Boyfriends Birth Certificate Does Not Match ID

melonigomez

I had absolutely no problem getting on board with what I had. I doubt I even needed the form from the SS office showing the name change. Both people who checked my paperwork coming and going were very easy going and it was no problem.

Thank you for coming back to let us know...and I am glad you were able to board and I hope you enjoyed your cruise.

This is off topic, in that it gives no advice for the specific situation. But people mentioned the "no birth certificate" scenario, so I'm posting how I solved that in my case since this might help somebody. I needed a passport. I had no birth certificate. There are several alternate means of identification that are accepted. I got a notarized statement from my older brother and my dad, saying that they knew me to be who I said I was, but I couldn't manage a second acceptable piece of documentation until I tried census records. The census record done one or two years after my birth, listing me as me was acceptable. So, census records are a good bet when all else fails. I got the passport, and you can bet I'll never let it expire!

Ok first of all, no one here was of any help. Telling me "you just need to get a name change done!" or "Well I have no idea how this is possible because of xxxxxx" really was not helping any. Obviously I know what I need to do to get this fixed in the long run but stating painfully obvious solutions like "get a name change" helps no one.

So, I believe I got it figured out. My mother was remarried in 1989. At the time she didn't do a legal name change through the courts. She did however, go to the SS office and show them a marriage license and had my name changed with the SS office and had a new SS card printed out for me. The person I spoke to, said this was common for name changes back in the day and they really didn't require as much as they do now. So, with that new SS card with my name on it I was eventually able to get a DL with that same name. bada-bing-bada-boom I'm a brand new person with a new name which was not done legally through the courts as a "name change"

I have in hand a letter from the SS office, signed, dated, and stamped that shows my name was changed with their office in 1990. It is very clear and looks very official so I am hoping this will suffice as showing the bridge between my old and new name.

And guys, before wasting your time and responding with some BS like "well son, you just gotta get this fixed, that's all" please at least try to offer some kind of unique solution or some advice that could actually help.

Hopefully this helps someone in the future in the same situation. Thanks

Ill report back and let you guys know how it went next week.

I had absolutely no problem getting on board with what I had. I doubt I even needed the form from the SS office showing the name change. Both people who checked my paperwork coming and going were very easy going and it was no problem.

May I respectfully suggest you now go forward and get a passport. Once you have that in hand, you will never again have to worry about having proper, acceptable travel/ID document in your possession. Why go through that worry again? Just because it worked this time, why worry about it next time?

Happy it worked out for you..

(Please forgive me if anyone thinks my suggestion is 'obvious' and I shouldn't have bothered. :o)

Edited by sail7seas

One of these days you may need better proof: either for a different travel purpose, or just a cruise where the desk is manned by someone who may be more closely following possibly more strict regulations.

I would suggest you get your "ducks in a row".