Anyone Remember the "Song of America?"

grab007

I noticed the thread about the Song of Norway and immediately thought of our first RCI cruise which was on the Song of America out of Miami. We actually cruised on her twice back in the 80's. I did a little research and she's passed through a number of different cruise lines since her retirement from RCI. I was encouraged to see that she's still afloat and cruising for Louis Cruise Lines out of Greece under the name Louis Olympia. But she was the one that really hooked us on cruising.

The Song of America was our first cruise back in 1986 and we been cruising every since. We did the Eastern Carib out of Miami that included a stop at a very primitive Labadee. They got us hook, line and sinker:D Song of America was Royal's largest ship back then (they had 4 ships in the fleet).

Edited by psupa

My first cruise was on Royal Caribbean's Song Of America in May 1983. It was the ship's twenty fourth voyage to the Eastern Caribbean. I sailed solo because none of my friends wanted to go with me. On that cruise there were one hundred single passengers that met up on the first night at the singles get together. There were fifteen guys and eighty five girls. I was never so popular in my entire life during that fun filled week. After that week I also was hooked on cruising. I sailed on her a second time solo in May 1984. I was also on the Nordic Prince in June 1986 to Bermuda with my girlfriend and sailed on the Sun Viking when she did a repositioning cruise from Los Angeles to Vancouver to begin her Alaska sailing season. Brings back a lot of great memories!

Sailing on the Song of America was my 1st cruise in July 1987. We went to St. Thomas, San Juan, and Labadee. Depature was from Miami. I recall Labadee being VERY new to the cruise line. Basically, there was lunch and the beach.

We sailed on her again in July 1994 from New York to Bermuda. This was a 7-day itinerary with stops in Hamilton and St. George.

Question....On your RCCL member points, does it go back far enough to include the Song of America & Sovereign of the Seas? I was told I have to have proof that I sailed on these 2 ships in 1988 & 1990 to have them included in my points.

Does anyone remember the skit the crew used to do that was hysterical? Something about "If I were ??? upon the seas...:confused:

Question....On your RCCL member points, does it go back far enough to include the Song of America & Sovereign of the Seas? I was told I have to have proof that I sailed on these 2 ships in 1988 & 1990 to have them included in my points.

Does anyone remember the skit the crew used to do that was hysterical? Something about "If I were ??? upon the seas...:confused:

Sailed on her 9/2/1990 for a Honeymoon cruise. Once one of the largest and most innovative ships, it seems so small now. RCCL keeps redefining cruising.

Yes, you can use the old ships for points, but they do require proof. Luckily, I had all the proof in an album!

Did a Mexican Riviera cruise on Song of America in 1998. She was our second cruise. First cruise was on Monarch of the Seas, so first two cruise ships we were on are no longer with RCI. Good to see the pictures of Song of America. She looks better now than when we sailed on her.

Question....

I know I have this on video somewhere. It was very funny with the crew doing different action in a line and those actions interacting "humorously" with the action of the crew member next to them.

Mark.

Yes, like so many of you we sailed on her for our Honeymoon in 1987. Eastern route with a very simple Labadee stop. We LOVED this cruise and were amazingly impressed by the service on this cruise. If my husband even hesitated a moment before diving into his steak the waiter jumped in to see what was wrong and how he could fix it.

We also need to find "proof" to add the cruise to our c&a.

I have talked to someone at Crown and Anchor recently and they said they have no records of anybody that had cruised way back then but if I had a photo that seemed to prove we were on the ship they would gladly add it to our cruise points. We have a gangway picture with the ship name in the picture in our wedding album and I will take a cell phone picture of it before our next cruise and visit the help desk on the ship and see if I can get it added. The lady on the phone said this would work.

20 years ago yesterday we had our Honeymoon Cruise on Song of America..........Still Married, Still Cruising! :)

30 years ago November 12 (1983) we had our Honeymoon Cruise on Song of America. Still married, too, and still cruising :)

THIS November 12th we cruised on Liberty of the Seas to celebrate :)

Congratulations to you!!!!

Our family of 4 sailed on Song of America during the summer of 1987.

According to my limited records from that time we sailed out of Miami for 14 days.

Does anyone happen to have the itinerary during the summer of '87?

I have talked to someone at Crown and Anchor recently and they said they have no records of anybody that had cruised way back then but if I had a photo that seemed to prove we were on the ship they would gladly add it to our cruise points. We have a gangway picture with the ship name in the picture in our wedding album and I will take a cell phone picture of it before our next cruise and visit the help desk on the ship and see if I can get it added. The lady on the phone said this would work.

It would be far better if you would do this now with C&A. Call them and see if you can email it to them as an attachment.

On board it most likely would be the Loyalty Ambassador that would try to help you. Most times I have had to get an appointment to see him/her. Good luck!!!