Cruise Critic Community
FotoPeg

Viking Rhine Getaway ~ Rudesheim Opt Tour

Hello,

glad to be of help.

As you both have the Marksburg on your itinerary: a must for experiencing the quintessential medieval castle!

Here is the link:

http://www.marksburg.de/english/frame_nj.htm

My tip: type in Marksburg Braubach on google pictures, I also saw one photo of the castle and the landscape in snow!

The castle has had good reviews from others on CC as well.

Right I am off to see a Christmas market! :)

notamermaid

Temperature 39 F now, rain forecast for today.

We decided to go with the optional tour from Viking - and we had a fabulous time!! While they provided transportation into Rudesheim, they also had town maps - have had them available at every port. So armed with the map, flashlights (we left the ship about 5pm) and directions we took off for an easy 10/15 minute walk - hardest part was crossing the one main street in this busy little town - we passed about 5 or 6 other ship's - but all docked separately lining the waterfront into town.

The CM was enchanting all lit up and SO much fun to walk through! We easily found the restaurant - also all decorated for Christmas!! Restaurant was Rudesheim Schloss (hope spelling is correct) on Drossellgasse.

What had been listed as a "folklore show" was actually a 3 piece group singing - seemed disappointing - but only at first! Once we ate they swung into action and we had such a fun night of dancing and audience participation!!! Some of us continued once aboard the ship!

Dinner was good - salad, potato soup, pork with potatoes, kraut, cabbage and apple cake & coffee for desert. Best part was a ride back in the little train.

Just wanted to share our experience with others who might be considering this optional excursion.

We decided to go with the optional tour from Viking - and we had a fabulous time!! While they provided transportation into Rudesheim, they also had town maps - have had them available at every port. So armed with the map, flashlights (we left the ship about 5pm) and directions we took off for an easy 10/15 minute walk - hardest part was crossing the one main street in this busy little town - we passed about 5 or 6 other ship's - but all docked separately lining the waterfront into town. The CM was enchanting all lit up and SO much fun to walk through! We easily found the restaurant - also all decorated for Christmas!! Restaurant was Rudesheim Schloss (hope spelling is correct) on Drossellgasse. What had been listed as a "folklore show" was actually a 3 piece group singing - seemed disappointing - but only at first! Once we ate they swung into action and we had such a fun night of dancing and audience participation!!! Some of us continued once aboard the ship!

Dinner was good - salad, potato soup, pork with potatoes, kraut, cabbage and apple cake & coffee for desert. Best part was a ride back in the little train. Just wanted to share our experience with others who might be considering this optional excursion.

Hope that you eventually post a day-by-day narrative of your adventure AND at least return here to announce its CC location? Interested in where you had "free" time, and if/how this river cruise differed from a spring/summer experience. Looking forward,

DJ:)

In Retirement ~ I promise I will post more - had thought I could do it daily but problems with posting photos was a downer - while my signal looks strong I'm still having problems sending e-mails with photos attached much less CC posts! Not sure if its them or me but something is askew - since no problem in Basel!

Second "problem" is NO time!! Too many things to do - all good!!!!

I'll post lots of info when we get home!!