Cruise Critic Community
FotoPeg

Viking Rhine Getaway ~ Rudesheim Opt Tour

Has anyone taken then Rudesheim Option Evening Tour that includes a mini-train ride into town, a dinner and performance of folklore entertainment along the Drosselgasse?? So

We're on the Rinda, leaving Basel on December 7th and just got our cruise documents (hurray!!). I haven't heard anything on CC about this tour so don't know if its a new one but would love to hear from anyone who's taken it to know if its really worthwhile!!

Thanks anyone for your comments, reviews, or thoughts!!!

Don't know about this performance of folklore entertainment along the Drosselgasse, but on our AMA trip to Rudesheim we were taken after dinner to Siegfried's Mechanical Music Cabinet Museum, which we loved.

Thanks much for your quick reply! Will keep this in mind as they describe the tour when we're aboard our ship. A blog I read from 2012 also mentioned going to Siegfried's and was surprised it was so good! Good to have this info beforehand!

Has anyone taken then Rudesheim Option Evening Tour that includes a mini-train ride into town, a dinner and performance of folklore entertainment along the Drosselgasse?? So

We're on the Rinda, leaving Basel on December 7th and just got our cruise documents (hurray!!). I haven't heard anything on CC about this tour so don't know if its a new one but would love to hear from anyone who's taken it to know if its really worthwhile!!

Thanks anyone for your comments, reviews, or thoughts!!!

We did not take this optional since we had taken something similar on another visit to Rudesheim, but several people on our trip did and enjoyed it. If you are in Rudesheim when the markets are open you might want to just walk around there. We were there when the booths were being built and nothing was open; the town was dead.

H2Otstr ~ Thanks SO much for the info!!!! Kathy Wolfhart ~ I think we found one of those stores in Rothenburg in 2008 during a Germany car trip!! WOW - it was June and we wandered in and siuddenly were transported into Christmas - what a store!!!! I'll definitely add this to our list!!! This is the kind of info I was hoping for!!!!!

Do you remember about how far the store and Christmas Markets were from the docking? Our itinerary says the optional tour comprises a "mini-train ride into town" and dinner and a folklore performance along the Drosselgasse. Just wondering how doable it would be on our own! I know we'll get more details onboard but just really beginning to put thinks together!!

Thanks much!!

H2Otstr ~ Thanks SO much for the info!!!! Kathy Wolfhart ~ I think we found one of those stores in Rothenburg in 2008 during a Germany car trip!! WOW - it was June and we wandered in and siuddenly were transported into Christmas - what a store!!!! I'll definitely add this to our list!!! This is the kind of info I was hoping for!!!!!

Do you remember about how far the store and Christmas Markets were from the docking? Our itinerary says the optional tour comprises a "mini-train ride into town" and dinner and a folklore performance along the Drosselgasse. Just wondering how doable it would be on our own! I know we'll get more details onboard but just really beginning to put thinks together!!

Thanks much!!

It's less than a 10 minute walk along a promenade. It is a little dark, so you might even want to take a small flashlight if you don't see well at night. You will walk along the promenade, cross the rail tracks and head left. There is a REALLY nice shop on that street that also has gifts and Christmas ornaments, nutcrackers, smokers, clothes, etc. I have purchased several things there on two different occasions. I collect the Rosina Wachtmeister cats and this store has a HUGE collection.

Anyone know if this excursion is very beer intensive?

We are not beer drinkers , so I don't know if it would be worth the 59 € pp. on Viking. That's over $160 for a mini train ride and dinner, which is otherwise provided by the ship. Anyone know about how many hours this evening excursion is and if it includes wine or something other than beer? Is the entertainment worthwhile?!

This is the only optional excursion I am not sure of.

I know we want to do the WWII site and the Alsace wine tasting.

I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has done this Rudeshein optional tour.

Thanks

Robin

Hello robinlynn,

just my thoughts on this, as I have not done the small train tour evening excursion. 59 Euros sounds a lot. When I was there in autumn I walked the town on my relatively young legs in one hour and saw almost all the shops. The town is small, but if you have problems with hills and cobblestones the train ride might be an option. Google maps could give you an idea of distances. It is a wine-growing region so wine is abound! Doing the Alsace wine tasting and Rüdesheim excursion may give you twice the similar thing, but then you could also compare two ways of entertaining and dining...

It is possible to do your own wine-tasting from the extensive menus and find a restaurant that has a band playing for all the customers. Rüdesheim is so much geared to English-speaking guests that you will have no problem finding your way around (including the menus).

The Christmas market website is http://www.weihnachtsmarkt-der-nationen.de/en/market/

You can check out Rüdesheim (or Rudesheim without the Umlaut) on youtube.

The German name is Käthe Wohlfahrt by the way and the stores are in Rothenburg ob der Tauber (main shop and seat of the company), Rüdesheim and Stillwater USA among others.

Have a great cruise.

notamermaid

Oops, I think I got you mixed up: Fotopeg are travelling, aren't they? Have a great time, too!

Edited by notamermaid

notamermaid ~ thanks SO much for the CM site - looks fabulous!!! I thought Rudesheim would be a "dud" but now thinking it might turn out to be a most wonderful place!!!

Living "right there" on the Rhine - please, please, please keep us updated on the weather!!!! You've been SO helpful!!!!

Hello Fotopeg,

happy to help! :)

I saw that you sail from Basel. The official English website of Basel looks informative.

As regards the weather: temperature here is now about 40 F, but expect Basel to be cooler than my area as it is higher above sea level. A little bit of snow was forecast for Basel today, whereas we had a light wind and no rain.

Temperatures tend to get sligthly higher as you travel downstream till you pass the Cologne area.

Generally speaking, water levels are fine right now. Not too high or low for navigation.

notamermaid

Thank You for the additional information! And especially regarding the water levels!!!! Every time I see rain is due in Basel I worry about problems arising as the water rises!!!! But whatever will be, will be and we'll make the best of it!!!! But that doesn't stop me from hoping we have a smooth trip!!!!!

Thanks for all your help!! Where about do you live? We where in Germany on a road trip in 2008 and spent an overnight on the Rhine - in the castle in Oberwesel, Hotel Auf Schoenburg - it was fabulous!!!! That whole area of the Rhine was SO beautiful we always wanted to return on a River Cruise! And now only 2 weeks away!!! Can't wait - but don't want it to go by too quickly!!!!

First, best wishes to all readers who celebrate Thanksgiving.

Have had some rather informative emails with a VP at Viking who commented on "papers,information" arriving only days before a cruise. He said that Viking intended to post the majority of this information on its web site instead. Should I return there as that's where this optional tour is described? Was just quite focused on Breisach and the Black Forest tour that has generated so much, at least ambivalent, discussion. My reading of Colmar and region (from materials sent is that it is a very interesting place, quite separate from WWII issues (I mean, how many of us were at least 18 on December 7?)

Really hope that all will take the time to post their day-by-day experiences on their Viking Rhine cruise -- very interested to read how the ship and port activities adjust to the changing weather and cultural activities. Apparently Viking's position is that the extremes of water level experienced last summer were a statistical exception rather than a new continuing issue brought on by global warming -- however, I saw the effects in Alaska, saw the effects above northern Canada, watched a program on melting glaciers in Nepal, and now understand that both in Norway (where we will spend time at 8 ports next June/July) and in Switzerland, glaciers are shrinking.

Understand that we should be on the lookout for the new longboats (Danube and Rhine) to be put into service by ceremony in Amsterdam early in 2014.

DJ:)

I think we will be on one of those new ships, the Lif...doubt that there will be any notable changes from the first group of Longships....and any problems with a new vessel should be addressed out by our September voyage.

Thanks for all the great information. We can't wait to take this cruise. We will be taking this cruise at the end of December. We are in our mid 40s. What is the age range of the travelers usually?

We sailed with Avalon in July and stopped at Rudesheim early afternoon, we had free tour to Siegfried's Mechanical Music Cabinet Museum, and then wine tasting in a restaurant. We were taken there by little road train which helped as it was all up hill. After organised tour we then took cable care ride up over the wineries and then came back a walked through shops and lanes and then back to boat. The Siegfried Museum is well worth going to but not sure about dinner at price quoted. I would look at doing Museum and restaurant on your own, not part of tour or stay on board for dinner and do Museum before or after, not sure of opening hours.

Hello peterdkiwi,

We sailed with Avalon in July and stopped at Rudesheim early afternoon, we had free tour to Siegfried's Mechanical Music Cabinet Museum, and then wine tasting in a restaurant. We were taken there by little road train which helped as it was all up hill. After organised tour we then took cable care ride up over the wineries and then came back a walked through shops and lanes and then back to boat. The Siegfried Museum is well worth going to but not sure about dinner at price quoted. I would look at doing Museum and restaurant on your own, not part of tour or stay on board for dinner and do Museum before or after, not sure of opening hours.

This sounds like a good idea. Here is the link to the museum (they also have a toy and model railway museum in Rüdesheim).

http://www.ruedesheim.de/en/discover-ruedesheim/museums/

The musical cabinet is open in the evening by prior arrangement it seems.

notamermaid

30 F at 9.15am this morning. Grey and boring sky.

Thanks for the great information....I thought the 59E pp seemed pretty high as well. And we are doing the Alsace wine tour on another day.

Is it all uphill to get to the Mechanical Music Cabinet Museum? I wonder if the little road train is just for ship's organized tours or is open to the public. :confused:

Thanks again,

Robin

Thanks everyone for your suggestions, comments and advice!!!! I think we'll have to listen to the description of the optional tour and then decide. However, DH has fallen in love with Rudesheim and we haven't even seen it!!! He's thinking that maybe we just go and have dinner on our own - but can't decide where!!! We found this link very helpful:

Rudesheim: Gastronomy & Cafés

Thanks to Peterdkiwi and Notamermaid for all of the Rudeschein information.

I think we will probably visit on our own after dinner on the ship.

I just have to find out if the little mini train is just for those on an excursion,

as it sounds like a difficult climb to get to the town.:confused:

Thanks again

Robin

Hello FotoPeg and RobinLynn,

here is the link to the mini train operator:

http://www.winzerexpress.de/E_Winzerexpress.html

You could even contact them yourselves if you wished. I interpret the page as: tour runs frequently, lasts half an hour, but if you want guarantee of a seat as a group, book in advance. Or you could phone the tourist information centre. Perhaps an adventure, but do not worry, they will be used to speaking English and listening to all kinds of accents, I am sure! :)

It might be good to enquire as you will not be alone in Rüdesheim. Apart from the locals, local coach tours and individual visitors, there will be at least one other cruise ship moored as well (information as of today). So, potentially packed out.

The docking stations are right at the town (around between 100 metres and 1 km max. away), it is not really that steep, it is not like climbing the hill to Braubach Marksburg. :D And no steps either.

On a more personal note: Rüdesheim would not be my favourite stop on a river cruise, I would go for Mainz round the corner, or even "sophisticated" Wiesbaden. Uniworld does Mainz on some itineraries, I saw. Wiesbaden is just 9 stops or 32 minutes from Rüdesheim by train, by the way. But for experiencing good old Germany with lots of wine and song Rüdesheim is perfect! :) I am sure you will truly enjoy it.

notamermaid

River water level has fallen, rain forecast for tomorrow.

notamermaid ~ once again thank you for the mini-train site - looks very interesting and must we fabulous in warmer weather! Unfortunately, looking at our intinerary it seems that we dock at Rudesheim about 6:30pm (I guess I should say 18.30) which mean it'll be dark and not much to see of the vineyards - we'll have to plan another trip!! I guess that's why Viking offers the Dinner/show option. We'll have to decide if we do it with the ship or just strike out on our own and where - everything looks SO good!!!

Thanks you also for the heads-up about another ship docking there. Do you have a site for River docks and the number of ships on different days? I do have one but only ocean ports are listed - was helpful on other cruises to "be prepared" for crowds or lack of them.

My husband has a customer in Halle, Germany that he often does research for. He told her he'd be away for awhile on a Rhine River cruise and she was so surprised we'd be coming to Germany for a vacation at this time of year - too cold!! And then I look at just the Viking cruises, about 4 a week for 4 or 5 weeks, and almost all sold out - Christmas Markets are a big business!!!

Thank you again for being such a fabulous help!!!!

Hello FotoPeg,

6.30pm, that is late! It makes the dinner/entertainment excursion seem like a good idea after all. The shops won't be open much longer then that time I reckon and the Christmas market closes at 8pm during the week. I hope you do not leave too early the next morning. The Christmas market only opens at 11am. What a pity it would be. But then, you will experience the great scenery of the Middle Rhine Valley starting just beyond Rüdesheim in the morning or at lunchtime.

If you would like to check out Koblenz, here is the website for the Christmas markets: http://www.weihnachtsmarkt-koblenz.de/en/welcome.html

From what I have seen on marinetraffic.com there is usually more than one ship docking in Rüdesheim per day. At the time of writing this (10.40pm Standard European Time) there are the Prinses Christina, the Swiss Gloria and the TUI Allegra. When you change the setting of marinetraffic to showing satellite image you can zoom in and make out the docking stations.

According to a German newspaper article from 2010, 1559 hotel ships stopped in 2009 in Rüdesheim (staying just for a few hours or overnight). This number has very likely gone up since then.

And yes, a lot of Germans still find the idea of a river cruise in winter, well, unusual. :D

notamermaid

Thanks Notamermaid for all of your valuable information. You have been so helpful!!

I will show my husband and ask what he thinks.

I thought it would be nice to give him some more input on some of these extra excursions.

But your information will make things a lot easier!

Regards,

Robin

Robin ~ wish we were traveling together! We could spend the time at Rudesheim together!!! Since you're going the opposite direction from us, about what time does the ship dock there? We're still uo-in-the-air about what we'll be doing.we

Notamermain ~ you sure know the Rhine!!! We'll be in Heidleberg in the morning, sail about 1pm and in Rudesheim about 6:30om. Then, according to our itinerary, our ship sails from Rudesheim "in the early morning hours" for the scenic sights along the river. We then dock in Brauback (about 10:30am from what others have reported) for the tour to Marksburg Castle - we saw this and its fabulous! The ship sails on to Koblenz and those on the MC tour join it there. We stay late in Koblenz so your link to the CMs there was perfect!!

As usual, there's just not enough time to see and do everything! Again thanks for all you help and links!!!