the experience. Definitely a better selection!

It will be the best meal you have your entire trip. My hubby and I booked the first time on the Glory in 09 we were doing a back to back cruise. We booked the first night and it was amazing. When you book for embarkation day they give you a free bottle of wine with your dinner. The steak melts in your mouth, the crab cakes are to die for and the cheesecake is traditional NY style it is huge about 4 inches high..not like the crap they call cheesecake on the rest of the ship. Before we left we made a reservation for our second week on embarkation day as well again.

We are cruising on the Liberty in 11days and I have booked it again. The food is upscale better than you will have in the MDR.

Enjoy.:)

Cruise food is not that gourmet, but it is okay. The steakhouse therefore is not in our plans, never has been. I don't pay 35.00 for a meal at any local restaurant, in fact, can't recall in 50 years I have ever paid that much for a meal? Since I save and save for a year or two to afford a cruise, I am not about to dump 35 bucks for a meal?

Maybe just my morals, I am a big drinker and in 3 cruises have never "bought" a drink, just can't get my head around paying more than 4 bucks for a freakin beer or drink?

I'm so with you about the cost of steakhouse meal or even at a local eatery. I'm thrilled to even eat out at times. In fact, I'm thrilled to even be able to cruise. So, unless I have someone who'll foot the bill (I think I'd still resist) the steakhouse will be reserved for people who enjoy that sort of thing.

I think it is worth it and book for the last night of the cruise, as I think it is a good way to end the vacation. The appetizers are great, the salads and I love the surf and turf, and dH doesn't eat steak but has crab cakes as an entree. The dessert, choc. sampler, cheesecake or apples in pastry are all good. The atmosphere is very nice as well.

Like with everything else, it depends on what you want to spend your money and what you value.

Going on the Dream in Feb. and a few of us were thinking of doing the Steakhouse. My Mom is a HUGE steak person but my sister and I ( the two who would be going with her ) enjoy the main dining room options just fine. We wanted to try the steakhouse because I've only seen GREAT reviews. So, if I'm not a huge steak person ( I enjoy it but can't tell a difference in different cuts/ etc ) would it be worth it?

I am not a huge steak person either, I have eaten at the steakhouse 5 times, I have either gotten the lobster tails or lobster ravioli, I also have tried the surf and turf, there are other choices besides steak on the menu.

Why make a post. If you have never or will never go and spend money on a quality meal. If you have never spent 35$ then you are not eating in mid range to upper scale restaurants. Your choice of course. Every person has the right to spend their hard earned money in way they want.

Enjoy your cruise that is what it is all about. :cool:

I don't know the difference in the cuts of steak as well, but I enjoy the steakhouse. In fact every ship that we have been on and there is a steakhouse, we make sure to go.

We decided to go on embarkation day the last cruise and enjoyed the free bottle of wine. I'm not a huge wine person so I can't say if the wine is top of the line, middle of the road, or bottom of the barrel. But I enjoyed the wine.

We even booked a second night on the last cruise after looking at menus from the stateroom t.v. before dinner service as the menu didn't appeal to me.

Is it worth $35? To me it is!!! :D But as someone mentioned, "to each his/her own."

DH and I enjoyed the Steakhouse on our Glory cruise last winter. DH is particular about his steak (and has eaten at some very respectable steakhouses) and we agree that for the $35, you definitetly get your money's worth. Have we had better? Sure, but we also paid close to $300 for a better meal not $70. And we have not had better creamed spinach than what is on Carnival, if that is your thing.

My cousin also sails Carnival and she loves the steakhouse and she doesn't eat meat. She gets the chicken.

Why make a post. If you have never or will never go and spend money on a quality meal. If you have never spent 35$ then you are not eating in mid range to upper scale restaurants. Your choice of course. Every person has the right to spend their hard earned money in way they want.

Enjoy your cruise that is what it is all about. :cool:

You question the poster, why do you? Is it just because you want every poster to want to go to the steakhouse? We don't all feel the same, but unless we love the steakhouse I guess you want us to be quiet;)

I've been 3 times. I've enjoyed the food each time. However both times, and on separate cruises, on the Valor the service was terrible. That has left a bad taste in our mouths for the steakhouse. I expect and and enjoy a slow paced meal. I do not expect to have dirty plates be left in front of me until the next course arrives, I don't expect my glass to go dry and I certainly don't expect my server to be absent for extended periods while my glass is empty. The first time on the valor we thought was a fluke so we tried it again the next time. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.

But for $70 it's a great value. The local Whole Foods has prime grade beef and at $22-25/lb it's pretty darned hard to argue with Carnival's price for the whole meal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just off the Conquest and we ate at the Steakhouse our first night out. It was our first time. Loved the meal, I had the ribeye and it was fantastic. DH had the Surf & Turf and loved it. Our only issue is it is really too much food for us. I felt so bad leaving so much food there. Normally I would take it home and make another meal of it. We took our cheesecake back to our room, but then found out that it would not fit in the fridge! So, we ate some later and then tossed it. Would we do it again? Not sure. It was worth the money for the amount of food we got, if only we could have finished it.

Never spent $35 on a meal in your life? :eek:

Wow...I can't see that as being possible.

The dollar menu is available for everymeal I suppose. Was it tough when wendy's went to the right price menu? ;)

For the OP I voted yes because I have paid more than $35 for a meal in my lifetime and the steakhouuse on the Legend was very very good.

When you are on a CCL cruise the steakhouse is the "fine" dining establishment and only you can decide if its worth it. We did it once as a special occasion and then did it later in the cruise because it was so good.

I wish CCL had other venues other than a steakhouse, like NCL's plethera of choices.

Now I do agree with the poster above, I won't miss the bitter and blanc night in the MDR. When the waiter came over that night I said, just bring a bitter and blanc every 5 minutes until I pass out or gain a pants size...then bring one every 10 minutes. :D

I'm sure the cost of the food is worth the $35, but my husband and I were not impressed. Many of the items just weren't to our liking and we would have been satisfied with the MDR choices that evening. And our service actually was not better than what we got from our wait staff in the MDR. The waiters in the steak house were not as friendly as those in the MDR. But you won't know for yourself until you've tried it, so you should try it once and then decide if it's worth it for you to do it again. We went just because so many folks on CC raved about it. My steak was good, but some of the other courses did not appeal to me. The steak was big enough, though, that I barely had room for dessert. That was a disappointment. I just chose one item off the chocolate sampler. :(

Going on the Dream in Feb. and a few of us were thinking of doing the Steakhouse. My Mom is a HUGE steak person but my sister and I ( the two who would be going with her ) enjoy the main dining room options just fine. We wanted to try the steakhouse because I've only seen GREAT reviews. So, if I'm not a huge steak person ( I enjoy it but can't tell a difference in different cuts/ etc ) would it be worth it?

We might be the minority, but we did not feel the Steak House was any big deal on Breeze earlier this month.

This was my 12th and DH's 10 Carnival cruise. We decided to try the steakhouse for the first time. We were disappointed. While service was indeed very good, the food, we found, was just average. We both ordered the bone-in ribeye, aka cowboy, steak. It was grilled perfectly medium rare but mine was a little tough. Honestly, I've had similar or better steak at Longhorn.

It was an expensive lesson that we will not be repeating.

I voted "no," because the one time we went (on the Valor), we found the food and service to be very good, just like the main dining room.

Just like the main dining room.

Although it was nice to be in a different setting, we came away thinking that we would have been just as happy with our regular waiter who had treated us so well the entire cruise. And we could have used the extra $$$ for another overpriced Christmas ornament in the shape of the "Carnival Valor!"

:)

For the quality, and amount of food you get, it is a huge bargain. That meal on any land based establishment would be north of $50 per person just for the entree alone.

We typically eat there twice when we were on the Magic.

Archived