SDI - Barbados-Caldera

vandrefalk

I thought I would start a new thread for this B2B so we don't get "lost" in the other Costa Rica thread :)

I know Zimmy, Loving Life and some others will be joining us. Roll call?

We fly to Barbados on Friday -- meeting FPepples in Miami if they can run from their connecting flight fast enough :D -- staying at the Hilton and going to the Oistins Fish Fry Friday night. Have heard about this for years, but never experienced it! Then will hang out impatiently on Saturday til it's time to board SD! So looking forward to seeing all the cres and some old (and maybe new!) friends!

Grenada is the only port we've been to before, so everything else will be brand new. The land adventures look good as well.

Will post as I can and hopefully others will join in!

Vandrefalk

Thanks for starting the thread, Vandrefalk. Hopefully between all of us we will be able to keep it up and keep everyone else informed. We are leaving on Thursday and will arrive at the Hilton about midnight.

Did you get e-documents or not? Mine are supposed to be e-documents. I did not see any choice to make between traditional and e-documents. Not a big deal as Princess and Cunard are all e-docs now but I do kind of miss getting the folio, baggage tags, real pages, etc. Just old fashioned I guess.:eek::D

Safe travels everyone! :D

We were originally booked on the b2b but needed to cancel, so I will be anxious to hear all about the new excursions that all of you will be taking on this new SD Costa Rica adventure!

Please give our best to the Capt. and crew and we will look forward to traveling along with you on here. :D

Did you get e-documents or not? Mine are supposed to be e-documents. I did not see any choice to make between traditional and e-documents. Not a big deal as Princess and Cunard are all e-docs now but I do kind of miss getting the folio, baggage tags, real pages, etc. Just old fashioned I guess.:eek::D

We got e-documents. If I recall correctly, when we booked (a long, long time ago - when the voyages were first published) our travel agent asked whether we would want e-documents and a fifty dollar spa credit. We took the money.

Wish we were going with you! Have not done the Canal but did do Costa Rica several years ago. Hopefully we can do the Canal at some point. Those of you doing Costa Rica will love it

FPebbles I do think you need to get off the boat on this one! Looks like a lot of good ports! Our best to you and Mr FPebbles! Again it would be fun to be with you, but it is a very good thing I did not book. We are expecting first grand child on or about Jan 3 and I have 2 baby showers to go to on Nov 16 and 17. Don't think our kids would have been happy if grandma was cruising!

To all of the Panama Canal and Costa Rica cruisers--Have a great cruise! Want to hear all about it!

We leave tomorrow morning for Barbados. It has been touch and go for us for the past two days. I broke my wrist Tuesday morning and we almost cancelled. But I was determined and we are going. However, this does settle my inner debate as to whether or not I was going to do a zipline. So we will be easy to recognize. I will be the one with the cast on my arm. Safe travels, all - see you on Saturday.

Assume those on this thread saw other thread about SD owner filing for bankruptcy same day Pam resigns as CEO. Not good news of course. Am trying to find out status of ships now and as to future voyages as we have funds on deposit not to mention those of you departing sooner. Please do not blame the messenger, just wanted folks to know to check it out on their own.

We leave tomorrow morning for Barbados. It has been touch and go for us for the past two days. I broke my wrist Tuesday morning and we almost cancelled. But I was determined and we are going. However, this does settle my inner debate as to whether or not I was going to do a zipline. So we will be easy to recognize. I will be the one with the cast on my arm. Safe travels, all - see you on Saturday.

Hang in there. In 2009, we sailed on SD 2 weeks after I cut a thumb off.:eek: Had lots of good medical advice from fellow passengers and all was well. It works just fine today. Be sure to let us know how it is going. I know you can type one handed. Bon Voyage.:D:D:D

Zimmy, so very sorry to hear this! Be sure to link up with Vandrefalk.... she has already paved the way for you!!! :eek:

Seriously, I'm glad you decided to go ahead & take the cruise. Even though some activities might need to be curtailed now the crew will take very good care of you -- so go and just enjoy! ;) Please do check in from time to time if you are feeling up to it. Safe travels!

Assume those on this thread saw other thread about SD owner filing for bankruptcy same day Pam resigns as CEO. Not good news of course. Am trying to find out status of ships now and as to future voyages as we have funds on deposit not to mention those of you departing sooner. Please do not blame the messenger, just wanted folks to know to check it out on their own.

Do not worry as to voyages now nor in immediate future. There is no mention of SD filing for BK. As a financial services attorney working in international matters, while I have no personal knowledge everything I read indicates SD itself has been making money and speculation has been that excess cash has been pulled to support other ventures. That's why there won't be a new ship.

People put negative cash flow ops into Bk all the time to reorg, sale., or liquidate while keeping profitable ones open.

Personally, I'd buy trip insurance going forward just to be safe

FT

If you go to the thread concerning Pam Conover resigning, there was a reply this morning from Andreas from Seadream mentioning that the bankruptcy link was actually from a few years ago and had been resolved.

"I just wanted to post a quick message here saying that the article mentioned in this thread is several years old. When you look at the article you get today's date instead of the date the article was written. The matter discussed in the article was resolved years ago with a positive outcome."

Poor Zimmy! I broke my leg the DAY before an SD cruise -- and remember Cdreamer thinking it was a joke when I came out on deck in a wheelchair! Not. The crew was wonderful and made sure I got to see most things -- even took me to the doctor on Saba, who confirmed the leg was broken and gave me a lovely cast. At least you won't have to go down the gangway on your butt! :D

But now I will be able to recognize You :)

FT, I ALWAYS get trip insurance -- not so much for fear of the cruise line going belly up, but because we have had family issues (elderly relatives) in the past -- and would have lost lots and lots of money if we hadn't had it.

Driving to Jax this afternoon!

Vandrefalk

Getting ready to board as it's 1:00 here.

Have enjoyed our time with the Vandrefalk's entirely! Oistens was fun and I imagine it does get going later but we made an early night of it.

Highly recommend Cuz's fish shack. had the "all three" and at first bite would have said I didn't care for the cheese with the fish although the fish was EXCELLENT FRESH but by the third gooey bite I was ready to ask if they had a purveyor list like The French Laundry ;). Heaven.

Very concerned for the many Philippine staff on SD. Cant imagine what this is like for them.

We are finally here! Looks like it is going to be a great cruise. 86 out of 106 are returning passengers. No kids. Grenada today is quiet because it is Sunday. Only one other ship in port, Silver Cloud, so not too many people. We have met up with Vandrefalk and FPebbles, but not any others. I am kind of easy to identify because of my cast. Dinner last night was inside. Rain on and off. All is good.

Zimmy is doing fine with her cast -- doesn't keep her from lifting that glass of champagne all all :)

We have the new captain -- Erikson -- but Capt Bjarne is on for a few days for transition. Pierre is HotMan; Silvio is Md, Mikee, Jose, Brian, Mark, Doramus and several others y'all know. Manuel and Gideon are bartenders. New piano guy Anthony and new CAD Elisa. New concierge as well. Housekeeping is the delightful Maria and Rose has the boutique. So lots of familiar faces and some new ones. A number of crew will be getting off in Balboa, and I understand Olivier is coming on there.

Ship is wonderful as always, but I always forget how hot and WINDY the Caribbean is! Given up on the hair for the next two weeks. Today is a quiet day -- have been to Grenada several times and don't need to do it again. Everything else will be new after today! We'll all keep you posted!

FT -- we got champagne, not prosseco. . . . and DH and FPebbles had mussels for lunch!

That's it for now!

Vandrefalk