SDI - Barbados-Caldera

vandrefalk

I think that is more hype.. Understanding that this engine broke Nov 9th. Our sailing after the be captain boarded who I think was Byrne.. There was a huge bang in the night and I mean huge, we has been slapped for days but this was different. Our next stop which was only a few miles was canceled ..laramanna to punta ****a.

I think the only reason we did not stop was if the 2nd engine went out ,we would be on the front page nationally . I will be interested to see how many stops and how fast sd1 goes on her journeys. Also noticed that Pam officially resigned which is not good for sd , she had an impeccable reputation

I think that is more hype.. Understanding that this engine broke Nov 9th. Our sailing after the be captain boarded who I think was Byrne.. There was a huge bang in the night and I mean huge, we has been slapped for days but this was different. Our next stop which was only a few miles was canceled ..laramanna to punta ****a.

I think the only reason we did not stop was if the 2nd engine went out ,we would be on the front page nationally . I will be interested to see how many stops and how fast sd1 goes on her journeys. Also noticed that Pam officially resigned which is not good for sd , she had an impeccable reputation

janieab,

You are right in that this is not an "overnight fix" I would love to hear how they actually got the part on the yacht. It's not an easy install. There is testing required so this engine will likely not be functioning for some time. Yes the yacht is safe and operational so long as the one remaining engine functions but until no 2 comes back on board then captain cannot outrun bad weather as easily as before. Hopefully all goes well but until a passenger on board confirms no 2 is functioning, I won't believe anything. After all SD still has yet to honor your Dec 24 letter- right?

FT

Correct, they have not honored!!! In addition they are now saying that the 200 shipboard and spa credit (pp) was in exchange for port fees $400 pp ($800 total) and not for the inconvenience that they wrote in the letter.. I smell financial and serious management problems . I have not written my synopsis of the cruise as I have been sick and waiting for surgery .

I really hate to say this, but I smell serious financial issues at SeaDream. I say this as someone who spent 30 years working for a large international financial institution, and who was involved in many commercial restructurings and bankruptcies. I hope my smell sense on this is totally off base and that SD will go on for many years offering a unique and wonderful small ship cruising experience. But the early signals are there and it is up to SD to clear the air.

Edited by commodoredave

I share the Commodore's concern. When we cancelled our remaining booking last week, and senior management asked why in an email, I replied that among other reasons we didn't feel comfortable with that much money on deposit 7-8 months out from the voyage. No response at all even though to their credit they asked why but once we answered candidly our candor was not reciprocated.

Here we go again with the active imagination Chicken Little brigade. Commodore, in making your financial assessment, are you aware that the ships are both paid off ? SeaDream is debt free . This was proudly announced by the Captain on a not long ago voyage. Not a bad position for a company to be in actually.

As to the theory that ongoing maintenance is an issue, as was put forward recently ( pointing to the soon demise of the company), and based on a smell of sewage, this is an issue that goes back to the days of Sea Goddess. It happens every once in a while, and then goes away. Sometimes you detect it briefly in a corridor, sometimes on the Starboard side by the pool deck. Although it fits nicely into the theory that SeaDream is falling apart, anyone who has spent more than a week on the ship knows that it has always been a sporadic event.

Don't panic. Call me what you like, but I for one am not at all concerned about having my deposits on future voyages.

When I go for my vacation, I go because I enjoy the casual atmosphere and top notch service offered by SeaDream. There are aspects and company policies I perhaps don't agree with, but I ignore what I don't like in favor of what I do like. I don't need to know every detail about the company nor the owner to enjoy my time onboard.

I was once kicked off a cruise long in advance when it was chartered. SeaDream happily paid our airline change fee. A few years ago, the departure city of the crossing was changed due to a dry dock bankruptcy. Again SeaDream paid for our necessary flight and hotel changes.

When I board in a few weeks, it will be with the assurance that the ports are so close, one engine is more than enough to get me from island to island (where I will remain on board anyway)

The April crossing is another thing, but if for some reason the engine is not fixed, I have ZERO concern that SeaDream will not handle the situation with the same professionalism as in the past.

We were also told that the ships were going to be refit with brand new engines at the next drydock, but what one hears over dinner isn't exactly "official" news.

I toast you all with my half FULL glass of champagne.

Here we go again with the active imagination Chicken Little brigade. Commodore, in making your financial assessment, are you aware that the ships are both paid off ? SeaDream is debt free . This was proudly announced by the Captain on a not long ago voyage. Not a bad position for a company to be in actually.

As to the theory that ongoing maintenance is an issue, as was put forward recently ( pointing to the soon demise of the company), and based on a smell of sewage, this is an issue that goes back to the days of Sea Goddess. It happens every once in a while, and then goes away. Sometimes you detect it briefly in a corridor, sometimes on the Starboard side by the pool deck. Although it fits nicely into the theory that SeaDream is falling apart, anyone who has spent more than a week on the ship knows that it has always been a sporadic event.

Don't panic. Call me what you like, but I for one am not at all concerned about having my deposits on future voyages.

When I go for my vacation, I go because I enjoy the casual atmosphere and top notch service offered by SeaDream. There are aspects and company policies I perhaps don't agree with, but I ignore what I don't like in favor of what I do like. I don't need to know every detail about the company nor the owner to enjoy my time onboard.

I was once kicked off a cruise long in advance when it was chartered. SeaDream happily paid our airline change fee. A few years ago, the departure city of the crossing was changed due to a dry dock bankruptcy. Again SeaDream paid for our necessary flight and hotel changes.

When I board in a few weeks, it will be with the assurance that the ports are so close, one engine is more than enough to get me from island to island (where I will remain on board anyway)

The April crossing is another thing, but if for some reason the engine is not fixed, I have ZERO concern that SeaDream will not handle the situation with the same professionalism as in the past.

We were also told that the ships were going to be refit with brand new engines at the next drydock, but what one hears over dinner isn't exactly "official" news.

I toast you all with my half FULL glass of champagne.

Would you still feel the same if you missed all your scheduled ports and were refunded nothing but your port fees even though SD promised in writing a 35% discount on a future cruise?

FT

Hi FT

With your considerable experience with SD, don't you think that there is some missing information in this story? While it is true that SeaDream does some things we don't always think are logical, I actually don't think that they are so stupid as to give a letter to all of the passengers offering an additional discount, and then renege on the deal. That seems a little beyond reality....... CC reality maybe.

cheers to you.

Hi FT

With your considerable experience with SD, don't you think that there is some missing information in this story? While it is true that SeaDream does some things we don't always think are logical, I actually don't think that they are so stupid as to give a letter to all of the passengers offering an additional discount, and then renege on the deal. That seems a little beyond reality....... CC reality maybe.

cheers to you.

Hello again -

Yes, prior to last year's cruise with unruly children I would have said the same - that SD would make up for its mistakes. In the past when a cruise was cancelled for a charter, SD made us whole with full reimbursement of fare and all non refundable costs, including hotel and airfare upon submission of proof. I was on that same crossing with you and the dry dock bankruptcy. On another voyage, when I was injured on an excursion due to the fault of the excursion operator/unsuitability of equipment used, SD refunded the cost of that excursion. On another voyage with some huge issues caused by other passengers, SD offered a significant discount on a future voyage. But last year - when the pool was unusable for most of the voyage due to children and multiple complaints - SD went dead silent. Nothing. We had a very expensive but unpleasant week while those causing the unpleasantness paid much less than we did and SD never even apologized for the failure to enforce the rules of behaviour. So yes, I think there has been a change. Do I think a refund of port fees is sufficient for missing ports when SD knew that the mechanical issues would make those ports not reachable due to distance? No, I don't. Do I think a letter saying only 2 ports would be missed, when all ports were missed and only the port fees reimbursed is the right thing to do? No. Somebody at SD should have been able to calculate distances.

If Carnival had done the same thing - this would be all over CC and the news. In my business we don't treat our customers that way. And I don't think its the right thing to do. I am not going to speculate as to the reason - but something has changed and it is not in the passenger's favor.

If SD offered everyone the ability to cancel without penalty and make whole for non refundable costs and we don't know, then yes, I have judged them unfairly and I will apologize all over the place.

FT

Edited by frequent traveler

Craig and I are getting back on today with a lot of old timers. I'll miss several of you we got to now on the nov 9 b2b when this all started. Hopefully the engine will be fixed and seadream will be back to the seadream we all love. I'll post a little if Att works.

Hi, CWAJ45 -- wish we were back on board with you! Hope you have a wonderful time!

This poor board has turned into the SD bashing board, it seems -- and I really think a lot of it is unjustified. No one knows why Pam left -- she could have decided it wasn't a good fit for her; she might have had a better offer; she might have decided she wants to go pick strawberries! No one but she knows, and I think it's a little over the top to immediately go worst case and decide she and Atle had issues. They may have, but no one knows. And do you really think SD is going to give you a blow by blow on what might be happening with the engines?? As in we found one -- no, it's the wrong one -- there's one here -- but it will take a week to get it or do testing or etc., etc., etc. Come on. It's my understanding the repairs can be made without taking the ship out of service and that both will get super overhauls in dry dock. Since engines are sort of critical to a cruise ship, I can't imagine that they would ever give it short shrift.

I'm also wondering about the discount offered -- the poster talked about "routine" maintenance when Adrienne's letter never mentioned that word and I understand the on board booking bonus and the on board credit were honored for those that chose to book on-board,but not extended if they left the yacht without booking (except for the 35 percent that was promised beforehand). I'm not sure what Janieab was trying to get, but if she was looking for something extra, I'm not surprised she didn't get it.

Finally, poor Andreas just isn't high enough up the food chain to make policy. And I can just about guarantee that Bob Lepisto will never make a corporate statement or policy decision on this board -- there would be other avenues for him. And those of you who have now decided to worry about groups -- groups and charters have always been SD's bread and butter. The only problem is when the groups try to take over. Management did a great job of shutting down the Brazilians on our cruise; thereafter, they were no problem at all.So, can we maybe get back to talking about ports and who is on board and what the food was and all those things we enjoy so much? The sky isn't falling and it would be nice not to hear so much negativity, unless we know something for an absolute fact. So, it's time to go check the champagne stock!

Vandrefalk

Edited by vandrefalk

Vandrefalk,

Bravo for your post!

We couldn't have put this better ourselves.

We are so looking forward to our SD1 trip departing very soon on 1/25, and we are contemplating booking the 9 day Barbados to Barbados trip departing on 11/6 while onboard.

Hopefully, our fellow guests onboard will be a positive-thinking group.

Variety is indeed the spice of life and this board should be no exception. Just as it shouldn't be only negative as SD has many good qualities that brought many of us now with concerns back for many multiple voyages at least until now, neither should it be a puff piece for SD either. Thankfully people can start and join specific topic threads that interest them and skip those that do not, keeping in mind that after all the word "critic" is in the name of the underlying web site!

Variety is indeed the spice of life and this board should be no exception. Just as it shouldn't be only negative as SD has many good qualities that brought many of us now with concerns back for many multiple voyages at least until now, neither should it be a puff piece for SD either. Thankfully people can start and join specific topic threads that interest them and skip those that do not, keeping in mind that after all the word "critic" is in the name of the underlying web site!

I heartily agree with you, JES.

Almost all of the criticisms have been of the nature "we love the SD crew and product, but just wish management would do a better job of letting us know what's happening so we can have more confidence going forward with bookings."

That's not very negative, and is extremely easy for SD to address.

Vandrefalk, since I have often read your postings and appreciated your insights even when we disagree, PLEASE read flygod's detailed review of the ill-fated voyage from Colon, Panama to San Juan. The horrendous problems they encountered and the lack of head office support to the fabulous crew are simply facts and shouldn't be ignored by any of us. Those of us who have joined flygod in not rebooking future voyages do so not because we are negative by nature but because we are educated by experience as documented by flygod.

I am curious if those on board have seen any different crew members or works around. We were on board a couple of years ago and they had a special work crew on board to work on the lifeboats. Their presence was very obvious. The regular crew are not trained to replace the damaged engine parts, plus they have to actually run the ship, and there are not a lot of them to begin with. Can anyone inboard report concerning the presence of any extra below decks crew?

Edited by zqvol

Can't say as to the present situation, but on the Athens Mumbai crossing, we had onboard a 3 man British crew called the Oily Rags. They were there to work on something specific in the Engine Room as we sailed along. We dined with them the night the whole crew joined us for dinner Topside.

Possibly in the category of Best Ever of our 20-some voyages with SD.

This is the reason I find the "critical" aspect of this forum to be so tedious sometimes. People ( maybe with too much time on their hands) get caught up in the minutia of Oslo and Miami, and they totally miss out on the true experience onboard. The reality for me is that for the days that I am privileged to be onboard, the crew spoil me from morning to night, the food is generally wonderful, much better than I would be serving myself at home, and the company is often delightful.

Have things changed over the years? Of course, and so have we changed. In the beginning the caviar was nonstop. Obviously people took advantage. Is the wine quaffable?' Certainly, but its also free. What do you expect? We can upgrade to a better bottle if the mood strikes, just like anywhere else. Its not such a big deal, really.

You have noticed that there aren't as many potato chips in the package as there used to be, the leather on your Volvo seats isn't what it used to be. Adjust to it.

It is happening in every aspect of your life, and certainly that includes SeaDream. The balance between cost and fares is ever changing. Even though a few seem hell bent on pushing their Demise of Sea Dream conspiracy theory, the reality for me remains that for the time I am onboard, it is pretty damn good. I don't need to agree with every policy to enjoy myself just the same.

But everyone is different..... Cheers

Abneki, I'm with you!

And Jess, I did read Flygod's post and responded to it. Most of what happened on that cruise couldn't be avoided or changed. And, Commodore, it's not just "management doesn't do a good job" -- I have said before that I wish Miami and/or Oslo or both would do a better job of explaining certain things -- but I don't take that thread to the point of going bankrupt, belly up, family friendly, etc., etc., etc. as many of you seem to do. And, for me, the wine is fine :) But, to borrow a phrase from Disney Jen -- your mileage may vary.

Zqvol -- I'm sure there are special crew on now -- there were several contingents on from Miami and other places during the first days of the crisis. You are right, the regular crew doesn't have the expertise and SD wasted no time in getting the right people in to assess damage, make determinations and start the repair process. Any of you who deal with machines know that it's not a quick take-a-look and decide what the problem/solution is and then go forward. I suspect there was a good bit of try this and that and eliminate this and add that, and on and on. Not at all surprised that it's taken this long. But I do have to say that seldom have I seen a Chief Engineer look happier to get off than Gunnar when he left the ship in Curacao (I think). :D

Vandrefalk

Can't say as to the present situation, but on the Athens Mumbai crossing, we had onboard a 3 man British crew called the Oily Rags. They were there to work on something specific in the Engine Room as we sailed along. We dined with them the night the whole crew joined us for dinner Topside.

Possibly in the category of Best Ever of our 20-some voyages with SD.

This is the reason I find the "critical" aspect of this forum to be so tedious sometimes. People ( maybe with too much time on their hands) get caught up in the minutia of Oslo and Miami, and they totally miss out on the true experience onboard. The reality for me is that for the days that I am privileged to be onboard, the crew spoil me from morning to night, the food is generally wonderful, much better than I would be serving myself at home, and the company is often delightful.

Have things changed over the years? Of course, and so have we changed. In the beginning the caviar was nonstop. Obviously people took advantage. Is the wine quaffable?' Certainly, but its also free. What do you expect? We can upgrade to a better bottle if the mood strikes, just like anywhere else. Its not such a big deal, really.

You have noticed that there aren't as many potato chips in the package as there used to be, the leather on your Volvo seats isn't what it used to be. Adjust to it.

It is happening in every aspect of your life, and certainly that includes SeaDream. The balance between cost and fares is ever changing. Even though a few seem hell bent on pushing their Demise of Sea Dream conspiracy theory, the reality for me remains that for the time I am onboard, it is pretty damn good. I don't need to agree with every policy to enjoy myself just the same.

But everyone is different..... Cheers

Just my opinion, but this kind of attitude misses the main point and only encourages further bad management by SD. Almost everyone loves the crew and product, but wants to know more about key issues and when they will be adequately addressed. To ignore this point only encourages more bad management.

To goRRRdon: Bullying? C'mon on....:(

I am happy to make a minor adjustment for you:

"Please do not let a pair of naive acolytes who seek to "belittle" others (eg. labelling others Chicken Little to those they do not agree with etc..) into not posting your genuine concerns and opinions as well as your love of all that is Sea Dream".

You make no other criticism of the posting, so I thank you for your essential agreement with the posting.

First thank you for all of those who posted reviews from the Jan 4 2014 sailing, just by reading the reviews it simple to see there were and are problems. Personally I think the "chicken little" is an attempt at intimidation but a stupid one, this is an open forum and "sticks and stones will break my bones but names will never hurt me" So Chicken Little, run home to Mama.

Seadream did not deliver on peoples dreams, NOT everyone on this boat had sailed 19 or 20 times, some had worked and saved very hard to experience all the positive things that were advertised in the brochure and reviewed right here. champagne and caviar in the Ocean blue, bbq on the beach, un chartered ports, movies under the stairs, room service, toys from the back deck etc. Some people were on their last trips, never to repeated. The shame of it, Oslo or Miami knew on NOV 9 (six + weeks) that this boat would not operate as sold, they owed it to their clients to tell the truth. It is pure fraud to wait until all cancellation penalties have passed before say oh, by the way we blew an engine way back when, that is not what the contract says, Yes, the service was good, could of been better, staff was pretty stressed during our boarding in Colon. We will never get these days back, everyone I met made the best of it, well except for the karaoke entrainment from ships doctor..PLEASE they promised a guitar player. I met wonderful people, came with great friends and experienced an adventure I had not bargained for. Its not what I paid for! The fact the the cruise line line reneged on its offer is another fraud by the line, something is not right, the crew knew it, many post know it and who knows may Chicken Little knows it...maybe we need to listen before the big bad wolf comes. We got a second letter apolgizing for the confusion?? it stated that the boat was sea worthy and had been verified by the coast guard in San Juan..of course first time since Nov 9 that we were in San Juan was Jan 11th. Were we sea worthy 1000 mile open sea....I think we were lucky, None met the new Captain but we all remember him saying "port cancelled due to high and dangerous seas.........