drink package or not

smith6

How much are buckets of beers on Reflection and do they charge for 7 days if you decide on the drink package.

The buckets of beer are buy 5 for the price of 4 (or was it 6 for the price of 5?).

The drink packages are charged for all nights from the time of purchase until the end of the cruise. On a seven night cruise it would be for 7 nights if bought in advance or on embarkation day or 6 nights if bought the day after embarkation, etc.

The advance purchase price of the packages is $5/night less than the on board cost (smaller difference for non-alcoholic packages).

I would like to save as many trips as possible :D.

However I am assuming that I will have to get my beers one at a time.

Anybody seen or experienced differently?

One at a time it is!

with the exception that, if you have two cards you can get two at a time.

Yes 1 at the time, and 2 cards ? that would mean my wife is not getting a drink...not a good idea for my health lol

As for drink package or not ? We are not heavy drinkers, far from it but personnaly i will take it on all my cruises, had it last april on Connie and loved it, was on Disney Wonder this past october, Disney don't offer drink packages anyways, but it was a pain to calculate or think of budget before going to get a drink, and we did get over our budget for drinks.

To us drink packages is one of advantages of X over Disney the only other cruise line we had.

If you are only interested in drinking one kind of beer you can save money by buying it by the bucket. The beers are not opened and you can take them back to your cabin. At $50 per day for the package you would need to drink 10 beers or so to break even. Many times they also have happy hours where you get BOGO.

Dotn buy the first bucket when in the home port as some will charge sales tax that wipes out any savings.

If you are planning on drinking other things than get the package but it is all a matter of how much you feel drinking is worth and what you want to spend. I have been on a lot of cruises and survived without having one and have never had my bar tab greater than the cost of a package. The times where I got the package for free I drank more than normal and it was nice to have but I don't think that I could justify paying for one. I know many will say they love the freedom but reading posts of many cruisers everyone is looking for a way to save a buck here and there.

It is all up to the indivual.

.🎅🎄

Hi

I know that wine up to $8 per glass is included on the classic package but does anyone know what kind of choice that would be? Is it just house wine and if so how good are they.

I don't think I can justify the premium package but am tempted with the classic, I just don't want to find a poor selection is available and end up having to pay again for drinks we want.

MY partner likes a decent Merlot does anyone know if there is an $8 one?

WHITE WINES

$ 7.00 – J&H Selbach, RIESLING, KABINETT, Mosel-Saar-Ruwer, Germany

$ 7.50 – Bollini, PINOT-GRIGIO, Trentino, Italy

$ 6.50 – Raimat, ALBARINO, “Castell de Raimat”, Costers Del Segre, Spain

$ 6.00 – Jean-Luc Colombo, VIOGNIER, “La Violette”, Languedoc, France

$ 7.50 – Ken Forrester, CHENIN BLANC, Stellenbosch, South Africa

$ 6.50 – St Francis Vineyards, CHARDONNAY, Sonoma County, California, USA

BLUSH / ROSE WINES

$ 5.50 – Beringer, WHITE ZINFANDEL, California, USA

$ 7.00 – Jean-Luc Colombo, ROSE, “Cape Bleue”, Cotes de Provence, France

$ 5.50 – Torres, ROSADO, Catalunya, “Sangre de Toro de Casta”, Catalonia, Spain

RED WINES

$ 6.50 – Cune, TEMPRANILLO, Crianza, Rioja, Spain

$ 7.50 – Rutherford Ranch, MERLOT, Napa Valley, California, USA

$ 7.00 – Montgras, CARMENERE, “Reserva”, Colchagua Valley, Chile

$ 7.50 – Ross Estate, SHIRAZ, “Lights Out”, Barossa Valley, Australia

$ 7.00 – Wente Vineyards, CABERNET SAUVIGNON “Heritage Blend”, San Francisco Bay, California,

USA

LATE HARVEST WINES (Lush & Silky)

$ 8.00 – Barton & Guestier, SAUTERNES, Bordeaux, France

FORTIFIED WINES (Rich & Refined)

$ 6.00 – Fonseca, LATE-BOTTLED VINTAGE PORT, Porto, Douro, Portugal

$ 7.00 – Taylor Fladgate, TAWNY PORT, Porto, “10 Year Old”, Douro, Portugal

BY THE GLASS in MDR MARCH 2013

CHAMPAGNES Be SPARKLING WINES

FANTINEL, PROSECCO, EXTRA DRY, "CUVEE PRESTIGE", ITALY

DOMAINE CHANDON, ROSE, "ETOILE", CALIFORNIA

DOMAINE CHANDON, BRUT, ·CLASS1C", CALIFORNIA

CODORNIU, CAVA, BRUT, "ANNA DE CODORNIU", SPAIN

PERRIER-JOUET, "GRAND" BRUT, CHAMPAGNE, FRANCE

WHITE WINES

CONUNDRUM, WHITE BLEND, CALIFORNIA 12

J. & H. SELBACH, RIESLING, KABINETT, MOSEL-SAAR-RuWER 7

BOLLlNI, PINOTGRIGIO, TRENTINO 7.5

RAIMAT, ALBARINO, "CASTELL DE RAIMAT", COSTERS DEL SEGRE 6.5

CLIFFORD BAY, SAUVIGNON BLANC, MARLBOROUGH 8.5

JEAN-Luc COLOMBO, VIOGNIER, "LA VIOLETTE", LANGUEDOC 6

KEN FORRESTER, CHENIN BLANC, STELLENBOSCH 7.5

ANTON BAUER, GRUNER VELTLINER, "GMORK", WAGRAM 9

MICHEL REDDE, POUILLy-FUME, "LA MOYNERIE", LOIRE 11

GRGICH HILLS, CHARDONNAY, NAPA VALLEY 16

BENZIGER FAMILY WINERY, CHARDONNAY, SONOMA COAST 6.5

CELEBRITY CRUISES, CHARDONNAY, "CELLAR MASTER", CALIFORNIA 8.5

BLUSH / ROSE WINES

BERINGER, WHITE ZINFANDEL, CALIFORNIA 5.5

JEAN-Luc COLOMBO, ROSE, "CAPE BLEUE", COTES DE PROVENCE 7

TORRES, ROSADO, CATALUNYA, "SANGRE DE TORO DE CASTA", CATALONIA 5.5

RED WINES

KENDALL-JACKSON, PINOTNoIR, "VINTNER'S RESERVE", CALIFORNIA 8.5

PONZI, PINOTNOIR, WILLAMETTE VALLEY 17

CUNE, TEMPRANILLO, CRIANZA, RIOJA 6.5

NOZZOLE, CHIANTI CLASSICO, "VILLA DI NOZZOLE", TUSCANY 8.5

RUTHERFORD RANCH, MERLOT, NAPA VALLEY 7.5

MONTGRAS, CARMENERE, "RESERVA", COLCHAGUA VALLEY 7

CELEBRITY CRUISES, CABERNETSAUVIGNON, "CELLAR MASTER", CALIFORNIA 8.5

BODEGA CATENA ZAPATA, MALBEC, "CATENA", MENDOZA 8.5

DRY CREEK VINEYARD, ZINFANDEL, "OLD VINES", SONOMA COUNTY 12

Ross ESTATE, SHIRAZ, "LIGHTS OUT", 8AROSSA VALLEY, 7.5

YANGARRA ESTATE, GRENACHE, "OLD VINES", McLAREN VALE 10

CHATEAU CASTERA, MEDOC. CRU SUPERIEUR, BORDEAUX 10

FREEMARK ABBEY, CABERNET SAUVIGNON, NAPA VALLEY 16

WENTE VINEYARDS, CABERNETSAUVIGNON, "HERITAGE BLEND",

SAN FRANCISCO BAY 7

Edited by snowyboy

I am also curious if its worth it. I was on a RC cruise about 7 years ago and we seemed to spend a fair amount on alcohol.

Considering it is our honeymoon my hubby and I are leaning towards getting the premium package.

Would love feedback from people who do enjoy their drinks on the cruise if it is worth the $1200 on a 10 day cruise?

Cheers,

CruiseLovinNewlyweds

I am also curious if its worth it. I was on a RC cruise about 7 years ago and we seemed to spend a fair amount on alcohol.

Considering it is our honeymoon my hubby and I are leaning towards getting the premium package.

Would love feedback from people who do enjoy their drinks on the cruise if it is worth the $1200 on a 10 day cruise?

Cheers,

CruiseLovinNewlyweds

My advice is to sit down and calculate how much realistically you'll drink and then go from there. Also take into consideration how many sea days you have (or days where you'll be spending more time on the ship).

On our last cruise (7day Caribbean) we got the premium alcohol package for my husband (premium non alcohol for me) and it was well worth it. My husband enjoys high end rums, martinis and top shelf liqueurs. He also enjoys the freshly squeezed OJ at breakfast, the coffee drinks at Cafe Al Bacio as well as grabbing bottled water on our way off the ship.

In comparison, on our 12 day med cruise we didn't bother with drink packages since it was very port intensive and it was cheaper to just buy our drinks individually.

One thing I love about the packages is not having to sign anything. I also loved that I didn't have to think about the onboard account. If I wanted a drink I would just get one and not think about how much I've already spent on drinks that cruise (which was the case when I didn't have the package).

My advice is to sit down and calculate how much realistically you'll drink and then go from there. Also take into consideration how many sea days you have (or days where you'll be spending more time on the ship).

On our last cruise (7day Caribbean) we got the premium alcohol package for my husband (premium non alcohol for me) and it was well worth it. My husband enjoys high end rums, martinis and top shelf liqueurs. He also enjoys the freshly squeezed OJ at breakfast, the coffee drinks at Cafe Al Bacio as well as grabbing bottled water on our way off the ship.

In comparison, on our 12 day med cruise we didn't bother with drink packages since it was very port intensive and it was cheaper to just buy our drinks individually.

One thing I love about the packages is not having to sign anything. I also loved that I didn't have to think about the onboard account. If I wanted a drink I would just get one and not think about how much I've already spent on drinks that cruise (which was the case when I didn't have the package).

Thanks so much for the info! On our 10 day cruise we have technically 5 full sailing days so I think it woulld be good to pass the time with some lovely beverages. When your husband had the premium package was there any alcohol that was not included?

Cheers,

CruiseLovinNewlyweds

Super advice! We had the classic package and felt that we got more than the package cost between all of the types of beverages that were included. It was nice to be able to order wine with dinner and not have to sign, order an after dinner drink and not have to sign, grab that bottle of water for a day in port...

Super advice! We had the classic package and felt that we got more than the package cost between all of the types of beverages that were included. It was nice to be able to order wine with dinner and not have to sign, order an after dinner drink and not have to sign, grab that bottle of water for a day in port...

Awesome thanks! Also one last question that my husband had, with the premium (or classic) drink packages, is there a limit in total to the number of drinks you can order? Per day?

Thanks again,

Cruiselovinnewlyweds

...was there any alcohol that was not included?

Cheers,

CruiseLovinNewlyweds

Wine sold by the bottle is not included although with the premium package you get a discount on it. Wine and drinks over $12 are also excluded but with the premium package you only pay the excess over $12. Most Champagnes were over the $12 but they have some nice sparkling wines under. The only spirits I recall being over $12 were a few higher end wiskies and cognacs but there were some nice selections of those within the $12 limit too.

Awesome thanks! Also one last question that my husband had, with the premium (or classic) drink packages, is there a limit in total to the number of drinks you can order? Per day?

Thanks again,

Cruiselovinnewlyweds

No limit.

Something to think about....

We are not HUGE drinkers, but elect the premium beverage package. We do NOT expect to "get our money's worth", but view it as a treat we give ourselves.

We like knowing there won't be any type of surprise bill at the end....we like not having to sign slips, having the ability to do wine pairings at dinner, being able to try new drinks without feeling pressured to stick with the tried-and-true - just in case we might not like the new drink. We like knowing that we can just quickly stop by a bar and get a bottle of water anytime we want, splurge on a fancy coffee or have fresh squeezed OJ.

There is no daily limit (unless you get really schnockered and behave poorly - in which case they will cut you off).

I've read that the cost is more if you purchase the package onboard as opposed to ahead of time. Not much $5 or so, but still something to think about. You CAN purchase only a portion of your cruise....the package must be purchased at least 3 nights prior to the end of the cruise, is prorated, but extends from your purchase date to the end of the cruise (so you can't just purchase it for just the sea days).

We really like the packages. I might suggest you try it once and do a cruise without it, then compare. It really is the only way to truly judge if it is for you.

Hi

We are drinkers and find the packages a great for us .Last cruise on Celebrity we elected to buy several wine packages before we embarked but found it a bit of a faf waiting for people to go to the cellar to get the wine.

On other cruises we buy the packages and it gives us the freedom to wander the ship and drink in any bar.We were lucky we booked our cruise very well in advance and got it included in the price and although there is no such thing as a free lunch we think we shall enjoy it(We have never felt we had not had value even though we usually pay quite a lot for the package itself)

Thanks so much for the info! On our 10 day cruise we have technically 5 full sailing days so I think it woulld be good to pass the time with some lovely beverages. When your husband had the premium package was there any alcohol that was not included?

Cheers,

CruiseLovinNewlyweds

He tried a few rums that were $13 each, so he only had to pay an extra $1. With the classic package, he would have had to pay the full price. There were a few other rums, cognacs and whiskey's that were over $12 but most were $12 or less. These were all at Michael's Club.

I don't recall seeing any mixed drinks/cocktails that were over $12. As LSimon mentioned above, wine by the bottle isn't included. However, most wines by the glass are $12 and under.

The only other thing I recall not being included was a "martini flight" at the martini bar. It's $15 for 6 small martinis - it's a great way to sample them. However, since the premium package will cover the cost of a full martini, you can just order full size versions one at a time :) The only time we order the martini flight is when we don't have a package.

If you plan to order just 1 martini a day it's worth upgrading from the classic to the premium package.