The New Celebrity Captains Club is Here!

danrad

If you did not receive the requisite points for Concierge cabins in the past, I would definitely call Celebrity and let them know. Just getting that corrected would make you Elite. I'm just trying to find some positives for you in all of this. Please try and enjoy all of your future cruises - whatever cruise line you choose.
I think they did get the correct points for concierge, as there was not a question about the 8 credits (old system) previously (at least not that i saw). I think they were just upset that they did not get more points (new system) for the Concierge cabin sailing(s) in the conversion, or they just forgot about the extra credit that they had.

I'm guessing it was a 4 or 5 day cruise, because if they had 8 points before, they ended up with 265 points under the new system and one 7 day in a concierge would make them Elite. 265 + 35 = 300.

They could have had the new plan take effect 75 days after announcement, thus allowing those who had made final payment to get the old plan and those who had not the chance to cancel. Obviously they did not consider it a significant enough change to have to offer customers the chance to bail if they no longer wanted to sail.

Had they done that, then those who had booked and paid for more expensive cabins would have complained because they weren't getting the higher points under the new system, and those who are now Elite+ and Zenith would not have been happy to delay their new benefits. That is a no win situation.

As NLH Arizona said, the only thing they could have possibly done is allow those who had already paid to cancel with no penalty.

Had they done that, then those who had booked and paid for more expensive cabins would have complained because they weren't getting the higher points under the new system, and those who are now Elite+ and Zenith would not have been happy to delay their new benefits. That is a no win situation.

As NLH Arizona said, the only thing they could have possibly done is allow those who had already paid to cancel with no penalty.

Not the only thing, they could have allowed those who had booked and paid to have options.

1. cancel without penalty or
  2. receive whichever was the higher status between the old tier credits or the new points.

Not the only thing, they could have allowed those who had booked and paid to have options.

1. cancel without penalty or
  2. receive whichever was the higher status between the old tier credits or the new points.

I sort of agree with this. The bonus point promotion seems like it was an after thought in response to complaints that Celebrity admin must have felt had some merit. They could have somehow expanded that promotion to include the after final payment cruises. Maybe bonus points could have been accrued by booking on-board amenities from time of program implementation until Feb, at which point people could have rebooked without penalty for the 25 bonus points. I'm sure that Celebrity could have come up with something creative.

Right now we're 2-3 long cruises away from Elite+, but are 69- 7 day cruises in CC or higher to make Zenith. I realize they want to keep the Zenith pool very small, but IMO that seems to be too far.

I sort of agree with this. The bonus point promotion seems like it was an after thought in response to complaints that Celebrity admin must have felt had some merit. They could have somehow expanded that promotion to include the after final payment cruises. Maybe bonus points could have been accrued by booking on-board amenities from time of program implementation until Feb, at which point people could have rebooked without penalty for the 25 bonus points. I'm sure that Celebrity could have come up with something creative.

Right now we're 2-3 long cruises away from Elite+, but are 69- 7 day cruises in CC or higher to make Zenith. I realize they want to keep the Zenith pool very small, but IMO that seems to be too far.

Of course they want to keep the Zenith pool small. Those benefits are substantial and they should be difficult to attain. If Zenith was easy to attain, who do you think would be paying for those benefits. I wonder if people ever realize that any of these programs or promotions, like 123 are paid for by the consumer. There is no free lunch.

They have provided a level above Elite that is attainable that gives more benefits. I would think that would make most people happy. Remember, everyone was Elite after a relatively small, number of cruises and now there is something more to work toward.

Of course they want to keep the Zenith pool small. Those benefits are substantial and they should be difficult to attain. If Zenith was easy to attain, who do you think would be paying for those benefits. I wonder if people ever realize that any of these programs or promotions, like 123 are paid for by the consumer. There is no free lunch.

They have provided a level above Elite that is attainable that gives more benefits. I would think that would make most people happy. Remember, everyone was Elite after a relatively small, number of cruises and now there is something more to work toward.

I didn't mean to come across as complaining. My comment was focused on what Celebrity could have done to lessen the sting for those who were upset. We enjoy Elite benefits and feel they are generous compared to other lines we've cruised. We'll also appreciate the bump up to Elite+ when we reach that level, which we also feel is reasonably attainable. However, the very large spread between Elite+ and Zenith leaves me with the "unattainable" perception when calculating that distance. With the current program a cruiser would need 600 cruise days in CC or above to reach Zenith. It appears that lots of people have realized the same and are frustrated by this.

Edited by kathynorth

I didn't mean to come across as complaining. My comment was focused on what Celebrity could have done to lessen the sting for those who were upset. We enjoy Elite benefits and feel they are generous compared to other lines we've cruised. We'll also appreciate the bump up to Elite+ when we reach that level, which we also feel is reasonably attainable. However, the very large spread between Elite+ and Zenith leaves me with the "unattainable" perception when calculating that distance. With the current program a cruiser would need 600 cruise days in CC or above to reach Zenith. It appears that lots of people have realized the same and are frustrated by this.

But think about it. If they lessened the sting, then there would be many more Elite and Elite+ and that is exactly what (and why it was changed) had been complained about by many Elites...too many Elites. These Elite folks that complained, wanted it to be harder to reach the levels, because they said it was too easy (even though it was just as easy for them to get points) and there were too many Elites making the events crowded. Celebrity just did what many (according to Celebrity) had been asking for for years.

But think about it. If they lessened the sting, then there would be many more Elite and Elite+ and that is exactly what (and why it was changed) had been complained about by many Elites...too many Elites. These Elite folks that complained, wanted it to be harder to reach the levels, because they said it was too easy (even though it was just as easy for them to get points) and there were too many Elites making the events crowded. Celebrity just did what many (according to Celebrity) had been asking for for years.

By lessening the sting I was referring to people who already had cruises booked, but were unable to rebook without penalty for the 25 bonus points. Celebrity already acknowledged they needed a buffer and introduced the bonus points program, but there was no way that someone within the final payment period could access this. I'm suggesting that if the new program implementation was better planned these situations could have also been accommodated. IMO, the issue presented by some of the more vocal posters isn't really about the revamped program, but more of the feeling that they aren't being listened to.

However, the very large spread between Elite+ and Zenith leaves me with the "unattainable" perception when calculating that distance. With the current program a cruiser would need 600 cruise days in CC or above to reach Zenith. It appears that lots of people have realized the same and are frustrated by this.

The definition of zenith is "the highest point reached by a celestial or other object." I think the idea was that it would to have a way to reward their very top cruisers, like the person you would hear about at the Captains Club reception who had been on 600 cruises (or whatever). These people did all this cruising with Celebrity without any higher level incentive to do so. Those of you who are now Elite+, you did so without any higher level to get to - did that stop you from cruising with Celebrity? What's the difference between that and a level that you cannot get to?

Personally, once I hit Elite I don't see myself making a real effort to get to Elite+. But it doesn't mean I will stop sailing Celebrity. It would be nice if I have the money and time to do so, but I don't see it as being a realistic thing for me.

By lessening the sting I was referring to people who already had cruises booked, but were unable to rebook without penalty for the 25 bonus points. Celebrity already acknowledged they needed a buffer and introduced the bonus points program, but there was no way that someone within the final payment period could access this. I'm suggesting that if the new program implementation was better planned these situations could have also been accommodated. IMO, the issue presented by some of the more vocal posters isn't really about the revamped program, but more of the feeling that they aren't being listened to.

I understood fully what you meant. If Celebrity felt that they needed the buffer, they would have given those the opportunity to re-book under the program and the offer would have been for all cabin categories, no Aqua and above. I feel that they will offer bonus point promotions as an incentive for customer to book cruises in the future.

Just because they didn't act on what those that have complained wanted, doesn't mean that Celebrity didn't listen. They obviously don't feel the complaints are warranted or there should be changes because of the complaints. Celebrity drew a line where they probably thought it would have the least amount of impact to them and be what is best for the majority of their customers. No matter what they would have done, there would have been some that are not satisfied with where the line was drawn.

Edited by NLH Arizona

Many Celebrity cruisers cruised for many years without any benefits at all and there were no points earned for taking very short cruises. There was no planning cruises to try to make a Captain's Club level. A very large group of people were considerably above the level necessary to become Elite when the program was implemented and they have been sailing for years without any other tier available. To say that it was just as easy for them to make Elite is rather disingenuous because many of them were already way past that level when the program was implemented. I don't think the changes had anything to do with complaining. It's obvious that it was too easy and the program was overwhelmed or they would not have had to make the changes.

Edited by Ma Bell

Many Celebrity cruisers cruised for many years without any benefits at all and there were no points earned for taking very short cruises. There was no planning cruises to try to make a Captain's Club level. A very large group of people were considerably above the level necessary to become Elite when the program was implemented and they have been sailing for years without any other tier available. To say that it was just as easy for them to make Elite is rather disingenuous because many of them were already way past that level when the program was implemented. It's obvious that it was too easy or they would not have had to make the changes.

They took advantage of the shorter cruises, just as others did, to get to the points they are at now. FYI, I've never taken a Celebrity cruise shorter than 7 days. I believe, and was told, that the changes were a direct reflection of the Elites complaining that it was too easy to get to Elite and that there were too many and they wanted new tiers.

Edited by NLH Arizona

They took advantage of the shorter cruises, just as others did, to get to the points they are at now. FYI, I've never taken a Celebrity cruise shorter than 7 days.

Since they had no knowledge of what the program was they weren't booking short cruises for points and since they were already way past what was necessary for Elite they weren't taking advantage of anything. They were already there. There was no "working the system" for points.

I can't imagine who told you that but the crew on board were the ones who found the situation impossible. It was obvious...that's why they began by going to vouchers on many cruises and even that was getting out of control.

Edited by Ma Bell

In my opinion what has ruined the Celebrity program was when they did the crossover from RC points to Celebrity. That move flooded the Elite lounge with many who were on their first X ship. For what it's worth I couldn't give a damn about having Diamond on RC because I have never sailed on their ships and don"t plan to. What's next, Diamond+ converts to Elite+ or Pinnacle to Zenith? Why not change the Logo to Royal Celebrity? While it may sound like I'm putting down RCCL, I'm not, but I do resent the decision to combine the programs and even though I have been a loyal Elite on Celebrity since it's inception, I am considering changing lines to one that will appreciate my loyalty to it's line more that the corporation.

Since they had no knowledge of what the program was they weren't booking short cruises for points and since they were already way past what was necessary for Elite they weren't taking advantage of anything. They were already there. There was no "working the system" for points.

I can't imagine who told you that but the crew on board were the ones who found the situation impossible. It was obvious...that's why they began by going to vouchers on many cruises and even that was getting out of control.

There had been rumors for some time that Celebrity was going to change the program. If you go back and read some of the posts, some were trying to get to 25 points, because they thought that would be the next tier which they called Elite+, which they were correct as far as the name and the number of points.

The ones that changed the program know why they did it, not the crew. I would assume that the same people who told other on here why the program was changed, is the same people who told me about the years of complaints from Elites about how they wanted to make it harder for others to become Elite and they wanted a new tier or two....just saying.

Edited by NLH Arizona

In my opinion what has ruined the Celebrity program was when they did the crossover from RC points to Celebrity. That move flooded the Elite lounge with many who were on their first X ship. For what it's worth I couldn't give a damn about having Diamond on RC because I have never sailed on their ships and don"t plan to. What's next, Diamond+ converts to Elite+ or Pinnacle to Zenith? Why not change the Logo to Royal Celebrity? While it may sound like I'm putting down RCCL, I'm not, but I do resent the decision to combine the programs and even though I have been a loyal Elite on Celebrity since it's inception, I am considering changing lines to one that will appreciate my loyalty to it's line more that the corporation.

The new program does NOT have reciprocity between Diamond+ and Elite + or between Pinnacle and Zenith. The reciprocity stops at Diamond and Elite.

If they had really wanted to reduce the overcrowding of the Elite lounge they could have removed ALL reciprocity.

The new program does NOT have reciprocity between Diamond+ and Elite + or between Pinnacle and Zenith. The reciprocity stops at Diamond and Elite.

If they had really wanted to reduce the overcrowding of the Elite lounge they could have removed ALL reciprocity.

That was the point that I was trying to make. ALL reciprocity should be removed and go back to the way things were. Get your credit where you earn it and don't cross over!

There had been rumors for some time that Celebrity was going to change the program. If you go back and read some of the posts, some were trying to get to 25 points, because they thought that would be the next tier which they called Elite+, which they were correct as far as the name and the number of points.

The ones that changed the program know why they did it, not the crew. I would assume that the same people who told other on here why the program was changed, is the same people who told me about the years of complaints from Elites about how they wanted to make it harder for others to become Elite and they wanted a new tier or two....just saying.

I'm sure the people who were Elite also noticed the problem with the program, you'd have to be oblivious to not see it but if the program wasn't a problem for the cruise line they wouldn't have changed it. I can assue you there were many crew members telling corporate they needed to make some changes as the program was unsustainable as it was.

Please share what cruise line (or any other company with a loyalty program) will value a customer's loyalty over the corporate bottom line. Any benefits they offer are geared towards convincing people to spend more money with them. Loyalty for loyalty's sake will NEVER trump profits.

Celebrity made their program based on that criteria and anyone who thinks they didn't or wants them to change to benefit passengers more is fooling themselves.