Husband wants Royal Caribbean! 1st timers

Every option someone posts I think "yeah that would be perfect!" Haha!

I think just getting on a cruise period will be perfect!

I do think I am persuaded away from driving to Miami or ft lauderdale though. That is a LONG drive!

So now I've got some great recommendations out of Tampa and port canaveral.

Thanks for the insight. More looking to do now!!

That's interesting. According to my MIL (a retired teacher) there's a law in PA about teachers not working on Good Friday that's why all our public schools still have the break the week before Easter, or Thursday/Friday & the week after Easter, no matter where it falls in the semester.

Wow! We always have school on Good Friday. Our private Parochial schools always have their Spring Break around Easter. It's interesting how different things can be depending on where you live. I'm actually pretty amazed (in a good way) that they still have a state law that protects a religious holiday.

I wouldnt think you would need an extra day on the end of the cruise to make it to GA. We went to Port Canaveral for a Freedom cruise, took the early self disembark and were in the car on the way home by 730am made it to VA before dark.

I do think I am persuaded away from driving to Miami or ft lauderdale though. That is a LONG drive!

My best advice for about any travel decision making question is don't let yourself get too overwhelmed by all of the options. Pick the one you want and don't look back. You can never do it all in one trip so don't lose any sleep trying. Look at it this way -- you will have to take a few dozen more to see what you missed. How can that be bad?

Enjoy the looking and planning [to me that is half (well at least 27.34%) of the fun of any trip]. With due respect to Carly Simon, anticipation can be a good thing.

Most importantly, enjoy your cruise.

Edited by mjldvlks

My best advice for about any travel decision making question is don't let yourself get too overwhelmed by all of the options. Pick the one you want and don't look back. You can never do it all in one trip so don't lose any sleep trying. Look at it this way -- you will have to take a few dozen more to see what you missed. How can that be bad?

Enjoy the looking and planning [to me that is half (well at least 27.34%) of the fun of any trip]. With due respect to Carly Simon, anticipation can be a good thing.

Most importantly, enjoy your cruise.

Yes planning is at least 27.34% of the fun for me too! I could look at options and choices for HOURS!

My advice, Enjoy your first cruise. My wife and I took our first cruise on the Freedom of the Seas in 2012. We had a great time. Both of us fell in love with cruising. Then we took our 2nd cruise in Oct and again it was on the Freedom.

Whatever you decide it will be right for you. but most of all enjoy it.

Yes planning is at least 27.34% of the fun for me too! I could look at options and choices for HOURS!

And don't forget to:

1. Research the normal weather for the places you will visit on the dates you will be there. [Weather Underground is great for this]

2. Look up the history and culture of your ports of call.

3. Consider the available excursions -- ship sponsored and private.

4. Go over your packing list many times. Maybe even pack and unpack a few times to get the hang of it.

5. Study the deck plans of your to identify the places you have to see [and things you have to eat/drink] while on board.

6. Find someone's pictures from your ship from a prior cruise [you'd be amazed what you can find if you look.

7. Make at least a pass through the travel section of every store you visit between now and then -- never know when they will have that perfect piece of luggage or some gadget you have to have.

8. Watch all the Royal Caribbean TV shows you can track down. It appears you are being nudged to either a Radiance or Freedom class ship. There are shows on each class as well as shows about Royal cruises to the caribbean that will help you get an idea of what cruising is like before you board.

9. Learn as much technical stuff about cruise ships as you can. [i.e. how they are built, what "gross tonnage" means, how they navigate, what SOLAS means, what an "azipod" and "stabilizers" are]

10. Get your travel documents in order early. [Hey -- this one is pretty important. You'll sleep better the last week if this one is taken care of.] Your itineraries are probably "closed loop" which means you can travel on a birth certificate and photo ID. But consider springing for a passport if you don't have one. Consider it an incentive to go someplace you will need it.

11. Once you have a pretty good idea which way you are going, go ahead and get involved in the roll call even if you haven't booked yet.

I can turn a 5 day cruise into months of fun.

10. Get your travel documents in order early. [Hey -- this one is pretty important. You'll sleep better the last week if this one is taken care of.] Your itineraries are probably "closed loop" which means you can travel on a birth certificate and photo ID. But consider springing for a passport if you don't have one. Consider it an incentive to go someplace you will need it.

I love this list!!! Esp checking out the travel sections and the tv shows!

I already have my passport application ready just waiting bc I'm doing it as a Christmas gift to myself with my Christmas money. :-) I've already been thinking about all the options that will be open to me once I have one!

Side question: why don't cruise ports stamp your passport? I was reading about it on another thread of someone people getting "novelty" stamps which I would never want to do.

As a travel agent and a cruiser the best advice I can give is: While you are on the ship buy a next/future cruise certificate. It costs $100.00 and you also get $100-$200 onboard credit on the future cruise you book.

When you find a cruise you want to book in the future you can use that certificate and get the cruise for a $100 per person deposit.

So all you will have to pay when you reserve the new cruise (for 2 people) is another $100 and you will get $100 credit that you already paid for the certificate and when you cruise you will get $100-$200 onbaord credit as well.

If you do this, does the TA still get commission for the future cruise?

Sent from my KFSOWI using Forums mobile app

If you do this, does the TA still get commission for the future cruise?

Yes, the future cruise certificate is automatically associated with the travel agent you used on the current cruise, so when you take that future cruise, the same agent gets the commission.

If you want to switch travel agents (or not use one at all) be sure to tell them that up front.

Brilliance of the Seas from Tampa.

I whole heartedly agree with this recommendation. The Radiance class ships are the perfect first experience for the enjoyment of the sea, which some of newer ships lose. They are small enough to get to know and explore easily and large enough to not be bored.

If for some crazy reason you don't LOVE cruising:eek::confused: you won't feel 'stuck' and if you DO love it, it's a great start of a life long addiction. :D

If so, as suggested, join the Crown and Anchor society on board, and get your next cruise certificate for reduced deposit and OBC.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

Yes, the future cruise certificate is automatically associated with the travel agent you used on the current cruise, so when you take that future cruise, the same agent gets the commission.

If you want to switch travel agents (or not use one at all) be sure to tell them that up front.

Excellent - thanks!!

Side question: why don't cruise ports stamp your passport? I was reading about it on another thread of someone people getting "novelty" stamps which I would never want to do.

I'm glad they don't, we had to send our passports back for additional blank pages to be added.

. . .

It varies. Not sure why, probably don't want to create long lines unecessarily. Some places we got stamps, some we didn't. But I have heard that many places that don't stamp as a matter of course will stamp if you ask.

Enjoy your cruise and I hope you get a lot of use out of your passport.

If you want to do the flowrider, then the Freedom out of Port Canaveral. If you don't care for that, the Brilliance out of Tampa would work. I prefer the Eastern Caribbean ports, but that is purely personal preference.

I would book the weeks that have the cheapest rates. Those will almost always have fewer kids. When the kids are sailing the prices reflect that with higher prices.

jc

Just a quick piece of advice... The port of Tampa frequently has problems with dense fog. If you plan on doing a 5 night cruise try and avoid Tampa. Dense fog had delayed our cruise once from Tampa and we lost one whole day which on a 5 night cruise is a big deal. Rccl website is always posting travel adversary updates about dense fog in Tampa.

Just a quick piece of advice... The port of Tampa frequently has problems with dense fog. If you plan on doing a 5 night cruise try and avoid Tampa. Dense fog had delayed our cruise once from Tampa and we lost one whole day which on a 5 night cruise is a big deal. Rccl website is always posting travel adversary updates about dense fog in Tampa.

Oh noted!

Tampa I think is so much prettier than canaveral isn't it?

To be honest we weren't impressed by the port in Tampa. It didn't have that going on a tropical cruise feel. Being this is your first cruise you want to have an all around good experience. Do a bigger port like canaveral or Fort Lauderdale.

We've had friends tell us the same thing about Tampa. In fact, since the OP is driving, I think Port Canaveral is an excellent choice. It's easy to get in and out of and lots of choices for parking, which is a consideration in this case. Several hotels in the area have park & cruise packages, and there's parking at the port as well. Whatever you choose, you've made a great first step by joining these boards. We've learned a TON from people here. You'll have a great time!

Haven't cruised out of Tampa, but I think it is fine. It is a big city without Disneyland. It is on the ocean, St Pete is ok. That said, I like the Port Canaveral area. It does feel beachy and Tampa doesn't. I love the flowrider, so for me it is a no brainer. That said the Brilliance is a nice ship.

Plus, at Canaveral you have Ron Jon's and the NASA stuff, plus it is close to Orlando if you want to do theme parks too. I still prefer the eastern ports, too.

jc

To be honest we weren't impressed by the port in Tampa. It didn't have that going on a tropical cruise feel. Being this is your first cruise you want to have an all around good experience. Do a bigger port like canaveral or Fort Lauderdale.

You should have seen the port (banana docks) when I was a kid in the 50's...scary place.

But it really is an easy port to cruise out of, especially if you like western Caribbean.

We usually drive over to Port Canaveral, Ft. Lauderdale, or Miami. We just returned from a Freedom of the Seas and Disney Dream cruise, it was easy walking over to the Dream when we got off the FOS.

Agreed. Its catching a cruise ship downtown in a big city and it was hard to get in the spirit at first. plus we stayed over by the airport at Rocky Point and traffic from the hotel and back was a nightmare. It also takes forever to get out to the ocean.

That said, it was a very easy embark and debark process.

ive only cruised out of Mobile, Tampa and Pt Canaveral (twice) but Pt Canaveral is by far my favorite so far.

Edited by ryano