Think you have privacy in your cabin? - THINK AGAIN

TheSavvyTraveler

While this has never happened to us' date=' now that I see how often it happens, it greatly disturbs me. There's just no reason for it. Why would a cabin steward need to be in a cabin at 7 in the morning anyway? It makes no sense. I would be outraged and you better believe they would have heard from me, right then and there. I do wonder if Princess is aware of this problem? If not, they need to be made aware of it. Emergencies are one thing, this is ridiculous. Simply put, they should not be entering a room where the deadbolt is in place unless they suspect something is wrong or there is an emergency.[/quote']

I think a discussion with the steward at the beginning of the cruise may be all that is needed. We normally say that on sea days we tend to get up later and do not want to be disturbed even when the sign is not out. They would then knock if there was no sign and we happened to be in.:D

I've come to the conclusion the cabin stewards have seen just about everything.

That is why I am not greatly dismayed at the thought of one of them walking in on me. He doesn't want it to happen, and I don't want it to happen.

Once I returned from going ashore utterly exhausted and went into my cabin and immediately fell asleep on the bed where I had laid down "for a moment". My steward apparently entered while I was asleep, retreated, and put the "do not disturb" tag in the key slot.

Regarding taking it to the next level: That is something I would do very reluctantly and only when I was certain I had good cause that went beyond what they are trained to do. You have to deal with the guy for the rest of the cruise.

Edited by Wehwalt

That is why I am not greatly dismayed at the thought of one of them walking in on me. He doesn't want it to happen, and I don't want it to happen.

Once I returned from going ashore utterly exhausted and went into my cabin and immediately fell asleep on the bed where I had laid down "for a moment". My steward apparently entered while I was asleep, retreated, and put the "do not disturb" tag in the key slot.

Regarding taking it to the next level: That is something I would do very reluctantly and only when I was certain I had good cause that went beyond what they are trained to do. You have to deal with the guy for the rest of the cruise.

Some good points, which is why speaking to the Steward on day one is so beneficial for all concerned.:D

A door stopper is an excellent idea.

Evelyn

Amazon sells a device that is both a door stopper and an alarm, so that if the door is opened it will stop the door and set off a loud alarm. If you have reservations about the door not being able to open in an emergency they also have an alarm that hangs on the door handle that goes off if movement is detected. I have both and use them on board and in hotels.

Have you gotten any use out of it?

While in Egypt I had some try the door handle in my room but nothing beyond that. I often travel alone so I know NO ONE will be coming into my room when I am in there. I spoke to a girl who woke up in her room in Costa Rica and some man was standing over her bed and said "Hi" before leaving with her iPod and iPhone. (Of course she screamed and people came running before the police showed up.) She was going out to buy a door stopper after I told her about it.

I think a discussion with the steward at the beginning of the cruise may be all that is needed. We normally say that on sea days we tend to get up later and do not want to be disturbed even when the sign is not out. They would then knock if there was no sign and we happened to be in.:D

Totally agree with you.

I am wondering if these few incidents could be new cabin stewards that need a little bit more training.Maybe have language difficulties. It must be overwhelming

with everything they have to learn and the large number of cabins plus passenger requests they have to handle within a short time span each day for a newbie.

Maybe have language difficulties.

If you are a steward, and you open the door of what you think is an

empty cabin...

And, then you hear someone in the room call out.

What kind of language skills do you need to tell that the room

is occupied?

Simply the sound of a voice should be enough.

If you are a steward, and you open the door of what you think is an

empty cabin...

And, then you hear someone in the room call out.

What kind of language skills do you need to tell that the room

is occupied?

Simply the sound of a voice should be enough.

And they would leave promptly while saying sorry.:D

What was their reaction when they found out the room was occupied ?

Ours handed us the do not disturb sign and said, "Did you put this in the door already?" We were so shocked, we didn't say much of anything except "Yes".

Janet

Ours handed us the do not disturb sign and said, "Did you put this in the door already?" We were so shocked, we didn't say much of anything except "Yes".

Janet

With a remark like that they have not understood instructions given to them.I would have said myself 'Why what do you mean'? Then you might have maybe just might have got an explanation.I do feel its something they have misunderstood in training.What do you think?

A door stopper is an excellent idea.

Evelyn

Not really.....Suppose you fall and can't get to the door-of have a heart attack (got forbid) or have some other malady that befalls you. Yes, you'll be "safe" in the room in which no one can enter.....

What was his explanation and what did the supervisor say about this??? That is totally screwed up and needed to be corrected then and there

Supervisor apologized we were heading out home and had a flight to catch. Supervisor said it would go in his file. I did not think too much more about the incident until I read these boards. Have written to princess regarding our concerns with the room steward having access even with the deadbolt and mentioned this thread. Have not heard back.

I was once with a friend at a store and when we arrived at the till, two staff were talking to each other about 6 feet behind the counter. After waiting an acceptable time, my friend picked up the desk phone and dialed "0" and instantly asked for store security. By this time, the staff were paying attention and rushed over. When the operator asked the problem, he said the staff who were talking can now explain. A manager arrived fast and we were very admonished for touching the house phone without asking. However, the looks suggest the staff got much worse.

I could see myself picking up my cabin phone after commanding the cabin attendant stay and quickly asking for housekeeping management or security. If the operator wanted to know why, force the inconsiderate attendant to explain it. A few ballistic angry customers and Princess would 'modify' this policy. There is nothing in a Patter which can not be left outside.

M

The cabin steward always tells me to put the privacy tag in the door if I don't want him coming in. Same thing for hotels. I've had maids unlock the door and walk in many times when I've failed to put the Do Not Disturb sign on. No difference between a hotel and cruise ship. Just put the card in the slot. Couldn't be easier and that's what it's there for.

Ditto

I use it when I take a shower too. How do they know what you are doing?

Edited by Sillyjilly