Booked my first balcony!!!

mitsugirly

Anyone around here who knows me and have read my reviews knows that I only book interior rooms (with an occasional free upgrade to an obstructed ocean view picture window) in order to save money (since I'm a college student) and to be able to cruise more than once a year.

Well, it's been a rough year of Nursing school and we will be leaving in 41 days, 18 hours, 37 min and 39 seconds to board the Jewel. I will have 1 more semester left before graduation (fingers crossed) and the hubby has taken his company to an all new level. Our munchkin has started kindergarten this year and I have 2 new grand-babies on the way due 1 month apart after we return from our cruise. Whew!!!

So I thought long and hard and went for an upgrade to a balcony. It's a SURPRISE for the hubby (for Christmas since this is our Christmas cruise) and I'm keeping it a secret. :eek: (Truth be known, it's my gift as well but shhhhh). He is going to be so shocked when we open the door and he discovers it's a balcony. Our first ever.

Now I enjoy staying in interiors. I really do. I like that it's awesome for sleeping and dark. We honestly don't spend a lot of time in our rooms. We sleep, shower and change and that's about it. I am on the go 24/7 if possible. I'm just wondering how I'm going to feel about this. I'm afraid I will feel "obligated" to spend more time in the room now because of the balcony. I can picture us using it at night maybe sitting out there before going to sleep, but it's definitely not something I would do during the day I don't think??? :confused: (I'm not the "grab a book and relax in a chair with the sound of the waves rushing by me" type of girl). So I guess we'll see how it goes and I guess you guys are going to get a "different" kind of review from me this time. :D

So...here's my question.....

Since I'm keeping this from the hubby, when we check in, are they going to mention the room we have or anything? I honestly don't remember them saying what room you have or confirming it during check in. I don't want to "spoil it" for the hubby. :o

Anyone around here who knows me and have read my reviews knows that I only book interior rooms (with an occasional free upgrade to an obstructed ocean view picture window) in order to save money (since I'm a college student) and to be able to cruise more than once a year.

Well, it's been a rough year of Nursing school and we will be leaving in 41 days, 18 hours, 37 min and 39 seconds to board the Jewel. I will have 1 more semester left before graduation (fingers crossed) and the hubby has taken his company to an all new level. Our munchkin has started kindergarten this year and I have 2 new grand-babies on the way due 1 month apart after we return from our cruise. Whew!!!

So I thought long and hard and went for an upgrade to a balcony. It's a SURPRISE for the hubby (for Christmas since this is our Christmas cruise) and I'm keeping it a secret. :eek: (Truth be known, it's my gift as well but shhhhh). He is going to be so shocked when we open the door and he discovers it's a balcony. Our first ever.

Now I enjoy staying in interiors. I really do. I like that it's awesome for sleeping and dark. We honestly don't spend a lot of time in our rooms. We sleep, shower and change and that's about it. I am on the go 24/7 if possible. I'm just wondering how I'm going to feel about this. I'm afraid I will feel "obligated" to spend more time in the room now because of the balcony. I can picture us using it at night maybe sitting out there before going to sleep, but it's definitely not something I would do during the day I don't think??? :confused: (I'm not the "grab a book and relax in a chair with the sound of the waves rushing by me" type of girl). So I guess we'll see how it goes and I guess you guys are going to get a "different" kind of review from me this time. :D

Since I'm keeping this from the hubby, when we check in, are they going to mention the room we have or anything? I honestly don't remember them saying what room you have or confirming it during check in. I don't want to "spoil it" for the hubby. :o

You and your family will love your balcony room. Nothing nicer than that first cup of coffee on the balcony or a late evening drink.

I really cannot remember if they mention your room at check-in. But even if they do, your husband may not notice because everyone is concentrating on keeping the lines moving and boarding. And I promise I won't tell and I'll bet everyone else here at CC will keep your surprise a secret.

Enjoy!

My number one joy in having a balcony is sleeping or napping with the door open so I can hear the waves. I make sure the A/C is OFF so as not to strain the system...

Enjoy! And congrats on all those milestones! Wonderful!

Congratulations on all these great life events ....and on booking a balcony! I always love reading your reviews and am looking forward to the next one.

I'm not absolutely sure, but I can't recall anyone mentioning the cabin type unless you're in a suite.

Enjoy!!!

You and your family will love your balcony room. Nothing nicer than that first cup of coffee on the balcony or a late evening drink.

I really cannot remember if they mention your room at check-in. But even if they do, your husband may not notice because everyone is concentrating on keeping the lines moving and boarding. And I promise I won't tell and I'll bet everyone else here at CC will keep your surprise a secret.

Enjoy!

If only I drank coffee :o but a late night drink might work. :D

Hopefully if they mention the room, they'll just say room ____ and not balcony room ____.

Thanks for keeping my secret. It's much appreciated. I knew I could count on you guys. :p

My number one joy in having a balcony is sleeping or napping with the door open so I can hear the waves. I make sure the A/C is OFF so as not to strain the system...

Enjoy! And congrats on all those milestones! Wonderful!

We don't really nap (maybe have done it once a cruise) but one of my concerns is my little one. Although she's usually well behaved, has been cruising since she was 3, and has a good head on her shoulders for knowing right from wrong, the whole balcony thing still scares me. I know she will not be allowed anywhere near it without us being out there at all times and the thought of leaving the door open while sleeping...well, I'm just not feeling that with her being in the room. I guess we'll have to see.

From the pictures that show the room layout, am I right in saying that the couch (which will pull out into her bed) will be the one over by the sliding doors to the balcony? Or do some rooms have the bed there instead? :confused:

I have loved reading your reviews and you are going to LOVE the balcony! It's wonderful even if it's just for the air and the natural light! Can't wait to hear all about your cruise!

Thanks so much. It will definitely be a different experience for us. I have read so many people talk about having the doors open and I have always wondered what it's like because it's usually hot out. It always made me wonder if it will get too hot in the room and you won't be able to do that.

Congratulations on all these great life events ....and on booking a balcony! I always love reading your reviews and am looking forward to the next one.

I'm not absolutely sure, but I can't recall anyone mentioning the cabin type unless you're in a suite.

Enjoy!!!

Thanks so much. I guess I will definitely have a different perspective this time around with my review. I hope it doesn't spoil me. :p

All of the balcony cabins I have been in have the couch by the sliding doors. I think they are different on Epic, tho.

One thing to remember...make sure you close the door to the balcony BEFORE opening the door to the hallway!! You will have a wind storm in your cabin, if you don't! :D

Hubby is slightly claustrophobic, so we always stay in a balcony room. We love them! There is nothing like setting out there for the sunrise/sunsets - and having a cocktail out there in the evening - you'll love it! On all the ships we have been on, the couch is next to the sliding doors....don't know about the Epic, we have not been on her yet. I am sure you're little one will be fine, just set the ground rules with her that she isn't allowed out on the balcony unless one of you is with her. And they're right about not having the cabin door AND the balcony door open at the same time....it will make a vacuum and suck any paper that is on the desk out to sea! (we had money go out that door, we kept it on the desk for tips and didn't know about opening both doors at the same time!!) Enjoy!!

All of the balcony cabins I have been in have the couch by the sliding doors. I think they are different on Epic, tho.

One thing to remember...make sure you close the door to the balcony BEFORE opening the door to the hallway!! You will have a wind storm in your cabin, if you don't! :D

I have read about the suction issue. I know that even when you are in the ship and heading outside, some of the doors create that wind blown/suction air that it makes it hard to push open or slams the door shut. We were on one of our cruises with a fellow roll call member that went to open the door to go outside and it took half his finger off in the process. They immediately had to disembark at the next port, fly home and have surgery. :( This happened I think the very first day. I have always been extra careful after that happened.

I'm not sure about the Epic either. When we sailed the Epic we were in 2 studios and it was awesome.

Hubby is slightly claustrophobic, so we always stay in a balcony room. We love them! There is nothing like setting out there for the sunrise/sunsets - and having a cocktail out there in the evening - you'll love it! On all the ships we have been on, the couch is next to the sliding doors....don't know about the Epic, we have not been on her yet. I am sure you're little one will be fine, just set the ground rules with her that she isn't allowed out on the balcony unless one of you is with her. And they're right about not having the cabin door AND the balcony door open at the same time....it will make a vacuum and suck any paper that is on the desk out to sea! (we had money go out that door, we kept it on the desk for tips and didn't know about opening both doors at the same time!!) Enjoy!!

I'm just hoping we have a room on the side with the sunset. :)

I'm not sure why the both of you have mentioned the Epic and the couch placement. :confused: I will be on the Jewel. :D

I'm definitely setting the ground rules the minute we walk in the door for sure.

(Taking notes...don't leave any papers, dailies, money or anything light weight in the room when opening doors if you want to keep them). :o

I also have a balcony all the time~~but almost got sucked out of my cabin~~I forgot the balcony door was open and opened my cabin door to put my suitcase out to be picked out to disembark the next morning

~~lucky there was a man who worked on the ship outside my door and he helped me with my suitcase so I did not get blown away~~happy sailing and enjoy your balcony!:)

Hi Mitsugirley, that is a nice surprise for your family. I enjoy reading your reviews and look forward to reading about how you like the balcony. A balcony is a bonus to everything you love about cruising. I do not think you will feel obligated to use it, but having the ability to look at the sea while you are waking up, getting ready for the next event/venue, and even while changing, can give an unexpected sense of relaxation, rejuvenation, and peacefulness...even during stormy weather. Whenever I am three to a room I do not mind taking the couch (yes they are closest to balcony on Jewel) because I can see the sea while sleeping...

coka

They won't mention the room.. Or in my history they Havnt now if he looks up the deck plans that's another story.. I sprung for a balcony 2 cruises ago wife didn't like it .. I used it some she said it made her more sea sick so back to interiors we went!

What an awesome surprise!! Congratulations!!!! I did this for my daughter on the Star. They did not ever say anything at all about it being a balcony room. She was absolutely shocked and so happy when she opened the door to the cabin :D. Hope you enjoy your balcony as much as we have ours in the past :).

Hi Mitsugirley, that is a nice surprise for your family. I enjoy reading your reviews and look forward to reading about how you like the balcony. A balcony is a bonus to everything you love about cruising. I do not think you will feel obligated to use it, but having the ability to look at the sea while you are waking up, getting ready for the next event/venue, and even while changing, can give an unexpected sense of relaxation, rejuvenation, and peacefulness...even during stormy weather. Whenever I am three to a room I do not mind taking the couch (yes they are closest to balcony on Jewel) because I can see the sea while sleeping...

coka

I hope I get "some" use of it since it cost me more. I'm just a little nervous about it since I know we have never actually stayed in our room. I agree about the relaxation and peacefulness...I can definitely see that happening.

Now that I'm thinking about it...the ships pull in to NOLA with the front of the ship facing the bridge right? Then when they pull out they turn around? Is that correct or do I have it backwards? I will have to look at the deck plans to see where my room is located (all these years of cruising and I still don't know what the difference is between star board and ______ um what's that other side? :eek:). I'm wondering if our room will be facing the port dock as we pull away and we should do sail away in the room. But then again if the ship turns around, we wouldn't be there facing that way for too long. :p

They won't mention the room.. Or in my history they Havnt now if he looks up the deck plans that's another story.. I sprung for a balcony 2 cruises ago wife didn't like it .. I used it some she said it made her more sea sick so back to interiors we went!

He doesn't even know what the room number is from the previous booked room. So no way he'll even know that I switched or what the room number is now. He doesn't pay attention to any of that stuff. He leaves all the planning, booking, excursions, and everything else up to me. He just goes with the flow. :D

I do have to say though...this cruise coming up, he has done nothing but talk about how he can't wait for it to come. I have never heard him talk so much about a cruise before. He loves cruising, but he doesn't mention it often. These days (for the last 2 months or so), it's all he talks about. :)

What an awesome surprise!! Congratulations!!!! I did this for my daughter on the Star. They did not ever say anything at all about it being a balcony room. She was absolutely shocked and so happy when she opened the door to the cabin :D. Hope you enjoy your balcony as much as we have ours in the past :).

I'm always the one that can't keep my directions straight. I call him my personal GPS. Even by the end of the cruise, I will still turn in the wrong direction to go to the room and other places on the ship. So, he'll "probably" figure it out once we get in to the hallway and start looking for the number to the room. When he noticeds what side it's on, he'll probably instantly get it before I can get the door open. But that's ok. I'll keep it a secret until then.

Congrats on your balcony, I remember my first balcony it was amazing. Went from inside to obstructed to oceanview and then voila balcony. You will love it. I agree try and sleep with door open. Enjoy hun enjoy. There is something about sitting on your balcony and watching the world go by you will love it, oh and the sunsets an sunrises oh my enjoy

I will bet you doughnuts to dollars , when you come back you will tell us that the balcony was well used ;)

Just a guess .

Side note : Dont forget to look for the old mansion on the starboard side when sailing down the Old Miss . Its the same one from the image on the Southern Comfort label ..

800px-A_Home_on_the_Mississippi.jpg.6023ddd4bcd3018a0a1bcdb1faa510dc.jpg

What a cute post! Congrats on your near completion of nursing school, the grandbabies, the balcony, all of it. What a great cruise you're going to have. I am back in school getting my Masters (and after switching majors I still have along way to go). I call this upcoming cruise my "sanity" cruise.

Anywho...I don't recall them saying anything about our cabin category (by saying what type of room) when I checked in but maybe you can hand her a little post it note with whatever else you are handing her that asks her not to say anything about the cabin. She'll probably look at it intently but he'll probably just think she's looking at documentation or something.

Edited by cruisecritiquer

I second the congratulations on your life events.

I love having a balcony. It is such a nice backdrop to just being in the room. I also love having a slice of the water all to myself - meaning I can enjoy the water or port view without having others standing right next to me. I find water to be relaxing, and being able to have it to myself even for short times with coffee in the morning is so nice.

As to thinking you'll feel obliged to spend time there, my rule is to not do one thing you don't want to do except muster. Anything you do that you don't want to do is wasting the money. While it may seem like you have to spend time there because you spent money on it, that is actually counter-productive and wastes the money. It's like spending a lot of money on a big dinner and then stuffing yourself sick. Yep - you just spent a lot of money to feel like hell. This is kind of the same thing - once you have spent the money, the goal should be to do exactly what you want.

Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if you end up loving the balcony room even if you don't spend any more time in it than you do in an inside.

Have fun!

Too funny...! I learned this the hard way on my first balcony as a solo when i was on the breakaway. Had the balcony door open didnt think anything of it..and the room steward knocked on the door for something... i opened it no..got what i needed from his ..and i let the door go as usual....thenBAAAAAAM!!!!! Oh...! my neighbors hated me in that moment.....

yes...please remember to close the balcony door first then open the cabin door. the wind is powerful!!:D:eek:

Too funny...! I learned this the hard way on my first balcony as a solo when i was on the breakaway. Had the balcony door open didnt think anything of it..and the room steward knocked on the door for something... i opened it no..got what i needed from his ..and i let the door go as usual....thenBAAAAAAM!!!!! Oh...! my neighbors hated me in that moment.....

yes...please remember to close the balcony door first then open the cabin door. the wind is powerful!!:D:eek:

Love the descriptive on this!!!! I'm cracking up laughing.

:D

Congrats on your balcony, I remember my first balcony it was amazing. Went from inside to obstructed to oceanview and then voila balcony. You will love it. I agree try and sleep with door open. Enjoy hun enjoy. There is something about sitting on your balcony and watching the world go by you will love it, oh and the sunsets an sunrises oh my enjoy

I started out in the port hole rooms, then went to interior, then got a picture window, then back to an interior with no problem. So hopefully if we can't afford another balcony any time in the future, I will adjust back to an interior nicely. We'll see how it goes. :o

I will bet you doughnuts to dollars , when you come back you will tell us that the balcony was well used ;)

Just a guess .

Side note : Dont forget to look for the old mansion on the starboard side when sailing down the Old Miss . Its the same one from the image on the Southern Comfort label ..

I think I have figured out that we are on the starboad side. Looking at the layout of the ship, facing forward, we are on the right side. Is this the starboard side? If so, we will be facing the port during boarding and be able to watch us pull away. Then will turn around for the trip down the river.

However, I'm not sure what to do. Watch us pull out from the balcony or be up on the deck where all the action is going on and dancing during sail away (which is usually what we do). This is going to be weird. :cool:

I can tell you we probably won't be sitting on the balcony as we float down the river. I'm just not in to "sitting" and once we pull away, we head out for everything we can find to get in to. :D