Bon Voyage Pacific Dawn Papua New Guinea Cruise!

Kiwi_cruiser

how many tenders did they have running at the tenders ports

It varied. There was problems with tendering at Kitava, they were only running 2 tenders as the 3rd broke down, so that slowed things down, and there were a few upset people there.

At Kiriwina & Doini there were 3-4 tenders running at various times of the day.

What did you do at Kitava? Which of the two K islands did you prefer?

Barry

At Kitava you can walk to the village or to the lookout on top of a small hill near to the beach. Lovely views from there over the island and the sea.

Snorkelling, swimming, craft stalls were all enjoyed.

You could jump into a local canoe (5 kina)and be ferried to the smaller island not very far away and explore that one as well. Beach activities mainly, good snorkelling on the small island as well.

Friendly locals.

We didn't prefer one island over the other, as we did different things on both islands and enjoyed each.

What did you do at Kitava? Which of the two K islands did you prefer?

Barry

At Kitava we looked at all the crafts that were set up along the beach, swam in the beuatiful clear water, provided enterainment for the locals, and went for a canoe ride to a smaller Island that was just off the main island.

Hard to say which of the two I preferred though... They were both very similar, but different at the same time, if that makes sense. We seemed to get a better reception at Kiriwina, but perhaps that was because we were the second ship there.

Mum loved Kitava, and says that it's replaced Dravuni in Fiji as her "escape island" for those days when she would rather be somewhere else.

Thanks for the webcam shots, KC and KK. Awesome cruise. The trees on Kitava reminded me a little of Champagne Bay (which is still my favourite) but the beach wasn't as nice. We were surrounded by canoes with welcoming locals when we arrived - they put on a show bailing them out and falling in the water. I saw one taking photos of us taking photos of them. :D

Rabaul was wonderful - Yamamoto's bunker, the Japanese barge tunnels, the Kokopo War Cemetery was beautiful and peaceful - very well looked after. To top it off the volcano erupted just as we were about to leave port, for the first time in over a month. :)

• 4 weeks later...

All pretty pictures of the ship bow, but where are the reports of the various ports in Papua New Guinea????

Perhaps no one visited New Guinea on the P&O ship????

All pretty pictures of the ship bow, but where are the reports of the various ports in Papua New Guinea????

Perhaps no one visited New Guinea on the P&O ship????

Patience, Widbay. :D We have literally not stopped since we got back, due to many causes. I am hoping to get something written up now that we have got Christmas out of the way. I've started uploading photos.

Patience, Widbay. :D We have literally not stopped since we got back, due to many causes. I am hoping to get something written up now that we have got Christmas out of the way. I've started uploading photos.

YEAH -- come on Sandy!!! WE WANT PHOTOS ! WE WANT PHOTOS!!! :)

Barry

• 2 weeks later...