Oh No ! Schoolies Week

Funnily enough on this cruise a lot of people stayed on the ship on port days. I guess with ports like Newcastle and Brisbane, they were there for the cruise and not the sights. There were many on board who lived in Brisbane so they definitely weren't getting off! One of the drinks waitresses told us that the crew were told to treat those days as sea days, (ie full service) because of this.

Funnily enough on this cruise a lot of people stayed on the ship on port days. I guess with ports like Newcastle and Brisbane, they were there for the cruise and not the sights. There were many on board who lived in Brisbane so they definitely weren't getting off! One of the drinks waitresses told us that the crew were told to treat those days as sea days, (ie full service) because of this.

I suppose it isn't that strange but if the crew were told that and then to not have all the activities running that would normally be run on a seaday is even weirder.:confused:

I suppose it isn't that strange but if the crew were told that and then to not have all the activities running that would normally be run on a seaday is even weirder.:confused:

Activities and hospitality staff are different groups.

Rocking climbing wall was open a few times, but was mostly closed due to it being too windy. It is closed when wind speed exceeds 30kt, it was meant to be open on both shore and sea days.

And on topic there were no schoolies on the cruise, all that panic for nothing!

Edited by HPSOV

Rocking climbing wall was open a few times, but was mostly closed due to it being too windy. It is closed when wind speed exceeds 30kt, it was meant to be open on both shore and sea days.

Perhaps they should have put the wall inside, maybe up the central atrium.:D

Really it was open some days? Because we must have checked it out every day and never saw it open. Also DH was sure he saw a sign saying it was only open on sea days. We stayed on board on port days hoping to go rock climbing and it was not open.

I have two younger kids and was hoping they could go down the slide in the toddler pool and I swear they never opened the slide either. I was not happy with the outdoor facilities. So then we tried the indoor entertainment. Tried the cinema, was chock a block for one of the kids films so missed out on that too. Why do they make the cinemas so small?

Re the comments on the first page about age groups. My first cruise I was 20 years old and travelled independently. Made the booking Myself, paid for it myself and went on my own. I had no one with me. At that age I had moved out of home and was living under my own resources. That cruise was with P&O.

I think the simple fact is the legal age in Australia is 18 so therefore it would be discriminatory not to accept a legal booking from someone who is legally allowed to enter into contracts and make purchases on their own behalf.

Sounds like after years of excess the lines are trying to discourage school leavers from going.

Really it was open some days? Because we must have checked it out every day and never saw it open. Also DH was sure he saw a sign saying it was only open on sea days. We stayed on board on port days hoping to go rock climbing and it was not open.

I have two younger kids and was hoping they could go down the slide in the toddler pool and I swear they never opened the slide either. I was not happy with the outdoor facilities. So then we tried the indoor entertainment. Tried the cinema, was chock a block for one of the kids films so missed out on that too. Why do they make the cinemas so small?

If we're talking about the 5 night QLD cruise then I just checked the Cruise Compasses and the rock climbing was scheduled to be open every afternoon, sea and port days. I saw it open at least once, and closed once due wind.

The water slide was due to be open on 2 days (can't remember if it was port or sea), but only for a couple of hours a day. You need to study your Cruise Compass like I do ;)

The size of the cinema on Radiance is a common complaint.

If we're talking about the 5 night QLD cruise then I just checked the Cruise Compasses and the rock climbing was scheduled to be open every afternoon, sea and port days. I saw it open at least once, and closed once due wind.

The water slide was due to be open on 2 days (can't remember if it was port or sea), but only for a couple of hours a day. You need to study your Cruise Compass like I do ;)

The size of the cinema on Radiance is a common complaint.

The daily paper is a great source of information for planning the day whether you want to go to an activity or avoid one.:rolleyes:

…..

The water slide was due to be open on 2 days (can't remember if it was port or sea), but only for a couple of hours a day. You need to study your Cruise Compass like I do ;)…..

We saw the kids slide open on the first sea day. There was a bit of a queue but everyone seemed to be having a great time. Some parents took their little ones on it as well. As we were not up there on other sea days did not see if it was open. Again it will be closed if it is too windy.

I saw the rock climbing wall opening hours advertised in the Cruise Compass but did not check out if it was open.