Boyfriends Birth Certificate Does Not Match ID

melonigomez

What is missing from this story? How could boyfriend get a CA driver's license with a different last name from the name on his BC?

OP, your BF will be denied boarding. He must have a valid DL and an original BC. Think about it - how would immigration even know it was his BC if the names don't match?

Very odd story.

What is missing from this story? How could boyfriend get a CA driver's license with a different last name from the name on his BC?

OP, your BF will be denied boarding. He must have a valid DL and an original BC. Think about it - how would immigration even know it was his BC if the names don't match?

Very odd story.

Maybe in California you don't need a birth certificate for your driver's license? If that's the case anyone with a suspended license could just go and get another, right?

I thought that the names not only had to match, but had to match exactly. No Richard on the birth certificate and Dickie on the driver's license.:p

You will of course guarantee that he boards and if not will give the OP back all the money?

I only pointed out that there is nothing in the regulations that requires the names to match and our own experience with documents not matching.

Us, this is going to be a problem. With different names on the BC and DL, you have no proof that your BF is a citizen and entitled to be in the US.

There must be a legal document somewhere that did the name change, or he should never have received the DL in that name.

Us, this is going to be a problem. With different names on the BC and DL, you have no proof that your BF is a citizen and entitled to be in the US.

There must be a legal document somewhere that did the name change, or he should never have received the DL in that name.

Go back and read the original post...the mom never did a legal name change, or never registered it (whatever is required). EM

He WILL have a problem boarding.

This. Unless, he has a passport. Otherwise, he's going to have a problem. I have no passport but I travel with my BC and ID. Since I'm married, not once but twice, I have to provide a copy of my 1st marriage license (showing name change from BC), divorce paperwork and 2nd marriage license (showing name change from previous marriage). They will not let him board that boat without documentation showing the name change. UNLESS he has a passport.

I only pointed out that there is nothing in the regulations that requires the names to match and our own experience with documents not matching.

Tell us how it works when you use an name such as John Smith name on an airline ticket and then use your driver license with a different name to get by TSA.

Do it and then say you have personal experience that the names don't need to match.

Also, why don't you point pout where n the government WEB site that states it does not matter if the IDS you use for a passport don't matter.

Again, if the OP cannot board will you give them the money they are out because of your assurance that the government does not require names to match. Why didn't you put up or shut up?

Edited by Donray

My last name is technically hyphenated, the airlines run it all together without the hyphen. TSA doesn't care about this slight anomaly. They would care if the name was entirely different.

Passport control in Greece was concerned that my name on my cruise docs had no hyphen or middle initial, which was different from my passport.

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

Edited by ducklite

Strange... How did he get a DL that isn't in his legal name in the first place....

Even getting a passport now may be tough because you need matching birth cert, drivers license, etc.

I agree with one of the posters above who said getting a new DL in his legal name may be the quickest fix before getting a legal name change and passport.

When I got my passport I applied using the name I go by, not the name on my birth certificate, I didn't legally change it. I had to supply proof that I'd been going by this other name for the past 5 years. So I sent in copies of my pay stubs from my state gov't job (I just sent in the January 1st stub for 5 years), subscription copies from Sunset magazine and National Geographic. It isn't very hard to do this, just that there are extra hoops one has to jump through, but it certainly can be done. Then again this was pre 9-11.

Edited by Treven

When I got my passport I applied using the name I go by, not the name on my birth certificate, I didn't legally change it. I had to supply proof that I'd been going by this other name for the past 5 years. So I sent in copies of my pay stubs from my state gov't job (I just sent in the January 1st stub for 5 years), subscription copies from Sunset magazine and National Geographic. It isn't very hard to do this, just that there are extra hoops one has to jump through, but it certainly can be done. Then again this was pre 9-11.

Post 9-1-1 is a very different world.

How did he get a drivers license in that name if his birth certificate has a different name? Didn't he have to show his BC to get the DL?

I just got a new license, and let me tell you, the difference between now with the enhanced DL and when I got my last DL in 2005 was significant.

I had to show my passport and BC, plus the bridging document (marriage license) even though my passport and current license already had my hyphenated married name. I also needed my SS card, and they gave me a hard time as that doesn't have my married name, just my maiden name. There were other documents including current bank statement and deed to prove where I lived.

I don't know how someone could get a license without at least the basics matching.

I just got a new license, and let me tell you, the difference between now with the enhanced DL and when I got my last DL in 2005 was significant.

I had to show my passport and BC, plus the bridging document (marriage license) even though my passport and current license already had my hyphenated married name. I also needed my SS card, and they gave me a hard time as that doesn't have my married name, just my maiden name. There were other documents including current bank statement and deed to prove where I lived.

I don't know how someone could get a license without at least the basics matching.

There is the possibility that the drivers license is fake.

Tell us how it works when you use an name such as John Smith name on an airline ticket and then use your driver license with a different name to get by TSA.

Do it and then say you have personal experience that the names don't need to match.

Also, why don't you point pout where n the government WEB site that states it does not matter if the IDS you use for a passport don't matter.

Again, if the OP cannot board will you give them the money they are out because of your assurance that the government does not require names to match. Why didn't you put up or shut up?

We aren't talking about the TSA regulations for boarding an airplane, we are talking about the DHS regulations for a closed loop cruise. The language that you quoted is taken from the regulations and they make absolutely no reference to the names having to match (and if it were that big a deal then the language would be there). Why didn't I put up or shut up??? What, are we on a play ground?:rolleyes:

Ducklite -- just curious about how your state does enhanced DL's -- are the optional? Here in WA, we can get a regular DL, with pretty much the same procedure as any other state. However, if you want an "enhanced" DL, it's a little more money, additional ID, and LOTS of background questions. Don't think you need an SS card for the process, but a valid passport comes in handy. Lots of folks like to have them here, since you can use them to travel to Canada (by road or ferry). :cool:

Post 9-1-1 is a very different world.

That's very true, ducklite. I was able to board without my birth certificate when I forgot it once in the mid 90s! :eek: Yes, I was very fortunate and that never happened again. I got a passport upon returning home after the cruise. :o

sparks1093, it appears that Princess cares very much that on “closed-loop” voyages, a passenger's original certified Birth Certificate presented together with a valid government-issued photo identification match.

The following is an excerpt from Princess that provides necessary documentation info. I highlighted some of the pertinent areas.

The countries visited during your cruise have specific document requirements for cruise ship passengers. These requirements include passport, visa and vaccination certificates where applicable. Requirements will vary based on the ports visited as well as on your citizenship. Please note that it is your sole responsibility to obtain and have available the proper travel and health documents that are necessary for air travel, cruise check-in and disembarkation at the various ports of call and for re-entry into the appropriate country of origin. If you do not possess the proper documentation you will be denied boarding without any refund of the cruise or cruisetour fare.

U.S. AND CANADIAN CITIZENS AND PERMANENT RESIDENTS

Please review the section below to determine the requirements for your cruise. Cruise specific information may also be found in the Cruise Personalizer under ”Notifications” in “Your Itinerary”section.

1) Passports are required for all international air travel to and from the United States, regardless of age and citizenship. This includes air travel to and from Canada, Bermuda, the Caribbean, and Mexico.

2) Passports are required for all international cruises including: Africa, Asia, Australia, Central & South America, Europe, India, New Zealand, South Pacific and Tahiti. Additionally, Caribbean and Panama Canal cruises that embark and/or disembark in non-U.S. ports will require passports.

3) As of June 1, 2009, Passports or Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) compliant documents are required for domestic cruises including: Alaska, Bermuda, Canada, Caribbean, Hawaii, Mexico and Panama Canal. Neither oral nor written declarations of citizenship are accepted.

a) U.S. and Canadian citizens ages 16 and above traveling on domestic cruises may present one of the following valid WHTI-compliant documents:

Passport Book RECOMMENDED travel document; accepted for travel by air, land and sea

US Passport Card Limited to land and sea border crossings

Enhanced Driver’s License (EDL) Limited to land and sea border crossings NEXUS Card Accepted for land and sea border crossings. Air travel is limited to participating airports. For more information visit http://www.cbp.gov

SENTRI and FAST Cards Limited to land and sea border crossings

For information regarding WHTI compliant documents, please visit http://www.getyouhome.gov.

b) U.S. and Canadian citizens ages 15 years and younger may present an original or copy of their birth certificate, a naturalization certificate or citizenship card in lieu of the above WHTI compliant documents on Domestic sailings only.

c) U.S. citizens traveling on U.S. roundtrip or “closed-loop” voyages may also travel with an original certified Birth Certificate presented together with a valid government-issued photo identification. In the event the names on these documents do not match due to a name change, please ensure to present appropriate legal documentation to support the name change. In this case, the name on the booking should match the name on the valid government-issued photo identification.

U.S. domestic roundtrip sailings must embark and disembark in the same U.S. port. These voyages include:

Alaska roundtrip from San Francisco or Seattle (roundtrip Seattle Cruisetours excluded)

Canada/New England roundtrip from New York

Caribbean roundtrip from Fort Lauderdale, New York or San Juan

Hawaii roundtrip from Los Angeles

Mexico roundtrip from Los Angeles or San Francisco

Panama Canal roundtrip from Fort Lauderdale or Los Angeles

Please be aware that even if your cruise does not require a passport to sail, in the event of an emergency should you be required to unexpectedly depart a vessel prior to the end of the cruise, a passport would be required to disembark the ship in a foreign country and re-enter the U.S. by air. We therefore strongly recommend that all passengers are in possession of a valid passport.

d) U.S. Permanent Residents are required to present a valid permanent resident document. See below for acceptable documents:

Permanent Resident Card (ARC/I-55 card)

Temporary ARC/I-55 card and valid government issued photo identification

Expired ARC/I-55 card and form I-797 and valid government issued photo identification

Passport with “ARC” stamp in the passport

OP be very careful. There are some people that don't know what they are saying about that IDs don't have to match. They most likely never applied for a passport, never tried to board a ship with last names that don't match, they think that the TSA has a different set of requirements and that there documentation states that all ids must match. It does not yet no one would buy a ticket in a name other then what is on the ID they would show the TSA agent.

Again, like most other have told you, have him get a government id that matches the name on the birth certificate then he need to officially change his name .

I just did a check for driver's licenses in Ca, and they will accept a birth certificate using a different name BUT the person must present a bridge document such as a court order, marriage license or other legal document noting the name change.

Again, if the names don't match, you're not going to cruise.

As someone said, TSA does care about names. Once, my TA messed up and misspelled my name on my airline ticket. The TSA agent wouldn't let me pass. I had to go down to ticketing and plead my case. They issued another boarding pass.

Ducklite -- just curious about how your state does enhanced DL's -- are the optional? Here in WA, we can get a regular DL, with pretty much the same procedure as any other state. However, if you want an "enhanced" DL, it's a little more money, additional ID, and LOTS of background questions. Don't think you need an SS card for the process, but a valid passport comes in handy. Lots of folks like to have them here, since you can use them to travel to Canada (by road or ferry). :cool:

EDLs are not issued in FL, so I suspect Ducklite is confusing an enhanced drivers license (which serves as both ID and proof of citizenship and is only available in 4 US states and 4 Canadian provinces) with drivers licenses that comply with the federal REAL ID law.

Edited by njhorseman

A couple of things to keep in mind:

(1) What TSA requires for ID at the airport has absolutely nothing to do with what documentation is required to board a cruise. TSA doesn't have a role in cruise ship documentation requirements. US Customs and Border Protection makes and enforces the rules for cruise ships. So those of you who keep wagging your tongues (or your typing fingers) about what TSA does should just stop right now, because you're just muddying the waters with irrelevant information.

(2) Regardless of the letter of the CBP rules for closed loop cruises, cruise lines have the right to impose more stringent requirements than the CBP regulation requires. So while the CBP rule does not specifically address the situation where the names on an ID and a proof of citizenship document do not match, the cruise lines are free to impose a requirement for a bridge document that confirms the two documents belong to the same person, and some specify that requirement in their FAQs.

That was probably the wrong term. It's a higher level of security with a layered watermark, bar code, and other things built into the license. The State of FL requires a SS number to issue a license. I believe that all States are starting to phase the more secure license with a higher level of documentation in to cut down on fake licenses.

EDLs are not issued in FL, so I suspect Ducklite is confusing an enhanced drivers license (which serves as both ID and proof of citizenship and is only available in 4 US states and 4 Canadian provinces) with drivers licenses that comply with the federal REAL ID law.

Yea, my mistake. Sorry for the confusion.

We aren't talking about the TSA regulations for boarding an airplane, we are talking about the DHS regulations for a closed loop cruise. The language that you quoted is taken from the regulations and they make absolutely no reference to the names having to match (and if it were that big a deal then the language would be there). Why didn't I put up or shut up??? What, are we on a play ground?:rolleyes:

You also have to consider the requirements of the other countries the ship is stopping in. The cruise line needs to make sure anyone boarding has the ID required by any foreign country the ship is visiting. I don't know of any which is going to allow mismatched ID's.

That was probably the wrong term. It's a higher level of security with a layered watermark, bar code, and other things built into the license. The State of FL requires a SS number to issue a license. I believe that all States are starting to phase the more secure license with a higher level of documentation in to cut down on fake licenses.

Well, IMHO -- if you have to go through all that aggravation, your state might as well go ahead and issue you something that you could do some limited travel with. :cool:

Of course, even enhanced DL's (like Passport Cards) don't do you any good, if you are doing international travel by air. :rolleyes: