The New Celebrity Captains Club is Here!

danrad

While I agree with the way some people got bonus points to keep them the same distance from becoming Elite.

I do feel that X dropped the ball when they left out the people who had already booked and paid for cruises that were within final payment. I know they had to draw the line somewhere, but I just feel that these people (me included) were neglected.

Then to rub salt into the wound, X offers bonus points to those people who book new cruises again leaving the same group who had already paid high and dry.

[quote name=MicCanberra;41092728

Then to rub salt into the wound' date=' X offers bonus points to those people who book new cruises again leaving the same group who had already paid high and dry.[/quote]

To rub the salt even deeper into the wound they only give those points if you book the higher price cabins.

The way I understood it, they gave bonus points to those close to elite (7, 8 and 9 points), to keep them in the same position they were in prior to the change. Even though I'm sure that there are some that feel that it should be harder for them to become Elite, since some have been complaining that there were too many Elites. I think they also listened to those that have been complaining for years that it is unfair to reach the tiers using the shorter cruises, thus for those with 7, 8 or 9 points would have to take 7 night or more cruises to get to Elite.

Someone with 7 points received 210 points, plus 30 bonus points for 240. That leaves them 60 points short - which would be three cruises (might not be the ones the customer was planning) seven nights in inside or oceanview, but is still only 3 cruises short. Which left them in the same position they were in prior to the change....

In my opinion you do not understand how the changes negatively affected some of us despite your many calculations. I don't want to rehash everything previously said, but (to save you all time of digging thru this and the "Why CC Stinks for Me" thread) here are excerpts from some of my posts:

"I fully agree with your comments (see my post above). I do not question X's right to change a program, but how it was done without prior notice. They should have given 6 month notice like most other businesses do, including the airlines, banks, etc.

"Like you, I booked Celebrity (Eclipse 30Nov) and learned of the changes while on board. I had 8 credits and should have reached Elite level with the sailing, but now fall a cruise short (BTW X did not give me any extra points for Veranda or Concierge level on prior sailings). Yes the small monetary advantages of reaching Elite was a consideration in booking, after price, itinerary and other factors. You, I & some others can see the contractual obligations involved while still others are willing to accept without protest and even book another cruise to reach Elite level. Basically, that level is worth $50. for internet, plus a bag of laundry, a dry clean garment and 2 pressed items. The rest is mostly fluff. While I consider the reward program a worthwhile amenity, I would not book an extra cruise(s) to attain Elite (even a cheap 3 day itinerary adds up to more than the rewards after fare, taxes, etc.) but would possibly do so for Elite+ or higher because of the greater rewards.

"I also have complained to Celebrity but doubt they'll respond positively. My response will be to take my business elsewhere- Holland America and Princess, where I have Platinum status are in the same category as X. If enough customers did this, they'd eventually understand- not much different than their reducing prices when many cabins are not sold on a sailing. However, involving the BBB is a consideration. The problem is X would probably offer a discount certificate for a future cruise with too many restrictions to be of value as I've seen in the past."

As stated above, I book based on many factors including price, amenities of value to me, etc., etc. and the rewards programs are worth only so much in figuring the best cruise, In the end I'm confident I've done really well in booking some 300 days on cruises.

"Anyway, I glad that other posters see the ethics issue, etc. involved it as do you and I."

"The proper way for X to make changes to the system, in my opinion, would have been to announce it well in advance to take effect in say six months. They would have avoided a lot of bad feelings and negative publicity. Apparently, cutting costs by reducing benefits to improve their bottom line was more important."

The way I treat my customers has resulted in successful businesses, happy repeat clientele and Celebrity should do likewise. Some of you folks appear "married" to X. Fine- overall they do a good job, but so do others and the competition is good for the buyer. X is also falling down in some areas as is the entire cruise industry. But, you reached a level and now want to exclude others. That's like building a house, then saying the neighborhood is overcrowded and we must stop further development.

Bottom line is still this was an underhanded way for them to cut expenses and it was handled quite poorly. You can try to justify the changes, but I'm convinced it is all about the bottom line.

While I agree with the way some people got bonus points to keep them the same distance from becoming Elite.

I do feel that X dropped the ball when they left out the people who had already booked and paid for cruises that were within final payment. I know they had to draw the line somewhere, but I just feel that these people (me included) were neglected.

Then to rub salt into the wound, X offers bonus points to those people who book new cruises again leaving the same group who had already paid high and dry.

AMEN- well stated! X had our money. We were 'in penalty' and couldn't do anything about it despite their breaking the contract. See my post a few minutes ago for more details- it's about the bottom line!

"Like you, I booked Celebrity (Eclipse 30Nov) and learned of the changes while on board. I had 8 credits and should have reached Elite level with the sailing, but now fall a cruise short (BTW X did not give me any extra points for Veranda or Concierge level on prior sailings).

First, you broke the quoting on your post and it's almost impossible to see where the quoted piece ends and your post begins. If you can still edit the post, please try to fix it.

Second, if you had 8 credits then with the bonus points you should have been able to get to Elite with your next cruise if it was going to generate 2 points. Did you do something like book inside or outside for 12 nights? I had 8 credits (and now 265 points) and my 7 night Concierge Class cruise will get me to 300 points and Elite. 12 nights in a balcony would also have done it.

And you WERE given extra points from your previous Concierge level cruises because you had an extra point as a result of that.

I've seen more than a few posts state that it was unethical of Celebrity to make the changeover to the new program immediately and they should have announced the proposed changes and put in place 6 months from now.

I guess the relatively few who were very close to a next tier and were adversely impacted see that as a good idea. But do you see the problem it would raise with the many hundreds if not thousands who were Elite and moved to Elite Plus and Zenith?

Celebrity announcement: "Here are the new programs, but we will hold off for 6 months because there are some cruisers who will get upset they can't adjust their future cruise plans to reach the next tier unless we give them 6 months to do so"

This thread would have reached 5,000 posts with everyone screaming that Celebrity was holding off giving them the new tiers just to save money, and a whole ton would be so mad they weren't getting all "their goodies", they'd all move over to xxx Line.

You can see that not implementing the program would have caused real issues with many more, don't you?

And unethical and saying airlines and banks wait 6 months to implement new programs? Nope. My bank sent me an email and immediately started charging me for my checking account.

They can and do. It's called business and it's in the contract and has nothing to do with ethics.

Yes, we can all come up with some mechanization of how Celebrity should have done this, but it seems that each idea gives the poster the better deal even if it messes up a whole lot more people.

Den

I've seen more than a few posts state that it was unethical of Celebrity to make the changeover to the new program immediately and they should have announced the proposed changes and put in place 6 months from now.

I guess the relatively few who were very close to a next tier and were adversely impacted see that as a good idea. But do you see the problem it would raise with the many hundreds if not thousands who were Elite and moved to Elite Plus and Zenith?

Celebrity announcement: "Here are the new programs, but we will hold off for 6 months because there are some cruisers who will get upset they can't adjust their future cruise plans to reach the next tier unless we give them 6 months to do so"

This thread would have reached 5,000 posts with everyone screaming that Celebrity was holding off giving them the new tiers just to save money, and a whole ton would be so mad they weren't getting all "their goodies", they'd all move over to xxx Line.

You can see that not implementing the program would have caused real issues with many more, don't you?

Den

No one has mentioned those people who had booked (and paid for) cruises in higher priced cabins which give them more points under the new system than under the old. They would not have been happy either if implementation was put off for 6 months. I, too, had 2 cruises booked and paid for (inside and oceanview), one of them leaving Nov 26. Disappointing? Yes. Unethical? I don't believe so. I certainly won't stop cruising Celebrity because of it. We had heard for a long time that there were too many Elites to accommodate on the ships and that changes were coming. I was happy I didn't lose any of the benefits I had already earned. At least they didn't take away a great benefit like RCI did when they booted the Diamonds out of the concierge lounge.

And unethical and saying airlines and banks wait 6 months to implement new programs? Nope. My bank sent me an email and immediately started charging me for my checking account.

They can and do. It's called business and it's in the contract and has nothing to do with ethics.

Yes, we can all come up with some mechanization of how Celebrity should have done this, but it seems that each idea gives the poster the better deal even if it messes up a whole lot more people.

Den

Actually, when Carnival rolled out their new plan, they gave folks more than a year to earn under the old system. There were far fewer complains than praise, the opposite of what we see here.

I have seen many posts claiming that it was too easy to become Elite and that there were too many Elites.

But I have not see any figures stating how many of the Elite passengers (and what percent of the total) have received the Elite level on Celebrity simply from being Diamond or Diamond Plus on Royal Caribbean compared to the passengers who became Elite by actually taking Celebrity cruises.

If anyone has those statistics and is willing to post them here, the results should be quite interesting.

I have seen many posts claiming that it was too easy to become Elite and that there were too many Elites.

But I have not see any figures stating how many of the Elite passengers (and what percent of the total) have received the Elite level on Celebrity simply from being Diamond or Diamond Plus on Royal Caribbean compared to the passengers who became Elite by actually taking Celebrity cruises.

If anyone has those statistics and is willing to post them here, the results should be quite interesting.

That is an interesting point.:D

Well, those that had booked and paid for cruises actually didn't cruise yet, so I understand why they wouldn't get the points. Everyone can't be happy; Celebrity had to draw that line and that is where they drew it. And from what I hear, there will be no changes or exceptions.

[quote name=luvdaislands;41093539

In my opinion you do not understand how the changes negatively affected some of us despite your many calculations. I don't want to rehash everything previously said' date=' but (to save you all time of digging thru this and the "Why CC Stinks for Me" thread) here are excerpts from some of my posts:

"I fully agree with your comments (see my post above). I do not question X's right to change a program, but how it was done without prior notice. They should have given 6 month notice like most other businesses do, including the airlines, banks, etc.

"Like you, I booked Celebrity (Eclipse 30Nov) and learned of the changes while on board. I had 8 credits and should have reached Elite level with the sailing, but now fall a cruise short (BTW X did not give me any extra points for Veranda or Concierge level on prior sailings). Yes the small monetary advantages of reaching Elite was a consideration in booking, after price, itinerary and other factors. You, I & some others can see the contractual obligations involved while still others are willing to accept without protest and even book another cruise to reach Elite level. Basically, that level is worth $50. for internet, plus a bag of laundry, a dry clean garment and 2 pressed items. The rest is mostly fluff. While I consider the reward program a worthwhile amenity, I would not book an extra cruise(s) to attain Elite (even a cheap 3 day itinerary adds up to more than the rewards after fare, taxes, etc.) but would possibly do so for Elite+ or higher because of the greater rewards.

"I also have complained to Celebrity but doubt they'll respond positively. My response will be to take my business elsewhere- Holland America and Princess, where I have Platinum status are in the same category as X. If enough customers did this, they'd eventually understand- not much different than their reducing prices when many cabins are not sold on a sailing. However, involving the BBB is a consideration. The problem is X would probably offer a discount certificate for a future cruise with too many restrictions to be of value as I've seen in the past."

As stated above, I book based on many factors including price, amenities of value to me, etc., etc. and the rewards programs are worth only so much in figuring the best cruise, In the end I'm confident I've done really well in booking some 300 days on cruises.

"Anyway, I glad that other posters see the ethics issue, etc. involved it as do you and I."

"The proper way for X to make changes to the system, in my opinion, would have been to announce it well in advance to take effect in say six months. They would have avoided a lot of bad feelings and negative publicity. Apparently, cutting costs by reducing benefits to improve their bottom line was more important."

The way I treat my customers has resulted in successful businesses, happy repeat clientele and Celebrity should do likewise. Some of you folks appear "married" to X. Fine- overall they do a good job, but so do others and the competition is good for the buyer. X is also falling down in some areas as is the entire cruise industry. But, you reached a level and now want to exclude others. That's like building a house, then saying the neighborhood is overcrowded and we must stop further development.

Bottom line is still this was an underhanded way for them to cut expenses and it was handled quite poorly. You can try to justify the changes, but I'm convinced it is all about the bottom line.

Hey, I had 8 credits and my next booked cruise would have made me Elite, but it didn't. I didn't complain, I figured out how to make it work. They don't have to give any notice, they can change their programs, cruises, etc. at will.

I'll ask the question again. Would you be upset and threatening to go to the BBB, if they missed a port, changed your cabin, cancelled a cruise due to a charter and mechanical problems, etc., because it is the same thing. You had a cruise contract for that port or cruise. Many on here (some that are complaining about the changes with the Captains Club) would say no, because Celebrity has the right to change a port or cancel a cruise or change your stateroom, because it is in the contract that they can change things at will. So why the big deal about the Captain Club changes, especially if people cruise for the experience not the points.

No matter what Celebrity would do, there would still be complaining, because there are many that feel it has to be their way or they are not happy.

Celebrity has been very successful, just look at their company, but if they were to give in to every customer's wants, there wouldn't be any ships to cruise on. You are so correct when you said they reached a level and don't want anyone else in it. That is what many Elites complained about (I've read it every since I joined cruise critic) and that is one of the reason that the program is changed. Unfortunately for them, some us will be Elite soon and it might be a little more crowded. You have them to thank for the changes.

It might be a cost cutting program in the long run, but not for some time, because of the additional perks they are awarding to customers in the two new tiers, but not for a long time. I love how some on here are now so down on Celebrity Corporate, because they won't cave into them, that every time they post, they bash Celebrity and everything is cost cutting....amazing to me why they still cruise with Celebrity.

I've been on over 30 cruises and have enjoyed each and every one of them and I hope that your cruisings experiences, no matter what line you choose, will be just as enjoyable. I'm sorry that you are so upset, but being in business I'm sure you realize that when a company makes changes, they will not be able to make everyone happy.

Good sailing!

Edited by NLH Arizona

AMEN- well stated! X had our money. We were 'in penalty' and couldn't do anything about it despite their breaking the contract. See my post a few minutes ago for more details- it's about the bottom line!

That is where I think Celebrity could have done it differently. I would have offered customers the chance to cancel without a penalty, if they were in the penalty zone. I don't think many would have actually cancelled, but since I dont' run Celebrity, they didn't do it the way I thought would be best for everyone.

First, you broke the quoting on your post and it's almost impossible to see where the quoted piece ends and your post begins. If you can still edit the post, please try to fix it.

Second, if you had 8 credits then with the bonus points you should have been able to get to Elite with your next cruise if it was going to generate 2 points. Did you do something like book inside or outside for 12 nights? I had 8 credits (and now 265 points) and my 7 night Concierge Class cruise will get me to 300 points and Elite. 12 nights in a balcony would also have done it.

And you WERE given extra points from your previous Concierge level cruises because you had an extra point as a result of that.

Bill, I'm guessing that many of those that have a problem with the changes, had booked shorter cruises.

I doubt anyone has the statistics except for Celebrity/RC. However, my sense is that it's much more difficult to become Diamond than it was (before the changes) Elite. I'm actually looking forward to getting to Elite on Celebrity so I can get a bigger balcony discount on Quantum than I would from my cruises on RC (I'm only Platinum).

Also remember that there's another level between Platinum and Diamond on RC (Emerald), while there isn't one on Celebrity.

Edited by MisterBill99

That is where I think Celebrity could have done it differently. I would have offered customers the chance to cancel without a penalty, if they were in the penalty zone. I don't think many would have actually cancelled, but since I dont' run Celebrity, they didn't do it the way I thought would be best for everyone.

This was part of the issue as people with booked and paid cruises were left with no option.:(

This was part of the issue as people with booked and paid cruises were left with no option.:(

I did mention the thought of offering those in the penalty zone the opportunity to cancel with a penalty to Celebrity, but don't think they were willing to put my plan into action. As I told them, I thought it would be a win win for them and I didn't feel that many would have actually cancelled their cruises. Oh well, it is what it is.

Edited by NLH Arizona

You had no option to cancel if you were on the ship when the change happened. I was on the second part of a TA when they changed the rules.At least they could have given the option "old" points to those in the same situation. For the final time: I don't object to the change, The Elite+ benefits are great!

Edited by Orator

You had no option to cancel if you were on the ship when the change happened. I was on the second part of a TA when they changed the rules.At least they could have given the option "old" points to those in the same situation. For the final time: I don't object to the change, The Elite+ benefits are great!
Your cruise portion that you are talking about started after the changeover, so I believe you should get the new points, not the old. Edited by NLH Arizona

My guess would be there are equal numbers of crossovers from RCCL as there are numbers who achieved Elite status by sailing Celebrity. They have many more ships, therefore an increased "audience" to draw from.

Originally Posted by luvdaislands;41093539

In my opinion you do not understand how the changes negatively affected some of us despite your many calculations. I don't want to rehash everything previously said, but (to save you all time of digging thru this and the "Why CC Stinks for Me" thread) here are excerpts from some of my posts:

"Like you, I booked Celebrity (Eclipse 30Nov) and learned of the changes while on board. The changes went into effect 25 Nov. I had 8 credits and should have reached Elite level with the sailing, but now fall a cruise short (BTW X did not give me any extra points for Veranda or Concierge level on prior sailings). Old program gave 1 point for Concierge or above - no point for veranda. 1 point for sailing, and 1 point for 12 nights or more. (Maximum of 3 points per sailing) Yes the small monetary advantages of reaching Elite was a consideration in booking, after price, itinerary and other factors. You, I & some others can see the contractual obligations (have yet to see where these contractual obligations as relates to the Captain's Club are in print) involved while still others are willing to accept without protest and even book another cruise to reach Elite level. Basically, that level is worth $50. for internet, plus a bag of laundry, a dry clean garment and 2 pressed items. (Internet alone is worth $50) The rest is mostly fluff. While I consider the reward program a worthwhile amenity, I would not book an extra cruise(s) to attain Elite (even a cheap 3 day itinerary adds up to more than the rewards after fare, taxes, etc.) but would possibly do so for Elite+ or higher because of the greater rewards.

"I also have complained to Celebrity but doubt they'll respond positively. My response will be to take my business elsewhere- Holland America and Princess, where I have Platinum status are in the same category as X. If enough customers did this, they'd eventually understand- not much different than their reducing prices when many cabins are not sold on a sailing. However, involving the BBB is a consideration. The problem is X would probably offer a discount certificate for a future cruise (Probably not after the BBB reference.) with too many restrictions to be of value as I've seen in the past."

The way I treat my customers has resulted in successful businesses, happy repeat clientele and Celebrity should do likewise. Some of you folks appear "married" to X. Fine- overall they do a good job, but so do others and the competition is good for the buyer. X is also falling down in some areas as is the entire cruise industry. But, you reached a level and now want to exclude others. (???) That's like building a house, then saying the neighborhood is overcrowded and we must stop further development.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you did not receive the requisite points for Concierge cabins in the past, I would definitely call Celebrity and let them know. Just getting that corrected would make you Elite. I'm just trying to find some positives for you in all of this. Please try and enjoy all of your future cruises - whatever cruise line you choose.

Edited by gimletgal

I did mention the thought of offering those in the penalty zone the opportunity to cancel with a penalty to Celebrity, but don't think they were willing to put my plan into action. As I told them, I thought it would be a win win for them and I didn't feel that many would have actually cancelled their cruises. Oh well, it is what it is.

They could have had the new plan take effect 75 days after announcement, thus allowing those who had made final payment to get the old plan and those who had not the chance to cancel. Obviously they did not consider it a significant enough change to have to offer customers the chance to bail if they no longer wanted to sail.

Does anyone recall how RC handled things when they changed their plan a few years ago? Was it instantaneous or was there some lead time before it went into effect? How about other cruise lines that have changed their programs?

If you did not receive the requisite points for Concierge cabins in the past, I would definitely call Celebrity and let them know. Just getting that corrected would make you Elite. I'm just trying to find some positives for you in all of this. Please try and enjoy all of your future cruises - whatever cruise line you choose.I think they did get the correct points for concierge, as there was not a question about the 8 credits (old system) previously (at least not that i saw). I think they were just upset that they did not get more points (new system) for the Concierge cabin sailing(s) in the conversion, or they just forgot about the extra credit that they had.

They could have had the new plan take effect 75 days after announcement, thus allowing those who had made final payment to get the old plan and those who had not the chance to cancel. Obviously they did not consider it a significant enough change to have to offer customers the chance to bail if they no longer wanted to sail.

Does anyone recall how RC handled things when they changed their plan a few years ago? Was it instantaneous or was there some lead time before it went into effect? How about other cruise lines that have changed their programs?

I don't think it was necessary for them to give notice. No matter what they did, there would be complaints. To give 75 days would just drag out the complaining. They could have allowed those in the penalty zone to cancel without a penalty. That would show them who is cruising because they like cruising with Celebrity and those that were just cruising for the points.