SDI - Barbados-Caldera

vandrefalk

Regarding the crew - Pierre and Silvio are here. Also Doramus (

today is his birthday), Rutzie, Brenda, Rose, Brian. Sure I'm forgetting someone or someone's.

Disappointed that Captain Bjarne is not the captain, however he is on the boat for a few days. We have the new captain.

Sounds like there are a lot of familiar faces on board: Capt. Bjarne (at least for a little while), Pierre, Silvio, Mikee :D, Doramus (Happy Birthday!), Rutzie, Brian, Jose, Gideon, etc. - please give them all our best!

Glad to hear you are doing well on board, Zimmy, and that you can still lift that champagne glass! ;) I know the crew will take great care of you on this trip!

Vandrefalk, thanks for checking in. Looking fwd to your reports about all these new ports and your experiences on board.

Yes, Knot, Jose is here.

Interesting couple of days. Did not get off the ship in Grenada -- been there too many times. Signed up for an excursion in Isla Margarita, but it was cancelled and we didn't know in time to book any of the others. So we just went to a nearby beach and then chilled out onboard.

Last night, FPebbles and we had dinner with Capt. Bjarne -- it was delightful! He gets off in Curacao to go home :( While we were at dinner, there was a bit of a "thump" -- and I said I hoped it wasn't an iceberg :) Turns out it was one of the engines, so we missed Le Roques today and are slowly moving towards Curacao. They are flying in someone to work on it. But at least we have internet access today, which we didn't yesterday!

This afternoon they will have a movie (Mamma Mia, which I love) and tonight is the Club reception -- I thought they would open it to everyone, but no -- club members have the lounge and everyone else will be in the library. There is one gentleman who has 150 nights on Sea Goddess and 100+ on SD!

So, all is well -- the crew is as special as ever and works so hard to make sure you are happy. We slept under the starts last night -- Maria puts the egg crate out for us, which really makes it more comfortable.

Not sure if I mentioned it, but the crossing was chartered by a bunch of stargazers! The TOY was closed at night, with all the lights off -- Elisa said she saw 5 shooting stars one night. Sounds like it was very interesting. Just glad it wasn't a party bunch or the crew would have been exhausted!

That's it for today -- will report as I can

Vandrefalk

thanks for the update V. Capt. Smorawski is our favorite and we wish him well. How long is he away for? Probably a couple of months. I always hated it when engines went "thump" on my ships. It was never a good thing. Here's hoping the technician flying in can fix it. The engines are getting a few years on them. Not sure when they might have had a major overhaul. Have fun and keep us posted.:D

We are in Curaçao waiting for the shop to be cleared. Everything is delightful. We personally we're not affected by yesterday becoming an unexpected sea day because that is how we were going to use it that way anyway. But some who we're looking forward to snorkeling May have been disappointed. Yesterday was bouillabaisse for lunch and Dover sole for dinner. And there was a beautiful breeze as we sailed. Who could complain?

The good--

The staff. Wonderful as always, even with new faces. They are working hard to please a full ship, especially with so many who "know the ropes."

Ship's passenger areas are in tip-top shape.

Food is too good. I'm not usually a dessert/sweet eater but have already made too many exceptions.

The company. Haven't stayed up late, but in the hours I've been awake have not witnessed any adult misbehavior. Really enjoying reconnecting with old friends and meeting new people.

The bad--

Internet service was nonexistent for a day, and is still rather slow.

The ugly--

I'm disappointed with missing Columbia and our other stop because of the engine problems. I certainly enjoy my tine on board but I like it best when we are at an island I've been to before and everyone else gets off "my boat." I had a separate tour booked for Cartegena as this was one stop I was lplanning.

Glad to hear everyone is having a good time enjoying the great crew and fabulous food. Wish we could have joined you.

So sorry about the engine problems and having to miss ports.

Fpebbles I am so sorry you missed your private tour in Cartegens. I would be upset too if it were me! I love ports and don't like sea days so I would be an unhappy camper about now!

Looking forward to more reports! How was the Past Guest Cocktail Party?

The good--

The staff. Wonderful as always, even with new faces. They are working hard to please a full ship, especially with so many who "know the ropes."

Ship's passenger areas are in tip-top shape.

Food is too good. I'm not usually a dessert/sweet eater but have already made too many exceptions.

The company. Haven't stayed up late, but in the hours I've been awake have not witnessed any adult misbehavior. Really enjoying reconnecting with old friends and meeting new people.

The bad--

Internet service was nonexistent for a day, and is still rather slow.

The ugly--

I'm disappointed with missing Columbia and our other stop because of the engine problems. I certainly enjoy my tine on board but I like it best when we are at an island I've been to before and everyone else gets off "my boat." I had a separate tour booked for Cartegena as this was one stop I was lplanning.

Thanks for checking in. Cartagena would have been one of my "trips off the boat as well". Sorry you are missing stops. Any updates on the engine? I would think there will be some form of compensation when all the delays are known. I suspect you are making 8 or 9 knots on one engine?

Past guest party was LARGE! The Vandrefalk's were among the couples recognized for most nights on board.

Correct as to making 8-9 knots. The captain gave a very good explanation as to why with the large area of pilot-age at Cartegena it wouldn't work at our present speed.

Correct as to making 8-9 knots. The captain gave a very good explanation as to why with the large area of pilot-age at Cartegena it wouldn't work at our present speed.

Fpebbles, Zimmy, and Vandrefalk, thanks for checking in.

How are things going now - have they fixed the engine? Hope everything is back on track and you are on your way again!

Internet has been sketchy. Everything else is good.

Initial disappointment at extra sea days but crew did all they could to entertain and company offered some compensation so all seems good.

Re the engine the word I hear is that they are flying out a new part but have no concerns re the next several voyages as the distances are short.

We have had dinner outside last two nights, likely as so many requested it. For the first time ever I may have requested to eat inside as it was HOT HOT HOT. The poor servers were dying. Know they were just trying to make us happy tho.

Sorry to be so quiet! Tried to post the other day but cyberspace ate it and the internet has sucked otherwise! Two days at sea (three total for the first nine) and the Canal yesterday. What a fantastic trip!! Took all day, but the locks are amazing and our on-board commentator was very good.

It has turned soooooo hot down here! As Fpebbles said, dinner outside the other night was miserable. The engine won't be fixed for several weeks -- they have to fly parts in (crankshaft, I think) and people to fix it. It won't affect the rest of the CR cruises as distances are short and speed isn't required. However, it does affect the ventilation on the ship -- the lounge and library are really warm instead of the iceboxes they usually are. Fortunately, our cabin is nice and chilly!

Turn-around day -- some 40 of us are staying on and 56 arriving, so we'll have a full ship. First time I've ever seen disembarkation/embarkation by tender!!! Imagine it's a nightmare for the crew.

FPebbles is gone :( -- it was really quite amazing to see the number of crew that asked her about her children -- why they weren't on board and when they were coming back! From all accounts, they are quite remarkable.

Mikee, Manuel and others are gone. Olivier and Francisco are on board and a couple of others I recognize.

Poor Elise, the CAD, was really busy doing on board bookings -- we got some nice compensation for all the challenges this week and missing two ports (Cartegena being the biggie) so lots of folks were taking advantage -- including me :D

Hope this goes through and we'll post as we can!

Vandrefalk

Thanks for the update V. Isla Perico looks like it has a big marina complex (at least on the satellite picture). They use tenders to change at Marigot on occasion as well . It does seem a lot of extra work for the crew, especially those that travel with lots of luggage. The internet access seems to be quite poor. Do they still have the 2 computers in the library or is wi-fi available on deck or in your cabin? I bet the canal was spectacular from SeaDream. We sailed it on Queen Victoria but were quite a ways up above it all on the big ship. Hope the rest of the way goes well for you. We are getting excited about our voyage in less than 2 weeks!:D

It's good to see the still-at-home child, the animals, and my tempurpedic, but all in all I'd rather be on SeaDream!

It was especially difficult to get off with so many staying on for Costa Rica adventures.

We booked one week and two back to backs to look forward to at least.

Certainly there's been concern on this board with changes in management, etc, but on the ship the crew/service are just as wonderful as ever. They have to contend with an aging ship (tho I think a relatively young Carnival had engine problems earlier this year and was dead in the water, wasn't it?) so that will continue to be an issue but as long as I don't grow out of the bathroom by eating all of Garfield's desserts I'll be set!

It's good to see the still-at-home child, the animals, and my tempurpedic, but all in all I'd rather be on SeaDream!

It was especially difficult to get off with so many staying on for Costa Rica adventures.

We booked one week and two back to backs to look forward to at least.

Certainly there's been concern on this board with changes in management, etc, but on the ship the crew/service are just as wonderful as ever. They have to contend with an aging ship (tho I think a relatively young Carnival had engine problems earlier this year and was dead in the water, wasn't it?) so that will continue to be an issue but as long as I don't grow out of the bathroom by eating all of Garfield's desserts I'll be set!

Glad you made it home safely. Yes, the weight gain for us is usually a pound a day. I would not do well on a back to back. :eek: You are right about engine problems. Usually happen to brand new ships and then older ships. SD1 is coming up on 30 years old. Think about the car you were driving 30 years ago. It would take lots of maintenance to keep it looking and running good. Same thing only magnitudes more expensive. We are heading out a week from this Friday so are getting very excited. the internet access seems to be an ongoing issue. Can you use your devices on deck or in the cabins or is it still the two computers in the library? Thanks for all your checking in.

J.

Can you use your devices on deck or in the cabins or is it still the two computers in the library?

When the internet was cooperating I used my iPad everywhere but the pool deck with no noticeable change in speed (that is, slow everywhere).

Even on sea days we were often close enough to land to pick up a signal for phones if one does business that way. I've run up huge bills in the past so had data roaming off and was depending on wifi.

Anxious to hear details about the second leg of Vandrefalk's & Zimmy's b2b cruise....

Wondering what the new passenger mix is like, how the excursions are going (or went), what the weather is like now (has it changed at all), have they met any more CCers on board, etc...

Oh Vandrefalk & Zimmy... can you hear us now? :confused: :D

Edited by CDreamer