Rumors about January C&A changes

Karter

Don't know if this has been discussed yet or not - couldn't find it by searching. We just returned from a cruise on the Freedom of the Seas and there was a lot of discussion in the concierge lounge about an announcement in January involving the C&A levels. I have heard the speculation on a new level between D+ and Pinnacle but the rumors suggested that the levels required to enter the diamond and concierge lounge would be changing also. Evidently there are just too many diamonds (over 650 on some cruises in December) to adequately serve in the venues available. I also know they are experimenting with coupons you can use at any bar so maybe that is the solution.

Does anybody have any real information on what is planned?

Don't know if this has been discussed yet or not - couldn't find it by searching. We just returned from a cruise on the Freedom of the Seas and there was a lot of discussion in the concierge lounge about an announcement in January involving the C&A levels. I have heard the speculation on a new level between D+ and Pinnacle but the rumors suggested that the levels required to enter the diamond and concierge lounge would be changing also. Evidently there are just too many diamonds (over 650 on some cruises in December) to adequately serve in the venues available. I also know they are experimenting with coupons you can use at any bar so maybe that is the solution.

Concierge lounge access should really begin at 350 points. People with 500 points receive same benefit as those with 175 - a new level really is necessary if RCL wants people to remain loyal.

Concierge lounge access should really begin at 350 points. People with 500 points receive same benefit as those with 175 - a new level really is necessary if RCL wants people to remain loyal.

And how many points do you have?

The Pinnacle Club was invented to be a level of Diamond Plus to recognize those cruisers that had 700 points. Those 700 points could be a combination of number of cruises and suite double point bonuses. If you read the C&A site you will discover that there are added benefits that kick in at 340, 350, and 500 points. So people with more cruises get added perks like dinner with an officer. Not to mention that cabin upgrades are, in part, based on where you fall in C&A points.RCCL has not seen a need to differentiate that wide spread between the entry point to D+ and Pinnacle with another named level. No added level is necessary to keep people loyal to RCCL. By the time you get to 175 points you have sailed RCCL 25 times for a week unless you sail primarily in a suite. If anything, disenfranchising people that have gained CL access by virtue of sailing enough to have 175 points would be far more likely to turn someone against sailing RCCL. The uproar that occurs every time a C&A program change occurs is pretty telling.

There is a thread going on right now about this if you wanted more info. People who were on the Indy are talking about it. Supposedly they did a trial on their sailing.

The trial that they did on the Indy was issuing 3 drink vouchers for those that were entitled to drinks in the Diamond lounge. it had nothing to do with adding a new level or changing who was allowed in what lounge.

As cruising couple that will turn D+ after our Feb cruise, I'm very interested in why you think changes are coming in January. Where does your information come from?

The trial that they did on the Indy was issuing 3 drink vouchers for those that were entitled to drinks in the Diamond lounge. it had nothing to do with adding a new level or changing who was allowed in what lounge.

No, I respectfully beg to differ with you on that point. I was a Diamond member who was disinvited from the CL. I am now D+ (for several years) who may be disinvited from the CL. In my experience, most of the people in the CL are just there for the free drinks. I think the drink voucher idea is a good idea, but I hope the RCCL won't make the same mistake again by taking the CL benefit away from those who have already earned it and been enjoying it. Maybe they could "grandfather" in the C&A members who already have access!

The voucher program will allow those who are just there for the free drinks to go where they would like and enjoy company of friends who may not have the same benefits.

Edited by Mystaken

This I just a thought, but I was speaking to my TA today about points system and how someone can have over 1400 C&A points. That's a awfully lot of days at see! Anyway the conversation strayed to another cruise line, P&O I think? And their loyalty points program, is or is going to run over a rolling 18 month. If that's true, that would shake up the C&A system if RCCL decided to go down that route wouldn't you say!?

Just out of curiosity how do people feel about suite guests who have been on maybe one or two cruises getting more benefits than diamond members?

When the Concierge Lounge was first introduced, it was for Suite Guests and only Suite Guests. It doesn't matter if this is their first cruise or their tenth cruise, they are paying for a suite which gives them more amenities than someone who books a JS or lower cabin category.

When the Concierge Lounge was first introduced, it was for Suite Guests and only Suite Guests. It doesn't matter if this is their first cruise or their tenth cruise, they are paying for a suite which gives them more amenities than someone who books a JS or lower cabin category.

you are correct Patti, and I feel it will go back to gold sea pass card only.

and real soon...

Edited by phish tales

No, I respectfully beg to differ with you on that point. I was a Diamond member who was disinvited from the CL. I am now D+ (for several years) who may be disinvited from the CL. In my experience, most of the people in the CL are just there for the free drinks. I think the drink voucher idea is a good idea, but I hope the RCCL won't make the same mistake again by taking the CL benefit away from those who have already earned it and been enjoying it. Maybe they could "grandfather" in the C&A members who already have access!

The voucher program will allow those who are just there for the free drinks to go where they would like and enjoy company of friends who may not have the same benefits.

I had the same experience several years ago as well when they made the CL D+ only. For 1 cruise we were in the Diamond area and we resented it. I read most of the thread from Indy and the trial seemed to be very loose. People comments ranged from ones about the bartenders not even bothering to swipe the cards to the estimate that there were 1000 plus Diamond and up passengers. They didn't use the CL but instead used two areas on the Promenade for entertaining during the cocktail period. There were also comments from people on Liberty. We just were on Serenade in the Med and there were 41 D+ on board and the CL was not ever crowded. The T/A cruises seem to be the issue and so deal with those few cruises and not the world in general.

The one important thing to remember is the drink vouchers were in addition to all existing CL &DL perks and not a sub for those benefits.

I agree that a voucher option would take a load off the CL and the DL. The CL's can be delightful, but sometimes crowding on some cruises makes it less so.

I doubt they will grandfather those who have access. I think it would create two classes of D+ members with similar (or reversed) numbers of points. Imagine one couple has 176 points, and therefore gets grandfathered access the day the grandfather rules goes into effect. Their friends have 174 points the day the grandfather clause goes into effect; the next week they go on their long anticipated B2B in a GS, so they soon have 202 points. The friends might have to wait years to get access for lack of a point on the day grandfathering was institued:eek:, but they have more points than couple number one. As good friends, both couples would be unhappy with the cruiseline.

Edited by Starry Eyes

What Patti said! Also, I have long suspected that when all ships have a Diamond Lounge, D+ pax will be allowed only in the DL so that the Concierge Lounge will revert to its original function as a suite only perk(and Pinnacle). We are D+ and usually stay in suites for the past 3 years. We prefer the DL on most ships over the CL...the view us usually better(depends on the ship) and it is larger. The times I have been in CL's on several ships over the last two or so years, it appears that most of the people there are not in suites, but are D+. And in many cases they stay there for nearly the entire cocktail hour!

Edited by 39august

I had the same experience several years ago as well when they made the CL D+ only. For 1 cruise we were in the Diamond area and we resented it. I read most of the thread from Indy and the trial seemed to be very loose. People comments ranged from ones about the bartenders not even bothering to swipe the cards to the estimate that there were 1000 plus Diamond and up passengers. They didn't use the CL but instead used two areas on the Promenade for entertaining during the cocktail period. There were also comments from people on Liberty. We just were on Serenade in the Med and there were 41 D+ on board and the CL was not ever crowded. The T/A cruises seem to be the issue and so deal with those few cruises and not the world in general.

The one important thing to remember is the drink vouchers were in addition to all existing CL &DL perks and not a sub for those benefits.

just got off the EX. and we had 172 dia+. the CL was very very crowded. the suite guests had to stand because the dia+ members arrived at 4:30pm and took all the seats.

CHANGE IS COMING----

It would be great to see the conceirge lounge revert back to suite guests only.

Just out of curiosity how do people feel about suite guests who have been on maybe one or two cruises getting more benefits than diamond members?

Based on what they pay for their staterooms the perks that they receive are in line. The fact that frequent cruisers and long time cruisers receive "loyalty" perks is in line with rewards programs across not only cruise lines but also hotels and airlines. Loyalty programs exist to give the consumer a reason to make a choice to patronize one provider over another. Just like the airlines...there is the Admirals Club for frequent business flyers to join and then there are perks that come with paying for a much more expensive seat in First or business class. Free drinks, no paying for extra luggage, etc. The people that run loyalty programs have lots of programs to look at when they contemplate changes.

The Diamond lounge is an excellent facility. We have met several good friends there and repeat cruises have been booked on the strength of friendships formed in the diamond lounge.

I do struggle with the odd selection of free drinks on ships where no diamond lounge exists. As a D+ member I can take myself off to the concierge lounge but you limit the friends you can go with.

I think the voucher scheme is a good one as it allows those cruising with non C&A enabled friends the opportunity to enjoy both their company and also the benefit of a couple of complimentary pre-dinner drinks.

Overall the C&A programme does encourage people back into the brand. You know you'll get looked after, enjoy a few perks and it all adds to the sense of value.

Henry :)

I agree with everything you said! What rumor did you hear that it will happen in January? (I'm on Allure in February.) Maybe they could give discounts on various levels on the drinks packages?

Are Diamonds being kicked out of the Diamond Lounge for all time or just for the nightly cocktail hours and being supplanted by the vouchers? Does this mean Diamond members no longer can stop in for a daytime coffee or another place for a quiet breakfast? That seems....wrong.