Curious as to why there are no female CD's

CaribbeanLuver

Several years ago we had a female CD on the Spirit. (Not Jen - we've had her twice - she's great)

I don't remember her name. Her fiancé was the Environment Officer. They shared a cabin -- one of their assigned cabins was her "walk-in closet" :D

We had a female Maitre D once. And one day we saw her cleaning the tables on Lido. She did far better and faster than other waiters working there. Apparently she worked as a waitress before and worked her way up.

The phases "breaking new ground" and "women at the helm" probably shouldn't be used in the same sentence. :eek: I thought "not breaking new ground" was lesson number one at Captain's school. ;)

Perhaps I should have phrased it "breaking the glass ceiling" instead :)

I just wish I could understand what the captains are saying when they make their announcements on the PA.

For some reason the Capts on RCCL who come from Norway speak much better English than the Capts on Carnival.

Wish their English was clearer so we could understand at least half of what they are saying.

For some reason the Capts on RCCL who come from Norway speak much better English than the Capts on Carnival.

Wish their English was clearer so we could understand at least half of what they are saying.

Well, it certainly is true that some do better than others. We have had discussions with some captains we have met that are well spoken. Others wh we hear over the PA sometiems not so much.

Norwegian (if it is a dialect/language) might transfer better to english than Italian. It does make one wonder why one lines captains come from the same country. I thought in seeing one of the documentaries on I think the Oasis or FOTS that the captain was from the US, but I could be mistaken.

Frankly, I don't care if any of the Captains speak English clearly of not. Hey they speak better English than I speak Italian or Norwegian, or Swedish, or ......

As long as they know Port from Starbard, Forward from Reverse, and don't hit anything I'm good. :D

I don't know why it would be any more difficult for a woman to be away from her family for extended periods of time than it would be for a man. In any position.

You'd have to ask them.

If I had a nickel for every woman that told me she wants to stay home with her children or wishes she could stay home with their children I'd be retired living on easy street.

Some don't believe it, but women are different than men. Very different.

Fortunately for our children the "motherly" instinct is alive and well.

Frankly, I don't care if any of the Captains speak English clearly of not. Hey they speak better English than I speak Italian or Norwegian, or Swedish, or ......

As long as they know Port from Starbard, Forward from Reverse, and don't hit anything I'm good. :D

Love it! Couldn't agree more:)

Your comment brings a chuckle to my mind !!

I asked one of the crew on another line what the "CRUISE" pin meant.

The reply was "Cant Really Understand Italian - Speak English "

You'd have to ask them.

If I had a nickel for every woman that told me she wants to stay home with her children or wishes she could stay home with their children I'd be retired living on easy street.

Some don't believe it, but women are different than men. Very different.

Fortunately for our children the "motherly" instinct is alive and well.

I hear that a lot too , but usually from women who already have children and work at "jobs" just to pay the bills .

A lot of young women just out of school with no ties are opting to get themselves established in their "careers" that they went to school for. A house, husband and kids are just not on their radar right now. Maybe they will in a few years , maybe not.

Being June Cleaver isn't the only option for a young woman out of school these days (and terrific for them).

My oldest DD 28, is having a ball traveling the world with her company, she has gotten 2 very impressive promotions , has a gorgeous apartment in New York City, and lives a pretty Sex in the City life when she is actually home and in town. A couple of the girls she has been friends with since 1st grade are the same way . Two of the girls in that group already are married with 2 and 3 kids. Its all about options .

Risa Barnes started with Carnival as a bar waitress, and as she loves to brag has done every job on the ship except for Captain...and someday...

Risa started with Carnival in 1992 so she has a lot of experience.

On our cruise last week on the Fantasy, a man asked her why she did not serve on any larger ships. Some seem to think she is on the Fantasy (oldest and smallest ship in the Fleet) because she is a woman. But she is there by choice. She served on the Celebration before and now the Fantasy because she loves the small ships and the ability to get out and really meet people, which is not easy to do on a larger ship.

And, Risa loves to do the small individual things. By her own admission she does not sing or dance. Some of her jokes are pretty old too, but she sill is a joy to be around. Of course, she also loves the fact that the ship is ported in Charleston, and she is a South Caroline girl.

BTW...last week we actually chose the Fantasy because she was on it. And she turned a cruise of lousy weather, and still made it fun.

JB

I've been on lots of ships and had lots CD's that I really did not notice or thought were a bit stuffy/boring/etc, not Risa. Risa is one of the best, does wonderful things for many cruisers every cruise. I would book a cruise specifically because she was on it. We do the Fantasy because it's so close and a "smaller" ship, BUT wow does she make a difference.