Alaska 2015?

shipfriend_max

If the Amsterdam does the two week cruise out of Seattle, I would recommend doing that. She stops at some very interesting ports and will sail all the way into Anchorage. She only did the run a couple of times this year and if the route sold well, I would expect she will do it again.

We did this cruise in August of 2012 and really enjoyed ourselves. I am not sure what class of ship she is but she holds about 1300 people and we found it just the right size for the two week cruise.

In any case, enjoy Alaska.

If the Amsterdam does the two week cruise out of Seattle, I would recommend doing that. She stops at some very interesting ports and will sail all the way into Anchorage. She only did the run a couple of times this year and if the route sold well, I would expect she will do it again.

We did this cruise in August of 2012 and really enjoyed ourselves. I am not sure what class of ship she is but she holds about 1300 people and we found it just the right size for the two week cruise.

Just a slight correction to the above post. The Amsterdam 2 week cruise did not run in 2013. It will run four times in 2014. That is why I booked on the day the itineraries were posted.

Just a slight correction to the above post. The Amsterdam 2 week cruise did not run in 2013. It will run four times in 2014. That is why I booked on the day the itineraries were posted.

You are right, of course. It must be the unexpected snow this morning that has me rattled!!!

If the Amsterdam does the two week cruise out of Seattle,

If we chosen Holland America, we would only consider one of the Vista-class-ships (NOORDAM/WESTERDAM/OOSTERDAM/ZUIDERDAM) and a 7-night North/Southbound voyage between Vancouver and Seward...

Due to the prices (according to 2014) and the target group (accoridng to friends, most passengers are retired) and the "common day at sea" the day before or after Seward (all others pass Hubbard Glacier or College Fjord that day), HAL would be our last choice... but maybe in 2015 the offers are getting a littlebit different, and for our possible Alaska cruise in 2015 we will or at least should have a look at all cruise lines doing that voyages, and compare their offerings.

Maybe there's a particular reason for us to choose HAL over the others... :)

Edited by celebrity_fan

If we chosen Holland America, we would only consider one of the Vista-class-ships (NOORDAM/WESTERDAM/OOSTERDAM/ZUIDERDAM) and a 7-night North/Southbound voyage between Vancouver and Seward...

Due to the prices (according to 2014) and the target group (accoridng to friends, most passengers are retired) and the "common day at sea" the day before or after Seward (all others pass Hubbard Glacier or College Fjord that day), HAL would be our last choice... but maybe in 2015 the offers are getting a littlebit different, and for our possible Alaska cruise in 2015 we will or at least should have a look at all cruise lines doing that voyages, and compare their offerings.

Maybe there's a particular reason for us to choose HAL over the others... :)

I agree that you should look at all cruise lines and their Alaska itineraries to make an informed decision.

However, I can tell you from experience that on HAL Alaska cruises, there are all age groups on board. I started cruising at age 43, in Alaska, in 2006. There were many people my age and younger on the Zuiderdam. It's a common misconception that people think that HAL is for the "nearly dead". This is not true, particularly for any seven day voyage.

I cruise with HAL for the understated elegance, good food, nice enrichment programs, and good company. You will not find any hairy chest contests, belly flop contests, rock climbing walls etc. You will find passengers who love to share their stories of their travels and experiences. Alaska is more about the scenery and the wildlife than anything else.

You say that you are only considering the Vista class ships; I'm not sure how many of those do a seven day one way trip. I thought it was usually the smaller ships that do the one way but, of course, we don't know yet about 2015. If you really want to do a one way, then do not rule out the small ships; they are lovely.

The Ryndam did a 7 day a couple of years ago that cruised by College Fjord before getting to Seward, so you may be able to get what you want from HAL.

HAL also has some great land tours of Alaska that you can probably add on to your cruise. Have you looked into those, at all?

Good Luck with your research. You may also want to check out the Alaska boards for port/itinerary information.

I am also waiting for the Alaska 2015 itineraries to be announced. We are doing a 16 Day Panama Canal on ms Westerdam from the 11th of April 2015 which we've already booked. We're hoping to have a couple of days in San Diego before going to Vancouver to do a 7 day round trip Alaska cruise.

The Panama Canal cruise will be our first HAL cruise after 6 Princess cruises. We are thinking of HAL for Alaska too, just because we have relatives that have done that trip and enjoyed it so much.

I guess February/March isn't too far away..... *waits impatiently* :D

I cruise with HAL for the understated elegance, good food, nice enrichment programs, and good company. You will not find any hairy chest contests, belly flop contests, rock climbing walls etc. You will find passengers who love to share their stories of their travels and experiences. Alaska is more about the scenery and the wildlife than anything else.

Thanks for your reply!!!

That's what I like, that's the reason why I really loge Celebrity Cruises and they would be my first choice for 2015!! :)

I enjoyed SUMMIT, we go on her again in 2014, and I think than we also should love MILLENNIUM - we assume she will be doing Alaska in 2015 as well.

You say that you are only considering the Vista class ships; I'm not sure how many of those do a seven day one way trip. I thought it was usually the smaller ships that do the one way but, of course, we don't know yet about 2015. If you really want to do a one way, then do not rule out the small ships; they are lovely.

I think in 2014, OOSTERDAM is also doing a one-way-cruise between Seward and Vancouver.

I prefer ships with a GT between 75000 - 100000, so CELEBRITY MILLENNIUM CLASS, HAL VISTA CLASS, NORWEGIAN SUN, CORAL/ISLAND PRINCESS, RADIANCE OF THE SEAS are my favourites.

Yeah, I will have a look on all cruise lines.

But for me Hubbard Glacier is very important, the pictures look so impressing!! :cool:

I am also waiting for the Alaska 2015 itineraries to be announced. We are doing a 16 Day Panama Canal on ms Westerdam from the 11th of April 2015 which we've already booked. We're hoping to have a couple of days in San Diego before going to Vancouver to do a 7 day round trip Alaska cruise.

The Panama Canal cruise will be our first HAL cruise after 6 Princess cruises. We are thinking of HAL for Alaska too, just because we have relatives that have done that trip and enjoyed it so much.

I guess February/March isn't too far away..... *waits impatiently* :D

We are planning on taking the same Westerdam cruise as well, (staying aboard to Vancouver) but since I am out of Future Cruise Deposits at the moment, we will not be booking until we are aboard the Zuiderdam in April.

We are planning on taking the same Westerdam cruise as well, (staying aboard to Vancouver) but since I am out of Future Cruise Deposits at the moment, we will not be booking until we are aboard the Zuiderdam in April.

Oh that's awesome! We were considering staying on but I wanted to take a few days in San Diego as I've never been there before. Do you know how many days it takes from San Diego to Vancouver if you continue on? Any ports in between?

We're coming from Australia and are hoping to do NYC and Miami beforehand.

Oh that's awesome! We were considering staying on but I wanted to take a few days in San Diego as I've never been there before. Do you know how many days it takes from San Diego to Vancouver if you continue on? Any ports in between?

We're coming from Australia and are hoping to do NYC and Miami beforehand.

It takes four days and there is a stop in Victoria, BC.

If you decide to stay aboard in San Diego and continue on, don't plan on seeing too much of San Diego that day. The Immigration process onboard for non US citizens is notoriously slow. These repositioning cruises attract a large number of Canadians and it takes forever to clear the ship for disembarkation. Nobody gets off until everyone has been cleared.

We have done the process twice in SD and the first time it was 11AM before we were let off the ship and the other time it was 10:30. I have read a fair bit about the subject here on CC and the ships are seldom cleared quickly.

When we do the repo cruise this April on the Z we will be staying aboard for the first Alaska cruise.

Edited by sapper1