Formal Night & Getting Dress Up ?

I have no problem at all with choice or with others choosing to dress down a bit, and I do know that for the folks who fly to catch their cruise, not having suitcases full of heavy formal wear and extra shoes is a big concern. As long as I don't have to look at shorts or tube tops or wife beaters at dinner, it's all good. :)

-gina-

Gina,

Oh how I wish your even-minded attitude were contagious! Thanks so much for your reasonable view. :D

Absolutely agree. We dress formally every evening and love it!

We dress every night also. Most times on a 7 dayer we will dress formally 3 times ie: Long gown for me and suit and tie for DH and when our grandsons are with us they are in a suit and tie. The other nights are semi formal ie: dressier cocktail dress for me or a long dressy maxi dress and a nice shirt and dress slacks for DH and the grandsons. We don't get to dress up in our normal lives except on our "Date nights", so when we cruise it is date night every night and we love it!

But with saying that it is also everyone's choice and if you come to the MDR tastefully dressed then what is the problem?

See ya' in 24 days Lindagop!

Have a great Thanksgiving everyone,

Gerry

Edited by TNGALOHA

Gina,

Oh how I wish your even-minded attitude were contagious! Thanks so much for your reasonable view. :D

LOL! Okay, before those who know me have palpitations or think I've been taken over by aliens, I should clarify my position. I do still harbor silent disdain for those who have ruined the grand traditions of cruising, like dressing up. And no, I am not geriatric, I just like how cruising has always held certain traditions.

And there are degrees of casual -- if all you feel like wearing is khaki's and a nice polo on formal night, then so be it. But if you come to dinner in shorts and/or flip flops, you had better have a great story loaded in the chamber about how all your luggage fell overboard. I can't figure out why some (some) people go to dinner in an elegant, beautiful dining room, complete with several courses and waiters placing white napkins in your lap, yet dress like they're at McDonalds. :rolleyes:

But it's not going to ruin my dinner or my cruise, and that was mostly my point. Can I still keep your compliment, though? :D

Edited by crazy4themouse

Pardon me? Care to explain that off-the-cuff remark? :confused:

Didn't think it needed explanation. You're pretty consistently being negative about formal nights and those who like to partake in them. I think you believe you're the voice of reason, but you come across as snotty, with comments about "geriatric prom" and "glorified theme night" and such. But, as I said, perhaps you'll catch some of the more even-minded attitude that you were praising. :cool:

We dress formal. Different outfits for both nights. I only change the color of my tie/vest with my tux. I 'make' my wife get two new dresses before the cruise. She doesn't resist. Cothes shopping is part of the fun of planning the cruise.

We do because we want to and is a fun part of cruising for us since we rarely get dressed up for dinner at home, except once during Christmas time.

Oh boring me...

The "suggested dress" code has worked very well. If you want to dress up, you do. If you don't, well --- you don't!

The only people that have a problem with it are the extremists on both sides that somehow feel a person dressed differently than them at dinner has ruined their experience. I believe this to be very few people.

What about the people who choose to think everybody should dress up? Shouldn't they be allowed to act on their preference? They paid for their vacation, same as those who don't care what they or anyone else wears.

I say if you want to think everybody should dress up, go ahead. Its your vacation too. :)

Didn't think it needed explanation. You're pretty consistently being negative about formal nights and those who like to partake in them. I think you believe you're the voice of reason, but you come across as snotty, with comments about "geriatric prom" and "glorified theme night" and such. But, as I said, perhaps you'll catch some of the more even-minded attitude that you were praising. :cool:

Dear Paul,

Might I suggest you get your facts straight before casting dispersions?

1. I have never called formal night a "geriatric prom". Search this thread and you'll find who really said that. I'll graciously accept your apology in advance.

2. I stand by my thought that "formal night" is in reality a theme night. If it weren't, RCL would suggest formal wear every night. Makes sense, no?

3. I have consistently been "even-minded" about how some choose to view formal night. As an example, here is my post from the previous page on this thread:

I think it's nice that people have the opportunity to dress up, look nice for their significant other, have a special experience, etc. on formal night. Evidently, many people enjoy it, and that's nice.

On the other hand, there are those who would rather not participate in the formal theme but instead choose to dress neatly but in a more casual style. The world (not to mention the ship) is big enough to allow both schools of thought to coexist, as evidenced by RCL's obvious view of the matter. If RCL can be balanced in their view, "Can't we all just get along"?

My beef is with those who refuse to impose their view of what formal night is or is not on others. If RCL allows a certain type of dress in the dining room even on formal night, then that is the end of it.

Look before you leap, buddy. :cool:

Edited by CruiseTobey

Dear Paul,

1. I have never called formal night a "geriatric prom". Search this thread and you'll find who really said that. I'll graciously accept your apology in advance.

2. I stand by my thought that "formal night" is in reality a theme night. If it weren't, RCL would suggest formal wear every night. Makes sense, no?

3. I have consistently been "even-minded" about how some choose to view formal night. As an example, here is my post from the previous page on this thread:

I think it's nice that people have the opportunity to dress up, look nice for their significant other, have a special experience, etc. on formal night. Evidently, many people enjoy it, and that's nice.

On the other hand, there are those who would rather not participate in the formal theme but instead choose to dress neatly but in a more casual style. The world (not to mention the ship) is big enough to allow both schools of thought to coexist, as evidenced by RCL's obvious view of the matter. If RCL can be balanced in their view, "Can't we all just get along"?

My beef is with those who refuse to impose their view of what formal night is or is not on others. If RCL allows a certain type of dress in the dining room even on formal night, then that is the end of it.

Look before you leap, buddy. :cool:

This guy gets it ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Facebook-Like-Button.jpg

Edited by ryano

[quote name='crazy4themouse']LOL! Okay, before those who know me have palpitations or think I've been taken over by aliens, I should clarify my position. I do still harbor silent disdain for those who have ruined the grand traditions of cruising, like dressing up. And no, I am not geriatric, I just like how cruising has always held certain traditions.

And there are degrees of casual -- if all you feel like wearing is khaki's and a nice polo on formal night, then so be it. But if you come to dinner in shorts and/or flip flops, you had better have a great story loaded in the chamber about how all your luggage fell overboard. I can't figure out why some ([I]some[/I]) people go to dinner in an elegant, beautiful dining room, complete with several courses and waiters placing white napkins in your lap, yet dress like they're at McDonalds. :rolleyes:

But it's not going to ruin my dinner or my cruise, and that was mostly my point. Can I still keep your compliment, though? :D[/quote]

Absolutely! It's cool that you like to dress up - go for it! It is equally cool that you don't care if others do not - that's the whole point!

Have a good one Gina. :D Edited by CruiseTobey

[QUOTE]My beef is with those who [B][COLOR="Red"]refuse[/COLOR][/B] to impose their view of what formal night is or is not on others. If RCL allows a certain type of dress in the dining room even on formal night, then that is the end of it.[/QUOTE]
I'm confused by "refuse". Continue would fit better, I think.

[quote name='CruiseTobey']
My beef is with those who refuse to impose their view of what formal night is or is not on others. If RCL allows a certain type of dress in the dining room [I]even on formal night[/I], then that is the end of it.
[/quote]

[quote name='jbond']I'm confused by "refuse". Continue would fit better, I think.[/quote]

Is that your [I]suggested vocabulary[/I]? Because it seems like people can get a little funny when it comes to following [I]suggested guidelines[/I] and such ;)

Aside from a few thick comments near the start of the thread, it's been pretty much all "it's your vacation" & "to each their own" type comments, leaving me to wonder, where's the beef?

[insert sly dude with sunglasses face here]

[quote name='CruiseTobey']Dear Paul,

1. I have [I][B]never[/B][/I] called formal night a "geriatric prom". Search this thread and you'll find who really said that. I'll graciously accept your apology in advance.

[I][B]I think it's nice that people have the opportunity to dress up, look nice for their significant other, have a special experience, etc. on formal night. Evidently, many people enjoy it, and that's nice.

On the other hand, there are those who would rather not participate in the formal theme but instead choose to dress neatly but in a more casual style. The world (not to mention the ship) is big enough to allow both schools of thought to coexist, as evidenced by RCL's obvious view of the matter. If RCL can be balanced in their view, "Can't we all just get along"? [/B][/I]

My beef is with those who refuse to impose their view of what formal night is or is not on others. If RCL allows a certain type of dress in the dining room [I]even on formal night[/I], then that is the end of it.

Look before you leap, buddy. :cool:[/QUOTE]

OK. Sorry. But it doesn't change the fact that you show a generally disdainful attitude that is far from "even-minded." You are not balanced in your views. You just seem to think that your disdain is justified.

[quote name='Paul65']OK. Sorry. But it doesn't change the fact that you show a generally disdainful attitude that is far from "even-minded." You are not balanced in your views. You just seem to think that your disdain is justified.[/quote]

Paul,

Please give an instance where I am "not balanced in my views" and "far from even-handed". I can't help but get the feeling you are confusing me with someone else (it's happened before). To the contrary, I have consistently held the following view:

I am "disdainful" toward those who look down on those who choose not to participate in formal night. As stated above, those who wish to dress up for formal night are well within their right to do so. In fact, I encourage them to do so if that is what they enjoy. However, I also believe it behooves these same individuals to allow others the right to dress less formally if they so choose.

For the record, [I][B]I do not disdain formal night[/B][/I], only those who set themselves on high to cast judgments they have no right to make.

Lastly, I apologize for the typo on my last post. the last sentence should have read [I]"My beef is with those [B]who insist on imposing[/B] their view of what formal night is or is not on others. If RCL allows a certain type of dress in the dining room even on formal night, then that is the end of it." [/I]

Sincerely,

CruiseTobey Edited by CruiseTobey

I do get dressed up for formal night (either a suit or navy sport coat and gray trousers), because I like to. Being a stay-at-home dad, I don't get the chance to wear a coat and tie, like I did when I worked in an office. Other than church and the anniversary dinner, that's about it for getting dressed well.

My wife likes getting dress up, because we just don't go out like we did before becoming parents (fancy restaurants, the opera, a play, and weddings).

[quote name='DWhit']What about the people who choose to think everybody should dress up? Shouldn't they be allowed to act on their preference? They paid for their vacation, same as those who don't care what they or anyone else wears.

I say if you want to think everybody should dress up, go ahead. Its your vacation too. :)[/quote]

Not sure I follow you.

• 3 weeks later...
[quote name='Elvis1209']Getting back to that "Geriatric Prom" comment: If I ever run into you I'll........................I'm sorry I forgot what I was going to say!
I would wear a tux on formal night if I could only remember where I put it!

Elvis (I think)[/quote]

Hahaha! I'll offer to buy your geriatric rear-end a beer... and then assume you'll forget by the time it comes around to pay up!

Surprised the chain mail picture has not been posted yet!!

I dress in a Tux for formal nights because my wife tells me to. I don't enjoy it but it makes her happy and of course that is the purpose of my life:D

I wear shorts and t-shirts everywhere at home and only put on long pants for dinner on cruises.

I do think lines need to be in place though. We once had a guy with the hairiest armpits sitting at tour table. I wish they made him wear a shirt that covered the armpits, but they didn't. It didn't ruin my dinner or my cruise, but I thought there ought to be a rule concerning hair length or something.